View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  
Bilr44

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Well, one can never tell what will happen in an alcoholic family. My mom was slurring her words this morning (never sure if that means she is still drunk from the night before or if she actually poured herself a glass this morning at 8 am ~ I still can't wrap my head around that) But hey, she was in an argument with my father, so it is perfectly acceptable to drink at him, right, at 8 am Friday morning?? So, honestly Billr, I will be tiptoeing into the Christmas festivities, but I really don't plan on drinking with them. There is just too much baggage now . . . .
I'm sure you will do fine. It is stressful leading up to events like this but once you are there you will do the right thing. It would be odd for me to actually drink in front of my parents as I've never really done. They would be really surprised if I told them I quit drinking but they never would have suspected. I guess we have opposite types of pressure going on here.

My parents used to have a full bar in the basement that they used for the occasional party. Some of the alcohol was really old. They got rid of it years ago when my late alcoholic brother in law used to always head straight for the basement with my sister to "watch tv". He was such a heavy drinker that after the bar was gone he was rarely ever there or would come for a couple of hours and leave.