Notices

Class of February 2013 Part 8

Old 07-01-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Monday morning blahs this morning. I had a pretty good weekend; church, family, golf, futbol on tv. And at golf - while the guys went to the beer cart a few times and asked if I wanted a beer. I kept my distance and said "Nope, I'm good." The thing is I feel tired this morning and the thought of back to work kind of gets me down. Just got to put on God's armor and go for it. Just a thought, I could be getting up with great "Anxiety" from a binge. Sure happy I'm not there. I did have something good happen last Friday at work. I explained to my boss how stressed out I've been with work and I have a better schedule for my work to help. Basically, he said "go for it." Anything that makes things easier he is all in. Well, have a Sober and great day everyone.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
now's the time

I'm starting to notice that I am an addict through and through... not just with substances.

I don't just go on a weekend bicycle trip, I bike as far as I can. I don't just pick up yoga, I go every single day. I have the whole pot of coffee. I watch the entire TV series, back to back to back. I play the stupid video game until I can't stand it anymore. I read on SR for hours!

It's such a big part of who I am... I'm going to need to figure out how to turn this into a positive if I'm ever going to be happy...
Old 07-01-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
I'm starting to notice that I am an addict through and through... not just with substances.

I don't just go on a weekend bicycle trip, I bike as far as I can. I don't just pick up yoga, I go every single day. I have the whole pot of coffee. I watch the entire TV series, back to back to back. I play the stupid video game until I can't stand it anymore. I read on SR for hours!

It's such a big part of who I am... I'm going to need to figure out how to turn this into a positive if I'm ever going to be happy...
Hi fantail!

I think that I understand, and can empathize with what you are saying. Today I took a walk with my dog, as I have decided that it's time to get back into an exercise routine. As I was walking, I thought, "Okay, today I will do a moderate walk, but tomorrow I will do a bit more, then the next day I will go further..." Pretty soon I had myself competing in triathlons in my mind... This wound up stressing me out. So yeah, I can relate to what you're saying. I need to learn balance and moderation in everything that I do. It's a skill that doesn't come naturally for me.

On the upside, at least we're doing healthy things!?!?

Much love,

MV

Edited to include: Oh, and my moderate walk turned into a super walk....my poor dog is completely wiped out....he may never walk with me again....
Old 07-01-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post

Ditto. I am the same exact way
Old 07-01-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Balance. That magic word. Something we all need, and it's not easy to learn.

I may WANT to watch the whole series in one go....but I have a cut-off point now.
I needed to learn this desperately, because in my first month or so of sobriety, I just wouldn't go to bed...one more hour on SR...one more video....and the exhaustion was doing my head in.

It is a learning curve for sure, but I am getting better at it.
I am not used to reigning myself in...bet I'm not alone there
But it's empowering.

Love to everyone,

V xx
Old 07-01-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

I don't tend to put stock in horrorscopes, but i'm SUCH a Gemini! I go through phases where i'm obsessive about things, then I turn around and go into total slacker mode.

i'm either at the gym 5 days a week or not at all. my house is either crazy clean or a mess. typically, a mess. but thankfully, I always keep the kitchen crazy clean. I want to feed people, not kill them! :-)

I often find that my obsessive times are tied to anxious times. does anyone else experience that?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Yes, definitely wehav. Anxiety makes me much more obsessive.

So funny about your kitchen, re you want to feed people not kill them. LOL.
I am like you; either I am fully organised, or in a mess.
As I said, I am trying to learn balance....

Love Venus xx
Old 07-01-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Yes wehav, I relate as well. And venus, I too am either fully organized, or in a mess. The messy times leave me very anxious...but when I obsess over organization, I can become anxious as well. Balance~the elusive, magic word.

Much love,

MV
Old 07-01-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Oh Yeah - this impulsive behavior describes me to a "T" It's ironic that venus says the magic word is "balance." When people with an addictive personality or impulsive behavior are described as seeing everything as "all or nothing." A few of the traits that go along with this is depression and anxiety. Mmmmmmm....I can't help to think that when growing up, the problem may have never been addressed with me. Looking back it's really no ones fault. I just don't think things were known like they are today. So here we are finding out for ourselves and somewhat diagnosing ourselves. A week or so ago SE was talking about goals. I think we must commit to some short term and long term goals. It says that people with impulsive behavior disorder have trouble committing to long term goals. I can't count the number of times I would pick something up only to quit early because I would find it difficult. I can only say how important it must be to us to complete a task no matter how simple it may be (the nothing). So on the other hand when I would drink - the drink was certainly where the "all" falls. Got to look to some balance and some goals. I feel that the balance begins with not drinking. As good a place to start as any. What A Battle ! Keep it simple my friends, don't take on to much. Sometimes we just have to say "No".
Old 07-01-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Just thinking - perhaps a traumatic life experience or life's experiences in general help push certain personality types to impulsive behavior and it's traits.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

For sure Goose

V xx
Old 07-02-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell...Stay Sober my amigos and amigas.
Matchbox Twenty-Unwell [LYRICS] - YouTube
Old 07-02-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Love that song Goose!!!
Thank you for posting it..... ♥

Can it be our theme song???

Love V xx
Old 07-02-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wehav2day View Post
I don't tend to put stock in horrorscopes, but i'm SUCH a Gemini! I go through phases where i'm obsessive about things, then I turn around and go into total slacker mode.
Fellow Gemini here, I totally relate. My phases are just that; obsessive and fleeting. I get stuck on foods that ill eat everyday for three months and then never even think about it again. I've had countless hobbies I've become obsessed with and then dropped once I feel id learned enough.

I've turned this into a goal/ life lesson and I am always challenging myself to stick with things after the infatuation has passed.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
now's the time

Me too! I'm not a Gemini, but that's exactly how it goes for me. Total obsession and then poof, it's over. It always confuses friends of mine that I don't see all the time, because they'll associate me so strongly with whatever thing I was obsessed with the last time I saw them... then the next time we hang out I'm like, oh that? No, I don't like that anymore.

It worries me. Both the total excess of it, but also how fully I abandon things. I'm having so much trouble picturing my future as a healthy balanced person.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Count me into the Gemini's club. I can completely relate to the taking up of hobbies or interests with a passion and then dropping them. I have art supplies galore, a lifetime of scrap booking materials, sports equipment.... I recently mentioned to my family that I wanted to try paddle boarding. This time I had the good sense to tell my husband not to buy me a paddle board, as my birthday had been coming up, and I could see it coming. It would have been another guilty reminder of this craziness.... I still want to try paddle boarding though... I just don't want to commit to any equipment unless it becomes a lengthy passion. This is a positive step for me....balance and restraint.

I question the abandonment thing too fantail. Like melissa, I need to work at sticking with things once the novelty has faded.

Much love,

MV
Old 07-02-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Great song goose! Thanks for sharing that! And thanks for the insight on "goals". It's something that I need to think about. Good "food for thought" today.

Much love,

MV
Old 07-02-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a Gemini either but I'm like that too

D
Old 07-03-2013, 12:18 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Aquarian (= happy fruitloop...LOL)

V xx
Old 07-03-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Just a thought.....let's do a birthday list.
Would be lovely to know when everyone's birthdays are so we can celebrate together

I'm Feb 10.

Venus xx