Notices

Class of April 2013

Old 04-01-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

If I've found anything to be true in the last 48 hours ABIDE, it's that beating myself up over my past failures isn't helpful to me.
Good on you for making an appointment. Fear of the unknown sucks, and if you know what you are confronting, I find it easier to deal with.
A couple of things I've come across while reading here is: Don't worry about drinking tomorrow. Worry about not drinking right now.
Get lost in reading some of the peoples' stories here.
Comment when something strikes a chord.
Arm yourself with information--and who knows? Perhaps some inspiration as well.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to all the April folks here. I hope we can give to you some of what was given to us.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Joining this April group with true hope that I can stop this time.
I joined the March group and was doing well but then had a stressful health issue that is fine now but completely fell off and now feel terrible.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I'm on day 2 here, I was hungover all day yesterday, so I'm not sure i can even count yesterday as day 1. Ofcourse as soon as the hangover fades I start thinking about wine again..Im so dumb! I'm having sleepy time tea instead and watching the walking dead with my hubby. Keeping my mind busy.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pamel View Post
"When you are in the gutter, the curb is your horizon." Here's to getting onto the curb, from which the world becomes your horizon, Pamel
Pamela, I love that idea, that's staying with me. I plan to stay above that kerb. I'm in awe of how long you have managed to stay sober in the past. That is true determination. No matter how you are feeling now (or how you were feeling at day 1 in Feb), you most def know you can do it.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd keep the appointment ABIDE - pains not fun - and embarrassment isn't really something you'll worry about 12 months from now.

welcome to you, NewHouse and ramblingokie

D
Old 04-02-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Day 3 and feeling good! Had a good nights sleep, and feel I have an abundance of energy this morning. Welcome to all the newcomers!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Welcome Abide, NewHouse and RamblingOkie!

Rough night last night. Awful insomnia. So exhausted today and had to bring my DD to an early morning doctor's appointment before school for her physical. Really dragging. Off to get a little exercise, then an appointment of my own, and then off to my 2nd (3rd?) AA meeting. I think it's Step of the Month today. We'll see what that's about.

Planning to rock day 5 over here. Worried that my exhaustion will make that tricky, but I guess if I see the potential stumbling block, I can walk around it?

Have a great day Peeps (I may call us that for a while since we started around Easter)!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Joining April 2013. Drinking is holding me back. Commit objectify react enjoy!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

First day!

Hi!

Easter was my quit date (both smoking and drinking) - but on Easter I changed it until April 1st - because I really wanted a cigarette. April 1st was my new quit date - but got bored driving back from Airport, that I smoked again! Since I already smoked, I poured a rum and diet coke when I got home at 3pm.

Today is my new quit date! I hope I can do it, and am extremely nervous about failure.

I want to change my lifestyle, get healthy again - I want to look and feel great. I want to hit the gym, more often than I do now. I want whiter teeth. I want to wake up with ENERGY!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi Im 47 . Gave up alcohol for this year. Two slips or relapses in March- one on 16th so 2 and half months without alcohol then 2nd slip on 29th March.
Want to do April with you guys
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi CoffeeInstead, that's the nature of the beast I'm afraid - always looking for you to put off the day you finally tell the drink/smokes where to go. Try not to be nervous about failure, you should be more worried if you didn't even try. Hopefully all of us in this April group can help each other stay on the straight and narrow - We are all after the same thing - A new life full of energy and vitality and we can attain it.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi all, on Day 2 and feel great, but I have been here before. Start feeling really good and then the "hmm, a glass of wine sure does sound good..." thinking comes back. How quickly we forget that awful Day 1 feeling?! Going to try very hard to make it this month. Hope we can all help each other
Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I'm in too. April 1st just seemed like a really appropriate day to give up. I feel like I'm in a boat just sailing away from all the problems that alcohol causes me and want to keep going.
Have a great sober day everyone.
Tyre
Old 04-02-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I'm in. Long overdue. Tonight will be day 1. I am going to exercise, read a book and go to bed early. Nothing good ever happens late at night.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi all, sorry for the short intro earlier, but I was on my way to work but wanted to post before leaving. My drinking has been out of control for a long time. I quit for few months using SR back in June of 2011. But I was trying to start a social life after a long and terrible relationship and fell back into drinking again. It has progressively gotten worse. I'm back to drinking alone and sometimes at work. I have two kids under the age of 6 and feel like I'm letting them down. I've even started drinking with them in my care. I have also found a really great man (who drinks) but doesn't have a problem with it. He can stop after 2 and is responsible about it. Something I've never been. Anyway I guess there is a fear that I'll lose him over it. I'm not getting any younger. I need to be taking care of my health. So here is to sober day one. I'm in.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

So good to see April Class shaping up! I'm looking forward to each and everyone of us making it to the end of the month (and months beyond).

Medion - I concur . . . water IS so GOOD!

Javamaman - Welcome. I'm happy to see you here. I wish I would have sought help many years ago when I was 29 and my children were still young. You have so much SOBER life ahead of you.

Mustlovecoffee - Welcome Peep! I swear sleep is sosoososo important in the first few weeks. Honestly, I would prioritize sleep above getting exercise this early on.

raamblingoke - Welcome. Maybe someone can hold onto that month chip for you, so when you actually reach your month of soberity (which I know you will) you can get your old chip back.

abidebylaw - I completely understand the fear of getting your bloodtest. I'm the same way. Let us know how goes for you.

newhouse - welcome to the April group! That damn March 17 got me too. It is a holiday specifically built around drinking after all.

Irelander - Congrats on day 3. Every day is an accomplishment

Blackbird - Welcome! Bad relationships can really throw a wrench into so many of our plans and dreams. I'm glad your back on track. Maybe your new man can refrain from drinking while you are in early recovery.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hey all!

Coffeeinstead (what's with all the coffee names - lol) - giving up smoking AND drinking at the same time CANNOT be easy. Please don't punish yourself for a slip up. I have personally found that I have to tackle one habit at a time. Last year, I got my finances in order (and remain on a tight budget today). In Dec I put all my energy into eating better. Only now, am I tackling my drinking problem. Hang in there!

Tessider - sounds like your slip ups were short lived. I'm looking forward to hearing your advice for us newbies. Thanks for joining us.

Bobbyjim - Nice to "meet" ya!

Ladybug - so what is your plan when your mind starts telling you, "A glass of wine would be so good right now"?

Tyre - I LOVE the sailboat analogy. It's such a peaceful thought. I think I'm going to steal it and imagine myself sailing away from my troubles (drinking) too.

Hanker - Welcom!!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

So . it's Day 8 for me.

I had horrible dreams last night. Not the "monster chasing me" kind of dreams. But the kind of terrible horror that hits me to the core . . . like my best friend from h.s. was back in town but not taking my phone calls and telling everyone behind my back what a loser I was. I know, I know . . . I'm nearly 50 years old and still afraid of h.s. mean girls.

But I guess it kind of makes sense . . . I mean . . . not drinking and the fear of not fitting in . . . being a social outcast . . . and not having the booze to cover up the feelings of being a "loser".

Anyway, the plan for today 1) Eat good 2) start packing for our trip 3) DON'T DRINK 4) get some exercise, 5) DON'T DRINK
Old 04-02-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Great day plan milly4me

Welcome everyone who has just joined the class!

Day4 for me - getting a bit twitchy - but keeping busy and still loving the water!