Notices

Class Of October 2012 Part 3

Old 10-22-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Just checking in on day 18. Had a rough night last night, felt really tired - well, more like exhausted, and the AV was begging me to sort her out. Not that I was in any position to do that at 9pm on a Sunday night. Things are better today. And that's all I can do, take things on a day to day basis.

To everyone who's coming back from a slip. First, welcome back. Second, it's not worth beating yourselves up over. Hurting yourself because you hurt yourself... is a dangerous thing to do. Third, what have you learnt from the experience? I know that every slip I've had has taught me something. Even if it should have been obvious. Take from it what you can learn, and leave the rest in the past.

Love and Hugs to you all.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
In 2 minds this morning. Feeling like a total and utter failure,a hypocrite,waste of space.

Yesterday at the party I was totally dedicated to not drinking. Then a craving appeared-I ignored it, tried to let it pass,left the room, ate,drank a soft drink but it would not pass.thought I was going mad-oh just have one, so I did. turned into 2 bottles.

what the hell is wrong with me. I was feeling so great. Didn't really get many cravings but when I do I just seem unable to deal with them.Feel like such a failure-can't even bring myself to write anymore
You are not a failure you are an alcoholic. Hopefully you learned what your limitations are. One slip does not mean you failed it just means you educated yourself.

For myself I could not do drinking situations for almost 2 years. I knew if I got in the ring with king alcohol I was going to get my butt handed to me. Early in sobriety I tried but I came very very close to drinking so I just avoided any place where I could drink. Resturants were OK only because the people I went with knew of my struggles with alcohol.

Today I still avoid drinking situations but I can tolerate them for a limited time
Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Day 22!! Three successful weekends in a row. Even attended my first sober college football game since I was a kid this past Saturday. I find myself getting bored easily, but that is something that I am sure I will be able to overcome.

Something I find interesting is that I don't crave the alcohol when I am around it (or around people consuming it) -- instead the desire comes when I am alone or, of course, when I am feeling depressed and anxious. But I am finding ways to busy myself and distract the addictive thoughts from overwhelming me.

OH and I found a Young Peoples AA Meeting that gets together on Saturday evenings -- so I am going to do my best to attend it this coming weekend. I am quite excited for it actually and want the week to fly.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
You are not a failure you are an alcoholic. Hopefully you learned what your limitations are. One slip does not mean you failed it just means you educated yourself.

For myself I could not do drinking situations for almost 2 years. I knew if I got in the ring with king alcohol I was going to get my butt handed to me. Early in sobriety I tried but I came very very close to drinking so I just avoided any place where I could drink. Resturants were OK only because the people I went with knew of my struggles with alcohol.

Today I still avoid drinking situations but I can tolerate them for a limited time
Thanks MIR -you are right. Not sure why it has taken me 10 months and 3 lapses to actually realize that people drinking my favourite drink makes me want to drink too-it's not a difficult concept.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Kopfan, welcome.

Jhe, thank you, but I deserve no congratulations. Had to dump the balance of a bottle this morning. And the morning before as well. I don't like to announce my lapses, but don't want to mislead anyone either. I AM dedicated to staying in this class, so I've put it down again.

ugh
ah sorry to hear that Ob.Weekends seem to be a big trigger for you. Hope you aren't being too hard on yourself though-pick yourself up and start again.mybe try one day at a time- don't think Friday or Sat are weekend days-it's just another day-A continuation of your sober week.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Great to see so many positive and supportive posts to those of us who slipped

Congrats to Krispy,Black,Emily,Lil, Ladybone,Saskia,Falling, Dan& everyone else hitting milestones
Old 10-22-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

So I just sent a 3 page letter to my immediate family. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I stared at the send button for about 5 minutes, and finally just said... it is now or never. Not sure of what the outcome will be... but I didn't see any other option.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Germanos View Post
So I just sent a 3 page letter to my immediate family. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I stared at the send button for about 5 minutes, and finally just said... it is now or never. Not sure of what the outcome will be... but I didn't see any other option.
That takes a lot of courage. I have expressed my desire to stop drinking to my mother, but I don't think she really grasps the extent of it -- especially being that she was most likely unaware of my problem to begin with.

Good on you, and I am sure it will turn out positive in the long run since you no longer have such a heavy weight on your shoulders from keeping it to yourself.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilac0721 View Post
Delilah, I totally understand your love of running/walking in the rain because it's a nice change of pace! I live in SW CO, where it rarely rains or snows. Sometimes love a run on a gray wet day!
I am glad I am not the only one! Today it is slightly gloomy, but still not fall weather!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilgolden73 View Post
Working hard on day 12!! That evil inner voice says blah blah blah...I tell him to shut up...this is my world now...yay me....
Cast a spell on him ill golden!! I am glad to be in double digits with you. Have a great day!!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Kza

1 week sober in 6 hours!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Day 9.

The weekend was never ending.
I was actually glad to get back to work this morning.
5pm is getting close.
I feel very edgy and allert.

I will stay strong.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hey folks. Day 3 done. Stinking headache all day, major sugar cravings (am going to get fat if I don't cut down the energy drinks and cake!) and properly grumpy but no desire to drink hurrah! Hope everyone's hanging in there x
Old 10-22-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, I'm checking in before I go to bed. Day 25 living without booze, keeping the faith.

I have an appointment tommorrow morning at a drug and alcohol addiction centre, I don't quite know what to expect, the website is a little vague and I was drinking pretty heavily when I filled in the paperwork four months ago.

I'm not a great at receiving help, but I'm willing to go with an open mind. Let's see what happens.

I see some new faces, welcome to you all. Kopfan, can I ask what those there books you be a reading?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Evening all, glad folks are posting regardless of where they are in sobriety. Its day 11 winding down. I am glad for another day of sobriety. I actually am feeling a bit more normal. I have noticed today that I am a little more anxious than in days past. So, decaf coffee, a good meal, and hopefully a good nights sleep is in order.
I went to another meeting today. Noon works well for me as I am currently not working due to operations and treatment I am undergoing this summer/fall. For me, it helps to be face to face with other drunks no matter how much time they have. We are all in this to do one thing, and that is to stop drinking.
I find the same similarities here in the posts that I hear in the rooms. I am a graden variety drunk just like everyone else. Nothing special, I drank, got drunk, fell down, passed out, and told myself over and over that I could drink again and not repeat what happened the week before, day before, etc...... you know how that went!! I imagine some of you all shaking your heads with a yes. LOL.
Well, I am rambling. blah blah blah. Thanks for listening.Hope everyone has a good night and sleep or morning and day depending on where you are in the world.
Hold onto your hat, its gonna be a wild ride.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I can't believe this is my 15th day.

Today I saw a personal trainer and he told me that I should loose 10 pounds and it made me so upset. After taking smoking and drinking out of my life I have to cut out carbs???? WTF? Ok, still a bit angry.

I also realized the reason I am craving sugar as of late. It's the lack of alcohol = sugar that I usually have. So I will get fat. I don't care.

However I had less smoking cravings today and said no to lunch with my former drinking buddy.

I hope everyone is feeling strong and loved tonight.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

So it's clear that this is my homeroom class because I come to it last. I have a number of threads bookmarked and always read the rest of them first and come here after the rest... save the best for last.

I have stories and thoughts galore, but find myself mired in my own thoughts and recalcitrance, (Is that a word?) I would like very much to find a way to balance this with appropriate disclosure.

Y'all are fabulous. Keep on keeping on.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Nice work on another day sober, Octsoberites!

Hey Ladybone, nice job going to see a personal trainer. Don't worry about 10lbs. You'll be amazed at how easily weight comes off without booze (I keep forgetting about that, yet wonder why I am not fitting into most of my wardrobe...)To curb carb/sugar cravings, up your protein intake. I've found that also does wonders for my mood, skin, etc.

Obladi: recalcitrance is likely the right word. It is the trait of being disobedient or resisting authority. I'm totally with you. I hate authority, yet desperately need other people's guidance. Ugh. You know I always think of the Beatles when I see your screen name.

Made it through day 3. Back to work. Kept busy, but didn't go nuts. Glad my contract is only for 30 hours a week. Got to the gym. Not a great workout, but I;m sure it'll help me sleep better tonight. Called the woman from the 8pm AA group per her directions. Guess I've got me a sponsor - let's see how long I last this time. I sure do hate people telling me what to do, though I have few friends and really haven't a clue about what to do in some seemingly basic areas of life. Glad that group only meets 3 nights a week. It's just after 7pm and I'd go crazy if I had to leave the house again.

Goodnight, all.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

First Day of Sobriety

Hi Everyone,

I'm biting the bullet and doing the 30 days. (I think this is the correct forum to post on for October?) I have tried before but I have always been alone at doing it. Ive been drinking for 14 years. I work as a healthcare worker and seeing so many lives been destroyed by alcohol scares me because I get a glimpse of what will happen to me if I dont change. I plan to post everday about my journey over the next 30 days and may post more or go on chat when I feel the urge. I'm scared. Thank- you all for your support.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the thread ineedanickname

D