Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 10

Old 04-09-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Marchers!

Depression may be lifting a bit. Thank heavens I know it will get better. Part of being sober is to live through "what is", whatever that may be and knowing that nothing lasts forever.

For those of you struggling to rack up the sober days, please take a caution from this old lady: the longer we keep drinking, the more likely that bad results will happen. Even though I definitely haven't been drinking continuously over the years, I'm having health issues that are most likely related to drinking and will be going in hospital for surgery in about a month. Amongst all the tests I had was a barium swallow and my esophageal transit time is way too slow. That can be due to a number of things but one obvious one is known to be alcohol. It can take a long time or short time for side effects of alcohol to show up but if we keep drinking, they inevitably will. So I feel that if I can help even one person stop drinking before it's too late, I would be really happy!

Lots of love and (((hugs)))
Sassy
Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Y'all could have told me to keep fingers in ears and lalalalaing while y'all "shared" TMI
Trachy I didn't realise that you and your turtle had ears, next time I will, particularly when we start on menopause.

Love your tale further down about your turtle, I had no idea they lived so long and I'm impressed that he answers to his name. And native to Georgia huh? So he is a true Southerner.

How do you work out how old he is?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ladies, I'm new to posting to this website but I couldn't help but giggle at the strings of conversations going on here. We've jumped from computer problems, to bad relationships, to breaking out skin, to wanting to get high again (ooclean: we hear you but we're kinda ADHD at the moment), to the sex and life of turtles. This is like a conversation I would have when I was toasted. . At one point, you mentioned shoes, I got all excited about that but then I realized that you were talking TO shoes and not about them.

I wish next to the "Thank You" thumbs up icon, there was a "Uh huh, I hear you." And an "Amen to that!" icon.

Okay, I'll go back to reading...and try to keep up as best I can.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Geek we talk about everything here, occasionally even sobriety. It tends to be a bit quiet around this time as east coast America goes to bed and Britain and Ireland are already asleep, so is JC who is in Malta. In a few hours the joint will be jumping as the Poms wake up.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Morning!!! This Pom is up

Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome Geek, you must have missed out the conversation about 'pumping and dumping' expressed breastmilk. Yep, we talk about everything here.... Jump right in!

Hi Daisy, how are you doing? Feel like you haven't been on in a while....? Good to see you.

YTF, glad you're doing well.

Sass, glad you are feeling a bit better. You mentioned you hope you can help just one person.... well, rest assured, you did. It was back on my day 5 or so, and you shared some words that truly made all the difference to me and helped me resist picking up a drink. You are a wise woman

Shoes, sorry to hear you were having a rough day. Feel free to vent all you want!

Trach, I love your saying about rose-coloured eyeballs. So true for me both figuratively and literally. My eyes used to be sort of pinkish most of the time - I thought it was because I'd had laser eye surgery, which made them dry, but miraculously they've cleared up since I stopped drinking! Also, I'm seeing a lot of things more clearly and not always in a good way - about my marriage, for example. Ah well, lots of things to work on and think about.

Have a good day lovely Marchers! xxx
Old 04-10-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Daisy!! Great to see you! Where have you been??

Geek033113 please don't tell me that is the number of geeks on SR? We already have too many on this thread, please be an expert on something other than computers, soup, turtles, shoes or menopause!!

Trachy you told us everything about your little chelonean including his dubious sex life, but not his name!

Shoes, it is surprising what you wake up to when you stop drinking, including the things you have avoided seeing. Avoidance is never a good thing. The relationship was not good, and drinking didn't make it good, just tolerable. You have the strength and the sobriety now to deal. Oocleanchickoo stay clean sweetie, it's not worth it.. Gucci bag? Really?? Wow

Sassie glad you are coming out of the other side, and you are helping a whole lot of us to stay clean. Good luck with the op

BP please, give a warning before breast milk related issues!! Poor trachy needs time to get to trachy juniors tank!
Duffster you are taking the right steps towards a new you.
Trachy, the limerick was not bad, but go on the limerick thread for some pointers.....

Poor Junior had a peculiar feeling
Hi heart was sad, he was reeling,
His rock turned him down
He rolled with a frown
And waddled all over the ceiling!!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Shoes sorry your having a rough time, I too generally kept my feelings and thoughts to myself and at times I am having a hard time holding my tongue now, not sure what to do about it to be honest

Marcher, honestly I don't think it's a lady thing, my face has broke out too, but then I have never had great skin but it does seem to be worse.

Welcome Geek glad you find out little band of misfits a right fit

OO, it's definitely tough trying to stay off of everything, I have a few times smoked a joint when I have been in crave mode, but I'm trying, that's all we can do keep trying.

Trach, loved the turtle story, my partner always wanted one but I refused as we already have a cr@p load of pets

--

Note I am trying to train my brain and mention individuals, if I missed you it's not because I don't love you it's just you weren't interesting enough (joke)

--

Oh and where is pananche ?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You are nuts trach(in a good way)!lol. Woke up this morning feeling stronger with resolve. Meeting a friend to make amends today. Seeing another friend tonight to help them arrange an art exhibition to make sure I don't get self absorbed.
Thinking of Snaggle today-stay positive and stay strong tonight Snaggs :-).
Old 04-10-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm just catching up with what I've missed - I hope those of us that are struggling a bit get through it. I'm grateful that you all post what you are feeling, because I have and still am feeling very similar feelings, and seeing I'm not alone helps so much. I'm not that good at sharing my own life so I'm very appreciative of those of you that do.
I've been fine btw just working 12.5 hr shifts and juggling that with kids dogs and horses, how did I fit drinking in before I wonder?!!

xxx
Old 04-10-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

My 12th day of recovery, I am so happy I am still sober, don't wanna go back in the misery.
In 5 hours time I will visit a new doctor and show him my 1 and a half month old blood tests (I had elevated bilirubin), probably he might peeper me for new blood tests by the end of the week, I feel really concerned about it, wish me luck.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JCMalta View Post
My 12th day of recovery, I am so happy I am still sober, don't wanna go back in the misery.
In 5 hours time I will visit a new doctor and show him my 1 and a half month old blood tests (I had elevated bilirubin), probably he might peeper me for new blood tests by the end of the week, I feel really concerned about it, wish me luck.
JC, congrats on your 12th day! I hope your blood tests are better! Stopping alcohol can do only good things for your liver. I have cirrhosis, verified by biopsy. It has regressed some. Although it will never get back to normal, if we stop before we hit end-stage liver disease, we can live relatively normal lives. Good luck to you and keep up the great work!

(((hugs)))
Sassy
Old 04-10-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Cheese grits. Just what I need. And coffee.

His name IS Junior. And a vet helped me work out his age from his size when he was found.

lalalalalalala
Old 04-10-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Pointers? POINTERS? You try writing a limerick with trachemys.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Junior is one lucky turtle.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

except for unrequited love he's really in for a good life. I would love to get a female and start a little colony.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Very busy these days but hanging in there.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good luck JC, Saskia your post is definitely strengthening my resolve to never drink again! I hope you are ok and glad the liver is in regression-how long were you drinking heavily for? My sister has been heavy drinking for about 15 years-her eyes are yellow I worry it's liver damage-she in denial big time though.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Trach, you could have little baby turtles wandering around! By the way, have you seen "A Turtle's Tale"? My daughter was given the DVD for Christmas, and it's not bad... a nice 'never give up' type of story with some environmental awareness themes thrown in.

Good to hear you're hanging in there, Black

I am currently lusting over a stainless steel water bottle I just saw it in Lakeland! It's called the Aqua Zinger, and it has a little compartment at the bottom for fruit, herbs or veg. You twist it to mash up / grate the fruit etc. which then infuses the water in the remainder of the bottle. I want one! I can just imagine breezing through summer days, sipping cucumber, lemon and mint flavoured 'spa' water.... Unfortunately it costs £25, so really I need to wait and buy it as a treat. Maybe if I quit caffeine for a week.... Does anyone have an Aqua Zinger? I think it's been around in the States for a while, but it's new in the UK.

Reminds me: how's everyone doing on their health kicks? MrB, are you piling on those much-needed pounds yet?

Snaggle, I know Wednesday is your most difficult day, so will be thinking of you tonight. Hopefully you'll post and let us know how you're doing and if we can support at all?

The sun's actually out here, so I'm going to mow the lawn for the first time this year!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Sandgirl,

Keep on working on sobriety and you will make it!

S