Notices

Class of April 2013

Old 04-01-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I have a horrible time with binge drinking. I don't really drink during the week but find myself hungover and regretful almost every weekend. I know that I have to quit as I am plain tired of the anxiety, stress on my relationship, waking up wondering how much of a fool I made of myself the night before and the list goes on and on. Today is Day 1 for me and I pray that I never feel this way again.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

O.k. I'm ready to do this too!

I've been a pretty heavy drinker for twenty years now (mainly wine) . . . much heavier drinker in the last five years or so (wine, beer, liquor - whatever I could get my hands on). I joined SR in Dec and went 21 days sober (which was all I was willing to commit to then). Since then I've curtailed my daily drinking quite a bit, but continued to occasionally (and sometimes not so occasionally) binge drink with varying results. Sometimes I can have a few and be fine. Sometimes I can have many, many drinks (when I was only planning on having a few) and feel fine. Sometimes I can have a few, black out and hurt like hell the next day. Sometimes I can have a many, many, black out, and hurt like hell. It's just such a crapshoot.

I'm sick of waking up and feeling like hell. I'm even tired of waking up and feeling fine, but wondering why I DON'T feel like hell. I'm tired of not knowing how I'm going to feel from one day to the next because I let alcohol decide my life for me.

This is no way to live.

So, I'm ready to join you guys!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Can anyone say that the daily obsession and craving for alcohol goes away with time?? So tired of it always creeping into my head! I have a 3 year old daughter who I want to be healthy and happy for, mentally and physically.
You know Ladybug, I found that when I started being really conscious about eating only whole, good food, and eliminating sugar and caffine (and taking daily supplements - which your doctor really needs to approve for you), my cravings went away completely.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to everyone

I think it natural to obsess about not drinking for a while - after all we obsessed about drinking, some of us for years, if not decades...

You will find peace tho - none of us would still be here if we didn't

D
Old 04-01-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks, milly4me, I have found that when I am not drinking I really crave sweets (and I don't usually have a sweet tooth). Guess I am looking for some reassurance that eventually it won't be so hard to get through the day without thinking sooo much about drinking? Wishful thinking, maybe? I had 8 days and was feeling so good, then caved over the weekend. Back to Day 1 today....sigh
Old 04-01-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Well my sober date was some years ago but since its April fools day I figured I might fit into this class..... at least for today. Best wishes to you all. Play nice we are all here to help each other.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Welcome to all Aprilers
Old 04-01-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Ladybug,

I don't think it's unusual at all to crave sweets when you are giving up alcohol. I spent years and years trying to (albeit only half heartedly) to give up alcohol and found myself craving/eating all kinds of bad foods. I reasoned (and I think it's reasonable) that better bad food than alcohol . . . but then I always ended up drinking again.

Since Dec I've made a HUGE effort to revamp my eating habits. It just felt like my body was so malnurished from all the alcohol (and the alcohol so often replaced eating any good foods at all). Now I eat (at least) two good meals a day. I will still have my sugar if I want to, but not until I've eaten my good, whole foods first. And more often than not, I no longer want the bad foods once my body has the good ones instead.

And I' haven't had any cravings for alcohol for quite some time (even though I've still drank . . . but for other reasons besides cravings).

Now before I go to sleep at night, I make sure there are two good pre-made meals in my refrigerator (usually something very simple - like carrots and hummus, or cream of rice with almonds and coconut milk, etc . . .) Several times I've asked my H to do this for me (when I was too tired or stressed). He's been more than happy to help me get healthier.

I consider having good food in my body and in my kitchen absolutely essential to giving up alcohol.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

End of successful day3, just about to go to bed.

Drunk pints and pints of water today, about the same I would have of beer/lager, suppose that's a good thing.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I would love to join in. I haven't introduced myself yet, but I'm a mom of 3, almost 29 years old, been daily drinking for a while. Things have got out of hand lately and I need help. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and getting/giving encouragement.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey all! Welcome to new members, and not so new members wanting to give April a shot. I'm a member of April 2010. Hard to believe it was three years ago I joined. I learned that there are a lot of great people that quit in April.

Post often and support each other.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

javamama, welcome to this site and this thread!! We are glad to have you here,

Pamel
Old 04-01-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome javamama

D
Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Nearing the end of Day 4 here today. Having a bit of a hard time emotionally. Maybe it's the withdrawal, or the stress of the day (it was stressful), or having cried so much today. I've got a headache now, and I came in and thought, "A drink would make my head feel better." Duh! I took some ibuprofin and had some water instead.

Went to my 2nd 1st AA meeting (I went about 6 months ago and it was a bit of a disaster and I haven't been back since, so it seems like a first meeting again). It was so much better and the people seemed really real and nice. I guess the holidays are hard for everyone and I kept getting swept up in other people's emotions. It was really hard for me. I was on the verge of tears most of the meeting, not so much because of my own anxiety, which was definitely a part of it, but because everyone was so real and there were so many anxious/sad/lonely/happy/etc. feelings out there that it was just a little overwhelming for me. Does AA continue to feel so overwhelming? I may start a new post with this question...

Anyway, I had a nice chat with a gentleman about my age, maybe a bit younger (I'm in my mid-30s), and he'd been sober for 3 years. He gave me his number. I can't imagine actually calling it and bothering his evening, but it was really nice of him to stay for 20 minutes or so after the meeting to talk to me (it was a busy meeting with a lot of people and I never did share).

So I got my 1 month chip today. LOL They were out of 1 day chips and so the guy gave me a 1 month chip instead so I would have something and said I can keep it or he can swap it out for me at a future meeting and apologized. I told him I'd swap it out, I wanted to earn my one month chip, and I still do, but now that I've had it all day, I am kinda attached to it. I guess we'll see next Monday (they only do chips once a week) whether I want to part with it...

Anyway, just trying to ride through to bedtime here. Hope you've all had good days!
Old 04-01-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Welcome javamama
Old 04-01-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Welcome javamama! I like your screen name.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

hi everyone. would like to join if you don't mind. have tried quiting several times before. failed each time so I don't have a very good record. maybe this will be the one that sticks.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Welcome raamblingokie - glad you've joined us
Old 04-01-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Welcome rambling okie. I, too, have tried quitting numerous times on my own, but haven't been able to make it much past a week. Hopefully, this forum will help us. Nice to know we are not alone. I have been very disappointed with myself for awhile now...have a wonderful husband and beautiful 3 year old little girl, everything I have ever wanted, yet I still can't seem to stop drinking.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Unfortunately for me I relapsed on March 17th and have not stopped since.
Pain to the abdomen is back and am scheduled to return to the Dr in 3 weeks for further liver enzyme problems. What was I thinking?
I am to blame and noone else so I am now starting on day 1 today.
Wonder if I should cancel the Dr appt since even if i stay sober for 20 days that probably will not be long enough to help on the impending blood tests.
What an embarassment I am : (