Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 4

Old 10-30-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purplelily View Post
Hi all...day 3 today. Not as full of despair as I was on Monday. Was dreading going home from work, as I hadn't talked to my hubby since the night before when I basically went to bed (or passed out - not sure which. since I blacked out.) leaving him and my 12yo son cooking dinner. He was actually supportive and encouraging, although I know they can't take much more. My job offers 5 free counseling sessions with a qualified provider, and I am going to take advantage of that this time. Have been having some stomach and joint pain, so will need to get my health checked, but I want to wait a few more sober days. Thanks for being here. I feel like this may be my last chance.
Way to go PurpleLily. Keep up the good work on the road to Sobriety! It's great that you have a husband that is supportive. Your family is going to be so proud of you making this change. It is hard to say, but in reality we do have to look at it like its our last chance. That could very well be true. Take it one moment, one step at a time. Remember, nobody is taking your hand and forcing you to pick up. I'm proud of your recognition. Keep it up!
Old 10-30-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Driver, I'm not a lady but DH stands for Divorced Husband, I think. Speaking of not being a lady, I can't stand Nancy Grace.

I know what you mean about false promises. All I ever tell my wife is that I didn't drink today, this week, or this month. I can't even promise myself the future, but I'm going to try my hardest to keep on keepin' on.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

DH=Dear Husband in blog speak
Old 10-30-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

DH, Oops.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bilr44 View Post
Driver, I'm not a lady but DH stands for Divorced Husband, I think. Speaking of not being a lady, I can't stand Nancy Grace.

I know what you mean about false promises. All I ever tell my wife is that I didn't drink today, this week, or this month. I can't even promise myself the future, but I'm going to try my hardest to keep on keepin' on.
Driver and Bilr, I haven't chose to tell my children for those exact reasons. I don't want them to feel upset or let down if I relapse and as much as I want to believe I am done with alcohol, I honestly cannot guarantee that. I can handle disappointing anyone else, sadly, even my DH( DH = dear beloved husband to me ) but I just don't want my children to be disappointed in me. I rarely got drunk around them anyway, so I don't think me quitting has made a big impact. However, I know if I started to go down the slippery slope of losing more and more control, they would have embarrassing scenes to worry about or concerns about my health, like I have with my mother, and I cannot stand the idea of doing that to them.

I know a lot of people say that telling my children that I quit drinking alcohol would make me more accountable, but I am just not there yet . . . .
Old 10-30-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I just poured an almost full 1.75 L bottle of bourbon down the drain. Tomorrow morning is trash pickup and I waited until just now to empty my last hidden bottle. I was a little sad watching it swirl down the drain, but it dawned on me that it wasn't so much social drinking that I missed, but rather drinking in solitude for hours at a time. And that's why I can't drink. I don't want a single drink. I want multiple drinks.

I will feel a sense of peace tomorrow when that last empty is carted away.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

DD,

Everyone's sobriety is different and there are probably no cookie cutter answers for each of us. AA is probably great for a lot of people but doesn't work very well for others. Telling everyone I am recovering just does not work for me. If I am with friends in the future I might just tell them I'm not drinking for health reasons. I guess women could use the line, "I'm trying to watch my girly figure" : )

I, like you don't plan on drinking again, but we are all human.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
I just poured an almost full 1.75 L bottle of bourbon down the drain. Tomorrow morning is trash pickup and I waited until just now to empty my last hidden bottle. I was a little sad watching it swirl down the drain, but it dawned on me that it wasn't so much social drinking that I missed, but rather drinking in solitude for hours at a time. And that's why I can't drink. I don't want a single drink. I want multiple drinks.

I will feel a sense of peace tomorrow when that last empty is carted away.
WELL DONE !!!
Old 10-30-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ColelJ I drank every day too - but it is possible to start new

welcome too to Elysium and ND

D
Old 10-30-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

WhoDey, you sound exactly like me except switch bourbon with vodka. You will feel much better about yourself in time as that is no way to live. The days of me being able to be a moderate drinking are long past so my only choice is to quit completely.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I'm devoting five hours a day to AA stuff between hanging between meetings and travel time but it's occurred to me that I devoted more time than that to drinking so it's a fair trade!
Old 10-30-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RiverFriend View Post
Hi Driver, I'm certainly around and appreciate your kind thought. I blew it on Friday and again on Sunday and again on Monday too (finished off what was left in the house - at least there's no more eh). Anyway, Day 2 here just haven't felt like posting the redundant same ol' groundhog day struggles I put myself through. Doing a lot of reading and still not beating up on myself, just a bit more quiet and reflecting.
Hang in there River. Yup, no use beating yerself up. Post when you want bud. You know we're always here for ya.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 39!
Old 10-30-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

SFMS, I was starting to feel really guilty about the time I have spent on SR the last month, but then I thought it is cheaper and less complicated than rehab and certainly, cheaper and healthier than spending the same amount of time drinking!
Old 10-30-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
All I can, Driver, is that you are the BEST! Simply the BEST!!
Second that emotion. From the Supremes, I think.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
SFMS, I was starting to feel really guilty about the time I have spent on SR the last month, but then I thought it is cheaper and less complicated than rehab and certainly, cheaper and healthier than spending the same amount of time drinking!
Me too!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

So tired, but don't want to go to sleep. These bad dreams are kicking my butt.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I had a slip a few days ago but I do not regret it. I was experiencing severe anxiety and had even had a couple panic attacks. I was freaked out. Hadn't happened before in my life. Visited my regular doc, they did a blood panel and I took an anxiety test, and didn't qualify for anxiety disorder. They checked my thyroid, gave me a script for a sleeping pill(which didn't even help) and I was so overcome with anxiety and helplessness that I drank 2 shots of whiskey hoping something would help quell it. It helped for a little bit but once the booze wore off the anxiety was back. I was then convinced that I certainly have some sort of hormone imbalance or neurotransmittors are off or something. My mom took me to her naturopath, and did some energy work, biofeedback and came home with a couple bottles of homeopathic drops and they are working... So well! I was off balance in a lot of different areas, and the energy work is correcting it. Now I'm trying to teach myself to go to sleep without any sleep aid. I am still counting myself as sober. After I had those two drinks I immediately felt no desire to do it again, and knew it wouldn't fix anything long term and if I wanted to manage my anxiety, I have to deal with it not drink. just reassured me that my decision to quit was a good one. exercising more, relationship is improving so much with my husband and kids, and feeling so much more optimistic about my future. if it weren't for the slip, I'd be at 45 days sober. I'm still counting!
Old 10-30-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Also I gave up caffeine to help with the anxiety. No more uppers or downers in my body!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Just checking in. I had the most amazing day. I went to a concert by myself and met new people (even the band's singer). I did it all completely sober, and I'm so glad that I'll get to remember this experience instead of only the first half until blackout time. It turns out that you can actually have fun without alcohol. Who knew?