Notices

Class of May 2012 Pt 7

Old 07-14-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
Administrator

Change takes time I think uninvited...and yeah that clicking your fingers thing doesn't work LOL.

I think patience is essential...that and working to improve your life in whatever ways you think it's needs it...and not drinking of course.

We're not missing out on anything man - we were missing out *then*

D
Old 07-14-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Good Saturday evening, May boaters! Day 63. Rain yesterday and a little earlier today, which kept the usual tourist crowds at bay. Quiet day overall, which is blessing.

(((Uninvited))): Thank you for your heartfelt post to us. Sobriety is one heck of a life-changing experience for those of us ex-long-term drinkers. I'm often in a reflective mood over time I've missed, but it's essential to push forward and enjoy our new and better life without the booze. Throw those running shoes back on, sobermate, and try getting out there to socialize a bit, too. Excellent work on staying sober. Hugs to you, buddy.

You-Rock: Awesome link for Payton. I bookmarked it on my laptop, too. Hope you're having a better day today after coming down from that high-intensity work schedule. Enjoy the band tonight. We're all right here for you if/when you need us.

(((Payton))): I am so sorry that the robbery has such far-reaching effects. I'm glad that you posted with us to let us know. We're all here for you. Wishing you peace, May mate.

Dee: Thank you for your wonderful advice to our boaters. Your lighthouse of wisdom is a welcomed sight for our ship in stormy seas.

OneLess: I'm sorry you had a trying day. Terrific that you sound so strong on the sober front. Awesome job on doing a great reading at the wedding, too. Big hugs to you.

Saskia: "Sorry to tell you this, fP .... I'm a founding member of U.F.C.C.L. And you are sooooo busted" Ah, geez. Can you get me fired from feeding the cats? Can ya? Huh? Pleeeeeaaaase? Also, that photo of a monster amount of cats was just a stock image from Google. I hope you're feeling better now and that your energy has returned, sober bandita. Big hugs to you.

Thursday: I love your humorous posts! Such a fun instigator, too. How are you doing on the sober front, classmate?

Pink in a poke buddy: "A FrenchPink poser or a kitten hiding from the crazy Junior Cat Lady Officers? Or maybe one of 2nd Mom's cats has taken a fancy to FrenchPink and is sending subtle adoption hints." Jumping in on the shenanigans with Thursday, are ya? You've got a wonderful sense of humor, too, sobermate. How are you doing today?

Super-Crew, Ginger Beer, Tanja, and Flicked: Where did you go? Please throw us a post when you can.

IllNeverTell: You know I've seen you lurking again, classmate. Please give us a note when you're able.

Emily: Are you back yet? Please tell us about your adventures in London. Can't wait to hear from you, May mate.

With extra time on my hands, I've been enjoying my front porch most afternoons, as have a few neighbors who've stopped by for a chat. One of those neighbors has fallen on hard times and may soon lose her house. She's been putting out buckets to catch rain since the water was shut off. Tough stuff, but we're all pitching in where we can. In this financial climate of our town, none of us are too proud to think we couldn't ever face a similar fate.

Another one who's becoming a neighbor via frequent visits to his mother's house is our gal/guy Tranny, sporting a smashing new blue metallic manicure. He was looking to me for advice on how to care for 2nd mom when she comes home from rehab later next week. The gravity of caring for his elderly mother is finally weighing heavily on him. I'm encouraged by his newly realized concern, but do hope it's not fleeting.

I'm off to perform nightly cat duties. Thinking I'll wear elephant hip waders to avoid that laborious flossing of the toes that Dweller surmised. This way, I can just hose off the unintentional carnage.

Back later, my wonderful May mates. Love and hugs to all.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

I really hope I wake up happy and proud tomorrow that I didn't drink because all I've wanted to do all night was cry.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Hey, OneLess. I'm sorry that you're having a tough night. Want to talk about it? Hugs to you.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((OLL)))

Hope the dawn brings you a better day

D
Old 07-14-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Dear Luling, my very special running mate. It's true. I've finally landed back on earth and am catching up on everyone's life. Methinks you are discussing my ex-girlfriend from many years ago, the one with whom I shouldn't have hooked up with in a relationship a couple years ago and is still stalking me today. Tell me, friend, does she also talk a lot? Like every second of every moment? It's (she's) obviously not the same person in your life, but reminds me of her. She's 50ish now and nothing has changed in her way of life, her personality. But I can tell you this: 30 years after I met her she is still a perspiration to us all. In other words, she still stinks and we've all grown up.

Originally Posted by Luling View Post
So, I don't know how to deal with this person in my running group. We've known each other for a long time, and she is one of the most abhorrent personalities I've ever encountered. She's negative, she's the kind of person to notice and point out when you've had a bad haircut or have gained a few pounds, she constantly whinges about how she hates living here, and most of all, she's a pathological one-upper. She went to be better college, she's wealthier, her kids have genius level IQ's and are athletic prodigies, blah, blah, blah. I bet her dog is smarter too.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Holy tamoli, Payton. Thank God he didn't steal your ability to write, nor your soul. I'm so sorry you had to go through this. Forgive me for this four days passed post, but I'm catching up and sometimes hindsight is a beautiful thing when you read it in real time.

Originally Posted by Payton View Post
Today is getting worse. We found out who robbed us and that he is a member of a national crime syndicate. He stole my actual social security card AND checkbook in addition to my personal things. $$$ is gone out of my bank account and this crime organization has now stolen my identity, worst of all. I'm in the middle of a huge sht storm. Not coping too well....spent the morning at the police station.

PS - this ******* stole my perfume and husband's cologne and my ******* manicure sets. Really? Did he need to smell like Chanel while he filed his nails and gave my identity to the pimp at the center of this crime ring?

I met this ************ while he cased my house, worst of all. I know who did this. I'm washing everything this sociopath touched.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Thank God I read all the past posts, rather than darting to the most recent. You just made my evening, dearest most Frenchist Pink. Thanks for the laugh! And congrats on 60 days, my friend.

Originally Posted by FrenchPink View Post
Good evening, boaters! Busy day today in working on helping out my friend. I know I've got many wonderful posts to catch up on, but had to take a break in the action to share this story:

Went over to 2nd mom's place to do the nightly cat feeding. Ran into Drunk Neighbor along the way...a very nice man with a heavy Middle Eastern accent.

I ask casually, "How's it going, buddy?" as I fiddle with my key in the door.
He says, "Well, tonight I'm really upset."
So now I know I'd best get comfy where I stand, because this is gonna take some time. He's got a tumbler full to the brim of whiskey and I can smell it from the 12 feet of distance between us over the fence.
He says, "I love the neighbor's cats. Animals are all good and people are all evil. God is in every one of all animals, but people are all selfish. People are all selfish and all animals are good because people are selfish and all the animals want is love and food and water and we're all selfish."

You get the gist. So I was very courteous to him, as I am the last person to get high and mighty with the inebriated, and assured him that we'd talk again after I finished feeding the cats. (Yeah, right.)

Was almost finished feeding the indoor cats, when sin of all sins, I inadvertently let one escape from its shared cage. Oh, boy. I could just see my beloved crazy cat lady 2nd mom giving me that look to kill from miles away in her rehab bed. She knows things! Truthfully, the cat had a grand time dodging my advances while enjoying the freedom to run around the house with abandon.

At this point, I'm in deep litter box doo-doo for my misstep. Now I've got to repent and make the dreaded call to the second-in-command Cat Lady Lieutenant, who's filling in for the Matriarch.

She says, "Which cat is it? Is it Fluffy or Spot or Precious or Jimmy with the crooked ear? You have to make sure that if it's Snowball she doesn't eat Lulu's food because Lulu......"
What I wanted to say was, "Hey, Drunk Neighbor? Here's a phone call for you."
I don't know which effin' cat it was! Good lawd.

So on my way out, instead of expecting cats eating the food I'd put outside just minutes earlier, I startle a large gray rat in the food and watch it scamper away. (Dweller?) And then I thought, if the time comes when I lose my mind and want to hoard 17+ cats of my own, I believe my actions tonight have classified me as "persona non grata" in the global network of crazy cat ladies.

Damn it all.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you Crew - hows things?

D
Old 07-14-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

That all reminds me of a life I lived a few decades ago! Everything smells a little different when you are sober, eh?

Originally Posted by Soberjanedoe View Post
I'm at a night club. I'n not drinking, don't feel like drinking. My flatmate insisted I come out for the cheap student night, it was a big mistake. Everyone's drunk and the club stinks. Girls barely legal are dressed in barely anything and stumbling drunk, sleazy guys are grinding up against them on the dance floor, girls are in the toilets vomiting and crying. It's not a pretty picture and my patience is wearing thin and I'm stuck here for 2nore hours.

I can't believe I used to enjoy these places and I can't believe we've allowed this culture to be socially acceptable.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Woo, hoo! Our Super-Crooner is back in action. Laying down his special brand of love on our boaters. Good to see your posts again, classmate. I was missing you.

What's new with you, buddy?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:09 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

I'm not a girl, nor did I wear high heals or short skirts, but I did dance on a few tables with those that did, and fell off a few bar stools when dancing with them. Thank God nobody ever caught me on video, otherwise I'd have a lot of splaining to do with my kiddos!

Thursday, every time I come back into this forum you have a new avatar. This one is by far the most beautiful and sexy one you've had.

Originally Posted by ThursdayNight View Post
SJD - it must be really interesting to watch that scene from a sober point of view. When I see people getting drunk and stupid it reminds me of why I am glad I am not drinking.

The night scene here is about the same - young girls wearing the tallest-heeled shoes and shortest dress they can possibly find, dancing like strippers (oh, if only they could see a video of themselves when sober) and inevitably they take a tumble on the dance floor or fall off a bar stool, while their girlfriends just look at them struggling to get up.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:23 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

I was a spy in my earlier years, and even learned Morse Code. That sounds a little like my favorite piece by Ravel, Balero :-)

Originally Posted by ThursdayNight View Post
Mozart Morse Code.

FP, name that tune:

Dunt.
Dun Dunt.
Dun dunt dun dun dun dun...

Dunt.
Dun Dunt.
Dun dunt dun dun dun dun.....
Old 07-14-2012, 10:56 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Goodness. Where do I start. I'm still sober. That's a good place to start, eh? I had to bury myself in work this past week, not just for the sake of work, but for the sake of my soul. I happen to work with monks and nuns these days, and they happen to be pretty normal guys and gals with an extraordinary ability to live life in a particular way. Hmm, that sounds a lot like trying to remain sober.

I'll make a very long story, short. My best friends are those I work with and for, and with those of you in this Class of May. It's with them and you I feel peaceful and real. I also had the great pleasure of spending some time with people I used to know, and it's through them that I found my life is so much better without most of them.

To the person on the outside looking in, it may seem odd that I have such tremendous love for every single person in this Class of May, but to all of you, I know it makes complete and comfortable sense.

I could walk into a reunion with all of you and feel completely comfortable, whereas a reunion with my high school or college mates would feel slightly uncomfortable.

I don't measure friendships by much. It seems unbecoming to do so. But as a former Marine, a lover of life and people of all walks of life, I do take one measure of friendship seriously: would I feel comfortable going to battle with them and would I come out feeling the same? With all of you, I do. Thank you all for posting, lurking, taking a break, coming back or whatever. I'd go to battle with any and all of you.

Forgive me for not congratulating all of you with your milestones. I just read through all of recent posts, but didn't take notes. Whether it's starting over with day one or reaching into the seventies, I'm grateful to be a part of all this. Huge love to all of you
Old 07-14-2012, 11:15 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

FP -- I've never done this before, but in honor of the French Horn and you, I'm simultaneously listening to Bolero and Beethoven's 9th. It's weird, but it's also actually pretty cool. If I was smoking weed, I'd be out on my balcony waving my arms around like a mad conductor while also trying to correct all the problems of the world. But I haven't smoked the weed in nearly 25 years, so instead I'm just enjoying the music and reading the posts of my friends.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:42 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Crew, you are amazing. What a beautiful way to end my night by reading that post. We have gone to battle, and I could not ask for a better group of people to be with. We will win this together! You all rock!
Old 07-15-2012, 12:26 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Loved your posts Crew. You summarised everything so well. I also consider the friends I've made on SR as being vitally important to me. I actually had a dream that we did have a reunion, how weird is that?!

OLL, sending hugs your way, reach out to us if you need to x

Well, for the first day in weeks, the rain has lifted here in England! I'm off taking 4 teenagers shopping. I'm going to drop them off in a big shopping centre, then go off and do my own thing I think. Love being able to drive without worrying that I might be over the legal alcohol limit. Haven't quite got used to how good that feels.

Lots of love to you all xxx
Old 07-15-2012, 01:33 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Hi Jeni! I fell asleep today, a nap of sorts, now I'm awake and on London time. Or is it Kiwi time? Both, methinks. In Oregon it's 1:30am and way too late. I just wanted to give you a shout of encouragement before sleep calls on me.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:34 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Dee...you are amazing. Thank you for being you.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:14 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Day 42. And I'm back from London. And I wish I wasn't, but there's stuff I need to sort out before I head off for good in September. It looks like I've got my student loan, which is good. But...
Let's talk about London instead. I managed to get to a couple of meetings while I was down there, the format wasn't quite the same as I'm used to, but the people were friendly.
Unlike the scum who decided that our front door was a little lacking, and plastered it with ketchup and baked beans at 2.30 in the morning. They cracked the (reinforced) glass, and shoved a rubber... thing through the letterbox. Hopefully we'll be getting a new place soon, as there's barely room to swing a cat. It's small for one, and for two... it's really small. Too small.
Oh yes, and to the security ******* in (cheap shop) who watched me pay for my shopping and then tried to make out that I was trying to nick it... hope it made your sad life a little less pathetic.

Other than that, it was a good trip. Started moving my stuff down there. So much I'll have to leave behind, but that's ok. It's only stuff.

But life goes on. And things I thought would be different... aren't. Why should they be? I didn't drink because I was lonely, or stressed. Good days, bad days, they all ended in a y, and that was reason enough to drink.
And yet, I figured that when I was there I wouldn't want to drink.
Yes, stupid isn't it? When he told me about how, sometimes on Saturdays he'd be getting together with his mates for a 'Boys night out', the first thought in my head was 'Flat to myself... drinking time!' A few nights later, I found myself thinking about hiding places.

But yes, London was good. And most of the time, I was relaxed, calm, and happy.

Then I came back, and it all went a bit pear shaped. I've posted about it in another thread, and I'm feeling a bit less... ick right now. Not quite back on track, but getting there.

Love and hugs to you all. And may your higher power go with you.
And now I need to catch up on how you've all been while I've been away...