Class of September 2013

Old 09-01-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Rogue

D
Old 09-01-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Did well today. I felt grumpy and wanted to have wine, but at the same time I did not. I know it ruins my sleep, and I have not been sleeping very well, whether I drink or not. So, husband and I decided to go out to dinner, and we have a gift card for a place in town that does not serve alcohol. You *can* BYO. so, he mentioned we could pick up a bottle of wine to bring, and I said I did not think we needed to do that. But i still was mulling it over. Just needed the suggestion.

I rode it out and resisted. I think hubby asked on the way if we should stop and get some again, and I said, "Nah. I have not been sleeping well, and I think wine makes it worse."

So, we had a great dinner, and I feel sated, and not nearly so "hungry" for wine anymore. Makes me think about the HALT rule. Hungry, Angry, Lonely(?), and Thirsty. I was hungry and moody about cooking yet again, and thirsty. Had plenty of Italian mineral water with the meal, and a good, healthful and indulgent dinner. And I really am no longer craving a drink.

Ro-
Old 09-01-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I'm in, this would be Day 1 for me. I'm determined to beat it (alcohol) for good this time.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Seal123

D
Old 09-01-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

After my first sober day yesterday, I woke up in such an incredible mood this morning that lasted all day. It's easy to forget just how low alcohol makes me feel the next day (even if it's just a few drinks). When I am drinking regularly, I get so moody and distant around others and then I use wine to disconnect from myself.

When I was sober for the first half of this year, the first few months were incredibly difficult. But eventually I started to feel so comfortable as myself again, sleeping better, more capable of handling strong emotions, not feeling physically sick and exhausted all the time. It's amazing to me that I let myself start drinking again.

Day 2 for me is almost over. I had the thought yesterday that maybe this time around it wouldn't be so difficult. After five months of sobriety earlier this year I started to think "This is easy now. If it's easy now, then maybe I am not an alcoholic. Maybe I'll have a drink and test the waters." I was wrong then, and I was wrong yesterday. Today was a little trickier. I tried to practice a little "urge surfing" to make it through the toughest parts. It helped.

I'm so glad everyone is here. Knowing that we are all here and in this together is incredibly helpful.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hey guys,

I am finishing up Day 6. Incredibly my liver pain has really decreased. I am so relieved. I have been in pain for months. My fatigue that I blamed on another issue has also improved. I've lost 5 lbs. I've cooked for myself, completed chores, did a really great job with kiddo, got work done.

A couple of thoughts.

Basically I have come from a horrible, awful place in so many ways...everything felt wrong....and worked with my family to completely turn out lives around and recover from devastating circumstances beyond our control. And now we are at that great place and my drinking is getting worse and I don't want to throw my good things away.

I don't have that supportive of a partner. Partner isn't an alcoholic but is extremely codependent, yet invested in not admitting that I have a real problem. However he will monitor my drinking and give me looks when we go out, complain about what I spend, etc, etc. But when I tried to talk to him last year, he was a big jerk about it, for reasons that still mystify me. I mentioned it again today and he was very skeptical until I gave reason of spending $$ as reason I quit. Which honestly IS one reason. He told me recently that I box of wine I bought wouldn't last 7 days. In my head it was lasting 3 weeks a box. I paid attention and was shocked to find he was right - plus I was supplementing with tequila and additional bottles. That was a huge wakeup call for me. I was probably spending $100 a month on crappy wine when we don't have any $ to spare, which was a major complaint of partner's. Now he is supportive. lmao. Whatever works. I can't fix everything on day 6. Actually our marriage has been rocky but now is in a stable state and we are both feeling like we have reached a new level of closeness. So that is a positive thing for me.

I've lived in a dangerous place for some time now due to very upsetting circumstances out of our control. We've been the victims of petty and violent crime (and I already have PTSD) so this has been pure torture for me and definitely fueled my drinking. We are leaving this place shortly for a very safe and beautiful place and this has lifted a tremendous weight off of my shoulders.

I have tons of athletic goals that I've been pursuing for years, but I haven't made the accomplishments I want and I now believe that this is due to alcohol. I did some reading about how alcohol inhibits recovery and muscle gains and I am ready to really commit myself. I already focus on diet, exercise, etc but drink so much. It's time to practice what I preach.

My career is in an amazing place and I have worked for years for this, so I need to not throw that away.

My kiddo is the main motivator. I am a great parent, but alcohol is starting to prevent me from being really present in the moment, and that is causing me guilt. I would do ANYTHING for kiddo and so I'm doing this.

I have countless alcoholics, both dead and alive, in my family. Generations upon generations. I have really great things going for me finally after years of heartbreak, loss, misfortune, etc...have overcome very tough obstacles but this is preventing me from reaching my potential, which I feel is just within my grasp in so many ways. My drinking has reached a non-sustainable point and I REFUSE to lose everything I love and worked so hard for. I know it all goes down the drain.

Often late at night, in the morning, etc a voice in my head would say "You need to stop this" and I'd have additional thoughts about how I was in danger and how I could be so much more etc etc.

Plus with this liver pain and very mild physical withdrawal, I know my body needs healing.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Kys

Originally Posted by Pamel View Post
((((((((kys))))))))

Let's head (one day at a time) for a month??
Great idea Pamel

I'm having some strong cravings right now and doing everything I can to remind myself that this is always what happens at this time of day and that I've got a plan for it. Also it felt so good waking up today without a hangover or feeling flat.

And welcome everyone!!!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:29 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Kys

Cravings are so high! On my plan I've got a few songs I play, reminds me of everything that's 'out there', a whole wide world to enjoy, and that will never happen if I don't break this cycle.

Listened to a song I'm playing now when I was sober once and it gave me such positive thoughts. Listening to it now, reminded of that time and those thoughts.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Kys

Going to the gym! Sorry for all the posts. Will jump back on when I'm back.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:59 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Morning all, day 5 sober. Didn't sleep well last night but I think that can be expected, it's going to take a while to get back into a normal sleeping regime after a long 'binge'.

Off to do an online SMART meeting in an hour or so so I will let you all know how it goes.

Glad you're feeling better Renarde

Enjoy the gym Kys!
Old 09-02-2013, 01:02 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations G
Hope you feel better after gym Kys

D
Old 09-02-2013, 01:04 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Smile

Morning all,

Day 2 for me, slightly anxious, so going to keep busy and keep popping in on the threads. Keep strong all x
Old 09-02-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
Morning all,

Day 2 for me, slightly anxious, so going to keep busy and keep popping in on the threads. Keep strong all x

All the very best! Day 8 here and I can tell you it is already getting easier. That first couple or three days can be tough, but it is nothing if you think about it compared to how tough drinking at the end of your tether can be!
Old 09-02-2013, 01:27 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Thanks mentium, I spent the first few months of 2013 af, then slipped and crashed big style.. but nothing takes away those af days, and I KNOW eventually ill beat this thing xx congrats on day 8, thats brill x
Old 09-02-2013, 01:47 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi. This is my second day sober. Congrats to everyone in the class of September. I keep falling off, and trying to get back on and stay on. Tomorrow I'm going to a meeting. I'm so sick and tired of being worried about my job, my health, my reputation, my life, my finances.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:53 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi jackie, the main thing is we keep trying eh? Maybe it'll be sheer stubborness that sees us thro this x
Old 09-02-2013, 01:59 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Kys

Thanks guys and nice to hear people are hanging in there.

I'm about to wrap day 2
Old 09-02-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Well done kys! X
Old 09-02-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Kys

Thanks Lorelei, you too!
Old 09-02-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Jade