View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
soberbythesea

Happy podium Monday all!

Congrats Hope on beating the urge. Good job!

Myself, I made it through a huge pool party we threw on Saturday. We have another one in two weeks. It has been tough lately. I do not consider drinking an option, but these summer parties are just so taxing to me without alcohol, in a way I can't really explain. Especially as a hostess, I struggle with the constant pressure to be sociable without the alcohol to help me along. I realize now that a large part of my sobriety success thus far has been in avoiding these big party situations as much as possible. I guess I need to learn to navigate them, I can't be a hermit my entire life, but it is really tough.

I see everyone else having a beer on a summer afternoon, such a simple thing for them. I know for me it's not that simple. I could die if I drink again, or I could put someone else at risk. But lately I feel really resentful of that fact, which is a bad place for my head to be and I know it. I'm looking forward to the time a few weeks from now when all the big summer parties are over, and I can hunker down and be a bit more of a hermit again.

In the meantime, have a good week everyone