Notices

Class of September 2012 Part 11

Old 07-31-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Jim, welcome back.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Jim I am so glad to see you are starting again.

Well, today was my last day at my job and guess what the boss gave me as a parting gift? A bottle of champagne. I know this could make me sound ungrateful, and I know he didn't mean to upset me, but I was a little thrown off by it. I've told him many times that I don't drink, and have never taken a drink in front of him (I started working for him right around the time I got sober.) He even told me when he gave it to me, "I know you're not a drinker but..." What the heck? I appreciate the thought behind it, but it was really tough carrying a bottle of champagne home, especially since wine used to be my DOC. I passed it off to my husband.

Hope everyone is doing well today, I'm looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow! No more work to go to for the next few weeks.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry about that STBS - you'd think he might have put a little more thought into it.

D
Old 07-31-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, that is how I felt... I'm certainly not one to be ungrateful normally or complain about a gift, but it was kind of strange. If I said I was allergic to chocolate, would he have given me chocolate? I guess it just goes to show how pervasive alcohol can be in this society. It was a nice idea to give me a gift and he didn't have to do that, but I would have rather received no gift than an alcoholic beverage. Oh well.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

SBTS it was a nice gesture, but some people just don't get it When people used to tell me I don't drink, I just assumed that meant that someone didn't drink all the time or only drank on special occasions. Never really gave it a second thought, maybe that was how your boss saw it too.

You handled it well! I do have faith that with more sober time things like this won't even phase us!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yeah I see your point hope. I've heard my stepmother say she "doesn't drink" before, when actually it's not at all unusual for her to have a glass of wine with dinner. You would think "I don't drink" would mean just that, but I guess to some people it doesn't.

No big deal.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Jim, so good to see you're back!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you Jim as well.

The fight continues. A daily battle of one sort or another that will always be a bit tougher for us. NOT as tough as if we fight it intoxicated or trying to recover from a hangover. We CAN do this.

Best to all....
Old 08-02-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi all, I still think of this group as home for me. Day 4 now and feel great, keeping busy so I dont slip again. I hope you are all well today!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Happy Friday All, Jim congrats on day 4. Busy weekend ahead which is good, but man its been a long week at work. Some of my coworkers are dealing with some personal losses that just break my heart. So tonight I'm grateful my sobriety, and all of you in this September group! Have a great weekend all!
Old 08-03-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.

Saturdays mornings are brilliant when you are not hungover.

Now that my back garden is done, I'm going to spend today, DOING NOTHING.

I am working tomorrow so I can afford myself the luxury of lazing around for a day.

Good luck and stay sober.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi all!

Survived our last large party of the season yesterday. Thank goodness all the hosting is over now and I can kick back and relax a bit more.

I've been running again in hopes of kick starting my weight loss back into gear, I'm maintaining what I had lost but seem to have hit a plateau. I decided that in September, when I get to a year sober, I am going to try to give up sugary drinks like sodas and sugary coffee that I kind of feel i have been relying on as substitutes for alcohol. I need to stop drinking my calories so much, it's not healthy.

Hope everyone has a great week!
Old 08-05-2013, 01:16 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Happy podium Monday :-) I kept busy all weekend and feel great today. 7 days with no alcohol or cigerettes. Damn it's great to be sober I forget how good it feels sometimes. Have a great day x
Old 08-05-2013, 03:43 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Happy podium Monday everyone.

I am back into the swing of things now and I am determined to stay sober for ever.

Soberbythesea, well done on staying strong during the party season.

I am the same with the sugary snacks rather than sugary drinks.
I don't know if it is just the sweet stuff we need or not, but I have cut down on the cakes biscuits and chocolate to try and lose some weight.

Well done Jim, 7 days is great, keep it going.

I have slipped up a few times in the past 11 months but I know now for certain that drinking is no longer for me.

I like myself better when I am sober.

Learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:49 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Youre right Well, I certainly like myself more when I'm sober, the drunk idiot isn't really me.

Have a great day my friend :-)
Old 08-05-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good Podium Monday from here too.

Hope everyone has a great week.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Happy Podium Monday all! So I guess it helps when a close friend knows your in sobriety. Someone put a shot by me as I was eating, I said no thank you. I was hoping I could just somehow get rid of it without being obvious. My friends walks up as I'm saying no thank you for the second time and the guy says "just have one shot it won't kill you", my friend said "oh yes it will" and took it away. He looked so puzzled, I thought it was kind of funny. So I'm very thankful to be at the podium today. Have a great week all!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hope, I love that. It's so important to have good support, sounds like you do

Had a good day today, started working on researching my article for the school journal, which will be keeping me busy most of this month. I'm trying to create strong daily routines for myself, since I am in between work and school for the month of August and don't have anywhere to go. I'm OK working from home for now, but I don't want to get listless (very bad frame of mind for maintaining sobriety). So when I'm not doing work, I make sure I'm spending my time on the things that help me stay physically and mentally healthy: running, writing in my journal, cooking dinners for my husband when he gets home, talking to friends and family, etc.

Jim, how are you doing? Congrats on 7 days

Will check in again soon!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi all, feeling great thanks SBTS I'm on day 9 and really good. I've changed my diet and stopped smoking now as well as the drink. I've taken to cycling again and have been cycling to work taken the longest most scenic route there and back. Now I've turned 40 it's time to get my fitness level up and loose weight. Hope you're all well today :-)
Old 08-07-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi all, SBTS that's great your keeping a list to keep you busy. When I was not working, it was very important for me to keep a routine and list of things to get done for the day. As soon as I was bored thoughts of drinking would creep in.

I read on another post that staying healthy mentally and physically is hard work. It sure can be sometimes It's great your running again, exercise helps me so much even though I don't necessarily like it some days But the benefits are well worth it, I haven't slept this good in years and it keeps me focused mentally.

Jimuk congrats on day 9, keep going my friend! Kudos for quitting drinking and smoking. Did we miss your birthday?

Eli / Ozark / Well hope your all doing good!