Notices

Class of March 2013 part 2

Old 03-09-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hello everyone and welcome Nagel - being terrified is a good thing and will pass - it means you are serious about stopping.

It is an emotional roller coaster for me - I am day 9, felt sick the first few days (sweats), then very pleased with myself, and now I got them blues. Not craving, just wanted to stay in bed all day.

Saskia, I love your new cat avatar and congrats on Day 14! And Dee, my thanks for moderating and keeping us organized - I really do appreciate it.

Hopefully my mood will improve as the day goes on. Went to my second AA meeting last night and going to another one tonight. Still getting used to saying I am an alcoholic out loud, and a bit concerned about going home after the conference. Visiting a city where I don't know anyone made me feel safe attending meetings.

Big love to my Sober Marchers!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good whatever time it is for you Marchers! Welcome Nagel!

Whoever said a sober Saturday was fabulous was absolutely right. Waking up at a half way decent time and looking forward to I have no idea what but better than I had is awesome. Not all that long ago today would have been spent hungover, possibly apologizing for some unkind comments or text messages, then sitting around miserable till I could uncork a wine bottle mid afternoon to start feeling human again...or frantically doing a million things on my to do list to fool myself into thinking I'm superhuman and then using that excuse to have a reward drink. Always one or the other. Today just feels...dare I say...wonderfully neither of those?? I have no one to apologize to, I didn't spend money I don't have, I still feel like many of you a little flu-ish but not flipping sick as a dog hungover, and if I do a few things or many things its just a choice I make and not a cover up so I don't have to face reality. I'm feeling super grateful and I'm need to tell you all.

March13 - you are an inspiration to me. Totally honest, so courageous, and you alway thank people and think of others inspite of what you may be dealing with. Amazing

Jimuk - You don't say much but what you say speaks volumns. No matter what you always show up. You are one of those corner stones holding up our little building!

JimJim - I don't know you from Adam but I suspect you have the heart of a poet. You have expressed some of your darkest feelings in a brutal truth like no other. I can't wait to hear more from you and I always look for your posts.

Sassy - You are one in a million. Why am I not surprised you are out there volunteering? You say what you have to say and it always comes from a place of kindness and service. How in the heck do you do this individual post thing? I'm going to need to get a notebook!

Chanty - The first Aussie I've really ever have gotten to "know". You have an underlining optimistic spark that comes through even when you ain't having all that much fun with this addiction bs.

It's ok not to drink Dave - another one of few words but boy are they good ones. Always honest about the cravings. Amazingly strong to me. So honest your screen name is teardrop.

Duffster, Kiya, Lulu, Kelly, Percussion, Forabetterlife, and all my other Marcher friends - I will be thanking you all later on another post since I'm getting awfully long here. Just know I read everything you say and I am grateful for each of you. Now go get your shopping, exercising, living going and let me know how it all went later!

Oh yeah, thank you Moderator Dee I don't have a clue where you live and I would probably need to get a world globe out to find it but thank you for everything. Ain't the Internet great?? I got friends from all over the world!

Just gushing with gratitude Shoes
Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Northlander! Big love back at ya!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey, Northlander, congrats on reaching Day 9! Recovery doesn't happen in a day or week and I think it's a lifetime process. That said, from past long sober times, I can say that it does get better! Especially early on, there will be some down days for most of us. Persevering is well worth the effort it takes. The difficult times gradually become few and far between. It sounds like you are doing what you need to do to stay sober and I believe you will manage to continue that when you get home. Just keep your eyes on the goal and keep doing the things that are helping you succeed now.

Day 14 for me and yes, it is getting, well, not always easy but definitely easier.

S
Old 03-09-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Another marcher

Hi all,

I am 3 days into my second attempt this year to beat a relapse after 5 years of sobriety during which i was a dry drunk more that anything.

My first period of sobriety started after I almost lost my life after being shot during a robbery that I stupidly and drunkly resisted. I was shot in the neck and was in a coma for 3 days. Somehow the bullet missed my spine, throat and arteries but it was still touch and go for for a few days because of swelling and detox from a .487 bac. Needless to say that gave me a wake up to the gravity of the problem that I had.

That I managed to stay sober for 5 years is amazing as I always had cravings and didn't develop good coping mechanisms. Over the last year of the 5 I made every excuse that I could to justify having just one thinking that this time would be different.

Of course when I fell off the wagon I fell hard and within a month I was back to my old self and causing pain to myself and others again. During the last year I have lost almost all that I built in the previous 5 including an amazing woman, many friends that had finally come back since I was sober and my business.

It's good to know that there are others in the same spot that I am and that they are determined to get sober and stay sober. Thanks all for posting and I will monitor this thread going forward.

Good luck and thanks again,
T
Old 03-09-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I may have ran to the computer with excitement over getting to read more from you guys. I kinda love you all and find all of you to be amazingly inspirational. You just go through life and feel like no one understands you. How many times have you heard someone outright tell you that they don't understand it. They don't understand why we have this problem, like we chose it. And to find you guys here, and so open, it just feels so amazing. Thanks so much guys. I look forward to reading more and getting to know you all. Stay sober.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Heya all, back at square 1. Or day 1... ashamed and frustrated. Good news is that I was gonna leave here today and go get a 12 pack, but decided to post on here instead and hold myself accountable. Im hoping that even though I fell, I fell forward. Gotta get up and try again. Gonna go to the bookstore, get a coffee and read a book. maybe hit a meeting or something. so ashamed to go back into that room and get another 24hr chip...embarrassing.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chanty View Post
Dee you must have a full time job looking after this site. You are amazing, and offer so much support. Just wanted to say thanks.
Second that!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Irelander!

Thanks for your honesty. I know it's hard. When we fall, we fall HARD. Stick with it, you know it's worth it. You are a good human being and deserve to be happy, do it for yourself.

What do you read? I'm a big Orwell fan, '1984', 'Animal Farm'. I love the book 'Enders Game' (new movie adaptation this year), I'm just starting Hemingways' 'A Farewell to Arms'.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Glad to "see" you Percussion. Welcome Nagel!

Ohmygosh guys! I am on day 6. Been awhile since this has happened. Probably not since before I went to Vegas for my second anniversary last July.

My busy day includes organizing the basement, going to see Oz (yes I know the reviews are horrible) and attending another AA meeting. I haven't really found one that I 'click with' yet.

I also worked out to one of my favorite aerobic step routines and it kicked my butt. This is a routine I used to do with ease. And I will again!

Go Marchers!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Irelander,

Don't be ashamed of failing, we all have before. Just dust yourself off and start again. I relapsed after 5 years and it has only been since I got my ego out of the way and put my shame away that things are getting better. Also all the activities you mentioned are great but something that always helps me is going for a long walk. Soothes the mind and gives you exercise.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Ireland, the last time I slipped, I came away from it with a greater clarity of my addiction and what I have to do.

It seems like you have too. Instead of falling back into old patterns and withdrawing into your own world, you came and posted on SR and planned out your sober day.

You rock!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, it's my day 9 and I have just been catching up on the thread. I so appreciate everyone's honesty and supportive attitudes. As someone else on here said (can't remember who, sorry!), it feels like there's a little army of us marching toward freedom and helping each other up if we slip or we're about to.

IreLander, don't beat yourself up about being back at day 1! It's great you came on here to post instead of buying that 12-pack. If you go to a bookstore and want something inspiring relating to alcohol, I really enjoyed both 'Dry' by Augusten Burroughs and 'Kick the Drink Easily' by Jason Vale. The latter is one of those books that's written to brainwash you into thinking you don't like alcohol anymore, and while I've had limited success with this approach as a complete solution, it's a really uplifting and positive read.

Welcome, T4texas. Great to hear about your five years of sobriety! That is a looong time, and it's great to hear that it's possible. Congrats on getting to day 3 - this is a very supportive group, so you're in the right place!

It's 5.30pm on Saturday and usually I would be cracking open the wine, but not tonight! I must admit I'm having some cravings but feel confident I won't give in. Instead have been treating myself to some mocktails (again, someone else mentioned this) - 7up with mashed up fresh strawberries and mint is delicious, or 7up with pineapple juice!

Sending out good thoughts to all my fellow Marchers :o)
Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Never heard of mocktails. thanks for sharing that.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

This would be Day 4 for me, and feel fully (or very very nearly) recovered from the horrors of my most recent withdrawal/hangover.

Planning a bike ride today and some reading -- actually, I have a list of "to-dos." Of course the Most Important thing happens to be a NOT to do.

Stay the course, all the rest of you sober Marchers -- there is STRENGTH IN NUMBERS.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi All,
Day 2 here. Went to a meeting last night and just got home from an early Saturday morning meeting. Have a BBQ and musical performance this afternoon and tonight. But feeling good and have committed to 90/90. It's helping. Have a great weekend all.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Welcome to our Sober Marchers, T4texas, and Riverfriend! Just so you are aware of it, we also have a weekend thread going for this March thread for the extra support we often need on early weekends. I haven't had a chance to get over there yet but will periodically pop in here.

Day 14 for me.

For those who slipped, please try not to beat yourselves up. It has been my experience that the more I beat myself up and feel awful, the harder it can be to climb right back on the sober wagon. I lost count of how many times I did that after being sober for most of 10 years. I am very stubborn and am just not giving up. With my health, drinking is not an option at all.

Irelander, good for you for not picking up that 12-pack. When we slip, I learned from Dee that I need to ask myself what else I need to do to stay sober. For some, SR is enough but for many of us it is a great help but not enough by itself. It's a great avenue for sharing but some like me need more. If anyone is looking for other resources, you might want to check some of the other threads here. I've seen suggestions for helpful books, other web sites and other programs. Hang in there -- you can succeed!

Fondly,
Sassy
Old 03-09-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Bepresent, congrats on 9 days!

MeSoSober, congrats on coming right back and Day 1!

RiverFriend, congrats on Day 2!

Nagel, congrats on Day 1!

Percussion, congrats on Day 1!

NewDay, congrats on Day 6!

Irelander, congrats on Day 1!

T4texas, congrats on Day 3!

360shoes and Northlander, I've lost track of your days. From your posts you both sound strong, wise and committed!

Good for all of the Sober Marchers for embarking on this challenging and worthwhile journey!

Sassy
Old 03-09-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi everyone
My name is Deborah...today is the first day I have admitted to being an alcholic. I am a mom of two toddlers...and several nights a week I binge drink after they go to bed....it has gotten progressivly worse...and very fast. I realize I am not in control and have to refrain from even one drink. I hope I can learn from people and find hope and inspiration. I dont want to feel alone anymore
Old 03-09-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks Sassy, and major congrats to you on day 14!!

Welcome Deborah, it's a huge step to realise you have a problem with alcohol. This is a really supportive group, and we'll all be behind you as you work to get and stay sober.

I'm the mother of a 5-year-old, and there are quite a few other parents of young children on here. I know for me, at least, alcohol was a nice relaxing treat at the end of a seemingly never-ending day - until that 'treat' started to control me, rather than me controlling it. And the whole situation is even more complicated with a child or children at home....

Sending you and your family very best wishes, and I hope to see more of you on this board :o)