Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 5

Old 11-22-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Good job, WhoDey!! My one month mark was the closest I have come to relapse (it happened to fall on my wedding anniversary). So, be cautious. You know, I hope I am not overstepping my bounds, but I feel like you are pushing yourself really hard _forcing yourself to be in drinking situations. (serving drinks -YIKES!) I, too, believed every situation, celebration, holiday, etc. revolves around alcohol, but now I am not so sure that is true. A lot of my perception came from the fact that I gravitated to people and circumstances that revolved around alcohol. Yet, those weren't my happiest times. I love decorating projects. I love treasure hunting at flea markets. Those are times that I get lost in myself, those are the situations that time stands still for me. When I am lost in a fabulous book, the last thing I want is a foggy brain. I think you, WhoDey, are trying to fit Sober WhoDey into a lot of situations that maybe aren't right for WhoDey anymore?!? It is okay to change your priorities and perspectives. You don't have to live your old life, just sober. You can change your new life a little bit to fit your new sober self. If I am wrong, I apologize. Honestly coming from a caring heart . . . .
Old 11-22-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

DD ... No problem. Quite the contrary, I appreciate the feedback.

Last night was a charity event that my wife heads up, so my volunteering was being relied upon. I really wasn't tempted to drink as much as I was weakened. Does that make any sense? Relapses don't happen out of the blue. They are at the end of a process. I took a punch last night. Still standing, but I took a punch nonetheless.

Thanks for the concern. Time for me to focus on recovery. The holidays can be tricky.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

SM, how are you doing?

WhoDey, glad you got through the tough night. Take a deep breath, you made it. I feel like the month mark is when we need to redouble our efforts. Almost like we feel we've gotten things under control and think we can handle being around alcohol now, but it's not necessarily true. Anyone else feel like this too?
Old 11-22-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

WD, glad to hear that you made it out of there alive. I too have to suck it up and attend some functions with my wife as well. Just brush yourself off as these are all good learning lessons. What would get me is not the people actually drinking but the smell.

Is anyone else traveling for the holidays? Any concerns about being around alcohol? We are heading up north and my parents do not keep alcohol in the house at all. They both stopped drinking years ago. They even toast thanksgiving with sparkling apple juice.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
SM, how are you doing?

WhoDey, glad you got through the tough night. Take a deep breath, you made it. I feel like the month mark is when we need to redouble our efforts. Almost like we feel we've gotten things under control and think we can handle being around alcohol now, but it's not necessarily true. Anyone else feel like this too?
I'm okay now with being around alcohol occasionally. Don't get me wrong, I would not want to be going to bars every weekend sipping ginger ale. I just visualize having that beer or two and not being satisfied. I want way more than a beer if I drink. What I don't want is to go back to the insanity from the past.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bilr44 View Post
What I don't want is to go back to the insanity from the past.
That's what I thought about last night. I can't kid myself and say that having a drink wouldn't have been nice. The truth is, however, that I wouldn't have stopped there. I would have consumed too much and my attention/focus would have been on getting more alcohol.

We will be in situations where others will be drinking responsibly and having a good time. We can try to minimize these experiences (esp. early on in recovery), but we can't totally avoid them. What we can do, however, is take ourselves through what would happen if we had a drink. Where would it lead us and would that be a better place? Would short-term pleasure be worth the long-term consequences? For us, the answer to that question is no.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Changing the topic ... I just got a free 2-week subscription to Sirius radio. I turned on one of the country stations and it didn't take too long to notice how often alcohol consumption is mentioned and, ususally, glorified. This led me to thinking about holiday adverstisement and the frequent presence of alcohol in those ads.

Alcohol has such an accepted presence in our culture that is not afforded to other drugs. You can hear a country song glorifying getting drunk, but you won't hear a song glorifying getting high on heroin (some rock and roll songs aside). Spend one evening watching the news and note the number of reports on tragedies that end with "authorities suspect alcohol may have been a factor."

We're surrounded by positive images of alcohol consumption. Yet we're also surrounded by images of the negative consequences of alcohol. I need to keep my eyes open and see the complete picture which includes the damage alcohol has done to me personally and to those around me.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
Changing the topic ... I just got a free 2-week subscription to Sirius radio. I turned on one of the country stations and it didn't take too long to notice how often alcohol consumption is mentioned and, ususally, glorified. This led me to thinking about holiday adverstisement and the frequent presence of alcohol in those ads.

Alcohol has such an accepted presence in our culture that is not afforded to other drugs. You can hear a country song glorifying getting drunk, but you won't hear a song glorifying getting high on heroin (some rock and roll songs aside). Spend one evening watching the news and note the number of reports on tragedies that end with "authorities suspect alcohol may have been a factor."

We're surrounded by positive images of alcohol consumption. Yet we're also surrounded by images of the negative consequences of alcohol. I need to keep my eyes open and see the complete picture which includes the damage alcohol has done to me personally and to those around me.
A good eye opener would be doing a ride-along with a nighttime EMS crew. I used to work in the medical field and would chat with the EMT's from time to time. To me it is amazing that these guys would drink, but a lot of them did.

I do notice now they have advertisements for vodka (my DOC) during the early evening hours. It always shows young people and their crew having a great time at a club drinking.

My kids listen to some of the pop stuff and there are references to Molly in a few songs. A lot of the songs talking about getting drunk as well. Miley Cyrus big hit talks about doing lines in the bathroom and staying up all night.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Congrats, Whodey on making it through last night and on your upcoming 30 days! I totally agree about the glass of wine....I would have sooooo been thinking "Fill it up!"....lol....DD and Billr, I have often heard that alcoholics create their own drama...ugh....Happy to be on day 39
Old 11-22-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Trudging ... 39 days is fantastic! Didn't Driver post something about 42 days being how much time it took for the liver to regenerate itself? That is a noteworthy milstone IMO.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Yes, I think Driver did! I TOTALLY forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder, Whodey! Glad you are doing well, also!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

About the Helladays . . . . I am not that concerned about Thanksgiving. My MIL is coming for a week and she doesn't drink. She almost died of cirrhosis of the liver, so she can't drink. I have never drank a lot around her anyway.

Christmas scares the pants off of me. We are going to stay at my parents. My sister and her family will be there. All of the adults are huge drinkers. You can't walk through the door without a drink being placed in your hand. I will be treated like the poo-party. My husband will probably not drink in support of me, so we will be the pariahs. I am dreading it, but I used to dread it before, too, when I was drinking big time right along with them so, cela vie!!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

True confession time _ I was bored at work today and I kept fantasizing about having a glass of wine here and there only when out to dinner with my husband. I tried to play it out to the end, but my AV was trying to get me to realize that I did moderate over the summer, and since I have never quit drinking before, how do I know that I can't be one of those people who only have an occasional glass here or there? My AV was telling me that who else successfully gets to 55 days sober the first time they tried to quit drinking?? How can I be an alcoholic??

Anyway, just felt the need to come clean with my thoughts. I am on Day 55 which is close to another marker day (60 days), so that might be in play, too.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Same thing happened to me, DD and I caved after 53 days. I had 3 or 4 slips over the next month.
Now I'm on day 36 again, and I also am having the same thoughts again. AV tells me it's no big deal to have a drink now and then. Why do you have to count days? Can't you just be happy about how few days you've had a drink out of X number of days? AAAAH!!!
I've been really working hard to get that out of my head.

As far as the holidays go, traveling is what's best. Alcohol at a family gathering is unheard of for my family and DH's. The older generation (older than mine at 45 lol) just don't do it. When I'm at home is when the huge temptation will make its way in.
It's going to be tough! We will be at home more than we are gone.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

DD ... We're all different of course, but the first time I quit (earlier this year) I was good for 5+ months. Then I deliberately started to drink with moderation being the aim. It didn't take me very long to get back to drinking every day. That 'relapse' was important and helpful, because it answered the question for me ... that you are asking of yourself. Lots of stories on SR of people relapsing after years of sobriety. Maybe it works sometimes ... but there are lots of stories that say the opposite.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

DD,

Do you plan on reiterating with your family that you won't be drinking while you are there? Will it cause a scene if you turn down drinks from your family? It's good that your husband is not going to drink, but what if he has a moment of weakness and accepts a beer? I came close to deciding to drink a couple of beers at our Halloween party (right around day 60). I'm at the point where nobody can make me drink right now except myself.

Nice fantasy about moderating with a couple glasses of wine. I'm sure you've read enough in here where that leads. I think a lot of people cave in because they are tired of the stress of fighting the battle. That's exactly what your AV is waiting for.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Well, one can never tell what will happen in an alcoholic family. My mom was slurring her words this morning (never sure if that means she is still drunk from the night before or if she actually poured herself a glass this morning at 8 am ~ I still can't wrap my head around that) But hey, she was in an argument with my father, so it is perfectly acceptable to drink at him, right, at 8 am Friday morning?? So, honestly Billr, I will be tiptoeing into the Christmas festivities, but I really don't plan on drinking with them. There is just too much baggage now . . . .
Old 11-22-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Tough situation, DD.

Most people are accepting of a simple "no" when they offer a drink. We just received a Bar Mitzvah invite from a family where the dad is a drinker. He is not one to take "no" for an answer and I know it will be a battle. It seems that heavy drinkers are the ones who don't respect a simple "no."

I like Bilr's suggestion to think through all the possibilities. It is great to have your husband's support, but what if he does have a drink? Visioning outcomes ahead of time makes it much easier to do the right thing when in-the-moment.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Well, one can never tell what will happen in an alcoholic family. My mom was slurring her words this morning (never sure if that means she is still drunk from the night before or if she actually poured herself a glass this morning at 8 am ~ I still can't wrap my head around that) But hey, she was in an argument with my father, so it is perfectly acceptable to drink at him, right, at 8 am Friday morning?? So, honestly Billr, I will be tiptoeing into the Christmas festivities, but I really don't plan on drinking with them. There is just too much baggage now . . . .
I'm sure you will do fine. It is stressful leading up to events like this but once you are there you will do the right thing. It would be odd for me to actually drink in front of my parents as I've never really done. They would be really surprised if I told them I quit drinking but they never would have suspected. I guess we have opposite types of pressure going on here.

My parents used to have a full bar in the basement that they used for the occasional party. Some of the alcohol was really old. They got rid of it years ago when my late alcoholic brother in law used to always head straight for the basement with my sister to "watch tv". He was such a heavy drinker that after the bar was gone he was rarely ever there or would come for a couple of hours and leave.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
As I said, I made it through, but I felt like I endured a 4 hour advertisement of the wonder of alcohol. Although I can't drink, there is no escaping the facts that most people can drink, can enjoy it, and that alcohol is an integral part of many 'celebrations'.
Congratulations on making it through! I'm sure the experience will make you stronger and really help in the long run. Sometimes I get those same feelings, that alcohol can be fun for everyone else and how alcohol is a part of having fun and celebrating, etc... Something I want to point out is that alcohol isn't as big of a part of everything as we sometimes see it to be. I'm sure at that charity event you were apart of it was; however, I have to say when I really think about it, alcohol isn't too involved to the extent I remember it to be or I think it is. My family doesn't drink too much, and most people when I pay attention have a glass or two and are fine... (meanwhile I was the one trying to find more). Anyways, sorry for rambling!