Notices

Class of September 2013

Old 08-31-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of September 2013

Welcome everyone!

this is the support thread for everyone who wants to quit drugs or alcohol this month of September 2013

come and join us

Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible. -Saint Francis of Assisi

Old 08-31-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ooh, I get to be the first one! I'm in.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Nuway. Good to see you

D
Old 08-31-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wanted to pop in and welcome everyone beginning this journey.....it's so worth it
Old 08-31-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Greetings, newcomers, I am in the class of September 2010. In four days I will be sober three years. Sober Recovery has played a vital role in my achieving that mark. I hope you’ll stick around and make it work for you.

How did it work for me? I saw the folks who had months and months of sobriety, I read how they got clean and sober, and I applied those techniques to my own recovery. I had to follow what worked for them because doing it my way wasn’t working. So, as someone who has finally gotten clean and sober after 35 years of drinking and drugging, I want to tell you what I think is the most important component of a successful recovery—faith.

To have faith is to be sure of the things we hope for, to be certain of the things we cannot see.

That’s a scriptural verse, Hebrews 11:1-2, but I am not quoting it for the spiritual aspect. This statement has a powerful recovery message. Sobriety is something we hope for. We hope for a solution, we hope to be freed from the chains of addiction and alcoholism. Yet it must seem almost impossible when we first quit. We want to be sober at the same time that we can’t even see ourselves sober. We are so uncertain about that which we hope for. The answer is faith.

The proof is here on SR. There are so many folks who are sober, who have led the way through the uncertainty you now face. It has been done by others. It has been done by me.

Of this, be certain: If you strive daily to remain sober and to work on your recovery, if you get up when you fall—every time you fall, no matter how many times you fail, you can succeed.

Faith

If 20 former drunks reply to a post about getting sober, with 20 different ways to do it, it can be confusing. But you only have to come away with one thing—that 20 people have faith in your ability to get sober. How to get sober? That’s for you to decide. But for you to believe you can get sober—that’s not a technique, that’s a mindset that comes from faith in yourself, faith in the process, faith in the promise of recovery.

Good luck on your journey!

--carl
Old 08-31-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there. Jumping into September. Returning customer here. It has not been a horrible time, but I was drinking again, and it was escalating, as it always does. It gets control of me rather than me being in control. Tired of the constant inner dialogue and regret.

My story in in the "I'm Back" thread.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Rochele. I read your story. I could have written it myself. That's how familiar it sounds to me. Other than the diabetes and the husband, it all applies to me, too. Nice to meet you, and let's do this thing together!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm in - I only started on the 27th so I didn't feel ready to join the August thread.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome renarde

D
Old 08-31-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm back too!

Rochele, I have a similar situation in that I had started drinking again (after five whole months of sobriety!) and even though I kept telling myself it wasn't that bad, it was escalating, and I was never in control.

Anyways, I'm back on day one and I'd like to join the class of September.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back eveval

D
Old 08-31-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm in! A year ago I was very active in the September class...but I didn't last.

It's a new year, a new beginning, and I'm here to commit to a more fulfilling life.

I look forward to getting to know you all and share in this sober journey!

Love
Old 08-31-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back to you too Love

D
Old 08-31-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Love38 View Post
It's a new year, a new beginning, and I'm here to commit to a more fulfilling life.
There's something special about fall. I find it more energizing and exciting than any other time of year.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
There's something special about fall. I find it more energizing and exciting than any other time of year.
I couldn't agree more. Best of luck Class of September 2013 from a Class of August 2013 guy. Watch out for Days 15-19, and be sure to have someone to call, and a plan to combat cravings, because I got hit with some gnarly ones on those days.

Keep in mind that to get 30 days means that there will most likely be at least 1 day where you are debating/arguing with yourself to drink or not to drink. I had a day like that where it took calling my sponsor, hitting my knees in prayer, and just holding on. Sometimes it will be required that you hold on minute by minute.

If you prevail I guarentee you that you will be so glad the next day that you didn't drink. And those really hard days, when you overcome them, will give you so much faith in yourself and the recovery process. So they aren't to be feared, just be made aware of. If you feel you won't have the strength on your own to fight the cravings hit your knees and ask God for help, he won't deny you whatever it is that you need to stay sober.

Also for this alcoholic/heroin/ampetamine addict SR was not enough. Reading books about alcoholism was not enough. My willpower and strength was not enough. AA and God are the reason I got my 30 day chip tonight, so if you want to get through the first 30 days also I'd recommend using any help you can find along the way. Best of luck, and I promise you will feel great in a matter of weeks if you keep on keepin' on, sober. Thats been my experience anyways, God bless the Class of September 2013.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your 30 days YAC

D
Old 09-01-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am back from a recent relapse when I couldn't get the idea of ice cold vodka out of my head. And I was doing reasonably fine (dabbling in moderation) through almost all of august.
*sigh*
Just another fine example that a beer or two after work with colleagues will start a new snowball effect ending in a booze binge. Luckily I didn't get hurt or even leave my apartment this time.
September 1st 2013, day 1 third attempt!
Not going to be hungover at work tomorrow, no way! Stocked up on camomille tea and valerian root extract.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back and to the thread workoholic

D
Old 09-01-2013, 02:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I want to join too .only two days in
Old 09-01-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome everyone!
Just for today how about we don't let alcohol rent any time or space in our heads!
What plans do people have this weekend?
In the states it is a three day holiday for many.... has anyone planned ahead for how to stay sober through it?