Notices

Class of May 2012 part 17

Old 02-21-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Good morning, dear Mayans!

Another early one for me but it's a sober one so that's the most important part right now.

OLL, congratulations on 9 sober months! Well done!!!

Jane, congratulations on 6 days and especially for staying sober at the BBQ! You're off to a great start!

Kittycat, I love your line "We are cold ... And we deserve to be sober". So true! Always good to see your posts. I find it comforting to see "old" friends posting and their continued successes with sobriety. I realized we've been together for 9-10 months, more or less.

Jeni, I understand that the decisions you are wrestling with are extremely difficult. It can be incredibly difficult to turn our backs on family. I found that after mine were gone, the struggles gradually faded for me and are no longer intensely important. Just as we make our choices in life, so do they. They are not responsible for the choices we make today (yes, they have had lots of influence, but ultimately we can choose what we do now). At the same time, we are not responsible for the choices they make. One question I might ask myself (and others may well disagree with me on this) is "Is anything I do going to make any real difference? And if so, what will be the toll on me and my family?" I don't think there is a single "right" answer for all of us.

Rock buddy, are you off again? How are you doing? I miss you!

Em, I hope you're ok! Are you struggling?

FP, I know you are overloaded so it's nice when you check in, even with a brief message like yesterday :-)

To all, have a great day!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Jeni, a quick PS. I don't think there is a single "right" decision in the situation you are facing. No matter what decision you make there are pros and cons. But ask youself this: In the grand scheme of things, is this a decision that is life or death? Will the earth stop spinning on its axis if you make one decision or another? Will either decision put your sobriety at risk? Will either decision hurt you, H and/or your children?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:24 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations OLL

D
Old 02-21-2013, 04:09 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Congratulations OLL on 9 months of sobriety7 One year is right around the corner!

Jeni - Hugs to you! I suspect you will make the right decision for yourself.

FP - I am happy to hear that you are enjoying your orchestra practice so much.

Jane - Congratuulations on getting through an event where alcohol is served and not drinking!

Kitty - So glad to hear from you.

I haven't been feeling well the past three days and the probem is just baffling to me. I am hoping to go get my bloodwork done on Saturday. After nearly 7 months of sobriety, I should be feeling much better and I am not. My husband thinks it might be a cyst that I have on my neck that is causing the headaches. I am going to need to explore that as well.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Thursday!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you find out what the problem is Tanja

D
Old 02-21-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Tanja, sorry to hear you aren't feeling well! I hope you and your doctor can get to the bottom of this very soon. You have been suffering from this for quite awhile. I think it's wonderful how you are maintaining your sobriety through this!

Xoxo
Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! It feels good to have achieved 9 months. I could not have done it without you guys and this site. My inlaws came last night and brought wine. I felt like I was cheating just by being able to smell it. A conversation was started on wineries and I politely, and hopefully casually, directed it to another topic. I don't mind my husbands beers for some reason, but I still can't stand being around anything I would have drank. So a little squirmy but nothing unmanageable. They're a little overbearing in other areas that I don't appreciate. But isn't what inlaws are for? Treated myself to my ice cream when they left and woke up to all these well wishes for my 9 months! I'd say I'm winning! I think a check in from HRB would send me over the moon today, hint hint . Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Tanja-I'm hoping the docs discover what the problem is for you soon and you start picking up. You deserve to be well and happy. Take care my friend xxx
Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

OLL, special congratulations on hanging tough last night! I'm glad that ice cream and then the celebrations today cheered you up
Old 02-21-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

OLL Congratufreakinglations on 9 months!

Tanja I hope you find out whats up soon.

Things where crazy here last night, loud screaming drunks and loud music. I hope it's just this crazy because it's O Week and things quiet down when semester starts. If they don't I don't think I can live here anymore for my sanity or my sobriety.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 9 MONTHS MILESTONE, ONELESS!!!

Mammoth is meditating joyfully and serenely over your stupendous sober accomplishment! 9 whole months, girlfriend! So much love and big, proud hugs to you.

meditating-elephant.jpg
Old 02-21-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Good Thursday eve, my wonderful Mayans! That much closer to Friday and sleeping in on Saturday. I'll probably need 10 hours to feel somewhat pachyderm again. I was up until midnight last night finishing a work project for an early meeting today, sheesh. Kept losing focus when people were talking, but no one died because of it, so that's cool.

Had a great session with my horn duet partner yesterday. He gave me spot-on tricks to decipher tricky time and tempo changes. On a particularly difficult set of measures, he agreed to let me record his playing on my iPad so I could review it while practicing at home. What a super helpful guy!

(((Tanja))). I do hope your health improves soon and that everything turns out okay. You're so generous and thoughtful in your posts to us. Big, snuggy hugs of love and support to you.

Emily, how are you doing, my friend? I see your Thank You tags to let us know you're still here with us. Please send us a post when you can.

Okay, my beautiful boaters, again it is past my bedtime after finishing up yet more take-home work. If I kept meditating as in OneLess's mammoth milestone pic, I'd tip over sideways into a deep, snoring snooze. Taking my own advice here to sign off for now. Keep up the great sober strength, everyone, and thank you for letting me get away with mini-posts in my busy interim. Love and hugs to all.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  
Administrator

'night FP

D
Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Sleep tight, FP!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Today was my friends funeral. I couldn't afford to attend as it was in another state. My friends have gone and I'm feeling pretty crummy.

I'm not drinking. I have no money for alcohol anyway. but I think I'm going to home to bed and watch DVDs.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  
Administrator

Clear a little space in your heart and remember your friend in your own way Jane.

D
Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

SJD-If you make a little time to remember your friend and pay your respects it doesn't matter where you are. Thinking of you xxx

Love the pic FP. Take good care of yourself xxx

Love you all loads. Friday morning here. I'm feeing a bit sad, my Dad is refusing to see any of us and I feel shut out and powerless. I'm in regular contact with my sister and that is a relationship I'm keen to build on. I'm contacting a therapist today, a big step for me. There are a lot of bubbling emotions going on for me and I need to talk them out. I think I will be able to talk about family stuff and I need to now.

There's only so much I can sort out in my own head.

I'm sober though and really strong in the knowledge and belief that a drink will only make everything muddled for me and so much worse.

Have a good day everyone xxxx
Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

FP - So glad to hear that you had a great session with your horn duet partner Wow, it really sounds like you taking a lot of work home with you. Just remember TGIF!! I hope you get some good rest and relaxation this week-end. Thank you for your big heart and continued support.

SJD- Both Dee and Jeni have given you great advice. I do hope that you feel better today. You flexed an emotional muscle when you were in a drinking atmosphere and you did not drink. You are very strong and you can get through this too!

Jeni - I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad shutting you out. Thrilled to hear that you are setting up an appointment with the therapist! You are such an inspiration to me!

Up at 3:30 am today. I have been having bad dreams every night. I was re-reading "Beyond the Influence" and apparently bad dreams are one of the symptoms of PAWS.

Hope everyone has a good Friday!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Good morning, Mayans!

FP, I hope the pace of your work slows down a little. I'm so happy for you that you have the orchestra! What a great relaxation from the stresses of work that must be! So often we think that relaxation means inactivity but I think that doing something different that we love is much better.

SoberJane, so sorry you couldn't make it to your friend's funeral. Dee said it so beautifully. So happy to hear you are staying sober and it's great to have you back here regularly. Not surprisingly our band of Mayans has been shrinking over time as people feel more secure in their sobriety. I think it's healthy for them to move on when they feel it's time. For me, it's great to see familiar "faces" every day :-)

Tanja, sorry to hear you are having bad dreams every night. Could be PAWS or could be something else. I have non-alcoholic friends who have them, too. They can be so very disturbing.

Jeni, I'm so happy that you are staying strong in the midst of family crisis, though not surprised. You find the strength to do what you need to do when the time is right.

Dee, one of the things I appreciate so much is your ability to say so much in very few words. As I thought about that, I realized that for what you do as a moderator, it's probably a necessary skill or your fingers would be worn out .

OLL, last day of the work week for you! I hope you have a relaxing weekend. I hope it's as sunny where you are as it is here :-)

Em, Kitty, Rock buddy, Lee and everyone else, have a lovely day!

AFM, I'm very much enjoying the sober life. I marked my most recent Day 1 in my calendar but am not counting. Each day is unique and for me that way of thinking weighs less heavily. The rare occasion when I'm tempted I mentally run through my reasons for not drinking and I start an activity that keeps my mind occupied. I've also stopped thinking that "someday" I might be able to drink moderately. I can't. That seems to work for me.

Xoxo
Sassy
Old 02-22-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

OLL: Congratulations, nine months is really a big accomplishment

:day

Have a great weekend everyone, stay safe

Bloss