Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 10

Old 04-10-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Good luck JC, Saskia your post is definitely strengthening my resolve to never drink again! I hope you are ok and glad the liver is in regression-how long were you drinking heavily for? My sister has been heavy drinking for about 15 years-her eyes are yellow I worry it's liver damage-she in denial big time though.
Sandgirl, I drank in what I call "episodes". I sometimes lose track of the number of times I stopped and how long but I figured out at some point that out of 50 years since I first started drinking, I didn't drink at all for several stretches that totaled somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30 years with the longest single stretch being around 15 years. I was definitely a binge drinker and the liver doc said that is worse for the liver than the same amount of alcohol spread out over a longer time period. Neither is workable for an alcoholic, however!

S
Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hey all, just a quick post before I get chance to read through all the posts, super busy today.

Making a Chilli con carne tonight for family, god help me/them!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Sassy, you are definitely helping some of us on here!! I have been binge drinking (with no discernible breaks) for many, many years. My health is still top notch but I blame that on genetics and I really don't want to push it. You have no idea what a motivator it is and I really hadn't thought much about long term dangers until now. I'm so happy that your health issues are somewhat reversible.

BP, the health kick is going great! I've been taking a class with some friends that is kicking my butt - has anyone tried TRX yet? I've never been so sore in my life but I'm seeing results and feeling much stronger (once I worked through the worst pain ever). I've also taken up a cardio tennis class so I'm keeping busy and working new muscles. Nice to feel so healthy. Crazy how much I ate the first month but now on month two, tomorrow actually, and my appetite has leveled out.

Hope everyone's day/evening is going well!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Good Morning Marchers,

Had a bad night at work last night, one of my pinsetting machines broke down something fierce, Usually that would have sent me off on a bender.

That didn't happen last night, AV kept its big mouth shut and I was able to pass the local bar without even a thought of stopping!

Now I hope I can fix thhe machine without any unexpected problems.

Stay Strong

Ken
Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Well done Ken, got through some things today that would normally have me drinking but I don`t want a drink.
Thanks Saskia, I`m hoping that my sister seeing me giving up drink for good can give her hope she can too. :-).
Good luck with the chilli Mr.B
Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
except for unrequited love he's really in for a good life. I would love to get a female and start a little colony.
Maybe you could just paint the rock with pink lipstick and make it look like a turtle?
Little baby turtles...how cute would they be???
Old 04-10-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Ken, that's great! Every victory like that makes us stronger.

Ben, I'm making the vegetarian version of your chili with pinto and black beans, and good ol' American cornbread on the side! Mmmm, chili night!

Duffster, the gym I used to go to had TRX but I always steered clear because it looked like it required too much coordination! I once asked one of the personal trainers about it and even she didn't seem too sure.... That's great you're doing it and feeling healthy! I bought myself some resistance bands a couple days ago and have been relearning my Pilates routine and adding in some resistance band exercises as well. Also, my daughter and I spent ages bouncing on the trampoline this afternoon - that counts, right?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Geek033113 View Post
Ladies, I'm new to posting to this website but I couldn't help but giggle at the strings of conversations going on here. We've jumped from computer problems, to bad relationships, to breaking out skin, to wanting to get high again (ooclean: we hear you but we're kinda ADHD at the moment), to the sex and life of turtles. This is like a conversation I would have when I was toasted. . At one point, you mentioned shoes, I got all excited about that but then I realized that you were talking TO shoes and not about them.

I wish next to the "Thank You" thumbs up icon, there was a "Uh huh, I hear you." And an "Amen to that!" icon.

Okay, I'll go back to reading...and try to keep up as best I can.
Uh, I don't think I can call someone just Geek and adding all the numbers will just confuse me. Welcome G033!! We are a lively bunch around here. Jump right in...all are welcome in our world!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

bepresent - I had to google cornbread to check what on earth it was! Looks pretty good and would go awesome with chilli, maybe I will have to make some sometime! Nachos on the go here for starters, mexican food is the best.

Your version Sounds delicious, there's a local veggie restaurant close to my house and it's amazing, easily my fav 'pig out' spot, , much prefer my peppers and onions to meat anyway!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi my beloved Sober Marchers

Thanks for the messages and sorry to be out of touch. Work-related - basically at work or sleeping the past few days. Back when things settle down a bit. 71 days smoke-free and 40 days alcohol-free. Can't wait to catch up with my buddies here. In the meantime... Big love to all and thanks for the support:

Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Yey North, glad you're okay We have missed your pictures!. Welcome back to the wolfpack
Old 04-10-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
My internets been out for a few days - they've put in a temporary fix but it's likely to go out again....so I haven't really got the chance now to read now but I hope everyones doing ok.

we continue from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-9-a-25.html

D
Dee i just got a note saying i wasn't authorized to go into this site?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrbeagle View Post
bepresent - I had to google cornbread to check what on earth it was! Looks pretty good and would go awesome with chilli, maybe I will have to make some sometime! Nachos on the go here for starters, mexican food is the best.

Your version Sounds delicious, there's a local veggie restaurant close to my house and it's amazing, easily my fav 'pig out' spot, , much prefer my peppers and onions to meat anyway!
Ben, if you ever want to make cornbread, you probably won't be able to find cornmeal in the UK (I never have!) but polenta (the dry stuff, not pre-cooked) works the same way so just substitute. For a bread, cornmeal is super quick and easy as there's no yeast, kneading or waiting time - just stir it up and pop in the oven.

Northlander, great to see you! Really glad you're ok. I think you might be on day 41 because that's the day I'm on, and I thought we were sobriety date buddies...? Not that it matters of course! (Too much - *sniff*) Awesome job on not smoking as well.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

It's a new day. All the same pesky problems to deal with but it's so amazing to wake up and know I didn't make anything worse or more complicated then it has to be. Reality ain't so bad once you get over the initial shock of it.

BP and Duffster and Marcher13, you are my health heroes. My appetite has leveled off and I have eliminated all the processed foods and sugar eating only things that either grow out of the ground or have ingredients I can pronounce. That water bottle thing sounds awesome. I just coughed up way to much money for a clarisonic skin care thing but I've pissed away a heck of a lot more on a night out. I say go for it.

Hi North! Glad you are back!

AoS, how's the cutting back? I just bought an ecigg. It's still in the box but its there ready when I am. I have to take on my addictions one at a time. I'm amazed at all of you who can handle both. It's helpful to know its possible!

I think I'm a 41er too!

Later everyone!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

bepresent - maybe once North has taken us all to a desert island you could take us all over to America to sample the amazingly tasty food you guys have. My other half just returned from New York (I've not been to the US) with a crate of root beer, and plenty of peanut butter chocolate bars, and what can only be described as a 'bucket' of m&ms.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Definitely Ben! We'd have to hit some burrito bars as well - whenever we go back to the States, my husband's main goal is to eat as many burritos as possible!

Shoes, did you realise our sobriety date is 1.3.13 (UK date style) or 3.1.13 (US style)? I guess I'm a nerd for caring, but I love the symmetry of that date!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

JC well done on 12 days and good luck with the tests. How was your girls birthday?
I think a lot of us realise, ( being the intelligent folk we are!) what damage alcohol can have done to us. I am relieved my blood works came back normal, but feel very fortunate that that is the case. I have abused my poor body for decades, throwing poison into it time and again. No more.
Black, I hope you are ok, I know you have had a hard time lately so open up if you need help.
North! Glad to see you back, I so miss your pictures, love these wolves, I think they are gorgeous creatures, would love to see them back in Scotland . BP and Ben, lets have a cook off!! Yay!
Ken, sandgirl great strength there!
All ok here in Tootsville, just away to have moussaka. Slave away over a cold chiller counter for ooh, 30 seconds at least choosing it!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Well my 12th sober day has been a positive day. Going for a 10min walk, shower and bed. My moral seems to slowly improve, physically I'm feeling bit better to, still have the hive coming and going, some stings here and there but at least I am sleeping most of the night without terrifying strange thoughts.

Hope you are all doing well or at least improving. I am finding lot of help here, if I go away from here I will probably drink again.

@toots thanks for remembering about my daughter's birthday, it was very special not in any particular way but only because I was sober. We enjoyed it, saying that seems so little but trust me it means a lot as we never enjoyed one.
We have been around a lot I also took her to a heated indoor pool as a treat!! I ordered her a cake you can see the picture:

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Old 04-10-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by JCMalta View Post
if I go away from here I will probably drink again.
See occasionally I get riled. You'll drink again because you want to drink again, JC. It's as simple as that.

There's no other-wordly force that mystically leads you to abuse and no sodding website is going to stop you.

The only one that can make you stop and stay stopped is you.

Use the support, be accountable and use everything you fecking need but like everything else, this is a support mechanism not a panacea for living.

If you want to stay long-term clean you have to live it - every day, every hour, every minute, every breath. It needs to be the single biggest priority you have or you will fail.

Do you have that JC? Do you have that commitment?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Take a deep breath natty :p