Class of October 2013 - Part 4

Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes snipe
Old 10-30-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

SoberMarathon,

At Phillies games we often contemplated (if you can do that smashed) staying outside and tailgating rather than go into the game. We routinely missed the first couple of innings. You see a lot of binge drinking going on at sporting events, at least in Philly. Makes you wonder how many more people are out there needing help? I'm really glad that I finally decided it was time.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So we are now called "Tobers"? I like that! Just checking in.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Checking in. Day four! Getting ready for my meeting and may do two today, depending. Biggest problem is boredom in the afternoons after my meeting. I just pace and pace. Can't make myself stop and do anything else, too wound up to read or come on here. Gotta work on that.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Time for the morning check in. Day 8 and feeling great! I had some anxious moments last evening when fixing dinner when intense thoughts of drinking crossed my mind. A was a little stressed and drinking, of course, was always my go-to stress relieving technique. Rode it out, however, and had a couple glasses of cranberry juice. If they find something wrong with cranberry juice, I'm in trouble.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

I wish you the best Snipe and welcome NY
Old 10-30-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey everyone - Day 12 here for Goose. Managed to Crawl out of bed this morning and get in a run. PT good for you, good for me. We need structure in our lives and I really think exercise is a good place to start. Can I ever relate to the drinking at Sports events. I would have fit right in. For me though, its the O's and the Steelers. Now there's a good combo, LOL. Can you imagine, for years I hung out tailgating with my Steeler drinking buds prior to the game only to go into a bar to watch the game. That's right, the tailgating was in the bar parking lot. I can't count the times I woke up the next day not remembering a dang thing what happened in the game. Welcome NY and Snipe. I'm thinking it's all good if I can look back and laugh at myself in regards to some of the stupid things I would do drinking. One things for sure, its all about "Forgiveness" and letting go. Whether forgiving yourself or someone that may have hurt us along the way. Forgiveness will lift the weight off our shoulders. Have a blessed and Sober day everyone.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

October family

Originally Posted by countingdays View Post
Hey all. I was in middle of a profound post (or so I thought at the time), but then my battery went dead and 10 hours later I can't remember what it was about. Guess my memory is pretty bad even sober :/. Well, day 16 almost over, watching tv with my husband. I have a wine glass filled with cranberry juice on the table. I do like my fancy glasses. Set a goal to get back to gym tomorrow morning. Keep fighting the good fight everyone!
I hate when that happens! I think your memory will keep improving with your continued sobriety.
I too drink my water from a wine glass. Makes me feel like I can get my water down better. Usually add crushed ice and a lime or orange wedge. Seems to perk me up and it's very refreshing!

Old 10-30-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

Talking

Congratulations DD
Old 10-30-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Smile 27 October 2013

Hi Ya'll!
I am celebrating being a "Tober". I had 94 days in when I relapsed on 26 Oct.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome NYcowboyfan and Snipe.
White Pawn- I hope you have a good trip! See you when you get back!
Pamel- I like the name Tobers also! I'm super proud to be a Tober.
SoberForMySon - Congrats on day 4! You are really starting to rack up the days, doesn't it feel great?
WhoDey - Congrats on day 8, I am so glad that you got through your urges while fixing dinner. Last night I was fixing dinner and commented to my hubby how weird it was for me to be cooking dinner sober! I enjoyed it and asked him to come in and keep me company as I cooked, normally he stays out of my way but I enjoyed spending a little extra time with him.
I would also be in all kinds of trouble if I couldn't drink my cranberry juice!
Goose1- Congratson day 12! Its fantastic that you ran this morning. I haven't pushed exercise yet, but some basic yoga is in my plans for today.
Elysium - I to add lemon or lime to my water. I have four kids so for years we've been drinking out of plastic cups because our glasses got broke to easily, but we finally got our glasses back out over the weekend and everyone has been enjoying drinking out of real glasses! Lol, sometimes its the simple things that make us feel good.

It is day 11 here and I feel fantastic! I cooked a big breakfast for my school aged kids (the little one is still sleeping), I haven't done that this school year, its either been cereal or breakfast at school. Yuck, I know. But I was too hung over to do more than cereal! I am so glad I was not hungover this morning and could do that with them and spend sometime with them before their busy day began.
I've got dishes and laundry going. I think its going to be a good productive day!

I hope you all have a wonderful sober day!!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pamel View Post
Sober "Tobers", that's the name Pamel. Kind of catchy, Eh?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Hi Ya'll!
I am celebrating being a "Tober". I had 94 days in when I relapsed on 26 Oct.
I'm glad you are jumping right back into sobriety!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Congrats to all with 30 days and welcome to the newcomers! All is well here in Costa Rica....Avoiding the beach bars, and the happy hours! Day 16 today....feeling great and yesterday my husband told me that I was my "old self"....the woman he married....What a great feeling!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pamel View Post
Guess we will always be Tobers (although some had us as Tobies at the beginning of the month). I use them both.

But in November I think I'm gonna refer to myself as a Nober...just sayin 'No" to drinking because (in the immortal words of LittleSparrow), "I suck at it"!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Driver1 View Post
But in November I think I'm gonna refer to myself as a Nober...just sayin 'No" to drinking because (in the immortal words of LittleSparrow), "I suck at it"!
I love that Driver! I can't wait to be a Nober....
Old 10-30-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good for you snipe! We'll be here to continue cheering for you when you get back
Old 10-30-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
I agree with Driver on this one...it sucks that sobriety is going to be a life-long mission from now until the end. Call it a battle, a struggle, a disease, whatever you want...it's always going to be there in some way, shape, or form.

Nonetheless - you're fighting a good battle, a battle worth fighting for, one with purpose, and one that has a positive goal in mind.

When I first and finally admitted to myself I was a serious drunk and needed to do something about it - check my first posts last December when I joined SR - I had a huge sense of relief. For me it wasn't that a battle was beginning, it was that one was ending. One that had gone on far too long. Trying to control my drinking, to moderate, to fit-in, to be like everyone else: that battle was finally over. I had this massive sense of relief knowing that I didn't have to do that anymore, that I wouldn't have to feel embarrassed, ashamed, or wondering what the hell I did last night anymore. Ending that 'battle' was the greatest decision I could of made and, although this year has been a different kind of 'battle' as I learn how to make sobriety be a permanent aspect of my life, I know I'm going to win this one. The alternative was a losing battle I never had a chance at winning.

Hang tough Driver and vent as you please!
Thanks SM.

Sorry so late getting back to you on this one (cause it really helped re-frame my thinking).

You are so right. I'd say the last 5 years or so of my drinking I was just going through motions. I didn't enjoy it anymore; it just had become part of my DNA, hardwired into me at that point. I hated it, I hated myself. Life sucked. It was a daily battle with a demon that I lost everyday; pathetic way of living.

It may be true that I now have a new battle (to stay sober). Got it.

It may be true that this battle could last a lifetime (although I'm told it gets easier). Got it.

But your insights help me reach a more palatable conclusion regarding the new battle...

...I've essentailly traded one battle for another. That being the case, I'll take new one hands down.

So maybe I have to fight off my demon on a somewhat recurring basis. I'll take that over hangovers, poor health, lost memories, lost opportunties, crappy sleep, regret, shame, remorse, guilt (among others).

From this perspective, the life-long struggle that comes with sobriety doesn't seem like much of a battle at all.

(Funny how things in the mind's eye seem so monumetally impossible until you get the support/insights of others.)
Old 10-30-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Day 10 for me. So far, so good.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi all...day 3 today. Not as full of despair as I was on Monday. Was dreading going home from work, as I hadn't talked to my hubby since the night before when I basically went to bed (or passed out - not sure which. since I blacked out.) leaving him and my 12yo son cooking dinner. He was actually supportive and encouraging, although I know they can't take much more. My job offers 5 free counseling sessions with a qualified provider, and I am going to take advantage of that this time. Have been having some stomach and joint pain, so will need to get my health checked, but I want to wait a few more sober days. Thanks for being here. I feel like this may be my last chance.