Notices

Class of May 2012 part 13

Old 10-26-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Grats jeni on 5 months!! You are doing great.. Even when you may think you're not. The only way we cam come close to solving our troubles is by being sober and that's exactly what you are. X 5 months!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations to you too Tanja

D
Old 10-26-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 5 months, Jeni! That is wonderful!

Way to go, Tanja on 90 days! I am totally with you on the low self-esteem and not feeling like I deserve to be happy. We'll get there...

TGIF! So glad to have the weekend upon us. I need some extra sleep. Hit the 8pm meeting last night and talked to a man who was visiting from out of town after. He's spent most of his life in prison and had such an incredible outlook and message of hope. How interesting that a prosecutor should hear just the right thing from someone on parole? God works in mysterious ways, that's for sure!

Today is day 7: Going to do a short day at the office, then some errands, a workout, a little relaxation, dinner and then a meeting. Sober cheers to the Mayboaters!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Good morning, May boaters!

Congratulations on 5 months, dear Jeni!!!

Congratulations on 90 days, dear Tanja!!!

Good to hear from so many of our boaters doing well! It's inspiring. i enjoy your check-ins and appreciate the wonderful support!

AFM: doing ok! Will be electronically silent until Sunday evening or Monday listening to the ocean waves. Should be very relaxing! I'm working on keeping the Sassy back in Sas :-)
Old 10-26-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Way too sore to finish painting today! I'm gonna have to get over it. The professionals said it didn't have to be done anyways, I just cooking and eating and sitting under the this stuff. I am one week away from this nightmare to be over. Next weekend, I will doing be a final cleaning, leaving the windows open with fans running no matter how cold it is, and getting this house back in order. Then to chip away at the bills. Is anyone else getting nervous about holidays? Is it always gonna be something with me? I feel like I was doing so well the first few months. Then this house stuff happened and now I'm projecting too much and too far into the future. I honestly have always been so good with money, so having this new debt and holiday shopping coming up, plus the original stuff we wanted to do to the house before filling it with kiddos, I feel like I'm never gonna get ahead again. I am trying to be grateful for what I do have though. Sobriety, health, husband, income, roof, coffee.
Saskia, have a nice trip! Will you be near the hurricane?
Emily, how are you doing?
Pink, glad to hear all is well!
FP, hope I didn't put you out asking a personal question, how are you doing?
Jeni, I'm thinking of you.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 90 DAYS MILESTONE, TANJA!!!

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 5 MONTHS MILESTONE, JENI!!!

Mammoth is celebrating your inspirational accomplishments by having fun playing in the East coast Fall leaves. All of my best wishes to both of you on your special day!

elephant-playing-in-leaves.jpg
Old 10-26-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Thankyou all xxx.

I'm home from work, just had a hot bath cos its freezing here! The weather forecaster called it an 'arctic plunge' which doesn't bode well for the weekend!! The kids are both out and H and I are having fish and chips (an English delicacy!!), and gonna snuggle up and watch a DVD. His choice, so is bound to be some violent gangster movie which will make me cringe. Still, he may surprise me.

You all help me so much. I've brought a lot of work home with me to do this week, but this weekend I'm going to do nothing but nice stuff. I'm determined to relax.
Everything has sort of got on top of me, I'm no good at time management or prioritising or putting myself first.

I am starting to chill out like I used to do on Fridays, minus the alcohol of course.

I will be ok.

Lots of love to tanja, 90 days is awesome my friend.

FP, the leaves look like the pile in my back garden! Thanks for the pic xx

Sas, have a wonderful trip.
Love you all xxx
Old 10-26-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi May Mates!

I've been reading but not posting much lately, sorry for that. Working long hours and when I come home I read on my phone but don't want to type on it. Still sober, day 15 today. Semi-quiet weekend planned, errands and housework. Going to dinner with another sober friend Saturday night to celebrate her 1 year of sobriety! I may decide to talk to her about my recent relapses but I don't think I will do it Saturday. I want to honor her 1 year and not dwell on me during the dinner. Regardless, good to have sober friends to have fun with! And Sunday I'll be meeting up with another girlfriend who knows I don't drink, so lots of sober fun all around....sprinkled in with some busy work.

Otherwise, mood-wise I am doing just so-so. You know that point you get to where the initial resolve starts to dim just the littlest bit? I am feeling there lately. I know I need to get back on the exercise train, would like to get to a yoga class this weekend. I also have this huge mess of a house to clean up and honestly once that is done that will brighten my spirits!!! For some reason I have spent a few nights watching TV, which I NEVER do.....funny how I've caught up on Celebrity Rehab seasons 4 & 5 and now have started the latest season with regular addicts.....I just never watch television but I've been able to relate to some of these trashy reality shows in the last week! Can't remember if someone on this thread mentioned that or if there were other SR forums where someone post about watching Dr. Drew's shows??? If you are here sobriety reality show watcher you should show your face so we can discuss!

Still working on that self-forgiveness. It is truly better, really, but I know I flushed up just the other day when a memory of my recent relapse entered my mind suddenly. I remind myself that I am harder on me than anyone else and that most people who I encountered that evening probably have long forgotten the silly drunk girl at the bar that night. I guess the worst feeling is that I did that in front of the guy I recently dated - he is probably thanking his lucky stars he doesn't have to deal with this emotional wreck one more second.

Re-reading that last bit I realize I sound like such a downer but I'm not going to delete it....

Sorry I am not responding to you all personally....but I have read all your posts and missed you all will try to be less scarce around here. Would love to know what y'all are up to this weekend...
Old 10-26-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Congrats on all the milestones!! I am looking forward to day 100 with triple digits!! I'm quite a ways away from that but I'm going to get there this time!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Glad to see you kittycat! Hang in there, self-forgiveness is not easy for many of us. Be gentle with yourself. (((HUGS)))

FP, seriously, you find the best pics!

I made it through day 7. Barely. Thought about drinking. But distracted myself by visiting the court where I used to appear daily and chatted with the clerks and judge and then did a couple errands then got my butt to the gym. And now i feel pretty good except for the major snacking I did. Like I was replacing the compulsion to drink with a bag of goldfish. Guess it could be worse.

It's chilly here and am curled up watching tv and reading and cuddling the husband. Did not make it to a meeting tonight. Can't wait to go to bed early and get some extra sleep. Happy Friday, all!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:39 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Dang it! I missed posting yesterday, but it is just after midnight EST, and today is day 18 for me. I feel GREAT.

Jeni--My goodness, how proud I am of you for 5 months.....as much as you feel you struggle, I see you getting stronger in ways you might not see. You are now my inspiration just as I was once for you! Congratulations and you keep it up.

Tanja, 90 days is a HUGE accomplishment as well. I am very very proud of you. I always love your comments and you are an inspiration for me as well.

I just love our crew. Speaking of, anyone heard from crewisms in a while?

This is the FL/FA weekend and people are just out of their minds here in Florida. The partying is just crazy. I cannot imagine the hangovers tomorrow and Sunday. I do not envy!

More tomorrow (today). Time for bed and a sober night's rest. Tough week work-wise but very easy week for me sober-wise. I wonder why some weeks are so easy and others are biting the nails to the quick?

Goodnight everyone and I will check in later today!
Big hugs all around,
lee
Old 10-26-2012, 10:40 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Always lovely to hear from you Lee. You are a very important part of my recovery, I guess because we started out together in march, and shared those very early agonising weeks.
It helps to look back on that. Yes, although I struggle sometimes, I'm a million miles away from that now. And I'm never going back!!
Will post more later as its early and I'm still in bed a bit bleary eyed.

Today I'm going to relax-no school work. It is absolutely banned!!xx
Old 10-27-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Thank you Jeni. I always think of you fondly as well, and I monitor your progress as a barometer for my own. Your posts are always so kind and from the heart. Yesterday was my first teacher planning day of the year when grades were due, so the year is already 1/4 of the way done for the 2012-2013 school year. Hard to believe. I am blessed with really smart and caring students this year, and that makes all the difference. I am also blessed with working in one of the best schools in my area as well.

Today is a very significant day for me. My first attempt to be alcohol free was March 26, 2012. The very next day, March 27th, I also quit my 5 year daily addiction to Vicodin. In this area I have not faltered. I have now been clean for 7 months from Vicodin and it will take something major like surgery for me to EVER take another pain pill again. I am super proud of this accomplishment and rarely give myself credit for it since I have messed up since then with alcohol. So 7 months for that!!

I feel very strong this morning on day 18 and feel like I have a huge toolbox of strategies and lessons learned since I really got serious on May 2nd to get sober from alcohol. I see good things in my future with this and I truly see myself making an enormous effort to remain free of alcohol for the rest of my life. For perhaps the first time I am really taking alcohol off the table as a viable option to relieve stress or to derive pleasure. It has cost me only pain, and I am ready to finally let go and live a truly sober life.

Thank you to everyone on here. I am going to check in daily because, for me, this thread and all of you keep me strong and able to be the man and father/husband that I know I can be.
All the best,
Lee
Old 10-27-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

Kitty - I am your partner in watching Dr. Drew! I try to watch anything that is addiction related on tv. I watch intervention as well. The national geographic channel has a series on drug addiction and alcohol addiction. Unfortunately, I just missed a segment on the devastation that alcoholism causes. I think it is important to use any tools we can to remind ourselves of the consequences of our disease and hopefully pick up some useful tips.

Lilac - Congratulations on one week sober I am so proud of you! Distraction is a good tool to redirect your brain towards more positive activities and thinking. I know all too well about major snacking! It is understandable. We are trying to find other pleasure seeking activities to replace alcohol.

Jeni - I am so glad that you have a week off to enjoy yourself. Relaxation is so important for balance in our lives.

Lee - Congratulations on 7 months of sobriety from vicodin7 It is astounding that you are working on two addictions simultaneously. You should be enormously proud of yourself! I know for me that alcohol too caused me only pain. I can honestly say I have NO happy memories of drinking. I am interested - what tools will you be using in your huge toolbox? The biggest resources for me are my sponsor and support network, meetings, prayer, SR and working my sobriety every day. You sound like you are in great place

My sponsor picked me up yesterday and we went and had dinner with her other sponsee. This sponsee is my friend and introduced me to my sponsor. My friend gave me a lovely card and a little coin with a heart on one side and a saying on the other side that said "My heart is in my recovery". I think that means more to me than an AA chip. I have watched this young woman work fiercely towards her recovery. She attends at least two meetings a day and sometimes three meetings! If times get tough - I know I can count on her for loving support. I have't had friends for quite some time due to my alcoholism. So this new friendship is such a gift. A gift I would never have received if I hadn't been sober!

I did pick up my three month chip at the meeting. Unfortunately, the inner critic in me sneered at just three months of sobriety. The fact of the matter is that I need to work on that negativity. Three months is a significant accomplishment and I am very grateful to be sober today!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week-end
Old 10-27-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday to everyone.

Kitty, the longer you stay sober and working on your recovery, the further away you move from 'the drunk girl at the bar'. She will become a distant memory as you continue to grow. Your post triggered a memory for me. Passed out drunk outside a pub having moved to blackout stage. I was picked up and taken to hospital as I was bleeding. Apparently I was swearing at everyone and rude to the doctor who stitched me up. It became a bit of a joke amongst my old drinking crowd, but it is just so humiliating to think of now. I can't change what I did or how I behaved (and there are worse stories, things I can't even begin to admit to myself let alone anyone else!), but I can change my future. I can learn to become the person I want to be, the person I deserve to be. Time to move forward my friend xx

Tanja, you are sounding stronger every day. And a 90 day chip is bloody awesome and thoroughly well deserved. Read back over some of your old posts from a few months ago.....you have come such a long long way!!xx

A cold, wet day here. I'm relaxing, gathering my thoughts. Out with some friends tonight. Normal drinkers and really good company. I haven't told them about my alcoholism, but I probably could if I was brave enough. I've always enjoyed their company, but more so now that my mind has stopped obsessing about alcohol. Their moderate drinking used to frustrate me and ruined many an evening as I used to leave early so I could get home and drink at my normal speed (chucking it down my throat speed). I just couldn't cope with their couple of glasses of wine maybe approach to drinking. But now it's a blessing, and I can relax and just listen and chat and be a part of things. What freedom!

Lots of love to you all xxx
Old 10-27-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Out with some friends tonight. Normal drinkers and really good company. I haven't told them about my alcoholism, but I probably could if I was brave enough. I've always enjoyed their company, but more so now that my mind has stopped obsessing about alcohol. Their moderate drinking used to frustrate me and ruined many an evening as I used to leave early so I could get home and drink at my normal speed (chucking it down my throat speed). I just couldn't cope with their couple of glasses of wine maybe approach to drinking. But now it's a blessing, and I can relax and just listen and chat and be a part of things. What freedom!
Jeni, I love this! It has been happening with me too and it is so nice to be out and having real conversations, not thinking about how fast I can get my bottle of tequila when I leave. It was difficult when I first quit and thought it was so unfair I could no longer drink. Now I am just glad I no longer drink because I am really present. I think it's awesome that we are now working on our lives rather than cleaning up the daily messes our drinking created.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OneLessLonely View Post
Is anyone else getting nervous about holidays? Is it always gonna be something with me? I feel like I was doing so well the first few months. Then this house stuff happened and now I'm projecting too much and too far into the future.
YES! I think it is a good time to start thinking about it ahead of time and making ourselves some plans. I have our family get together this thanksgiving up in Amelia Island. Last year quite a few of us were trashed every night. That will be the roughest holiday for me, so kinda nervous. I hope the nerves are a good thing and will keep me ready to do battle with "it" if it decides to show up (talking about the AV). But yeah, I feel the uneasiness and I'm trying to stay busy, well don't even need to try, with the new diet exercise routine, work and getting out doing more, I hardly have any time left.

Speaking of which, gotta get ready for my shift.
Have a good weekend Mayans.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Normally I would be 26 sheets to the wind on the FL-GA football day....today? NOT! Feels weird. Feels good. Feels right. No regrets today or tomorrow. (But I still get to eat all of the amazing grilled food).
Old 10-27-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a really useful link for the holidays:

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

D
Old 10-27-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I'm just back from my friends. A lovely evening. One of them cooked a meal. A shaky moment initially when she automatically handed me a glass of wine and I had to think double quick of an excuse to turn it down.
I wish I had the courage to be honest. I'm sure they would have accepted it but there's just a nagging worry that they would judge me and see me in a different light, so I made an excuse of having stomach problems which is true but not the whole truth.
We just spent the evening chatting. I talked a lot about work and the stress and my insomnia. They listened and gave me some good advice. They shared their problems, and I tried to help them.
They only had a glass of wine each and moved onto coffee. I used to find this totally mystifying but I realise now just how warped my thinking was.
We talked books and kids and men and the usual stuff women chat about I guess. It just felt totally relaxing. No drama or overly emotional outbursts.
This is my new life.
And I like it very much.

Lots of love to you all xxx