Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 5

Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Dee glad to hear it bud. I get frustrated easily when my real world interferes with my inner world. I jusy sigh and go with it and usually find that I needed to get out of my shell as it were and just relax some.

Manz sounds like you are in the pre comfortable stage of building a life from scratch. Not bad when you consider where we started out huh?

I am going to try to use today to the max, I am always grateful and a positive person. Funny, that can be taken for granted as well. It seems like no matter where I go, there I am.

LB that is a very nice system! I am impressed that you build your own. Not a lot of the kids today do. It is hard to build a smartphone or a tablet/notebook/netbook/thinbook, other than to change a battery or sim card. Desktops are all that are left. No, I ordered an H330-77804LU factory direct from Lenovo already built, with twice the RAM and drive that NewEgg had it fior onsale, and cheaper to boot. I do clean out infections for friends but am no longer tech-ing for fun and profit. Today it is like watching paint dry it is soooooo boring running utilities to restore or clean one out when possible and waiting hours for them to finish. I am still loading Window updates on that Vista Laptop I cleaned out by doing a factory restore in the end after two days of fighting the lil booger. Root kits are a bear to remove. Today I order a screen for a 17 inch HP dv7 laptop and then R&R the old broken one. That is more fun as it is engaging.

I am really glad you were able to contribute your time and support to the walk and the candle light vigil and stay for the speeches. I hope many there were not victims and became more aware because of their participation.

I installed my second solar motion detector outside light system that works great. I first tried a dual head LED one from NewEgg.com on sale at 24 bucks that works great in one of the carports, and now a quartz bulb 34 dollar one from Harbor Freight that works great so far on the side of the workshop building after charging for three days and one night of testing. I will need just one more and the choice will now happily be harder to make. Both are surprisingly effective and brighter than expected, among so much cheap junk out there in solar lights, let alone motion detector equipped.

The weight is hard to get off because I am not doing what I need to do and can do to drop it. It is a will do not a trying to do. But then again I am either all the way on, or all the way off. Just self indulgent. Gee wonder where that came from? (Cue old SNL Church lady voice) Could it be . . . . ALCOHOL ABUSE?

Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Kablume, I wish you the best with your medical issues. You will be in my thoughts.

Welcome to all the newcomers. Great to have you here.

Have a great weekend everybody.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Well as long as we're talking computers... I've a 2005 Macbook Pro that I've been thinking about fixing up for myself. It still works great, but the battery's totally dead and the HD is only 80 Gb and getting sloooooow. I was thinking of swapping out the battery, swapping out the HD for a SSD, upping the RAM (i think I can go to....4 or 8 gig?) and upgrading to the newest Mac OSX. That way I could still use it for surfing the web, writing, schoolwork, etc.

Hopefully I haven't offended anyone by bringing up Macs, lol.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

****{kab}}}
Old 04-27-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Josh,
Naaa, no one will be offended. Sounds like a plan! Macs are personal computers too. However, several folks make it clear that computer stuff is not an interest. Kind of likr driving a car and not caring about how to repair it, just driving and leaving the repairs to others.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's why God made mechanics and IT guys Itchy

D
Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

So true, Dee.

I think getting sober has made me start to care about my stuff more than I used to. I used to do a terrible job of taking care of my possessions; getting regular oil changes, keeping stuff cleaned up and workable. Since getting sober I think I've gotten better about that stuff, but still have a long way to go.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Offended by a Mac, Josh? My whole life runs on OSX and iOS. Your plan for new hardware sounds solid: I actually am contemplating turning an old MacBook into a music/video server. I'd just suggest that before you purchase the new OSX, check the processor and makes sure it meets the requirements... I think the most recent OSX incarnations require the Intel chips that Apple switched to using a couple of years ago...

Kablume and everyone else dealing with medical issues: I hope you guys get clear answers and start feeling better soon.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry for my brevity today - today I am battlin' a little with back spasms.
hugs for all who need 'em
Old 04-27-2012, 10:54 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
Offended by a Mac, Josh? My whole life runs on OSX and iOS. Your plan for new hardware sounds solid: I actually am contemplating turning an old MacBook into a music/video server. I'd just suggest that before you purchase the new OSX, check the processor and makes sure it meets the requirements... I think the most recent OSX incarnations require the Intel chips that Apple switched to using a couple of years ago...

Kablume and everyone else dealing with medical issues: I hope you guys get clear answers and start feeling better soon.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm pretty sure that it was one of the first macbooks to use the intel processors, so I'm probably ok on that front.

It'd be great to put it to better use. Right now I just have it connected to the stereo and use it as a home sharing hub for itunes on my other computers. It works pretty well like this, but it seems a shame to use a box that cost so much just a few years ago as little more than a conduit for streaming music.

I bought a Mac mini last year for next to nothing and maxed out the ram. I've been using that computer for my home recording and it's surprising to see how much I can actually run on it at once. It's pretty crazy, since when I was in school for audio engineering just 7 years ago you would have had to plunk down $2500-3000 for a similarly equipped machine that would only run half the amount of audio processing you can do on this thing.

Anyways, let me know if you end up going the server route on your macbook; I've always been interested in that concept.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:55 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
sorry for my brevity today - today I am battlin' a little with back spasms.
hugs for all who need 'em
Hope your back feels better soon!
Old 04-28-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

we got your back too dee
Old 04-28-2012, 04:02 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Rest that back Dee!!!
Old 04-28-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Dee,
Man that really is aggravating. Hope you can get back to feeling better. Working online makes it even worse when your back is acting up, I know.

Josh, I found the same thing. I was letting things go or half assing them when I was drinking. I was amazed at how sloppy I had become with normal maintenance of my own things.

Getting sober really is a sobering experience!

Good idea on using your equipment. I will have a spare very small desktp as a spare once I set up my new system. I will be swapping out the 1TB hard drive for a 320 spare drive I have so I can downgrade my current system to a server. I may just make it a home theater PC. It has an HDMI out on it so the main connection is already there.

R&A, I,m hoping to be able to say the same thing after Oct of this year except MS. I am running Windows 8 now as a beta called the Consumer Preview. Right now I am typing this on the virtual keyboard of my Galaxy tab 10.1, and my Galaxy phone is also an Android OS. I am hoping that with 8 MS will have a unified ecosphere similar to Apple. I detest Google and Facebook and the advertising driven invasion of privacy they have as a business model. I would dearly love to get completly away from Google anything.

My vertigo is almost gone and I may be able to drop the meclizine in another week or two. I hate taking anything more than a naproxin sodium.

Oh well, I couldn't sleep and got up to read here at 4:30 AM and now am getting ready to head back for a couple more hours of shut eye.
TTYL
BTW this virtual keyboard isn't half bad.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

heat pack seems to help - hopefully tomorrow will be better

D
Old 04-28-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

Hope things continue to improve, Dee. Back pain sucks O_O.
Kablume....so so sorry. I really hope they give you some answers and a plan of action. That is very scary....
You all lost me on the PC stuff. I'm good when it comes to using them for gaming, etc. When it goes to applying them for home theatre systems yada yada....no idea. I'd love to lear but I don't have the attention span. I'd love to blame the drink but I have a feeling it's really all the gaming over the years. It's made me a bit ADD-ish and I don't have the patience, anymore. My eyes glaze over and like 2 minutes later I'm like....huh? WHERE'S MAH FOCUS?
If you find it, please send it back to lotus. Thank you kindly.

I was making my smoothie for dinner last night (at 10pm) and turned away....looked back and there's green goop coming out of the bottom of the blender...what the heck? Then I smell a kind of burning smell. "Oh...no." I turn it off. Ya....there's "engine goop" as my technical term works all over the bottom side of the container....and a little mini puff of smoke rises from it. It will still turn on, but I am wondering if it's safe to use at this point. I'm like...my Vitamix. Ugh.
Why I was making it at 10pm is that I picked up my car at 7pm last night. It didn't need new shocks or struts AND the suspension coil wasn't bad. The noise that sounded like the suspension coil was the bolts holding the sway bar in place had snap and on the passenger side that was worse, the bracket that had the bolts broke in half. Lol. That with the oil change and tire repair was a couple of hundred. He couldn't do the transmission flush because he ...didn't have the tool.
I was talking to him and he said "Well, the transmission isn't acting up, right?" Me: "No." Him: "Then I would call around to dealerships and get a quote since you're going to have to go to a dealer to get that done and just save up for it. It's not super critical at the moment."
So...my blender is kind of super critical because my smoothies aren't a dessert. They are my dinner every night. I think I am going to go ahead and get that and then in a couple of months get the transmission flushed.

Anyways....I hope everyone is feeling better by the end of the day (or through it) and can enjoy their weekend.
Talk to you all later!
Old 04-28-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

( Tried posting about 10 times last night and IT WOULD NOT POST....... I was very grumpy because I was already grumpy and this made me grumpier....for a while.

Anyway...... what I was trying to post was........)
Old 04-28-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Seee.............. i was trying to post a quote, and it would not allow it.......AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I took the quote out and ..................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now I have started the day like this

All I wanted to say waaaaaaaaaaaas

quote marks..... When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.......quote marks Jimi Hendrix

If this works then the Mods need to do soemthing about the use of quote marks......cause it has caused me .......

See I am grumpy..............
Old 04-28-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

So much for my PEACE.......................
Old 04-28-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Administrator

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace......." Jimi Hendrix

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace......." Jimi Hendrix
looks ok to me Manz?

D