Notices

Class Of October 2012 Part 3

Old 10-21-2012, 12:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, I do need learn about urge surfing again.Also, I don't think of the end result-I'm going to write down all the bad things about drinking and keep with me just in case

All 3 lapses have been in the same situation-tells me I should be avoiding them. Problem was it was at my house so I couldn't just leave. I have no intention of drinking again,just so disappointed in myself. Wasted energy though,as you say.Thanks again for your kind words
Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

please will you post the link for urge surfing-I can't seem to find it.thanks
Old 10-21-2012, 01:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

here you go

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 10-21-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good morning, Oct-sobermates!

Day 15.

JHE, good for you for coming right back here and posting! It's too easy to feel so embarrassed that some of us don't come back or don't come back right away. Slips are unfortunate but not at all uncommon.

It sounds like parties are something you might want to avoid at least for now. Dee always has great advice and it sounds like you are following up on his suggestions.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

thanks saskia-you are very kind.i am embarrassed,fear people will think 'oh here we go again' but i know staying away from sr leads to continued drinking

congrats on day 15-good on you and i hope you are feeling better

jhe
Old 10-21-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sunday morning brings day 10 here.
JHE, hang in there. Remember alcohol is cunning, baffling, and powerful. I, along with many of us here, have been through setbacks and lapses. The important thing is that you came back. I agree with Saskia and I am sure you do too.
It has been my experience that starting right back to day one is far better than just giving up. Getting sober is hard work. If it was easy this site might not even be here.
the last time I had 10 days strung together was in June. Even then I did not want to be sober. I had to due to 3 surgeries I had on my leg. As soon as I was allowed to drive, I went to the store, got my booze and drank. Even my diagnosis has had no impact on the power of the bottle for me. I knew deep down that I should not drink, but I was not willing to do the work. For whatever reason 10 days ago, I became willing again.
I do not feel super great yet, I have caught a bad cold as part of my detox. I even woke up in the middle of the night Friday thinking I had drank as my head was going to explode with pain. I look forward to today despite having the cold.
Thanks to all of the folks here at SR for the honesty and great advice. I hope I can continue to be a part of this great October group.
Be kind to yourselves.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Good Sunday, October mates!

Sascia, congrats on Day 15!

JHE, Oh, well, sometimes it happens. We are just humans. But you are back here, looking for a way out. And that what matters.

"It doesn’t matter how many times you fall; it’s the number of times you get back up again that count". Forgive yourself and forget. Beating yourself up does not work.

As for me, I am about to close down my Week 1. Yes, I've been with SR for seven days already, and I found so much support here! Thank you, guys, it is so much easier to fight this enemy when you are not alone and can share your emotions.

I woke up early and worked out for two hours in a gym - an hour of weight lifting, and an hour on a treadmill. My trainer set another challenge for me - I have to lose 5 kilos (I believe it's about 17 lbs) by the New Year to hit my target weight. So, apart from booze - no cookies, no ice cream, no pastry for me in the next two months).

I wonder, would I be able to manage all this?

I wish you all a great sober Sunday!
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey hey! Feeling much better after some solid sleep last night. Today the sun is shining, the temps will be perfect! Today is 20 days! I am blessed! I'm going to buy some pumpkins today and paint them up real cute before we carve them next week! It's going to be a great day! And a sober one. Now, I've got to tend to my oldest who appears to have the flu got Loy's to do today, lets hope I stay motivated all day! Xoxo best wishes to everyone!
  # 29 (permalink)  

thanks sophiedog. congrats on your 10 days-i hope you start to feel better soon-the time of year for colds/flu doesn't help does it.

wise words-I also hope to continue to be a part of October group. I am not going to keep going through this cycle.best of luck to all of us
Old 10-21-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Good morning, Octsober-ites!

I am back on Day 2. But I'm back. Went to an AA meeting last night. I've been in and out of those rooms in 3 different towns now over the past 4 years. This has got to stop. I was almost embarrassed to go to the meeting I attended last night because they are a small, tight-knit group, but there are three women (out of about 8-9 regular attendees) that have great, long-term sobriety. They were welcoming and spent some time talking to me after the meeting. I hate being up that late - that group meets 3 nights a week at 8pm, but think that I should hang with them more in spite of how late it is. I even think that - GASP - I'll call one of the women today.

My husband is supportive. He and I talked a bit last night about all the stuff that's been feeling overwhelming (stuff that is not overwhelming to a normal person). It felt good for him to listen to how I think and feel without judging me or belittling me, which many people in my past have done.

Happy sunday, everyone!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

welcome back lilac-i totally relate,back on day 1
Old 10-21-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 20 fallingtogether.
Enjoy your Sunday. Sounds like you have great stuff planned. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

jhe, don't give up. Take it as a hard learned lesson of how controlling alcohol can be. I remember all the many times I've tried quitting and every time I slipped I never even cared to know why. I just figured I was a failure. You are past that and are going to find out why and become a stronger person because of it. You will be better armed the next time you are in that position.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

thanks redviper, everyone is so kind and helping me feel less like a failure and more focused on using that energy to move forward.

how are things with you redviper? did the cravings pass?
Old 10-21-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi Guys, on day 13 two weeks tomorrow. I was invited to a wedding on 3rd of January and my first thought was oh good so I can have some wine Christmas day and again on the 3rd of Jan. I realize it is really and truly one day at a time. If we keep trying we will get there eventually I pray.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Day 21 and last night I dreamed I drank. I felt depressed, ashamed and then I woke up. So I still have cravings. This is the hardest thing I have ever done and I feel like giving up every day. It is only getting slightly easier every day. I worked on my project bicycle last night for hours trying to fight the cravings. I can't tell you when to expect the cravings to go away. I look forward to that day.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Welcome back Lilac. Very glad you are here. I too have gone back to AA this week. It is not for everyone and it is hard to raise your hand and say you are starting over. I have never been frowned upon in those rooms despite the 'in and out'. Its the picking yourself up and going forward that matters.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I think drinking dreams are pretty common red-they are so realistic. I hope your cravings ease.

My problem is that I've not had many intense cravings so when an intense one hit me yesterday I felt unable/overwhelmed to deal with it.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hello, Day 24 here. Content and thankful for another day sober.

4Surf4life, way to go with 18 days, sounds like you are really nailing all of the challenges set before you!

Gig

cheese, chocolate, lollies and turnips. But no alcohol.
All of your daily nutritional needs right there in one shop, what a combo. Made me chuckle.

God job winning that mental battle. Cravings seem to be only mental for me now too, so dare I say things are getting easier in that respect. In the early days I was a pocessed grog zombie, sometimes it seemed my body and mind were seperate. I would be stomping towards the grog shop whilst telling myself to turn back. It seemed my body wouldn't listen. I found it upsetting at the time that I was unable to control myself. I would be trying not to cry in front of the shop assistant as I was buying the stuff becuase I didn't want it.

Saskia, day 15, Rock on my friend

JHE, No need to feel embarressed, we all have a problem saying no to booze or did at one time. So everyone understands. I'm glad you came back to us.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I've had the intense cravings and it is an unbelieveable feeling. Like your mind gets taken over and you no longer are in control.