# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

One Year & Under Club Part 7

we continue from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-6-a-21.html

D
Old 09-20-2012, 11:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I woke up at 1:30 AM, as usual, lol, and went into the bathroom and switched on a nightlite and a minute later the light went out. None of the bathroom lights would work, so went into the hall and that light wouldn't work either. I could see through windows the neighbors lights worked. Went in my bedroom, those lights worked, so I brought the dog down with me and flipped the fuse back. Checked the night lite and the plug was a little crooked which prompted an automatic shut off I am guessing.

So why am I telling you this? It is because in my drinking days, I wouldve been paranoid that someone was in the house or that the house would burn down. Because heavy drinking got me paranoid. I would forget I did or moved things and think someone mustve been in the house and moved them. Or my fears would impel me to draw illogical conclusions. What a crazy time!!!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hmmm, EQ, now that you mention, I used to be super paranoid about stuff like that too, like an overactive imagination, and I actually haven't experienced that for a long time. Didn't really notice till now and never connected it with alcohol. Hmmm. I think maybe (for me) it's not the alcohol exactly but just the fact that I'm more stable now? Who knows.....glad you discovered a new perk to not drinking! There are lots of them, they get more subtle but more profound, if that makes sense. I can't wait to see how I feel in another year. I feel like I'll be a completely different person! (In a good way)
Old 09-21-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me too IP!

Meeting my girlfriend at a nice classy bar we used to go to for happy hour food and martinis and music. Only no martinis for me. I am happy to go to this place again as I like it. I want to reclaim it.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi all,
enjoy your nite out EQ.
Hope all are well
Old 09-21-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi everybody

Just been reading your posts and thinking back now I was paranoid too when I was drinking, either that or I've got a vivid imagination! I was always forgetting that I'd moved things and even worse thinking that I had moved things when I hadn't, if that makes any sense!

Another thing too, I was always covered in bruises, but couldn't for the life of me tell you how I'd got them!

Hope you had a good night out EQ

Love to you all

Gxx
Old 09-21-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also just a quick surprise of sobriety pride. Friday night trying to figure out what to have for dinner puttering around the house and hubby says "you want one of your new drinks?" (these sparkling juices that come in glass bottles that I've been drinking on the weekends to replace my alcoholic drinks.) it made me smile that not only had I not been thinking about or craving alcohol, I also hadn't even been thinking of my replacement/security drink. I love not racing to the liquor store on Fridays and mixing myself a drink before I even change or take my shoes off. I love that it does not cross my mind in that way much anymore. Another reason to smile- I am at 4 months today. Hope everyone has a nice weekend!
Old 09-21-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That really is progress Onelesslonely. You've come a long way in 4 months! 4 months seems like a lifetime away to me at the moment, but I'll get there. I love those sparkling drinks too.

Gx
Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oneless, those moments are something arent they? I agree with IP that we eventually notice smaller things but they are more profound somehow.

Had a nice time meeting up with a girlfriend tonite. Told her how bad it had gotten before I quit drinking. She is the kind that can take all the dark stuff without wincing or personalizing but with still loving and supporting. She told me that last October (when my Mom was at an inpatient hospice, & to get me away from there for a bit, she drove in and met me at a nearby bar / restaurant), that she was worried about my drinking then. She was right. At that point, I couldn't even hide it anymore.

The funny thing about tonite was none of my 3 cranberry and club sodas with lime were even put on the bill. The place is so nice I think they just comped them. She had one margarhita and that was $12. And we ate. When the bill came, it was so low that I burst out laughing! Without me throwing back martinis that bill was so small!!! LOL I got a kick out of that.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That is one amazingly awesome perk to not drinking, that just never gets old----the low dinner bills! When I think of all the money I've forked over on drinks over the years, it makes me sick.

I was pretty into the sparkling juices and ciders for the first few months that I quit, then they started to hurt my stomach so I stopped (too acidic). Then was obsessive about san pellegrino, but now I'm okay with just plain water or tea or whatever. What I'm drinking isn't so important anymore. (Except when it's coffee).

Grace, I too remember a time when it was normal for me to have bruises all over my body from smashing into things and falling.

Overall I'm just taking much better care of myself these days.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi all, never posted on this thread. I guess I qualify, definitely under one year. Just wanted to connect with more members. Everyone have a great weekend and take care.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Bloss

D
Old 09-22-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good afternoon everybody

Thought I'd just do a bit of catching up. I'm running late today, I usually do an early morning post. Oh well, so it goes. Had a busy morning, took my mum into town and did some grocery shopping which I hate ( the grocery shopping that is). It takes me twice as long to do anything these days as I have my 2.5 year old g.son living me practically 24/7. He's lovely but bloomin hard work!

Sounds like you had a good night out Eternal, it's good to have a friend like that, that you can tell about your darkest moments without them being shocked or judging you. You're lucky. Great cheap now too, what a good perk!

I.P I'm trying to take better care of myself, I went to pot a bit when I was drinking, so now I'm making an effort to try and look nice, clean hair, bit of makeup, nails done, etc, etc. Trying to lose a bit of weight too.

Hi Bloss, I'm so glad you joined us, I'm very, very new to this group too, so big welcome from me. How are you doing? I hope you have a good weekend too.

Anyway love to you all

Stay strong, be sober

Big hugs

Gxx
Old 09-22-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Guys, Hope you are well.

Grace, yes I too had grown accustomed to many unknown bruises. I think drunken clumsiness, loss of memory and vitamin deficiency from drinking all contributed. What a sight we generate, from bruised to beautiful now! : )

Hi Bloss, glad you are here! The more the better!

Last night, when I came home, my place was all straightened and neat. I was like: How the heck did this happen? Seriously, with drinking, I never had the place like this. By Fridays it used to look like it had been ransacked! It still has a way to go, but the fact that I got home last night, walked through the downstairs and said: Wow in bewilderment was amazing. I used to joke that it looked like a burglar broke in while I was out.... Last night it looked like while I was out, a maid broke in! LOL
Old 09-22-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Smile

I Hope everyone is having a nice Saturday. Having some coffee, then taking my dog out for a little stroll. Probably just putter around today, have to visit with my husband's mom and dad a bit this evening. Getting a little hard, his mom has the beginnings of Alzheimers. So, just have to be loving and patient. For now she is still with us, so we will enjoy our time together. Nice to meet all of you who posted a welcome to me!
Old 09-22-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Bloss, I'm so sorry about your mom, that must be hard. I have no experience with Alzheimer's but from what I know it is very hard on the loved ones. Consider this one more place to vent and to get support.

That's great about your place eq, wish I could say the same but I just am a slob no matter if I'm drinking or not. Drive my bf crazy. :gash

Pretty uneventful Saturday so far. Went for a run this morning at the beach with my dog, it was great, very foggy and west-coasty, and the tide was out which my dog LOVES, he runs through the water chasing seagulls and herons, so cute. Now just home putting off doing homework. Have netflix on.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Morning everbody

Hope you're all well and having a good w/end. It's blooming cold here and I'm all wrapped up in my winter woollies. It's been frosty the last two mornings and its only September, it doesn't bode well.

Bloss, we think my dad has the beginning of Alzheimers or dementia, he's very confused.com. He had a fall in February and since then he's gone downhill rapidly. It's very sad. Age is so cruel. We are waiting for an appointment for the memory clinic, then we'll take it from there. Patience and a sense of humour is needed at all times.

E.Q I've done a lot of cleaning since becoming sober. can't believe how much I'd let things slide. I've scrubbed my kitchen from top to bottom and do you know what, there was even some sort of sauce on the ceiling !! Think it must have been from when I was very enthusiastically making stir fry after several glasses of wine!! I put a LOT of emphasis on the Stir!!

What kind of dog do you have I.P? I have two cats, but I love all animals really.

Well anyway, bet get my backside in gear and do a bit now. Wishing you all a safe and sober Sunday

Catch up later

Gxx
Old 09-23-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have a Nova Scotia Duck Toller/Border Collie mix. He is the cutest dog, with the sweetest personality. So affectionate and loving, and funny! Aw, I love him.

I love cats too, but I'm horribly allergic to them. Sad.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
HtWn $KILL$

What's up Fam

How's everyone doing, I'm new in recovery and looking for all the support i can get. I am fresh out of rehab and going to as many meeting as i can a day. I'm loving my life today and hope all have a great night.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good morning to you all.

I'm in work at the moment,so have to be careful! Bottom of the hill. The weather is terrible, dark, grey and lashing it down. I'm startind a healthy eating plan as from today as I really need to lose some weight, you'd think it would be dropping off now I'm not drinking wine by the barrel, but it isn't. Anyway, I've bought porridge in for my breakfast and I've made a lovely salad for lunch and lots of fruit and some monkey on our team at work has gone and brought us in two boxes of lovely chocolate chip cookies !! I'll sniff them but I'm not going to eat any, I'm really not!

I.P, your doggie sounds gorgeous, what's he called? Hope you're having a good day.

Hi to you, MBM, big welcome to our group. How are you today and how long have you been sober? You could join one of the classes, I'm in the class of August, but there is also a class of September, you'll get loads and loads of support on S.R. We are all on this journey together and we are all here for you. Keep focused and keep posting as often as you can. I'm happy that you're loving your life now, me too, we are worth so much more.

Big hugs

Gxx