Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 5

Old 05-04-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  
LDT

Another belated birthday greeting from me, Itch......just remember that 60 is the new 30!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Itchy. And Good Morning all. Just stopping by to check in - it's good to see that the One Year thread is thriving!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

R&A, I don't think I could keep up with Itchy and I'm just shy of 30.
Though, why is age such a big damn deal? 30, 40, 60, 70? It's the difference between a few more experiences and not.
I used to think that it meant more life to live versus not.
Now I know (here's where the few more experiences comes in) that's a lie. I could drive home today and be wiped out in a car accident. You just never know.

This man that we are really enjoying each other's company and staying up till silly hours of the night on the phone together is all stuck on "I'm going to be 40 at the end of the year. You don't want an old man."

How about I make my decisions, hmm...?
Of course....my decisions in life got me 10 years of drinking. And a whole lot of insight into others, life, and myself after.
The latter half of that statement is where the "I'm grateful to be an alcoholic" comes in.... For I also would have never met any of this wonderful community or my other, either.

Anyways.
I'm very much looking forward to the symphony tonight!

Two words: Lang Lang!!!

Lang Lang and Guo Gan

Something a little different than your average classical music, for sure. R&A, just for you .

Lang Lang - Hungarian Rhapsody #2

You either love the kid or hate him. He's a year older than me. So he's grown up on a generation of performances, crowd pleasing, etc. I think it's a great way to get the young generation back into the classics myself which is so sorely lacking. Very few people who are my age have an appreciation for it.

Regardless, he has immense talent.

I am greatly looking forward to seeing this "rockstar" perform...yet another one in a single season!

You guys have an awesome weekend!!!

ITCHY! Backwards, forwards, sideways...any which way you want. 1. you're only as old as you tell people you are and 2. you're only as old as you feel, anyways. I must have one foot in the damn grave already....

Old 05-04-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
LDT

LB.....happy to hear you're a Lang Lang fan as well. The term " other-wordly" applies. Let me know how the concert went.

Happy Weekend Overs. Full reports due on Monday.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Happy belated bday Itchy! May is a good month for birthdays, mine is coming up here.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Don't know anything about Lang Lang but I like the vids. I treated myself to a ticket pack for the remaining of the season of the "nice" orchestra in my area. I got something like 4 tickets to use whenever and however I want for $120 along with 2 tickets to a summer performance of an opera.... can't remember which one. Anyways, since I'm on my own that means 4 concerts by myself and 1 with some lucky friend!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

lang lang is awesome!

kinda the chinese liberace
Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

okokokokokokokokok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must....tonight has been a crazy night of introspection, inward reflection...awe inspiring, jaw dropping....thunderstruck...amazing awesomeness. Words can't put into perspective.

Lang lang. Just...jeeebus. He was very tame compared to all the youtube videos you see with is facial expressions, etc. BUT, you always see him a lot of times playing solo in those videos. With, he played with the orchestra so he was having to pay attention to the conductor. However....you could still CLEARLY see how much the "kid" gets into it. So many people rail him for his "theatrics" and say its a performance. Some may be. I'm sure some of it is. But....a lot of that is the sheer music. A lot of that shone through. NOW. THE REALLY NEAT THING!!! They had two "Lang Lang" cams. LOL. One that showed his face (LOL) and one that showed his fingers on the keys from above. I *love* watching the orchestra but...when they were showing his finger movements...I couldn't help but just stay with my eyes glued. Literally, I caught myself so many times with my mouth hanging wide open.
Just absolutely divine.
They played Prokofiev's Concerto # 3 for piano and orchestra and what I loved the most is that there was about a dozen little mini concertos for nearly all the instruments throughout the whole piece. It was awesome.
Then!!! No one would quit clapping! After! Shouting/bravo/encore/whistling. Sooooo he obliged and came back out and played for another 3-4 minutes or so alone! I *think* it sounded like Hungarian Rhapsody to be honest which he is known for playing. So...just simply amazingly awesome. My vocabulary fails me, I apologize.

Another piece they played was Eroica which was an "Internet Symphony number 1" by Tan Dun. That was a very short piece but SO much fun! Cincinnati is a pretty well versed city with arts and even the audience had a hard time keeping their surprise to themselves because the instruments surprised them. A lot of asian instruments people *never* hear. I simply loved it.

Honestly...though...I think what I may have loved more than Lang Lang (I know - it's hard to believe) was the symphony piece they played at the beginning. I am absolutely enamored and still completely blown away by it. I have never heard it before, either, and I love Tchaikovsky's work. It was his final 6th symphony, Pathetique. Like..........I want to run out and buy a CD of it and find about 30 illegal downloads for my PC for it RIGHT now! That guest conductor they had tonight, Long Yu, was SO incredibly talented. How he pulled WHAT he pulled out of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra tonight...made it sound like the flipping Berlin Philharmonic. I was astounded. If I had roses to throw on the stage, I would have, even though it would have been completely inappropriate. He actually CONDUCTED. He directed sections independently of each other and changed it based on how they were playing right then and you could see in his face if he didn't like it....with one hand he would quiet the violins on one side of the stage while on the other side brighten the cellos simultaneously and get more vigorous and suddenly switch off if it was too much...he almost knocked his music stand over he got so into it. He was just...one of the most talented conductors I think I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

Now...they have gotten into the habit of showing a video before hand with all these guest conductors since we don't have a permanent conductor since Paavo Jarvi left. One of the percussionists said "This season....this season. It was book ended. We started with one of the greatest living names and a superstar this century as far as musicians go, Itzhak Perlman, who no one can deny is approaching the end of his career with his age and health. Now we are ending the season with an absolute rockstar with Lang Lang who is just starting his career and who we will see so many more things to come."

At first...all I could think was "AND I GOT TO SEE BOTH YIPPEE!!"

Then....while I was driving home...I thought...you know...this is so metaphorical. This last year has seen an end to an old part of my life and I hope the death of my drinking. Right now...I feel so hopeful about the future, and with many good things to come.

There's so much more life has to offer. I wish more of us would see that....

Anyways...Pathetique by Tchaikovsky. If you have NEVER listened to it, please please please. Do yourself a treat and GO find a copy to listen to SOMEwhere, maybe there is one on youtube.

Completely blown away.

Have a really great night and weekend, everyone.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Sounds like a super show, LB! Thanks for the videos—not just for Lang Lang but Guo Gan. I love the er hu, even have a few albums of traditional music. I just checked out a couple more videos. Can't believe I'd never heard of either of these guys!

May is a good month for birthdays
The best, I'd say, since my daughter's birthday is this month. When's yours, Josh?
Old 05-05-2012, 04:25 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Wow LB! I felt like I was there. I wish I could have been. I thoroughly love your enthusiasm! I don't have your knowledge but I love the symphony. I don't get there as often as I would like. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
LDT

Happy your " full report" was submitted today instead of Monday, LB I am a classical musician, having played with symphonic orchestras for many years. ( side note....I had a very strict rule aout not drinking while I was peforming, and amazingly, actually LISTENED to myself for once ). I am one of those people that are turned off by excessive theatrics....BUT.....in Lang Lang's case, and musician's like him, one just knows it's not fake. It's almost like watching someone freely dance as if no one is looking....it's beautiful! Emmaneul Ax is the same way. So, I just close my eyes while listening The Cincinnati Orchestra is indeed wonderful. The city is brimming with musical venues.....lucky you! Enjoy!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Have a great weekend everybody! I'm doing okay coming of the pain meds. Advil doesn't take care of all the pain, but I'm okay with that. I'm just not one for pain management I guess.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Re-Member

R&A,
I guess that is a heckuva mix! We used to say in SAC "Peace is our profession," (The official motto to which we would add) bombing's just a hobby. Sorry it took so long to respond, I was working and a buddy came over with his giant air conditioned tractor with a big 7 foot road grader sled with blades to redo my gravel drive. MY tractor couldn't even pull it. In an hour my 300 foot drive was regraded and all the gravel brought back up to the top. It was only 80 degrees but I was cold inside the tractor and loved it.
LB Great videos, I hadn't heard of, or heard, Lang Lang before, terrific videos. I was really impressed with Guo Gan and what he could do with one string. I have had several folks I could not look at when they performed like Joe Cocker early on, but he was just into it. Guess in the classical world that is a no no because I saw some comments to that effect.

Thanks again to all, and Josh around here May is a good month for B days as my oldest son will be 39 this coming Monday and on the 20th my Significant Harassment will be , ummm, errr, having a birthday too. My other son is the 28th of December as we needed a tax deduction that year and he just made it.

LDT that is interesting!

Akasha, I take a 500 mg single pill in the AM and sometimes another at night of Naproxin Sodium or the generic of Aleve. It is the only pain pill I would ever take because before I did not want to mix alcohol with some of the things like oxycontin they tried to prescribe for me. Mine are for Dupuytren's Contracture which I have a mild case of in my left hand middle and ring finger. Just sore until massaged and a bit inflamed thus the NSAID. On the other hand, I have five more fingers.

Hope you all have a great weekend, I am off to the Pawn Shop as they also have some guns I need to adjust while there today. I get to come and go as I please. My way today.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  
LDT

I hope you have a relatively pain-free weekend, Akasha.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A cool and cloudy evening here in Ohio. Probably won't get to see the big moon due to it being so overcast. I forgot about it last night and just went to bed. Tonight I'd like to see it if I can.

Quiet weekend here. Ck was home from school packing up/getting rid of her stuff for her move across the country next month. I'm going to have to get a web cam so we can really talk to each other. What I know about webcams (and computers) could fit on the head of a pin so will have to ask my neighbor to help me buy it and install it. Ck said to get one with a mike.

Hope you all had a lovely weekend.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
LDT

HIGHLY recommend the whole Skype thing, least. It's a very good thing....I use it with my kids all the time. I do hope you get to see that moon. It's worth losing sleep over.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

I saw the moon about 2 in the morning. It was beautiful!
Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

I'll second the moon rave review—I woke my daughter up and carried her outside, it really was a super moon.

I'll also second the Skype recommendation. Gotta love video calls—the kiddo talks to her grandparents via Skype almost every week. And no long-distance charges!

Hope everyone has a nice week!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

i got mooned from some kids in a car?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

That's one thing I've never done....

Super moon....
And lord with my super a...
I mean...

I completely forgot about the moon until it was already past and I was up until 3:30am too. Pfft. I saw it super bright and was like "DOH! THE THINGY!" Ran out to look and was toooo late. Saw a nice bright moon though . Ah well ^^;. I've seen plenty as that was a huge thing of ours while I was growing up.

Akasha, I really hope you are able to find a regime that works for you to control your pain.

So far, I have been able to back down my Lyrica to 2 a day now, instead of 3 a day. 1. I was sick of the high feeling. 2. I was sick of the memory/confusion problems that were constant. 3. I was sick of not being able to remember words I wanted to say/sounding plain ********. 4. I have lost NO weight since I went on it....and I was doing so well (76 lbs from Feb to the day I went on it Jan 26th...then 5 lbs on immediately and got those 5 lbs off then nothing since). I'm really watching my symptoms and I haven't had any migraines, I haven't had any facial tics, any facial pain at all...I've felt clearer headed BIG time. In the last 14 days I've lost 7 lbs too and I haven't changed my diet. If any of my symptoms return, I will go back on it and schedule an appointment with my doctor. I can't take the mental fuzziness.

LDT...so...insanely cool. 'Nuff said.

As for Skype...I use it all the time! Definitely recommended!!!