Notices

Class Of November 2012 - Part 5

Old 02-02-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Hi gang, my beautiful November friends that stuck with it. And happy to see people that slipped and came back to us.

Just catching the tail end of the conversation. If you sign up for Redbox text messages, you get a free movie once a month, but you have to get it that day. I like Redbox -- sad, though, they put what's left of the other movie shops out of business, at least the big ones.

At my women's meeting today I had the lead. I talked about how I am getting back to the place where I am wondering if I am really an alcoholic. I rarely think about drinking anymore, and I can't relate to any of the stories in the big book. I thought that would p i s s people off, but it didn't. They understood and were compassionate. I like the camaraderie of my new friends, and hearing their stories helps.

I've been only going to that one meeting, I don't feel the need to go to more than one meeting a week.

Hugs!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Hey there my Novie peeps! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend! I would comment about what lovely weather we are still having here but I don't want to upset nomis ... If I could bottle it up and send it to ya I would!!

So the {as the preacher put it} most extravagant 'simple' wedding he had ever seen went off without at hitch (as far as any of the guests knew). What I learned is that I will never EVER agree to cook kabobs for 150 people EVER again ( did I say EVER?). Fortunately 4 ladies from the school showed up to help. So Wednesday night we had a cutting party and Thursday night we had a stabbing party. Needless to say it was fun and stressful all wrapped into one.

WARNING FOR GUYS!! GIRL TALK IN 3....2.....1
To top off the stress I was late. Not for the wedding (well, I was late to that too, including but not limited to me running food to the wedding in my PAJAMAS while people were showing up all dressed to the nines...can you say peopleofwalmart - Panama edition) , but the kind of late that makes a woman nervous. Late, like when you are heckling a batter at a baseball game when he swings late and misses and you yell... "Hope your girlfriend isn't that late!!" Late...which should NOT be happening at 42 years old, when are done having kids, and your husband has been fixed. I'm never late, but it happened. My only thought was... well, actually this is the first time in years that if I was I wouldn't have to worry about having had a drink during the first two weeks. So Thursday afternoon I FINALLY took a test. It was negative. I'm not sure how I felt about that.

Anyway... interesting drinking story(ies). One of the ladies that helped me out both nights invited me over after the wedding for a "we made it" celebration drink. I told her that I had quit drinking but we would love to come hang out. It was funny how offended she acted. She even made the statement that we didn't have to come if we didn't want to. It was odd.

So we went over and I was the only one not drinking, which really wasn't an issue. We had a wonderful time. HOWEVER!! I did something that I am incredibly ashamed of. One of the ladies doesn't drink often and was extremely tired and had finished all but the last inch of wine in her glass. I could tell that it was already effecting her and she was either really tipsy or really tired or a combo. So she says that she's done with her glass. I chirped with my TYPICAL alcoholic "You can't stop drinking cause I will feel bad" mentality and said, "You can't leave wine in the glass!! That's alcohol abandonment!" I was half joking, and it's something that I have ALWAYS said to people. This poor girl, when no one else would drink it for her, chugged the last bit. That last little bit sent her over the edge from tipsy to REALLY tipsy. I felt like a complete SCHUMK! I couldn't believe that even though I was sober I was still acting like the typical alkie. SO, I'm going to apologize to her tomorrow and tell her to NEVER again let ANYONE shame her into drinking when she has decided she has had enough.

So that's been my week... I am SO grateful for all of you who are still here. I ran some stats today (cause I'm a HUGE geek that way). Do you realize that out of the 125 that joined this group between Nov and December, that there are only 16 of us that still post on a routine basis. Proud of you guys! You are in the minority of those who make it!

Have a blessed start to the new week!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Hahahaha, Sisterella, your inner alkie was showing
Sorry you had that late scare, that must have been spooky! And I am jealous of your weather, it is freezing and there is snow on the ground here in Chicago. So cold, my doggie has to wear a coat when I take her out. What's your kebab recipe?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Marine - I am sorry for the loss of your husband and grandmother. You have been dealing with a lot and I'm proud of you for being strong.

Rochele - I won a Vitamix in a raffle at my Whole Foods store - it's the only thing I've ever won of any value and I love it. It sounds like you are enjoying yours and the green smoothies.

Sazzle - your ring sounds beautiful and congratulations on the 100 days!

Sisterella - I would not like to have to cook for that many people, would not want a "scare" like you had and I'm always envious of your warm weather even though I live in a more temperate climate than Nomis!

Hello Dee, FMFT, AnotherPaul, JuneBug, Wifi, Belize, Nickipoo, Nomis, VeryReady and all other Novies!

Today is Super Bowl Sunday in the States and I'm looking forward to a evening at home watching the commercials since I'm not a big football follower. Last year, we were at a party where I know I drank too much. Not this year!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Sazzle I do LOVE the pearl idea! That is so cool and congrats on 100 days!

June I did 2 types of kebobs... one chicken and one veggie.

The chicken we cut into chunks and put in Wishbone Italian dressing over night. Then once the kebob was assembled we rolled it in a marinade of equal parts of soy/Worcestershire/Olive oil --- plus some fresh minced garlic, ginger and sugar

The veggie kebobs were marinated a mixuture of 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1/4 water, 1/4 spicy mustard, 3 Tbsp honey, 3 Tbsp fresh garlic, 3 Tbsp fresh minced basil...

They turned out awesome!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Hi everyone. I hope everyone is feeling ok. I have checked in a few times and I know there has been a lot of sad times and illness with some of you. I never really know what to say so haven't tried, but I do wish everyone here well if possible.

I am now over 90 days. I am going to an AA meeting tomorrow to get a chip. I think everyone should go get a chip at least once. I get a pretty big kick out of it. The people at these meetings probably think I have the shakes, and haven't figured out that I am just a nervous wreck at these things yet. But, I will continue to go until I figure out what it is all about.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Congrats VR!! That is awesome! You deserve to go get your chip!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Congrats VR,!! I agree, go get the chip. I have 90 days coming up and I plan to go get one, too!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Way to go VR!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  
Administrator

great stuff VR

D
Old 02-04-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Wow, 90 days is awesome, Very Ready! I feel the same way about the meetings but I still go too
I got my 30 day chip, it doesn't mean that much to me! Some of these people have been sober for years and go to 3 - 5 meetings a week. That's too much for me but once a week is nice.

Sister, thanks for the marinade recipes, those sound great. Did you grill them or do them in the oven?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Happy Monday after Super Bowl Sunday Novies! Just checking in.

Stress is a huge trigger for me and over the weekend my son and his wife had another huge fight with my son coming to our house on Friday evening and then spending the night on Sat. and his packing stuff to stay with us yesterday afternoon. Fortunately, after texting with his wife constantly while he was here yesterday, he went home last night. Their marriage is a roller coaster and they have 2 young children. There's nothing I can do to help them so I worry and and stress out. I so wanted a drink during this time. *sigh* Do cravings ever stop???
Old 02-04-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Awesome, veryready! 90 days is terrific!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Veryready - Congrats on being over 90 days...so proud of you! And yes, go get that chip!!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Hi all, just checking in with my Novie friends...

VeryReady - Congrats!!!! Awesome!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Big shout out to everyone else...

I hope you all have a safe and sober day!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Gee, I haven't posted here at all...

I got my 90-day coin last Wednesday, after a very stressful day last Monday.

Hoping to find a job soon!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Welcome Coldfusion!

Nik --- I'm not sure. I think when we get stressed or angry our self destructive side kicks in. At least it does with me. Stay strong! You got this!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Hey Wifi - good to see you here.

CF - Welcome. Missing you in kicking asphalt.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Nikki, cravings never seem to stop! Maybe they get less frequent?

We are expecting a blizzard, and immediately, my mind goes to a fantasy of sipping red wine and baking cookies and making food! I have both addictions in my fantasy, lol. Ugh.

Glad to see you Wifi!

welcome Coldfusion!

Our thread is less busy, and I hope that is because we are all coping well and needing one another less often.

Hugs to all. Off to work at the school a bit and run a few errands before the big blizzard hits us tomorrow!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

I have a feeling that cravings will come and go. I can go days, even weeks without thinking about a drink, then all of a sudden, BAM, I want one. I gotta say, though, I have not been as stressed out since the shrink I started going to prescribed Lamictal. I am much more mellow.

Actually, I think not drinking may have something to do with me feeling more mellow. Now that I am not burying my feelings in a bottle, I am really feeling things and a lot happier.

How about you guys? What have you noticed is different about you or your life since you quit drinking?