Notices

Class Of November 2013 Part 3

Old 12-11-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nomis View Post
The stress, worry and anxiety are still there and things I need to work on but the misery is gone and that is amazing.
I try to look at sobriety the same way I look at taking my antidepressant supplements (amino acids): neither one will solve all of my problems, but they both put me in a better frame of mind to deal with those problems.

Thanks for the encouraging words!
Old 12-11-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats dreamr and siesta

VitaminB - the world cup is a way off - there's lots of time to formulate a plan and beef up your support before then

D
Old 12-11-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee

Hi class. Checking in. Quiet day. Hubby gave me a rose yesterday to congratulate me on my one month of sobriety. Ironically, I have it in a water container that he pointed out that I used to use for vodka.
Hope everyone is doing well today. I'll be job hunting. My job is usually slower in winter, but this winter it's almost non existent.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you're husband is proud of you. Sounds like he's on your team--he just needed to vent a little the other day. It'll get better and better the longer you're off alcohol.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Siesta View Post
Hubby gave me a rose yesterday to congratulate me on my one month of sobriety.
I just told this to my husband and said, "Where's my rose?" He flipped me off, lol. I then told him that your husband gave you a hard time the other day (which I've not had to deal with), and he said, "Where's MY rose?"
Old 12-11-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Anytime anybody in my family gives me a hard time (which is constantly), I give them my standard response: "Kiss my fat butt!" It's like saying, "Hi, how are you?" in our house!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Anytime anybody in my family gives me a hard time (which is constantly), I give them my standard response: "Kiss my fat butt!" It's like saying, "Hi, how are you?" in our house!
My husband is all about giving me a hard time in a joking manner. I know he doesn't mean it, but affectionate words would be nice one in a while, too. And usually when I ask for a little affection, I get it in exaggerated, sarcastic doses.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Yup!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Siesta View Post
Thanks Dee

Hi class. Checking in. Quiet day. Hubby gave me a rose yesterday to congratulate me on my one month of sobriety. Ironically, I have it in a water container that he pointed out that I used to use for vodka.
Hope everyone is doing well today. I'll be job hunting. My job is usually slower in winter, but this winter it's almost non existent.
Wow, what a powerful image that is!!! The rose in the vodka glass... love preserved in a vessel that used to contain destruction. That could be the final scene in a dramatic film with a happy ending. Nice that it's real life!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Quick check-in on Day 13. Still sober. Terrible internet connection so can't post much but still reading! Good job, class of 11/13!
Old 12-11-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by dreamr View Post
I try to look at sobriety the same way I look at taking my antidepressant supplements (amino acids): neither one will solve all of my problems, but they both put me in a better frame of mind to deal with those problems.

Thanks for the encouraging words!
Love this!!!!
Old 12-11-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Hi class Nov 1st here ad 42 days sober

Man was it an interesting journey to get here. I haven't been sober this long since I was 18.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Welcome, tommyleewinters!
Old 12-11-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Tommylee

D
Old 12-11-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Gilmer that's awesome! We used to be like that too, but now we're both walking on eggshells nowadays. I think you're right that it'll just take time (sober time).
Old 12-11-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

My husband is all about giving me a hard time in a joking manner. I know he doesn't mean it, but affectionate words would be nice one in a while, too. And usually when I ask for a little affection, I get it in exaggerated, sarcastic doses.
Oh that sarcasm! I know it well! My hubby practices it so much he's decided to make it his New Year's resolution to stop. He's using that promise as an excuse to be as sarcastic as possible during the time leading up to New Year's though. Ugh!!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dirk626 View Post
Wow, what a powerful image that is!!! The rose in the vodka glass... love preserved in a vessel that used to contain destruction. That could be the final scene in a dramatic film with a happy ending. Nice that it's real life!
It is a powerful image. I think I'll take a pic to remember
Old 12-11-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

I just told this to my husband and said, "Where's my rose?" He flipped me off, lol. I then told him that your husband gave you a hard time the other day (which I've not had to deal with), and he said, "Where's MY rose?"
Lol!
Hubby doesn't typically give me flowers. He's usually "very careful with his money" (cheap as all get out) but my sobriety has our entire relationship hanging on it, so I guess I deserved one rose
Old 12-11-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyleewinters View Post
Man was it an interesting journey to get here. I haven't been sober this long since I was 18.
Welcome Tommylee!!
Congrats on your 42 days! Awesome!
Old 12-12-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Good morning, everyone, or whatever time of day it is for you.

I've been doing a lot of soul searching lately. I tend to over-think things anyway, but it's been a little different. A lot of memories are surfacing that I haven't thought about in a very long time, especially from my childhood/teenage years.

I never really thought I had a bad life, at least not compared to others. I've never been abused or had anything really traumatic happen to me. Actually, that's not entirely true, but the things that did happen were easily moved on from. Or so I thought.

Now I'm starting to question my whole life. There isn't one thing that stands out to me that traumatized me, but the combination of everything from the way I grew up to the way I've been treated by men has me thinking that maybe I HAVE been through a lot, and maybe I DO have a valid reason for having depression most of my life.

I think that maybe for a while now I've been invalidating my own feelings, telling myself that I have no good reason to be struggling and that my life should be easy. But I'm starting to realize that my life really hasn't been easy, and in all actuality, it took a boat load of strength to get where I am today (strength that has been provided to me by the grace of God).

It's like a weight lifted off my shoulders to feel like maybe I'm "allowed" to feel the way I do, and that I haven't been a failure after all. That maybe I'm doing quite well considering the circumstances. This is in no way justifying my drinking, but helps me to understand why I turned to the bottle in the first place. Even as a teen, I remember loving drunkenness because it was a small taste of happiness for me.

If there's one thing I want to learn from this, it is to never underestimate the importance of my children's feelings, or anyone else's for that matter, including my own. Also, that with God's strength, I can endure a lot more than I first thought I could.

Sorry for the ramble, just wanted to share that with someone.