Notices

Class of August 2013 Part 5

Old 10-07-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
Wife's work - on official furlough as she works for a govt. contractor.

My long awaited vacation to sleep sober to the sound of waves on the beach is cancelled for caution due to the furlough above.
I'm sorry to hear this, foolsgold, but am glad that you don't feel urges to drink. I do hope they reach a compromise soon.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Thank you Kadi. We are guessing a month at this point. We can deal with that fine. I just feel really grateful not to have to fight so hard for sobriety this time. SR and its people gets a lot of credit for that.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  
w2r

Day 15 for me.
Hope everyone is doing well today.
jdooner, you are right about sugar. Normally I stay away from it, but I have been into the sugary drinks and ice cream as an alcohol substitute.

I think I'm at the point where I can try to cut back on this crutch now.

I'm so fortunate that others things in my life have been just fine. Even my AW is pretty easy to get along with.

Like foolsgold (aka foothold) I'm really grateful to SR and the people here for support.

Elsewhere hope you are full of energy this morning in beautiful Oregon!!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Hi class :-) Sorry I have been absent lately! I think about you guys a lot even when I'm not logged in here.

Checking in on day 50. Things have been going pretty well and I haven't really been having many urges. I think keeping so busy has helped quite a bit.

Congrats to all on your sobriety! It looks like a few of you may have hit some bumps in the road, but that's perfectly normal. Even though I'm not on here as frequently, I am still supportive of everyone and so proud to be a part of this team.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Good morning.

Hi there merchantsun, good to hear from you, great stuff.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Well, I definately don't recommend getting a dui. What a pain in the ass! I feel like a criminal... But I made the bed I have to sleep in. I have a cold to boot. Time for bed!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Blackbird, I'm sorry that happened. I hope you feel better soon and get on with finding your way.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Even less recommended is three DUI's, by the way....
Old 10-08-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

My guest bedroom is still a mess, but did run some errands. Just glad to be sober.

I have a new perspective on the recent bout of cravings: I'm just going to expect to crave for the time being, kind of like I did the first couple of weeks. It seems more manageable that way instead of being all like "oh no, where did that come from and why now?" I think this new perspective comes from fg saying "don't overthink." Thanks, foothold

Good night, all.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Johnny, I found another Groupon for mattresses! This one is 52% off a Serta pillow-top mattress. You pay $549.99 and can get a mattress valued at $1147...I can send you the link via PM or you could find it with Google.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Hi there!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Hi, Pals, I actually feeling ok today. I got up, did some errands, went to yoga, out to lunch and it occurred to me that I wasn't feeling horrible, as usual. In fact, I felt kinda good. This afternoon I took a long hike and now I'm making dinner. There is a smell of woods smoke in the air and this is day 40. It's been a pretty long haul. But I might be coming out the other side. Tomorrow will maybe tell another tale but I'm sure glad I had today.

Johnny, check in with us! Hope you're ok
Old 10-09-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you're feeling better, Elseware. I imagine that the woodsmoke smell is peaceful
Old 10-09-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

I understand about the cravings! I had an odd one today myself. I decided to make an Italian dinner and I was struck by really wanting a glass of red wine.. That came out of nowhere! I didn't have one but I felt kind of mournful about it. Very strange. Maybe cravings never really go away. Maybe you get better at surfing them
Old 10-09-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

The cravings do go away. At 20 months I still get thoughts under extreme unusual stress, like when I just sold and bought a house etc but ordinary stress like work or things breaking or a meal out or whatever no longer trigger me.
It gets better..... if it didn't I would not have been able to stay sober. It gets better!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

HI GUYS,

Sorry Blackbird but you're still part of this group if I can help it.

Thanks so much for the mattress groupons, I never thought of that and have not checked in.

I beat the mattress people and hammered Sleepy's today for a luxurious foam mattress that I wanted. I've stopped in a few times to the same Sleepy's. I also visited a bunch of stores and learned the game. I met jerks and nice people. All had serious ulterior motives though. I already got them to come down a good amount to match a competitors price, then today I stopped in to Sleepy's on a whim to try this cheaper mattress I was thinking of. The district manager was in the store. He was a young guy and immediately offered to beat the previous deal I made, of $200 off, with a free high end cover.

He seemed determined to keep me from going back to CT Mattress store to look at a couple of other things. He had matched the price of CT Mattress by coming down $200, threw in the cover, then... dropped the sales tax to $0. When I went on Apple maps to get the map to CT Mattress he dropped the price by another hundred bucks. Then I offered to pick it up because the previous deal included delivery. He took off another hundred. So I will borrow my brother's SUV and pick it up at the warehouse 10 miles from me and be sleeping on it soon, I hope with no off-gas issues!!

Whatever the 'sale' price is, you should get it for 40% less. I looked at junk for $500, and spent only a little more than that. This is a nice Icomfort firm foam mattress by Serta.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

So Leaving for Florida in 10 days!! I got kind of back on track and finally pulled the trigger on the trip my friend offered. We will do 3 nights in a sweet hotel in Disney, and do a low key disney trip. Then on to Sanibel Island for 4 nights, right on the beach. The nice girl I hang out with is picking up airfare, Disney hotel, park passes, meal plan, and the Hotel at Sannibel, plus she got $200 meal credit at the Hotel. I'm just picking up the rental car for 5 days, cheap enough for 8 days outta here. I will get the full insurance on the car because I want no hassles.

I started to take Klonapin again. I quit abruptly, 3 Klonapin a day in April, and it is highly addictive. I think thats why I have just felt horrible, it can go on forever without a taper. So I started 1 a day and things are waaayyy different. We'll see.

So yes, I have NOT been perfect, but I'm glad that at least WR2 hardly has any time on me .
Old 10-09-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Hi Johnny!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Hi Elseware!!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  
w2r

I'm sleeping so well these days alcohol free, its fun to head to bed!

Johnny, guess you will be sleeping well soon on your new Serta! I think today is day 16.
Its my new record. Sounds like you are doing much better, nice to hear.

Elsewhere, you also sound like things are falling into place. The hike sounds really good.
Those of us over 50... exercise is very important in stimulating repair in our bodies. Day 50 for you....*****!

Blackbird, hows the cold today? I hate colds. there is a nasty one going around in my town too.