D
Old 08-29-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
orangutan

I win I win I win , I post first .
Old 08-29-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Aw...man! Congrats, Aussie.... glad you are sleeping better. I keep waking up b/t 4 and 5 am. But, that's okay, its productive time, and I go to bed by 10 a lot of nights. I can get by on 6 hrs.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dang it!!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Up early again (5 am) today. I think the wife is either getting used to it, or hiding her frustration a little better. The confounding factor is that I can't get up and go into the living room to read the paper and have coffee, since that's where the dog is, and she wants her attention right away. So she gets it. Which means I have to manage her energy, which is generally a noisy type of energy, and so on and so on.

Ordered a book yesterday, "10 Days to Self-Discipline", written by Theodore Bryant, an MSW and behavioral scientist. It got good reviews and feedback, and reads like a workbook, where you take a chapter and then do the exercises, in each of 10 days; hence, the title. The reviews said it does as much for self-esteem as it does for discipline. It's amazing what digressions on Amazon.com can lead you to. They are truly a marketing genius.

Parents are coming into town this weekend. It should be a nice visit. We have a nice little bit planned, and plenty of free time. Scrabble and Liverpool Rummy are gonna happen, since we will likely have the remnants of Isaac filling our skies with rain the whole time.

Dontcha hate when you are just sitting there, and start hearing voices from your pocket? I am beginning to really dislike smart phones!

Anyway, we've got our house in pretty good shape for their visit. Carpets cleaned, new paint on the walls, new art. Now I just hafta get the lawn and landscaping groomed a bit and I'll be ready for them. And then Fall can commence.

Have a great day, all!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Morning!

Good run this morning.

For managing the dog, could you take her out for a quick pee and then give her a coloring book to occupy her while you are having coffee? A coloring book could be a compressed rawhide or a food toy she has to work to get the kibble out of.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry but I have a smart phone and I don't hear voices in my pants. Just sayin.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Well, mirage, you dont know what you are missing!

My coloring book is a pigs ear, and it works eventually. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello All--into the holiday weekend...last 2 days have been lovely, but heat is starting to build again...can't believe summer has flown by. I look back, and a year ago I was 'doing time' and it is a time of my life I wish I could forget. It's all part of my new growth. Got a raise at work this week which I am grateful for. Trying to sniff around about getting out of town this weekend to see my folks. If not, will make the best of the weekend. Thursday night is my favorite meeting of the week. The group (As Bill Sees It) is going to be 2 years old next month. The first time I went (& for awhile) it was just 8 or 10 people. Now we get 20-25 every week. It is one of 2 meetings I set up & make coffee at...which my sponsor suggested early & now I see why....because it meant I would have to go to at least 2 meetings a week due to commitment. I usually hit 4 no problem, but my sponsor is no dummy. He is a true 'oldtimer'..and he has started 3 or 4 meetings in the area and really gives of himself for AA (plus he tells great stories)
Old 08-31-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

TGIF! Enjoyed watching the repub convention this week and am geeked that the democrat one starts on Tuesday!! Wahoo! I didn't realize they were so close to each other. Gives me somethin to look forward to next week! The coverage is fascinating, I'm looking forward to comparing.

Ben got word that he will be on the elementary school news team. (5th graders only) He's soooo excited. (They do the morning news every morning, it airs on the tvs in the rooms.) He submitted a request to be a School Mystery Reporter, and I guess they liked the idea. He wants to have a mystery every week. Like he might ask the principal if he can take something off the wall in the hall, and have the missing painting be the case for the week. I think it sounds cute. I anticipate us helping him come up with scooby doo like cases! Then he got another job in the news room as Computer Operator. SO..this all means that I'm driving him to school on Monday and Tuesday mornings till I THINK, late January. (semester break.) Thank god I'm sober.

Tony got the electives he wanted. Vocal music all year, theater one semester and a teen health class the other semester. He'll be auditioning for the school musical, The Little Mermaid, later in September. I'll tell you when so you can send 'stay on pitch' vibes to him!

I finished that cross stitch I was making for my friend's 'baby'! Finished yesterday. I've decided to just frame it and mail it to Puerto Rico, and not worry about the money. And then I'll hope she doesn't have anymore babies.

I stopped taking that antibiotic awhile back, but thought I needed to start again. So I did and got the headaches back on the second day. I stopped again..not worth it. If I need to go back on, I'll have to go to the doc and try a new kind. Man, those mothers HURT.

We're going up north today, supposed to be a really nice weekend. Downloaded a couple books and have another xstitch to dive into. I've been aching for a really good book. I have a bunch of chick lit, but it's mostly fluffy love garbage. I'd love to get into a real page turner. Anyway.

Happy to report I'm at least 5 lbs down. (I didn't really weigh myself when I started, so I don't know for sure, but I'm estimating my start weight and I might be a bit low.) Still doing phase 1, so I have not yet had bread, pasta, cookies, ice cream or anything besides those fudgicles and pb in regards to sugar, except if there's some in salad dressing, cuz I've had that. I still jones for it a bit after a meal, but I don't think it's as bad as it was.

Just put Tony back in bed in his dark room..migraine. Poor kid, it's his second. Oh, and he doesn't sleep in a "dark room", like where you develop pictures. I just meant his bedroom is dark. lol Suddenly, I love that visual.

Hope you all are well and happy today!! Have a great weekend!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Busy! Happy! Nervous! Excited!

All good things happening, and I'm not letting my FV (Fear Voice) join the party.

Paper that got rejected at one sustainability website got accepted another place!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Mirage...you are doing better than I on your phases. I've had a back track, but will jump back on after the weekend. I'm still trying to avoid carbs, but its not a priority. 232 this a.m. Still a net gain. Have a great weekend! Sounds like you've been real busy. This thread has been quieter than usual.

Frances...no need to be nervous, but I totally understand. Trust. Hope you and hubby can relax some this weekend. Anxiety cures nothing. Congrats on the paper's second life!

Hope Dave is okay and will check in after the storm. I wonder if they are out of power.

Enjoy your weekend Bryan and hope you get to go see your family.

Aussie and Dee, how's the weekend so far? We're in for storm leftover's here.

May go see Romney and Ryan tomorrow. I have tickets. Enjoyed their side of things this week, we'll see what's up next week with the Dems.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

good day here so far Lofty

Have a good weekend everyone

Hope Tony feels better Mirage

D
Old 08-31-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
orangutan

I had a day out with my father yesterday ,I took him into town to do the grocery shopping ,we had coffee and luch later it was a really pleasent day out .I was getting really depressed again and the day out lifted my spirits also came home buzzing from how relaxed I was doing all the driving, it wasn't that long ago I would have been having a full blown panic attack at just the thought of having to drive.
Another beautiful day here , we didn't get the forcasted storm the other day but the season is looming .
Old 08-31-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Feel better Tony! And you too Mirage!

Thanks so much for the chin-up Lofty, keep 'em coming.

I would totally go see the candidates if I were you; it's historic! I saw President Clinton in a big sports arena when he was campaigning, and Mrs. Clinton in a small-group outdoors setting at my college. I treasure those memories of being so close to such important people for our country.

Stay well everybody. Husband and I are both drained and tired; no surprise. Pulling the house together so we can enjoy the evening.

10 mile run tomorrow; then the cabin!
Old 09-01-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

OK...the fireworks have started.

My folks are visiting, and, it never fails. My dad says or does something that just smacks me in the face. They've been here just 15 hrs, and its here.

I make my living as a financial planner, which includes both investments and insurance. My folks have opted to use me for one insurance solution, and have consistently snubbed me as a stockbroker. Don't get me wrong; that's the only way I'd have it as well. I don't want to manage my family's money. But he snubs not just my services, but advice. He's done so in a million ways. I'll admit I'm hypersensitive to his snubs. He's never asked me about any holdings. I did analyze his statement once and showed him where his broker is charging him and how he could save some money. It's been more than a year since I've offered any further advice, as he snubs my suggestions.

So, we are sitting at the breakfast table, and he asks my wife whether her company would be a good investment. Right in front of me. And doesn't seek nor want my advice. Hers is a public company, of which I have more info at my fingertips on its performance than you could shake a stick at. She is not in mgmt and performs a specific, non-investment sales task at her company. A situation just like this has arisen before. And it gets my goat. Couldn't my dad have waited to ask her about her feelings about her company until I wasn't around? They had already planned to walk the dog, which I don't do (due to my knee), so why not wait until then? So...I'm sitting there thinking what an insensitive dick my dad is. And, then the avalanche of a lifetime of differences falls (in my mind only). One little trigger. Ugh.

He's a minister. It makes me want to pose a specific bible or gospel-related question to my mom at our next meal. That would be wrong. Besides, she'd just deflect to my dad.

OK...thanks for the vent. I'm going swimming now to try to work this out in my head and get over the hate running through my veins.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

(((((Lofty)))))

Remember, even Jesus was snubbed in his hometown by those who knew him growing up, so you are in great company!

I know the hurt though, really hope the swim helped - taking care of YOU is priority #1

Rosie
Old 09-01-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Thank you, Rosie. That really helped! The swim was great too. I have a hair-trigger sensitivity when it comes to my dad. The reasons are abundant, and not that important to go into, but they have to do with both my brokenness and his.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals View Post
... I have a hair-trigger sensitivity when it comes to my dad. The reasons are abundant, and not that important to go into, but they have to do with both my brokenness and his.
Unfortunately, something else we share! My mom and me, though.

Really glad the swim helped, Lofty! So great to have a physical outlet like that.

My DH was doing much better - both health and stress wise - when he had access to a fantastic gym and trainers during the work day at his last job. I wish he would take up running again, he used to love it, was a local track star "back in the day". He ran a 5k with his company team for a charity just before he changed jobs, loved it, maybe I'll find a way to encourage him to give it a go again. Not the same, but he usually has access to a treadmill while traveling, so he could keep it up if he wanted to.

Prayers for you and your family during the rest of the visit!
Remember that!

Rosie
Old 09-01-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Prayers lofty! So glad the swim helped.

We're at the cabin, heaven. Friends good kids, swimming, sun, delicious dinner.