Notices

Class Of November 2013 Part 3

Old 12-12-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Hi class,
Just checking in. Had a great bike ride this morning. Thinking of taking the dog to the beach today. Still no shifts at work so trying to keep myself busy.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

I like this, so thought I'd share it...

image-207140905.jpg
Old 12-13-2013, 03:34 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Love it, Siesta, thanks!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Yesterday was officially 90 days booze-free.

I've been sober for about 85 of the last 90 days.

Day 20 of consecutive sobriety! Booze/weed/controlled substance-free!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Way to go, Br00ksie, that's a great accomplishment!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
Hope you are all having a happy sober friday! Well done brooksie, thats awesome news.
We are doing secret santa at work, it is the complete opposite of a secret as everyone is telling who they've got. One of the girls said she had picked my name and was going to get me a bottle of wine! I replied that i didn't drink anymore and boy did it feel good!
I don't crave it but now and again i do feel a little sad about not having a good glass of wine with food or hanging out with friends. But i really do only miss that very first glass, the carnage that follows that first vino is hell on earth and i do not miss those feelings. I have actually had two bottles of wine in the house for two weeks now, gifts for some friends and the thought has not once crossed my mind to drink them.
Its a funny journey full of ups and downs but by far the best decision i have made in ages. At this time of year its easy to feel like you're the only person not drinking but then i log on here and realise i'm not alone!
Funny too that people i thought just liked a drink or a party now seem like problem drinkers, a friend said the other day she's been making her own wine and has drunk a bottle a night for best part of a month. Before that wouldn't have sounded like much compared to my two bottles but now it seems different. I think so many more people struggle with addiction than anyone knows.
At least we've all moved on novies, even if its seems like baby steps!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Yes, way to go, Br00ksie!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

I agree, Apophylite! I look around and notice how much others are taking in. My brain says, "Wow! She's got a problem, too!" I have to watch myself--I'm becoming a little neighborhood busybody of alcohol-sniffing!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by apophylite View Post
I think so many more people struggle with addiction than anyone knows.
I agree! And if it's not an alcohol addiction, it's something else.

My mom is so sweet, she's always trying to relate to me by talking about her chocolate addiction. It's not at all the same, but I really appreciate the point that she's trying to make, which is that we all have areas in our lives where we lack self-control.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I agree, Apophylite! I look around and notice how much others are taking in. My brain says, "Wow! She's got a problem, too!" I have to watch myself--I'm becoming a little neighborhood busybody of alcohol-sniffing!
I try not to pay too much attention to what others are drinking- It can be distracting- BUT

Now that I've stopped drinking I find that it is pretty easy to spot a problem drinker. Especially when their behaviors mimic my own!

I went to my second house party on Saturday (close friends) since getting sober (I smoked weed at the first one at the end of September after 2 weeks of sobriety) and was surprised at how many people were problem drinkers!

The next morning a friend woke up looking for the bowl of pot so that he could wake-n-bake, which I totally would have done had I still been smoking! But it just seemed pathetic to sober me.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

"Wake-n-bake" Boy, does that bring back old times! I'm amazed I still have half a brain left. So glad our bodies are so resilient to all the crap we put them through!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

10am and cold here in New England. Feeling good about my 50+ days sober. Never thought I could do it. Praying for another day sober. Still fighting the occasional craving, pity party, "just a couple nips, who would know?" thing. Still finding myself in those situations where I would hit the package store but I am determined not to give in.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Yeah--just take a deep breath and say NO. (Remind me of that around my five month mark...).
Old 12-13-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Morning all! Happy sober Friday.
Just wanted to check in. I've been so bored lately without shifts. I'm on here constantly, my closet is bordering on being a little too organized (OCD!) I rearranged all my living room furniture, went thru all old files and cleaned it all out, I'm doing crazy 2 1/2 hour bike rides, and I even grabbed the neighbors dog to walk yesterday (with my own of course). I literally have no sober friends, and can't hang out with my drinking buddies as I have no doubt that they have their own drinking problems that I shouldn't be around at this point.
Haha, I really need a winter job!
Plan is this weekend to go on a group bike ride with an all women's local bike shop. I usually go with all the guys but that's getting old and they're all my hubby's friends, not really mine. Maybe I'll start hanging out at the local coffee shops instead of the bars. I wonder if those coffee people socialize with each other like people at the bars? Probably not... Anyway, just babbling
Old 12-13-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

I'll be praying for your ladies' bike ride this weekend. I hope they'll be interesting enough that you'll want to make it a regular thing. I hope they welcome you with open arms and do not come across as catty or cliquish.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Hey November SR crew.

Haven't posted to this thread but November was my month. Day 29 for me and looking forward to many, many more.

Be Kind to Yourselves~
Old 12-13-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Welcome, FLBeachGuy!

Vedette, congrats on over 50 days! You've resisted the cravings this long, you can certainly keep it up!

Good luck with the women's group bike ride, Siesta. I need to stop being chicken and find some women to hang out with, too.

I don't go to coffee shops, but I don't think they socialize the way people do in bars. I've always imagined the atmosphere as slightly snobby, but that's probably because I picture Barnes and Noble where everyone has their nose in a book, lol.

I haven't been getting enough sleep at night, so I just got up from a nap. I had the most awful (and vivid) dream where my husband told me he cheated on me years ago and now wanted to leave me. I was so heartbroken I could barely breathe, for me and for my children from a previous marriage that he adopted. He partly blamed it on my drinking. I remember thinking that it was such bad timing that I was dealing with this newly sober, but that I would get through it somehow, and would have the support of SR (this place is haunting my dreams now, lol).

Once I woke up, I had this overwhelming feeling of being given a second chance at life, and my gratefulness toward my husband just shot through the roof! As of yet, I don't think I've ever been so happy to be sober (and happily married)!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Well, Karma just smacked me in the ass for saying I was bored. I now have to go on a 6 hour car ride with hubby (each way) to Arizona for a 9 hour orientation for parents of the children that are graduating from the program his daughter is in. Long story short, his daughter is there because she is troubled. We won't get to see her until January so this trip is just to prepare us. Be supportive, be supportive, be supportive, is what I'm going to keep chanting in my mind. Hopefully we both make it out of this road trip together alive and well.

Welcome FLbeachguy!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Maintain your serenity--even if it kills you!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Wow, hope the trip goes well for you, Siesta. Now maybe you'll think twice before throwing around words like "bored". :P