Notices

Class Of November 2013 Part 3

Old 12-10-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Happy one month anniversary Siesta
Peanutty, i am so sorry to hear about your father in law, stay strong and sober!

I do read posts everyday, but do not always have time to post myself. I am doing well, day 37 today! I don't really have any cravings, like siesta my last attempt at moderation confirmed to me that I cannot drink, fullstop!!
My sneaky AV does chirp up occasionally, like yesterday, thinking of meeting my oldest friend and having a glass of red, i felt a little sad. But my sober brain kicked in very quickly, and reminded me that my friend is really not a drinker and would only have the one glass where as i would finish the bottle and probably have another. I don't miss that at all.
In fact i was at work at the weekend and two ladies in the spa ordered some wine from the bar. when the barman brought it in and walked past me i shuddered at the thought of drinking it. I actually thought i would prefer a cup of tea and that felt like real progress.
I like being in control, having money in my purse and my family being proud of me. I am even looking forward to my first sober xmas not dreading it at all. And starting next year as a non drinker is an exciting thought for me.
Hope everyone is well and has a lovely sober tues
Old 12-10-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Well I caved last night and had two drinks. I had some whiskey stashed in a cabinet that I knew was there but had been ignoring doing anything with. It was familiar having a couple drinks but it was not at all the amazing experience experience that I had spent a week working up to.

So today is December 10th and I'm not drinking today. I'm going to try not focusing quite so hard on days this time. Once I hit 30 it was like a switch and all I could think of was taking a drink to see how it tasted. I know that my date will be and have it logged. I still feel it's good for me to read and check in each day, just not focus so much at the moment how long it's been since I had one. Time will tell I guess.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're getting right back on the horse, Kiya. If you treat this as a learning experience, it doesn't have to be a setback. I think it helps for me to spend less time counting days as well.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Stick with us kiya.
I dont focus on the days either just not drinking. I only know what day im on when i check the sober time calculator before posting.
Just let those days rack up on their own, dust yourself off, and keep on keeping on!
Old 12-10-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Day 25 now. Sorry not been on much recently.

I'm a bit worried about the World Cup next year, I know it's a long way off but I can see myself slipping up then. Trying not to think about it.

Also, does anyone think a BBM group is a good idea?
Old 12-10-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Kiya, I'm proud of you for limiting the slip and jumping back on sr. You know now that you can stay sober and you also know that when the booze starts singing to you, it's making false promises.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

What is a BBM group, Vitamin B6? You've still got time before the World Cup. You'll grow stronger every day and be more mature in your sobriety by then.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
What is a BBM group, Vitamin B6? You've still got time before the World Cup. You'll grow stronger every day and be more mature in your sobriety by then.
BBM - BlackBerry Messenger. Thought it might be an idea for members in recovery to make a group & swap pins or something.

Cheers mate.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Checking in again today, it's 3 weeks for me - another 7 days to go for my one month mark. I feel pretty good, and positive. I'm reading Alan Carr's book, a lot of it makes so much sense. Feeling pretty positive about staying sober over the holidays.

Have a great day everybody.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

I don't have a blackberry, I'm an iPhone kinda gal
Old 12-10-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Just realised I've ballsed up an appointment with my doctor cos I didn't read a letter properly. Panicking now cos I don't know what to say.

Originally Posted by apophylite View Post
I don't have a blackberry, I'm an iPhone kinda gal

Came out on Android & iOS in summer. I'm on a Nexus.

Pretty good tbh.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Haven't been on for a while but still checking in. Still with everyone progressing.
Kaya, You are here again now and can carry on your journey.

Best of luck everyone for their Tuesdays !
Old 12-10-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Kiya,
I'm sorry you had a slip but I'm glad you're back with us so quickly. That takes strength.

Originally Posted by apophylite View Post
Happy one month anniversary Siesta
Thank you! I'm proud of it.

Peanutty, hope you're doing ok, thinking about
you.

Hubby let me have it a bit yesterday. I tried to tell him I was sorry I had been grumpy thru my new sobriety and that it's a struggle for me. BIG mistake. He launched into what a struggle it is for him to worry about if everyday is the day I'm going to drink and how hard it is for him to go about his daily life. All of his anger, frustration, and emotion that he's been keeping in poured out. I felt so bad I don't think I'll ever bring up my struggle again to him. I'll just keep it between me and you guys. He did ask yesterday how long I've been sober, and said congrats this morning, so I know he appreciates my efforts.

Gilmer, Bpos, Apophylite, Claire, Vitamin, bttrl8, Dreamr, Kiya, Peanutty, Vedette, Hokey, Dirk, CactusJill, Dreamr, Mel, Glen, Rickh, Tyre, Campersoft, Newme2day, Brooksie, Doperdition, and everyone else reading, have a wonderful day!
Old 12-10-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

It looks like it is going to be a tough month so it is especially nice to hear of everyone's successes, to provide something positive to focus upon.

I was just reading a thread about how people have colossal relapses that sometimes last many years. It is hard not to think relapse could be in my future. Now I feel depressed about the effort to make yet further lifestyle changes for avoiding relapse. Most of the lifestyle changes involve subtracting--cutting things out--which I understand how to do. The part I do not understand is how to add, and consequently it feels like I am increasingly consigning myself to a featureless vacuum.

I am grateful to be with you who are also making lifestyle changes, to share ideas and strategies.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Siesta, I'm sorry about what happened with your husband. Maybe after you've been sober a while longer, he will be more open to discuss things.

Mel12, I completely relate to having to cut things out and feeling like there's nothing left. Now that I'm sober, I've been addressing other bad habits, and I kind of feel like I'm not allowed to have ANY fun.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

I take classes online, Mel. That's what keeps me out of mischief!
Old 12-10-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Thinking abut all of you. Terrible internet connection where I am. Let's all stay sober!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Morning of day 32 here. I've realized that even though I don't want to think about drinking at all, it's important for me to be actively thinking about why I DON'T drink. Sometimes not just problems it did cause, but what problems it WOULD have caused if I continued.

Reading in the friends and family section and seeing how hurt some of the family members of alcohics are is helpful to remind myself what I never want to become. I was already headed down that road.

We CAN do this, and we CAN learn how to fully enjoy life without even missing alcohol. I can't wait until it's just a distant memory.

Have a wonderful, sober day everyone!
Old 12-11-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peanutty View Post
Thinking abut all of you. Terrible internet connection where I am. Let's all stay sober!
Cheers mate.

Day 26 here, think this is longer than the last time I quit. Have no urge to drink again right now. Hopefully that stays.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Hey Novies,

Just checking in again. I've been watching your progress, mainly because it brings back so many memories of where I was a year ago. Early sobriety can be darn tough, my head was all over the place anyways.

I can't say my life today is easy or without challenges. I joke to my wife that I'm doing penance now for my previous 18 years of drinking. But it is unmistakably better. The stress, worry and anxiety are still there and things I need to work on but the misery is gone and that is amazing.

We're heading into a tough stretch where there are going to be a lot of pressures and temptations, but if you can get through the next couple of weeks without drinking you've cleared a major hurdle and the sense of accomplishment will be awesome.

Keep fighting the good fight guys, lots of people are proud of y'all and rooting for you!