# 2 (permalink)  

Happy Podium Monday everyone!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes Eli, a happy podium day here too.

Best to all !!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Happy Podium Monday everyone!!!! Made it through another sober weekend. Small urge to drink this weekend, but I told that voice that was telling me "its no big deal", "no one will know", "who really cares if I drink" to go &$%# itself and reminded myself "It is a big deal", "I will know" and "I care if I drink". Hope everyone has a great week!!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy podium Monday all!

Congrats Hope on beating the urge. Good job!

Myself, I made it through a huge pool party we threw on Saturday. We have another one in two weeks. It has been tough lately. I do not consider drinking an option, but these summer parties are just so taxing to me without alcohol, in a way I can't really explain. Especially as a hostess, I struggle with the constant pressure to be sociable without the alcohol to help me along. I realize now that a large part of my sobriety success thus far has been in avoiding these big party situations as much as possible. I guess I need to learn to navigate them, I can't be a hermit my entire life, but it is really tough.

I see everyone else having a beer on a summer afternoon, such a simple thing for them. I know for me it's not that simple. I could die if I drink again, or I could put someone else at risk. But lately I feel really resentful of that fact, which is a bad place for my head to be and I know it. I'm looking forward to the time a few weeks from now when all the big summer parties are over, and I can hunker down and be a bit more of a hermit again.

In the meantime, have a good week everyone
Old 07-24-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hope, congrats on beating the urge!

SBTS - I know exactly what you mean. It can be so frustrating to see how some people can just have a few drinks and relax and it's not a big deal for them. The good weather somehow makes it a little more difficult. Also, I find I can get a bit bored at social events because I used alcohol to make everyone and myself more interesting (or so i thought!). Well done on not drinking and maybe do something fun and nice for yourself?

Hope you all have a good week!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh yeah.... one more day at the salt mine and its weekend time. Although I'll be picking and shucking corn and making more salsa. Will be great though when its snowing outside and I will still be able serve up a bit of summer. Worth every minute and I've a great tan for now :-)

Hope everyone had a decent week. Not too long till we have a YEAR of sobriety under our belts.

Best to all of you
Old 07-27-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday Everyone. I've been going to more AA meetings which is good, but I never realized how much work it is to "work the steps". Its forcing me to look at myself as a person and deal with my resentments. My biggest resentment right now is people can drink and I can't. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with that today. I feel like a two year old having a tantrum. Just venting, but I needed to get that out
Old 07-27-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hope, I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble with that concept lately I don't want to be resentful, but sometimes I can't help it either.
Eli, thank you for your thoughts.

I am trying to focus on the positive aspects of not drinking in order to get past my resentment. For example, when everyone else is drinking and I am having diet soda, I think about how many calories they're taking in that I am not. Or, at the end of the night when people are starting to behave a little stupidly, I think how I'm happy to still be sober, and how I won't be hung over the next morning.

For me it's been a lot about avoidance lately too. I don't want to turn into a hermit but, bottom line, I do a lot better with staying on an even keel when I simply stay away from drinking environments. Last night I went to the movies on my own while my husband went out drinking -- perfect opportunity to see The Conjuring, which he didn't want to go to anyway. In the past I would have joined him and his friends at the bars, but last night instead I came home, slept well, and woke up early ready to face the day while he was still sleeping it off.

He has remarked a couple times lately how much better our marriage is now. I don't think we could have gotten back to this point if I hadn't quit drinking. Plus, it doesn't hurt that I'm at a weight now that I haven't been at since probably late 2011. I've lost nearly 10 pounds now since sobering up.

I guess what I am trying to say is, I've figured out that it helps me a lot to focus on the positives I get out of not drinking, instead of feeling resentful that others can drink and I can't. If you're allergic to chocolate, it may suck that you can't have chocolate but your body and complexion will probably be better for it
Old 07-28-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you SBTS, you are so right and it helps to know that I'm not the only one that may feel that way. I was just having one of those days and was feeling sorry for myself. But really there is nothing for me to feel sorry about. I never want to go back to drinking, I know where that will lead me and it would not be pretty.

I guess I have been focusing on all of the negative consequences of drinking (in order not to drink) instead of focusing on the positives that have occurred since I got sober. Thank you for helping me see that

BTW how was The Conjuring? I love those types of movies.

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hope- I love them too it was good! Pretty scary.

Looking forward to the week ahead here...I've only got a three-day week, and then Wednesday is my last day at my current job. I'm taking August sort-of off (i won't be working, but I will be researching and writing an article I plan to submit to my school journal in the fall, which will take up a lot of my time). Then in September I will be going full time at school and working on finishing my degree.

Have a great week everyone
Old 07-29-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Happy podium Monday everyone.

My garden project was completed at the weekend and I am just watching my grass grow, seriously!!!

I lifted 45 paving slabs, put down soil and spread grass seed.

I decided the back garden needed some grass for my wee dog to play in and so far it looks great.

Nothing like keeping busy to make you tired and keep your thoughts from drinking.

I am glad to hear you are all doing so well.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Happy Podium Monday!!!!! Well congrats on getting your yard project done. That sounds like a lot of work
Old 07-29-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Happy Podium Monday all.

Sounds great Well. I just put up 300 or so ears of sweet corn. We have had a lot more rain this summer than we normally do and the vegi's are loving it. My corn crop was really down some 100 - 150 ears but I just give half of it away anyhow.

I do not care for the labor involved but as we say around here.... idle hands are the devil's workshop.

You guys/gals are the best, Keep at it.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbythesea View Post
Hope, I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble with that concept lately I don't want to be resentful, but sometimes I can't help it either.
Eli, thank you for your thoughts.

I am trying to focus on the positive aspects of not drinking in order to get past my resentment. For example, when everyone else is drinking and I am having diet soda, I think about how many calories they're taking in that I am not. Or, at the end of the night when people are starting to behave a little stupidly, I think how I'm happy to still be sober, and how I won't be hung over the next morning.

For me it's been a lot about avoidance lately too. I don't want to turn into a hermit but, bottom line, I do a lot better with staying on an even keel when I simply stay away from drinking environments. Last night I went to the movies on my own while my husband went out drinking -- perfect opportunity to see The Conjuring, which he didn't want to go to anyway. In the past I would have joined him and his friends at the bars, but last night instead I came home, slept well, and woke up early ready to face the day while he was still sleeping it off.

He has remarked a couple times lately how much better our marriage is now. I don't think we could have gotten back to this point if I hadn't quit drinking. Plus, it doesn't hurt that I'm at a weight now that I haven't been at since probably late 2011. I've lost nearly 10 pounds now since sobering up.

I guess what I am trying to say is, I've figured out that it helps me a lot to focus on the positives I get out of not drinking, instead of feeling resentful that others can drink and I can't. If you're allergic to chocolate, it may suck that you can't have chocolate but your body and complexion will probably be better for it
Great post
Old 07-30-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi guys :-) x
Old 07-30-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey Jim - how goes it?

D
Old 07-30-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

JIM!!!!! glad to see you post. How the heck have you been? missed you around here
Old 07-30-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hope22 View Post
JIM!!!!! glad to see you post. How the heck have you been? missed you around here
100% agreed!!
Old 07-31-2013, 12:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh bless you all, I'm fine thank you, glad to see you all doing so well! So, here goes again :-) its great to be back! X