Notices

Class of September 2013

Old 09-01-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hello, it's Elseware. Since by first Vcodin or alcohol free day was Aug. 31, I think I will continue with the Sept. class. Yesterday I did nothing but writhe around in bed and listen to music. I must be honest and tell you that I took a Valium to help with the gruesome muscle spasms. So I guess that counts as a pill. So here I am. But yesterday I was able to eat a little. That helped. I am calmer today but I see this isn't over. Not by a long-shot. Thank you all. Keep coming here. It has helped me so much.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Back Again

Hello all!! I am joining the September class because I wasn't 100% alcohol free in August. I am determined to be in September. I love this time of the year so I want to enjoy it completely sober so I can love it and life even more. So glad for this site and all the support.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi all and welcome.

First things first.... anyone who has any concerns about withdrawal pleeease see your doctor so the Dr can help you withdrawal safely. Please. Withdrawal can be dangerous. Don't play around with it.

Sobriety is not something that magically happens to you. It is something you DO. It is something you choose. Everyday.

You didn't get addicted overnight so you won't be a pro at this overnight, but you absolutely CAN do this if you bring everything you have, to the job.

It is 100% absolutely worth it. Or I wouldn't be here on this website after 19 months encouraging others now would I?

No. I might not possibly even be alive. But most certainly I wouldn't be thinking of others. I'd be thinking of how to get my next drink and all the reasons why I deserved to drink. I wouldn't be thinking of the great life I now have emerging before me. I wouldn't even dream it was possible.

If I just tried, or hoped, or waited for the right time, or waited for sobriety happen to me, I would not have lasted 24 hours.

Today is the day. Now is the time. You are the person to do it.

And we are all here for each other.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I agree with Eternal on the Withdrawals. They can be quite dangerous so please seek medical help if you start to feel seriously unwell. Medical experts can also help to ease the painful symptoms of withdrawals. My time in hospital wasn't pleasant but it would have been a hell of a lot worse without them looking after me.

Take care
Old 09-01-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Im in. On day one.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi guys

New to the forum. Have just come back from a short stay in hospital for heart problems caused by the booze!!! This is the 2nd time its happened. And now I have to quit. So count me in. Good luck and best wishes to all.

Lee
Old 09-01-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I'm just checking in now because I went outside and felt totally bombarded by the world for no reason! I seriously only got out of bed because I had to pay my rent. I was hyper sensitive to everyone around me. I get that way sometimes and when I was always hung over I thought that everyone was staring at me and undressing me with their eyes or hating me or criticizing me. I used to react to it like we were having an actual confrontation! When I was a child I thought I was reading people's thoughts and I grew to hate myself because of what everyone "thought" of me.
In my experience with sobriety this past couple months, I still feel this overwhelming anxiety out around other people. But it's a nagging part of my consciousness that I can at least identify as a paranoia and an insecurity, rather than actual happenings.... I realize of course how totally narcissistic this thinking is. My therapist said some years ago that I seem to have a particularly thin threshold, due to my boundaries being continuously disrespected throughout my upbringing.
But anyway when I was out there I really wanted to get into a bar. Then I ran home and closed the door and felt totally relieved to be alone. Completely alone.
Hopefully in a few days this will clear up again, it's not like this all the time anymore. Sobriety really helped me with my threshold or whatever.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
I'm just checking in now because I went outside and felt totally bombarded by the world for no reason! I seriously only got out of bed because I had to pay my rent. I was hyper sensitive to everyone around me. I get that way sometimes and when I was always hung over I thought that everyone was staring at me and undressing me with their eyes or hating me or criticizing me. I used to react to it like we were having an actual confrontation! When I was a child I thought I was reading people's thoughts and I grew to hate myself because of what everyone "thought" of me.
In my experience with sobriety this past couple months, I still feel this overwhelming anxiety out around other people. But it's a nagging part of my consciousness that I can at least identify as a paranoia and an insecurity, rather than actual happenings.... I realize of course how totally narcissistic this thinking is. My therapist said some years ago that I seem to have a particularly thin threshold, due to my boundaries being continuously disrespected throughout my upbringing.
But anyway when I was out there I really wanted to get into a bar. Then I ran home and closed the door and felt totally relieved to be alone. Completely alone.
Hopefully in a few days this will clear up again, it's not like this all the time anymore. Sobriety really helped me with my threshold or whatever.
Plenny I often feel like that too, especially when i'm outside. I'm definitely kinda agraphobic. I think as recovering drug users it will take a while for our self esteem to increase a bit. I also feel like people are looking at me in the street. I take SSRI's and CBT for mine, the CBT definitely seems to help stop those vicious circles of bad thoughts leading to bad feelings, but I know how you feel.

Really well done on avoiding the bar though! That must have been really tough when you were feeling that anxious
Old 09-01-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thank you so much! I was just beating myself up for staying on the computer and watching tv instead of getting work done but I should have been patting myself on the back for successfully beating a craving! I really am backwards sometimes. Thank you for reminding me!
Old 09-01-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Please can i join, day 1 almost thro... L x
Old 09-01-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

I somehow missed some posts last night - so welcome to everyone joining

Lets make September the month everything changes

D
Old 09-01-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi!
Plenny: I know what you mean, I can get very agitated when standing in line in a store.
Also I never go shopping when there is a sale because I can't stand it.

Grindilow: I ended up in ER about a month ago when I fell off the wagon.
Didn't get any IV fluids, just a scrape on my head, a sprained ankle and some verbal abuse by a random person when I stumbled drunkenly around ER trying to find a toilet.
Also doing CBT and SSRI's currently, but the alcohol is probably ruining atleast some of the therapeutic effect, all the more reason to quit.

Lorelei welcome, end of day one for me too, this is my third attempt.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, Day 6 here. I haven't gone 6 days in at least a year. I am looking forward to healing my body which I have been wearing down. I've seen a bunch of benefits in just a few days that I want to post later. Have great days everyone!
Old 09-01-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I quit August 26 so I'm on day 7. I don't even know what a class on here means but can I join?
Old 09-01-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PrincessJasmine View Post
I quit August 26 so I'm on day 7. I don't even know what a class on here means but can I join?
I say, yes you can! Welcome PrincessJasmine. Let's classmates make the journey together.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi, quit on August 26th as well,would love to join this class, together we can achieve amazing things, SR and the 24hour page has really helped me. Taking it one day at a time. Good luck everyone
Old 09-01-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PrincessJasmine View Post
A class is just a thread for all the people trying to quit in this month. Just so it's easier to keep track of each other and talk to others in early sobriety

Congrats on day 7!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grindilow View Post
A class is just a thread for all the people trying to quit in this month. Just so it's easier to keep track of each other and talk to others in early sobriety

Congrats on day 7!

Thanks grindilow! I love this idea. I'm definitely in!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I'd like to join. I'm on day 1 here.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I'm in, new to the site and couple days sober. I went 6 months without drinking earlier this year I need to get back to it! I'm tired of letting my drinking ruin my friendships and any chance at a successful relationship.