Notices

Class of March 2013 part 2

Old 03-09-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks so much be present....I am the same way....i would have it as a treat after an exhausting day with my boys....but it is definitly in control of me now. I will use this site as a tool everynight and hopefully yesterday will have been my last drink!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Welcome, DeborahJO!

I'm so glad you joined us. I feel that this is a very welcoming and supportive group.

We are fairly quiet today since more are using the weekend thread to post. That is a thread for anyone needing extra support to make it through the weekend so you'll find both "newbies", old hands and everyone in between. Feel free to use either or both threads and any other resources here that interest you.

This journey isn't easy but is so worth it!

Sassy
Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kindness and support. I'm so lucky to have this site available, not sure what I would do without it.

Nagel - I actually really like ANY Sci-fi / Fantasy. Herbert, Eddings, Tolkien! I have friends that have really been trying to get me to read some of Isaac Asimov's works. So I think I am going to read the Foundation trilogy. I know its listed up there with Dune as some of the best writings in the field.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Take 2, I just lost the post I just wrote, doh!!
Welcome new people, Deborah, Nagel, Texas and Riverfriend. Good to have you here, good luck with your sober journeys.
Irelander, hang in there, if you look back in the posts, I had two starts to March, you feel horrible at the time, but it made me more determined the next time, good on you for not buying the beer, see you are stronger already! Stay close and post often :0)
Deborah, you are not alone. I have four kids, and I understand where you are coming from, it is tiring being a mum, and that drink helps you relax. What I can tell you after my one week of soberness is that I am so much more patient with my kids. I'm don't have a grumpy hangover in the morning, so I am not snapping at them, I am more motivated to do things with them and we are having much more fun together. I am a better mum, and it is so worth it.
Shoes, do you really have 360?, you're sounding great, yay! I love reading your posts, thanks for your kind words :0)
Saskia, congrats on 2 weeks, that is awesome!!
Old 03-09-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone...I actually found a sitter and will be attending my very first AA Meating...nervous and hoping it helps. I dont want to ball infront of everyone...pretty emotional day it has been. Glad I am finally not in denial.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

DeborahJo, I nearly burst into tears during my first AA meeting last Wednesday. I managed to keep it together and ended up crying on the bus ride home. I just listened at the meeting, but I am sure when I start talking I will cry. I say go for it. Everyone is there to support you and I can only speak for myself when I say that admitting I had a problem was one of the hardest things I've done and was hugely emotional. We're all here for you :-)
Old 03-09-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chanty View Post
Shoes, do you really have 360?
Ohmygod, I LOVE it!!
Old 03-09-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to all the newcomers

IreLander - why not *definitely* hit a meeting?

Do something different.
What have you got to lose really?

D
Old 03-09-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I found this article useful

10 Ways to Embrace Creative Recovery and Take Your Sobriety to the Next Level
Old 03-09-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IreLander View Post
Thank you all for your kindness and support. I'm so lucky to have this site available, not sure what I would do without it.

Nagel - I actually really like ANY Sci-fi / Fantasy. Herbert, Eddings, Tolkien! I have friends that have really been trying to get me to read some of Isaac Asimov's works. So I think I am going to read the Foundation trilogy. I know its listed up there with Dune as some of the best writings in the field.
Irelander,I just finished reading the Foundation Trilogy Plus one -- the fourth book is called "Fou dation's Edge". I haven't read any Eddings but during many years of scifi feasting, I always enjoyed Herbert, Azimov, Tolkien and Heinlein (yes I know, Heinlein is schmaltzy but still an enjoyable read).

S
Old 03-09-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chanty View Post
Wow, Chanty, thanks for the link. It's totally awesome!

Sassy
Old 03-09-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

It's great to see new members - welcome to you all!

Deborah, I am a mom of two toddler boys as well. They are the reason I am here. That didn't sound good, did it?? They are not the reason I'm an alcoholic, they are the reason I am 3 weeks sober. Actually, for the first few days before finding SR I scoured the internet for stories from children of alcoholics. Knowing the harm my drinking will do to my beloved boys is my strongest inspiration to stop it all.

Like Chanty I have been so much more patient these past few weeks. It's striking, really. And the truth is I can't keep up with two toddlers with a hangover - it's hard enough with a clear head

Irelander, please be gentle with yourself. You're here now which is where you need to be. You have a whole "army" of marchers here supporting you!! As you would do for us.

I'm starting to understand the Rational Recovery AV. I'm kind of working a multi-program model for myself right now. I like some of what AA has to offer but I like the finality of AVRT - just "knowing" that I will never drink again. Then there are days that I need to take it one day at a time. But I like thinking that there is a beast - and today it is telling me that after this break it's ok if I start drinking again. It's been too many years of binge drinking for me to even try to claim I can do it in moderation, I've never seen the point in that. If I'm going to drink I want to get drunk. But for now all I have to do is look at my little boys to know I just can't.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Welcome to the new people joining the Marchers, it's interesting that this thing doesn't discriminate, a kind of pandemic. I guess there is always something positive to be drawn from something so negative. I know without you guys here I probably would be a drunken obnoxious arse by this time on a Saturday night, I thank you all that I'm not. I've had a productive day, working this morning, cleaned my bike and watched the new DieHard film with my son and GF at the cinema. Quality time.

Irelander, nothing lost mate, dust off and climb back on. You've shown your strength by leaving that 12 pack, Irelander 1 - AV 0.... Good score mate.

End of day 9 and turning in now, have a great day/evening/night where ever you are! X
Old 03-09-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Been reading through the rational recovery site and see a lot of parallels to what kept me sober before my relapse. They call it the av but I always called it my whiskey monster. When my friends used to ask why I quit drinking I would tell them about my whiskey monster and joke "that f****r wants to kill me". Not much of a joke now because he almost did it twice. I am going to continue reading the site but if anybody has feedback on the program or similar methods please pm them to me (don't want to break the rules about posting). Thanks.

T

P.s. hanging with an old drinking buddy who flew into to visit and still holding strong!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Jimuk, you are sounding great! Guess everything is going ok at work?
I am like you Duffster, had to drink to get drunk otherwise really what is the point! My kids are my biggest inspiration too, they deserve a sober mum.
Glad you enjoyed the link Sassy, there are alot of great articles on that sight. This is another one I really liked about reasons to embrace exercise in recovery.
Why You Should Embrace Exercise After Leaving Treatment
I'm getting back into running, and I'm loving it! Anyone else taking up exercise?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I may have 360 shoes if you count individually and not pairs. I like shoes almost as I liked my wine. That motivates me to quit....more money for shoes.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

Although links can be helpful, we discourage linking to blogs here - it can get a bit over the top if everyone starts linking to blogs, and we actually have a rule against linking to commercial blogs.....

so no more thanks - I appreciate the good intent but it's hard for me or the other mods here to turn a blind eye if there's too many links

D
Old 03-09-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, like nagel I feel like I love you guys.

AV is whispering but I have a plan. Today's my BBQ lunch, Day 2 and a big test for me, I find I'm pushing against something and almost feel it physically, I keep having to take slow deep breaths. Maybe AV isn't an imp maybe he's trying to be a standover man?

Anyway I have found one way to outsmart him, I don't drink red wine so that's what I'm putting out for my guests, it'll go better with the lamb too. My tipple -- chilled white won't be chilled, no "spares", I've tied a bit of kitchen string around the handles of the doors where I keep the white just in case I need to remind myself. For those of you thinking 'get rid of it' I have three other adults in this house who are moderate drinkers.

Take care. Irelander don't beat yourself up, I tried that yesterday and it just made things worse. Sunday morning without a hangover is awesome.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Sorry Dee didn't realize. I just posted it in the fitness thread too, can you delete it? Sorry
Old 03-09-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's ok Chanty you didn't know.
It's all good

D