# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class Of October 2012 Part 3

we continue from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-20.html

D
Old 10-20-2012, 03:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 10 and ITCHING like crazy!! Anyone else?

I haven't had any problems or other symptoms other than an insane itch that started on day 8 of alcohol withdrawl. It started just a little then a few hours later I was scratching all over. Red itchy hives on my abdomen, backs of knees, palms of hands, eyelids, chest, etc. It seems to flit about...activating in one area while another subsides. Then for no reason new areas develop and other areas of itching stop, only to start again later.

I have eaten nothing new or different, taken no new medications, changed any of my personal products or laundry soap. After researching online, it appears that this can be related to alcohol withdrawl, although some people actually itch "while" drinking. There are those that have started drinking again because they can't stand the itch and it goes away only if they have a drink.

Anyone else itching???? Please, I could use some input. I'm not going to re-start the drinking process just because I'm itching, but it would help to know if anyone else here is experiencing this.

**A side note: I'm doing a cold-turkey detox at home, so this is leaving me fully aware of all the detox symptoms. Day 10 and so far this is the only thing going on. No shakes, sweating, anxiety, stomach sickness....nothing. Just severe ITCHING!!
Old 10-20-2012, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had some slight itching but nothing unbearable. It was gone in a few days tho.

If it's really worrying you, a Dr's opinion might be best.

Otherwise, maybe send a PM to our of our members Itchy - as the name suggests, he had some experience with itching.

D
Old 10-20-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

On the subject of friends, you'll begin to notice the real ones will not push the issue and will respect your choice to not have a drink.
There won't be any "come on ya wimp do this shot with us, what's wrong with you??? What does your husband do for a living????"
Old 10-20-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Standing firm.

I'm going to a wedding reception this evening. Open bar. Guess who won't be sipping on poison tonight?? Me!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's a glorious, sunny autumn afternoon here today in the south west coast of England. I'm going to take a walk through the woods, up over the rolling green fields and down to the rocky beaches.

Welcome to the group Kam, you could post your intro on the main thread too, you can never have too much support. You will certainly find lots here and so you are definately not alone. Stay close.

JHE, I hope the party goes well.

Redviper, RecklessEric
Old 10-20-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good morning, Oct-sober mates!

Day 14. Woo-hoo!

Welcome, Kam! There's always room for one more and there's usually someone around to be supportive. We have all gone or are going throuh similar trials and tribulations so no reason to feel shame here. IMHO, shame can get in the way of healing and doing the things we know we need to do. I think I'm the queen of "re-dos" from May until now. Very embarrassing at first but now I realize i'm not alone and I'm focusing my energies on staying sober and working on my issues. So when any of us slip (and some do so more than others) the very best thing you can do is to come right back and post. If you can post when you feel the urge but haven't had any yet, that seems to make a huge difference. I haven't gotten there yet but hope to. 14 days is my longest sober stretch since May.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 20 and it has been a trying time. But I am worth it. I want to see what 30 days feels like. If I can make it to four months it will be my longest time sober in 15 years. I slipped after four months and never tried again until now. All in this time.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Sascia, Redviper, congrats on your achievements!

My sober Saturday is almost over and it's been a beautiful day. I am like myself again.

My best wishes to all.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

DAY 12. Went out to dinner last night it was ok had sparkling water and hubby had few beers. I must say I was ok for the first hour or so and then I got bored so we left soon after.

I was thinking today I could have a glass of wine with my dinner Christmas day (Imagine 2 months away) this voice does not let up, always trying to fool us. Have been out all day today and going out again now to visit family can't stay about the house at weekends. All my drinking was done in the house so just need to get out.
Welcome Kam.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the welcomes guys! Am glad I'm here :-)
Old 10-20-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 6 and feeling great. Made it through my first sober Friday night in who knows how long. And it was great to wake up well rested, no hangover, no regrets, remembering the night before, knowing that I didnt drive anywhere drunk. I did have a slight panic attack this morning as I headed out to do my errands as instead of a cup of coffee in the morning I used to have a nice tall drink and basically be drunk before I ever left the house. It felt so good to be out of the house doing normal things like going to Target, etc. while sober.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Redviper, if I make it to 4 months, it will be the longest I have gone without a drink since I was 18. Not that I've been drinking continually since then, there's been times when I've stayed away from it. Usually because I was trying to get in some kind of shape. Other than round. Congrats on 20 days.

Saskia - congrats on 14 days.

Kam - welcome to the Octsober group. [I like that word, and wish I'd come up with it]

As for me, I've had a good game session this afternoon. Although I need to stop having my character's being so... dumb. But other than that, it's been a good day. Home made burgers are a-cookin' so I'll be getting some food in me. I've been too long without food, because it's expensive to eat where the game is. That sets my brain off, because it associates an empty stomach - at least a certain kind of empty stomach - with codeine.
Still, Day 16, and I'm not giving in.

Love and Hugs to you all.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by risktheblossom View Post
I'm going to a wedding reception this evening. Open bar. Guess who won't be sipping on poison tonight?? Me!
Good luck and stay safe.
Thinking of you.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Originally Posted by MalkavianEmily View Post
Redviper, if I make it to 4 months, it will be the longest I have gone without a drink since I was 18. Not that I've been drinking continually since then, there's been times when I've stayed away from it. Usually because I was trying to get in some kind of shape. Other than round. Congrats on 20 days.

Saskia - congrats on 14 days.

Kam - welcome to the Octsober group. [I like that word, and wish I'd come up with it]

As for me, I've had a good game session this afternoon. Although I need to stop having my character's being so... dumb. But other than that, it's been a good day. Home made burgers are a-cookin' so I'll be getting some food in me. I've been too long without food, because it's expensive to eat where the game is. That sets my brain off, because it associates an empty stomach - at least a certain kind of empty stomach - with codeine.
Still, Day 16, and I'm not giving in.

Love and Hugs to you all.
Keep it up!!
I loved London when I was there. Looking back now, a sign of my excess was when I was in the White Horse and offered some people at the bar a shot - and they didn't know what a shot was.
I also had mini vodkas in my pockets that I would dole out to the cab drivers.
I was a real riot, for sure.
I'm certain I didn't do America proud in representing her!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A quick evening post. It sounds like lots of progress among our Oct-sobermates! I hope the rest of the weekend goes well for all!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Awesome to see all of the progress that everyone is making. I wish the best to our newcomers and those who are struggling.

Yesterday was the biggest challenge that I have faced since stopping 18 days ago. Played a few songs at an all-day outdoor music festival- the weather was unbelievable and a few cold ones were definitely calling my name. Made it through that and then to another party in the evening. Had quite a few people offer me drinks, but kept to the "I'm taking a break" line that I have been using. Definitely ate too much last night, but very happy to be able to enjoy a beautiful Sunday morning without a hangover. More big events the next 2 weekends, so I will have to stay diligent...

Hope that everyone is having a great weekend!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yesterday afternoon turned out to be ridiculously difficult for me.
Was sitting in the car outside the shops seriously contemplating buying a bottle.
Damn 'A' voice. It almost convinced me I was 'entitled to a relapse'... pfff.

Wasn't like the physical cravings from Week 1 either, was entirely mental.

Ended up managing to walk out with cheese, chocolate, lollies and turnips. But no alcohol.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

In 2 minds this morning. Feeling like a total and utter failure,a hypocrite,waste of space.

Yesterday at the party I was totally dedicated to not drinking. Then a craving appeared-I ignored it, tried to let it pass,left the room, ate,drank a soft drink but it would not pass.thought I was going mad-oh just have one, so I did. turned into 2 bottles.

what the hell is wrong with me. I was feeling so great. Didn't really get many cravings but when I do I just seem unable to deal with them.Feel like such a failure-can't even bring myself to write anymore
Old 10-21-2012, 12:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

dealing with cravings is a skill just like anything else JHE...have you tried urge surfing at all? or playing the tape through through the end?

Learning what are safe places to be and what is not is a skill too...sometimes I just had to say no thanks to invites...

or leave early - I think an escape plan is an absolute necessity fir all social events, just in case you get into trouble.

None of these things is beyond you, or anyone else here, to learn JHE...don't beat yourself up...use that energy positively...you can do this

Welcome back

D