Notices

Class of May 2012 part 13

Old 10-23-2012, 12:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm with you Lilac. Am sitting at my desk having had 2 hours of sleep. Feeling completely strung out! It is indeed this type of feeling, this desperation for sleep that makes me want to do something, anything to reach oblivion. It is beyond me how to deal with this. I've always been a poor sleeper, prone to nightmares and I understand where that stems from, but it has never been as bad for as long.
Still, smile in place, will get through this day as well as I can!!

Lots of love to you. Don't drink on this. You can do it xxx
Old 10-23-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day 14! I remember back in May my day 14 was amazing and for some reason I feel that exact same resolve now. I feel really good guys. I am not sure what made me fall off the wagon so badly after doing so well, but I have a lid on it now and I am really taking off now. I have had TONS of really cool, vivid dreams. My sleep is so much deeper and better. I am also having one of the best work years of my life. I have so much to be thankful for. My wife is so proud of me for giving this another shot. I will NOT fail. I have not felt this strong since early May. Let's DO it! Everyone have a great, strong, and sober Tuesday.

FP--Thanks for your CONTINUED support to everyone. You truly are the backbone to our May group!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your two weeks Lee
D
Old 10-23-2012, 04:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good morning, May boaters!

Day 17.

Another quick one, gotta run!

Lilac, please don't give up! 10 mg melatonin seems like a lot. I seem to recal 5 mg being the max safe dose. I still occasionally take ambien and it helped me get through some of the lack of sleep. Other times I take an afternoon snooze.

Lee, great going!

Kitty, good to hear from you!

Jeni, wish you could get some sleep, too!

OLL, how are you surviving the house stuff?

FP, sorry you are not up to par yet but it hasn't been that long. Hang in there and feel better soon!,,

(((hugs))) to all.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

FP, it was pretty chilly so I was sitting in my car with the windows rolled down and my music playing through my phone. I went to the beach to have some nice scenery not so much to go swimming or get a tan. Couldn't be at my house but couldn't check in to the hotel til later.
Just heading off to work now from the hotel. Only working two days this week. The free breakfast was yummy so that's good. In general I'm just not very company right now. Poor hubby. I'd say I'll be happy when November is here but that means holidays are afoot and I'm not looking forward to those either. I have to cut the negativity crap out.
Grats lee on two weeks and saskia on 17 days. Feels like there's a wave of strength from you guys right now and were all gonna ride it with you!
Lilac and jeni I'm so sorry for your troubles. Lilac mentioned that exercise helps her. Even a 10 minute walk around the block might do the trick jeni. Have you given a shot yet?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I remember you're in an area where the lunch time meetings don't work for you either...but did you ever explore any other options for support Lilac - SMART, RR etc?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

If the meetings aren't working for you, then they're not - find something else.

But do make sure you're working on valid reasoning first...

It's possible for example that your insomnia is just the normal withdrawal/early recovery stuff most of us have to deal with...I never got much sleep in week on no matter what time I went to bed.

Make sure your addiction isn't screwing with you.

Many's the time I gave up things that were good for me...and later realised I did it because my addiction liked it that way.

I was a puppet.

D
As always, good advice Dee. This time I refuse to give up on meetings at this point because I REALLY need the support of people. Not that I don't get that here on SR, but I need to learn to rely on in-person human contact and to ask for help and receive guidance. Most people get that from friends or family. My family gave me screwy guidance growing up, which is part of why my thinking and behavior is so messed up. And I no longer have any real friends because I gave up the drinking buddies and never replaced them. I do have my husband, but I recognize the need for other people to lean on in my life.
And, like it or not, the women who attend the 8pm group here have good, stable, happy sobriety and I can learn a lot from them.

So, while I have explored the alternatives like RR and SMART, and think they may be a better fit for me in many respects, I need to learn how to be part of the human race and AA is the only gig with F2F groups here. That said, I don't think meetings and AA alone can keep me sober. AVRT is what I plan to use to deal with committing to sobriety. AA is for learning how to live.

Morning, all! I actually feel ok in spite of sleeping a mere 5 hours last night. Sorry for my frustrating rant...I'm a little embarrassed. I guess this time around (and there've been many), difficulty sleeping is part of my withdrawal, along with the zits. Could be much much worse.

Starting day 4. Love my May Boaters!

Congrats to LEE on 2 weeks!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

No reason to feel embarrassed, Lilac! This is an ongoing challenge for many of us. As someone noted, there wouldn't be a need for SR if it were easy. I don't know if I'll make it this time or not. It's a challenge for the longer term but I figure that any day without a drink is a good day! It's definitely not always easy. I hope you will hang in there and get through the worst of the cravings and other side effects. I'll be thinking of you! (((hugs)))
Old 10-23-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi All, Just a quick check in. Had a lovely weekend in San Francisco, a long day of travel home yesterday, and today I'm back to the grindstone. I can't really complain about having an empty fridge and needing to grocery shop etc. after work tonight, but that won't stop me from doing so

No real news to report. Relaxed, have a short work week now (tomorrow's Wednesday!) and then taking a river trip this weekend. Life is good.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Lilac - I could feel the pain in your insomnia post! I am so glad that you are feeling better. Like Jeni I have had sleep issues for the past 10 years and it has gotten pretty bad since I retired. It could be a symptom of PAWs or simply hereditary in my case. I happen to need a fair amount of sleep and cannot even imagine functioning on 2 hours of sleep. I get horrible headaches and feel like I am losing my mind with insomnia. It is a huge trigger to drink. I am so impressed with both you and Jeni for riding it out. It has taken me about 3 months for my sleep to improve where most days I actually feel human. So, know you are not alone and it really does get better

Congratulations Lee on 14 days

Sas - Congratulations on 17 days Don't even doubt that you CAN accomplish sobriety. I have every confidence that you will succeed.

Wishing everyone a happy Tuesday!
Old 10-23-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Day 94/19 draws to a close and much better than it started. My head has, as I said in both the lunchtime NA meeting and the evening AA meeting, gone completely. Or rather it had. When the AV starts singing, it's never a good sign. Nearly as bad as when, rather than calling on my higher power, I... called on something else. I can't stand this whole wanting to when there's nothing I can do about it. Because sooner or later I'll be in a position where I can. And the frustration is building.
But at the moment, my head is ok.

lilac - hope the insomnia gets better. It's a shame that your meetings are at a time when you really need to be getting ready for bed. Congrats on 4 days.

Jeni - I've had times when I couldn't sleep. Times when I've laid awake for hours trying to get to sleep, and times when I'd wake up dozens of times in the night for just long enough to look at the clock. I've had some of the craziest dreams, but oddly enough, not nightmares. Even some of the ones where I've been surrounded by aliens or demons have been... upbeat, because I didn't feel hopeless. No, I only felt hopeless when I was awake...

Leemzer - congrats on 14 days.

Saskia - glad to hear from you.

OneLessLonely - there's nothing better than being on a beach at this time of year. It's quiet and you can relax and just watch the waves go in and out.

Deserto - glad you're having a relaxing time, hope the trip goes well.

As for me, I want to get back to a good place again. Want to get back to a place where I wholeheartedly want recovery. Because at the moment, there's part of me that wants to give in. And while she's there the AV has a way in. I guess it's a case of knowing that I have to either give myself fully to getting better, or let go and take my chances. I didn't think I was sitting on the fence like this. But there's something wrong, and I don't know what it is.

Sleep well folks, and good night. It'll soon be tomorrow, and that's a fresh start. May you awake refreshed, with all your problems behind you.
Love and Hugs to you all.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone on my 14th day. I feel like I did back in May...I really think I can do this this time (again). I have learned a lot and will not slip when I get a lot of days under my belt. If nothing else I have learned that.

hang in there everyone!!! Life is, as Deserto said, GOOD!
Lee
Old 10-23-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Em, is it possible that by personalizing your AV as "Catharine" that you are giving her more power than necessary? From what I've read, it seems like in order to manage the beast, it's best to think of it as "it" rather than he or she and that the best thing is to avoid engaging with the AV. That's my naive take on it. It seems to me that personalizing it for me would put me into a space where I would be able to identify with her and that might make it harder. Just a thought .....
Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

It's 2a.m and I'm awake. As usual.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Morning all. Got 3 days at work then a week off. Am counting the days!

I'm going to take the positives from the past few days and congratulate myself that I have managed to deal with a presentation to the school governors, interviews with the parents which were challenging, doing the rest of my job with virtually no sleep and I STILL HAVEN'T DRUNK!!!

I've got 3 more days at work which should be marginally less fraught and then I've got a week off.

Time to re-fuel. Look at what's causing this insomnia, and rest.

Sorry I haven't been much support to you all lately. Promise to be back on form real soon xxxx
Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes we get to send the love out and sometimes we need to take it in Jeni...

D
Old 10-24-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Jeni,
If you might remember, I have insomnia too. Mine does run in cycles, though, so I am not tormented by it every day. I have a cycle it seems right after Christmas, in January or so, and one during the summer. My doctor and I have worked and worked on it, and I have to take Lunesta to be able to sleep. Maybe you should really ask your doctor? I teach also, and I just cannot do it without rest. We have a mentally fatiguing job.

Today is day 15 for me. I have been waking up earlier this year to get to work earlier. I get to work about 45 minutes earlier than I did last year, and it has really made a difference. I love having quiet time to collect myself, be thankful and count my blessings a bit more, and more thoroughly plan for my day. It has really worked. I feel much better doing this. I am more tired at the end of the day, but I allow myself a nap if I need one.

I am doing all of the things I did before to help myself feel better. I am really taking care of myself, exercising again, sleeping right, eating right, taking care of my skin, getting fresh air and getting chores done on the weekend, and cooking out again with the family. Truth is, I am just realizing that I am happier sober. I don't know what causes me to forget that at times, but moments like this make me realize that drinking has run its course for me. No more romanticizing it. And I have to own up to the fact that I am placing myself in those miserable spots when I do decide to drink.

Have a great day today, everyone. Thoughts of strength going out to each and every one of you!
Lee
Old 10-24-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Day 95/20 begins with baking apple pies. It looks like not too bad a day today. My head is in not too bad a place today. Not brilliant, but not bad. Hopefully have a quiet day today, maybe do one last journal entry for the game on Saturday. Other than that... not much to say.

Saskia - you know, that sounds familiar, somehow. And I think you're probably right. Part of it is me thinking that 'everything should have a name'.

Jeni - sorry to hear that your insomnia is still with you. Hopefully your week off will give you a good chance to recharge, get properly grounded.

Leemzer - congrats on 15 days. And yes, self care is important. Something that's very easy to forget.

Have a good day folks. Be gentle with yourselves. And thanks to you all for being here.
Love and Hugs to you all.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good morning, boaters!

Day 1.

Yesterday was a very rough day and I am working on ideas for what to add (or subtract) from my life next. I work with my trainer at the gym today (haven't met him yet) so that will be a good thing for me. More than I can really afford but I think I probably also can't afford not to do this. My short trip to the coast will be good and I need to remember why I retired from work and think about dumping a few of the too many things I've taken on (as usual). The earth will keep on spinning even if I stop turning the crank.

Jeni, I hope you get a really good break next week! You sound like you are in major need of some R&R (at my old yoga retreat, we used to call it" retreat and renewal").

Lee, glad to hear you are doing so well. I find your post especially inspiring today!

Em, yum! Apple pies! Can you teleport a piece across the Atlantic! I hope the rest of your quiet day goes well.

OLL, hope the house stuff is going well. That must be incredibly stressful!

Deserto, Tanja, good to hear from you both!

FP, I hope you are ok. Recovery from such a major surgery can be bumpy.

Have a good day, all!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Morning All!

Saskia, I'm sorry you're back to day 1. But glad you're still here and considering what to add/subtract. I know you will do it!

Jeni, I am sorry about the insomnia. It is awful, isn't it? So glad you have a week off coming up!

Lee way to go on 15 days! Sounds like you are really enjoying sobriety!

Em, I am going to day dream about apple pies.

To everyone else I missed: glad you're all here!

Day 5 today. I slept last night. What a relief. I also got to the 8pm meeting last night. There were 15 people there! For this town, that's a really big meeting. I really really didn't want to go because I just wanted to be in bed by 9pm. But I'm glad I went. Heard some really great stuff and realized that those people "have what I want."

Gotta go get ready for work!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Good Wednesday evening, my beloved boaters! Day 165 for this elephant. Made the decision to continue my post-op recovery and take the rest of the week off as well. So, I went for a long walk along the ocean boardwalk today for some much-needed exercise and strength building. Felt good to get plenty of fresh salty air into my smoke-free lungs.

Met up with an on-shore fisherman toting his pole, wearing hip waders, and starting his hours-long task of catching a small haul. 5pm on an overcast day, he’s wearing dark sunglasses, and doing the oh-so-familiar weaving and bobbing walk. I say a cheerful, “Good luck today,” at his fishing endeavor. He returns with a sarcastic and snarly, “Yeah, right. I’ll need all the luck I can get.” We continue on in opposite directions and as I look back briefly, he has his thermos cup of feel-good in his hand. Drunk fishing; Never tried it, but can’t imagine that it helps your game.

Teacher Jeni: I hope you manage to get a good sleep soon. Insomnia can take such a toll on your health. Terrific that you’ve got a week off coming up. Well-deserved for sure. Big hugs to you.

Dee: Thanks for the link on sleeping tips. “Sometimes we get to send the love out and sometimes we need to take it in Jeni...” Love this advice!

Lilac: Day 5 for you, excellent! Hang in there with your sobriety, classmate. These early days can be the hardest, but once you get through them the urges tend to become much less. We’re all here with you for support. “Hey, FP: I know the song to go with the pics. "Southbound Pachyderm," by Primus.” Awesome! Hadn’t seen that claymation-type video for years.

KittyCat: Day 13 for you today? Hope all is well, girlfriend. Thank you for your check-in on Monday.

Bionic Lee: Go, go, go with your 15 days, sober mate! Half a month for you! Halfway to a special elephant, too. Thank you for your daily check-ins, good buddy. “I am really taking care of myself…” This is a wonderful statement. Something for all of us to accomplish.

Saskia: I think last time it was about the two-week mark before you went back to day 1, too? Something to keep in mind when you get another two weeks under your sober belt. Perhaps that’s when your triggers start kicking in. Keep at it, iPad G-ma. We're all pulling for you!

OneLess: I hear ya on the chilly beach days. I always bundle up before I go for a walk this time of year. Sometimes I just drive along the ocean if it’s too cold. How is everything going with the asbestos removal and your hotel stay?

Dweller: “No real news to report.” Excuuuuuuse me? You’re away from us for days, out in San Fran with a ton of stuff to do and see, great recommendations from boaters on your trip, a big get-away for you together with your wife, and all you can say is, “…lovely weekend… no news…” ??!! I want some details, poem mate, details! What did you and the Mrs. do out there? Glad you arrived home safe and sound.

Tanja: Always wonderful to see your posts. Excellent that you’ve managed to beat insomnia. My sleep is much sounder now that I’m sober and smoke-free, too.

Emily: You’re doing great in your double-quit! Keep at it, classmate, and do not give in to your urges. It simply isn’t worth it. Remember how difficult it is to crawl back out of a relapse. It is so much easier to just abstain than to recover from drinking/drugging. Send one of those apple pies to Mammoth while you’re baking a few. Big hugs to you.

Feeling pretty good today, I’m happy to report... finally. Looking forward to getting back to work on Monday and being productive again. Last I checked, my work e-mail had 560 waiting to be read, though. Sheesh. Wishing everyone sober strength, good health, and a great night’s sleep. Love and hugs to all.

FYI, with a shout-out to Lilac , in case you’re curious:
Primus - Southbound Pachyderm - YouTube