Notices

Class of May 2012 part 11

Old 09-26-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Hi Tanja, I thought it was a doe but am not positive :-)
Old 09-26-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Grats jeni on 4 months!!
Grats Tanja on 60 days!!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Terrible, terrible 24 hours. Very uncomfortable last night, very sad memories and thoughts.
I'm proud of myself that I didn't drink. I really didn't even want to.
Then today out of the blue my family is fighting which is something that never happens. Some have backed out of a family dinner I am having tonight at my house. The people who are coming have no idea and will be bringing wine. I didn't say not to because at the timeshe said it I was feeling very strong, but I am sick to my stomach about what's going on in my family right now. And I'm angry too but I always get sick worrying someone I love will die while we're not on the best speaking terms. And I am work and have to leave a couple times because I can't control my crying. This is my first blindsided trigger, something I didn't see coming, something I didn't plan for, and something I would usually go home and self-destruct over.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

((((OLL)))), Don't do it girl. You don't have to drink over this. You have us to lean on. I'm so sorry your family is fighting right now. That is always so tough. You can get through tonight. Maybe there will be some headway with your family tonight, maybe there won't. But if you get through tonight there will be time to think about the rest later. Sending you good thoughts!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Class of June 2012

Hello,

Since the first week of June, I have been sober. I have had tough time emotinally with anxiety, depression and insomnia. I have sought treatment for these things. I realize when I was drinking that I was self medicating underlying issues. I am dealing with those issues everyday along with almost constant low-level anxiety. right now, I dont have anything in my life that is causing anxiety. I think it is just from the withdrawl of alcohol. I have'nt wanted another drink of fear of starting over with horrible anxiety. Right now, I just feel bad and not really enjoying life. Will my with emotions improve? Is this part of recovery? Can it take months..or years? reassurance from those who are going through recovery give me a little hope when Im feeling bad! Thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

OLL-we are here for you. Family arguments and fallings out are difficult. Is there any way you can back out of tonight? Say you are not well?
It's hard to be strong in the face of such triggers?
Whatever happens, drinking will only make a difficult situation worse. Think how you will feel tomorrow.
Stay close to us.
I'm here for you xxx
Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

((OneLessLonely)) - it's tricky when families start falling out and fighting at the best of times, let alone at a time like this. But I know you can get through it without drinking. Whatever happens, remember that your sobriety has to come first, and if that means finding an excuse to rearrange/cancel the meal, then that's what it means.

Love and Hugs to you, and remember that whatever happens, nobody is going to die as a result.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

OLL, hang in there with us! I know you can stay sober. If you think the best thing would be to cancel the event, that's ok. Your sobriety is more important.

Welcome hoosiervet! Congratulations on being sober for nearly 4 months! Glad you came here. This is an awesome group of people. Some of our members check in less often as they move on in their sobriety but there are still a group of us posting nearly every day and others who stop by now and again. Good that you are working on the underlying issues. I'm not an expert in this but have been told that anxiety is the other face of depression. I think all of our experiences are similar and yet unique. You might want to look up PAWS (post-acute alcohol withdrawal syndrome, I think). Some of us seem to suffer longer from anxiety and depression than others but my impression is that it's not uncommon. And I think you are also correct that going back to alcohol and then stopping again could make the anxiety worse or at least you would be starting over again. I'm sorry you are still not feeling well. Have you tried diet, exercise (especially outdoors)?

Some of us also attend AA, others follow Rational Recovery or both.

Please let us know how you are doing!
Old 09-26-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for your messages of support. I emailed her to let know I wasn't drinking and to only bring it if she wanted to drink it. Then I've set the stage for me not drinking. So Ill be okay in that regard.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Welcome Hossiervet! Congrats on nearly 4 months sober and sorry to hear about your anxiety. Saskia has some good advice -- have you also tried meditation or yoga?

I find it's also possible to reduce low level or non-specific anxiety by the simple acts of breathing deeply and pulling your shoulders back and sitting or standing up straight. This is your body's natural response when it chooses the fight response to a fear-inducing stimulus -- whether real or not -- as opposed to the freeze or flight response (anxiety). By consciously taking those small actions, you can often trick the amygdala (the primitive part of the brain that controls emotional response and produces the physiological feeling of anxiousness) into believing it is in the fight response, which eliminates anxiety. (The amygdala is dumb but powerful and can only do one or two things at once ). Try it out -- it might help.

OLL so sorry to hear you are struggling! We are here for you!

Tanja congrats on 60 days!

Jeni congrats on 4 months!

FP thanks for the shout out. Thinking of you as your surgery approaches.

I'm doing great. Day 10 here, I believe. Been busy but productive at work, and also have been hanging out on another forum working on some other issues, which explains why I haven't been posting here as much (though I've been checking in). I figure with all this sober time on my hands I might as well work to improve myself in other arenas as well

Hope everyone else is doing well....
Old 09-26-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Dinner cancelled. Shouting match with my step dad. Mom ignoring me. We are not this family but this has been blown so far out of proportion I don't see how it can ever be the same. :*(
I'm not drinking but this has been the hardest issue.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

OLL, good for you for staying in there with your sobriety. That should be, IMHO, your #1 priority right now so I'm proud of you!

Old 09-26-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by OneLessLonely View Post
I'm not drinking but this has been the hardest issue.
(((OneLess))). Huge hugs of love to you, sober sister. Thank you for posting your feelings and letting us know what's happening. I am sorry that your family issues are causing so much heartache. A big congratulations to you for staying sober through your difficulties, as that is a testament to your solid strength of resolve. Best wishes for better times ahead.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stick with it OLL...family dynamics are rough - just remember sometimes even the people we love can be jackasses

I've already responded to you elsewhere, but welcome Hoosiervet
Things do get better for sure - none of us would be here in recovery if it didn't

D
Old 09-26-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
...just remember sometimes even the people we love can be jackasses
Amen to that.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

OLL, Sending out a big hug. Sorry to hear the going has gotten so rough. My thoughts are with you. Keep strong my sober sis.
Dee, loved that line...it is so so true.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

(((OLL))) more big hugs coming your way! You guys will get through it, and way to go staying sober! Sometimes bad things happen in families and they do end up forever changed, but for the better.. were sending you good thoughts!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Adding more hugs to the pile on, (((OLL))). Wishing you peace tonight.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Welcome, hoosier! Saskia pretty much said it all. I came on here pre-apologetic that I'm not the daily posting type, only to find myself posting daily. That may change, may not, but in here its all good so do what's right for you.

Things are pretty good here, day 120. Been getting daily cravings again, still feel the season has a lot to do with it. That av creeps in with the decrease in uv...

Desserto, glad you are well! I like your idea about tricking the brain out of anxiety, imm gonna try it. At the very least, my posture will improve!

Fp, still sending healthy thoughts your way!

Tanja, hope you continue o feel better and stronger. Next thing you know you'll be channeling cesar millan. Excersise, discipline affection!

Sassy saskia, you always say the most insightful things

Emily, way to go supporting may mates while going through your own stuff! You too deserve happiness and sobriety. You sound to be gaining traction on step 1 with the codiene, good call.

Jeni, hope you have a wonderful day with kind coworkers!

May sisters and brothers, have a soberlicious night/day
Old 09-26-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Wehav, I'm glad you're posting often. You have a great energy that comes through in your writing. It's a pleasure to read.