D
Old 11-20-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im first on part 17
Now I have to go and read your posts lol
Old 11-20-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Way to go Renarde on establishing your boundaries!!! You Rock!!!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kane, I hope it goes well. It sounds like you both want to work at it, if it has progressed to where you are welcome, and are choosing to go back to live there. You seem very sure and solid on your recovery plan.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck Kane!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

On a much lighter note, I have to say that at least folks wont laugh when I say I am an alcoholic compared to:

Anatidaephobia is defined as a pervasive, irrational fear that one is being watched by a duck. The anatidaephobic individual fears that no matter where they are or what they are doing, a duck watches.

What Causes Anatidaephobia?

As with all phobias, the person coping with Anatidaephobia has experienced a real-life trauma. For the anatidaephobic individual, this trauma most likely occurred during childhood.

Of course, the Far Side comics did little to minimize the fear of being watched by a duck.

The symptoms of Anatidaephobia vary from person to person. Some people, when confronted with their fear, may feel slightly uncomfortable, become nauseated or begin to perspire. Others are so severely compromised by this phobia, that they experience crippling anxiety and/or panic attacks.

How Is Anatidaephobia Treated?

When the fear that a duck is watching becomes so intense as to disrupt an individual's daily functioning, there are a number of ways to treat Anatidaephobia. These can include:

•Support groups with other people coping with this phobia.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kane, good luck on moving back in. I think it's great, no, essential, that you and you partner are going for counseling. I've seen it work miracles. If you love each other and want it to work, it will.

Fish, very happy to hear you're sobering up. And the best thing about this last episode? You never have to feel this bad ever again. Hang in there, and hang with us.

Renarde, way to go on setting the boundaries.

Lillian, I hope your conference is bearable. I'm really pumped that you put yourself up for that raise! I love moxie. I'm sure you deserve the raise--hope it comes about.

Diesel, good to have you posting again.

Dee, your story amazes me almost as much as you do. Thank you for sharing your gifts with us.

I know I'm skipping lots of posts, but I already closed the window with the previous thread in it. If I didn't name you by name, I'm still keeping up with you, too. XO, friends.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Renarde

Well done on flexing those sober muscles ! Seriously, I see it as a very healthy sign as it shows that you have stronger self-confidence and the desire to protect your sobriety. It isn't easy pushing back at your other half when you've been the alcoholic.

Kudos to you ma'am !
Old 11-20-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kane, my mother-in-law has a horrible fear of birds. When she was six, a rooster flew at her and dug his talons into her scalp. Adults grabbed the rooster and yanked and yanked, but he wouldn't let go. Finally they got him off and roasted him for dinner. But the memory stayed with her!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
On a much lighter note, I have to say that at least folks wont laugh when I say I am an alcoholic compared to:

Anatidaephobia is defined as a pervasive, irrational fear that one is being watched by a duck. The anatidaephobic individual fears that no matter where they are or what they are doing, a duck watches.

What Causes Anatidaephobia?

As with all phobias, the person coping with Anatidaephobia has experienced a real-life trauma. For the anatidaephobic individual, this trauma most likely occurred during childhood.

Of course, the Far Side comics did little to minimize the fear of being watched by a duck.

The symptoms of Anatidaephobia vary from person to person. Some people, when confronted with their fear, may feel slightly uncomfortable, become nauseated or begin to perspire. Others are so severely compromised by this phobia, that they experience crippling anxiety and/or panic attacks.

How Is Anatidaephobia Treated?

When the fear that a duck is watching becomes so intense as to disrupt an individual's daily functioning, there are a number of ways to treat Anatidaephobia. These can include:

•Support groups with other people coping with this phobia.
I thought somebody was watching me
Old 11-20-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Waaaay too quiet here tonight! Did you all go to the movies without me?
Old 11-20-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Uh huh. Who leaked !

What's up Grace ?
Old 11-20-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Just got back from meeting/fellowship. My house is a mess, but I am okay making a meeting a day- on day 30 of 90 in 90 days.

I bought an e-cigarette today and they are da bomb!! I spent quite a pretty penny, but I think it is the equivalent of 12 packs, and I spent $40.

I have no doubt that these will last me through the new year, and look forward to not smelling like smoke and making it to the gym before NYSC charges my account for another (unused) month!!

Hope all of you are well, welcome back (((Fishy)))
Old 11-20-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Br00ksie

How are you going with the AA meetings ? Have you shared your life like a 1000 times by now I've almost memorized some of the shares by members, hehe...seriously though I do hope you are getting incremental benefits from the meetings. have you started the Steps yet ?

Btw, tell me how the e-cigarette things go ? Are they better than the nicotine gum or patches ?

Keep it up Br00ksie !!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Renarde, very proud of you for maintaining boundaries. Why does a simple no, always seem like the last choice? Its so much easier and simpler your way! Yay you!

My husband just received his invitation to his employer's holiday party - it's at our old favorite winery down the road. Such a lovely place. He immediately crumpled up the invitation and threw it in the trash. I asked him why - he said because it was winery serving wine...ok duh on me but I wasn't sure.

I am so proud of him. He is changing his habits, even though I never asked him too. I've just been focusing on my own sobriety....good things come when you improve yourself. Sometimes the world around adjusts in equally positive ways.

Kane, I wish you well in your move. You've worked hard at sobriety and deserve to be with your family. Really happy for you.

12 hours of meetings today.....Miso tired!! I really get drained being with people all day. I really need my Introvert time!! One more trigger to drink wine.....too much people interactions. I feel over-stimulated...like I've had 14 cups of coffee.

Going to read posts here now and decompress...

Love to you all ~
Silly Lilly
Old 11-20-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Anyone unnerved by this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
duck.jpg (10.7 KB, 71 views)
Old 11-20-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

How about this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
duck2.jpg (7.7 KB, 72 views)
Old 11-20-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Nuway2fly View Post
Kane, good luck on moving back in. I think it's great, no, essential, that you and you partner are going for counseling. I've seen it work miracles. If you love each other and want it to work, it will.

Fish, very happy to hear you're sobering up. And the best thing about this last episode? You never have to feel this bad ever again. Hang in there, and hang with us.

Renarde, way to go on setting the boundaries.

Lillian, I hope your conference is bearable. I'm really pumped that you put yourself up for that raise! I love moxie. I'm sure you deserve the raise--hope it comes about.

Diesel, good to have you posting again.

Dee, your story amazes me almost as much as you do. Thank you for sharing your gifts with us.

I know I'm skipping lots of posts, but I already closed the window with the previous thread in it. If I didn't name you by name, I'm still keeping up with you, too. XO, friends.
Ditto to all of this!!

Best wishes, Kaneda!!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Now that I've finished Pete Townshend's autobiography detailing his alcoholism, I've moved on to Artie Lange's story about his heroin addiction/alcoholism. Lange was on a radio show here in the US, The Howard Stern Show, and tried to commit suicide in the depths of addiction.

I read this opener to his book and wanted to share:

All I can say is that you only realize how big your mountain is once you're laying motionless, helpless, and hopeless in the valley below. No one goes there on purpose, if you get what I'm saying, because the only way to find your personal low is to slip and roll down that mountain of yours, straight through to the bottom, no holds barred. Only when you're in that ditch, lying there in the muddy runoff you've made of your life, gazing up at the peak you fell down from, do you truly know how small you are and understand how tall you used to be. Down there at the bottom you can finally see the invisible zigzag path you followed, reliving every lump you took along the way. You feel the pain of each one again, and some others for the first time, as behind you the avalanche you've made of your life crashes toward you in slow motion, engulfing the people you care about; stifling you with the debris of your existence. The view from that gully is a front-row seat to the mess you've made, but it's not the kind of show you want to see up close and personal. If you're lucky and if you want to, if you've got the strength and good people willing to pick up what remains of you in your life, you can make it out alive and climb back into the world.
The guy can write! His description of hitting bottom was very real. He stabbed his stomach 9 times with a kitchen knife, thinking the blood loss would give him a high. Ugh.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post
Just got back from meeting/fellowship. My house is a mess, but I am okay making a meeting a day- on day 30 of 90 in 90 days.
That was a typo. I'm on day THREE of 90 meetings in 90 days!!!

Previously, I had, on average, made about 5 meetings a week.

I am on step ONE. Halfway through Bill's story.

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
Hey Br00ksie

How are you going with the AA meetings ? Have you shared your life like a 1000 times by now I've almost memorized some of the shares by members, hehe...seriously though I do hope you are getting incremental benefits from the meetings. have you started the Steps yet ?

Btw, tell me how the e-cigarette things go ? Are they better than the nicotine gum or patches ?

Keep it up Br00ksie !!
I just read 3 different publications on e-cigarettes (one by WHO and two by NIH) and I'm ok with using it as a means to quit. It feels like smoking and I feel the nicotine.

Positive reports were increased breathing/physical activity and some negative reports apparently (dry mouth, etc) were associated with side effects from quitting smoking. Other reported negative effects were short term (lasted 5 min).

There are however no long term data on the effects of e-cigs as of yet. Even still, they appear to be waaaay better than smoking tobacco!! I'm sold.

I'm fortunate to be in a city with such a plethora of meeting options. I have my regular meetings on Monday, Thursday, Friday, and Sunday and try to go to different meetings the other 3 days.

I had tea with two guys from this meeting I went to for the first time tonight and both recognized me from other meetings!

I wish I could get boy numbers. I'm used to being "one of the boys" but my "boys" were potheads so I left them, but I miss it sometimes.

I also don't want to unnecessarily complicate things. Boys in general tend to catch feelings, even if they've been unequivocally placed in the friend zone.