SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   One Year and Over Club Part 5 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/254660-one-year-over-club-part-5-a.html)

Dee74 04-19-2012 03:26 PM

One Year and Over Club Part 5

we continue from here :)
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/249324-one-year-over-club-part-4-a-21.html

D

ReadyAndAble 04-19-2012 08:29 PM

New thread—woo hoo!!

LB, I am so sorry to hear about your co-workers' family, but glad you were there at just the right moment. Just when he needed a break, he got one, discovering the ideal advisor was someone he already knew and trusted. Thanks for sharing that!

ReadyAndAble 04-19-2012 08:34 PM

Akasha, I'm sorry you have to wait until Wednesday for the results. Hope you can at least rest comfortably until then. I've been plagued by shoulder issues—no fun at all.

ReadyAndAble 04-19-2012 08:36 PM

PS: What the heck is courgette?

Dee74 04-19-2012 08:47 PM

kiwi forZucchini:D

D

ReadyAndAble 04-19-2012 08:59 PM

Hmmm. LDT could be on to something. It's hard to imagine any bread that Reeses wouldn't make better...

Manz 04-19-2012 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Once again I say.........some people are poopy!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrr. Shame when it is your team leader! This is what I will hold on to........

Manz 04-19-2012 09:34 PM

Courgette, courgette, courgette........... say that 10 times fast.....

Rusty Zipper 04-20-2012 02:46 AM

kagoots

LotusBlossom 04-20-2012 05:03 AM

You know, Manz, I will say one thing. THANK YOU. I have played on a website now since the end of 1999. They have several items with the ingredient courgette in them and I've been thinking it's some "made up fantasy" ingredient. Slowly over the years other "made up fantasy" ingredients I've been discovering are actually names for vegetables and deserts elsewhere and stuff. I thank you for the bottom of my heart for finally making sense of the following items on that website: Courgette Farming, Courgette Collecting, Courgette Building Logs, Courgette Boat, Courgette Pull Along, Courgette Bread, Fried Courgette, 101 Recipes For Courgettes, Courgette Ball, Yellow Courgette, Vegetarian Stuffed Courgette, Jelly Courgette, Meaty Courgette Slice, Jammy Courgette Slice, Cheesy Courgette Slice, Courgette Ice Cream...

And well you get the idea.

Suddenly I feel like having some shrimp.....

Shrimp

Have a great day all ^^.

LotusBlossom 04-20-2012 06:09 AM

OH. I forgot to mention!

Take Back the Night

I signed up for an event next Thursday night. It's called "Take Back the Night". It's a walk across one of the bridges here in Cincinnati honoring those victims of domestic violence and sexual abuse along with those who lost the fight. Afterwards, there's some speakers, MUSE is performing and then there is a candlelight vigil back across the bridge on the river until 11pm.

My mom asked me to do the first walk from 6-9pm. I signed up for both events. I was like not only do I get to do something I am greatly supportive of, but possibly close that gap between her and I just a tiny bit, a total win-win. Then I read about the candlelight vigil. I didn't even know about it (because she isn't staying for it so didn't mention it). I think about that last night we were with my father and him completely blowing his gullet and threatening to kill me...and how lucky we were to have gotten out of there when we did. Then I think about walking across that river what each of those candles will represent and those who weren't as lucky as me....

It seriously is something I've buried so far down for so long. Right after all that happened is when I started drinking on a daily basis. I never thought about any of it, wouldn't let myself, couldn't let myself. Then I think about how much of my life I literally pissed away with drinking...at least I stopped when I did, when I could still make a difference in so many other lives, before it was too late, at least I hope.

I think the mood I've set for myself today now is called: somber.

See you all.

Dee74 04-20-2012 06:21 AM

we do that here too LB - I'm glad you're going :)

D

Pandora1 04-20-2012 06:22 AM

Have a great day everybody! Breakfast this morning was 2 Reeses bunnies!

The MRI took about 45 mins. So hard to lay still that long. Half way through it my nose started itching like crazy and I couldn't scratch it.

Dee74 04-20-2012 06:24 AM

I hate that too Akasha - glad it's over for you tho :)

D

Itchy 04-20-2012 09:53 AM

R&A Thanks I share your sentiments about posting in newcomer's, enjoy your posts there too. I enjoyed that last M. Ward video and song and still haven't gotten further on checking him out, thanks for the reminder, his music and animated stories are great!

RZ still doing good here too. Good to see you as well.

Frances, thank you too! I am trying to post in newcomers more often, but lately real life has gotten better and leave me little time for any online work.

Manz I don't do gardens, my SH however does grow our herbs. She also grows Zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, and peppers. Her Dad does the full bit and we get the rest of our fresh ones from him including Okra. They both grow lemon cucumbers that are to die for. Good luck on your garden.

LDT,
You are here just South of us and it does grow well here. We have sandy Crawfish soil here at our place, and my FIL has the gumbo clay at his and zucchini grows there and here as well as the lemon cucumbers equally as well. He does Muscodine grapes, and figs too. But he can't grow watermelon or cantaloupe as well as here.

LB when I get accused of being wise or having "vision" in my careers I tell folks I only know one universal truth; We are here to help each other. Good on you for opening up to your co-worker Lex. It says a lot when he felt comfortable enough with you to ask. Now your walk and getting closer to your Mom, and the vigil are just your opening up to that truth. And you've nailed the alcoholics hardest obstacle to overcome. I believe it is getting back to being humble yet both having our self-respect and self-love back, while getting rid of the selfish and self centered.

I like to think of it as not throwing out the baby with the bath water. When we are young and first begin to realize we are grown up adults we tend to be told to try to act more serious and mature instead of childish. Problem is that many of us throw out the childlike sense of wonder along with the childish selfish behaviors. Then when we become alcoholics we have to go through the whole thing again as we try to "act" "sober."

I think some have twice the trouble when they have gotten rid of their child like sense of wonder, and only regained the childish as an alcoholic. They will have twice the trouble staying sober because they sense something missing and drink was the solution for a long time. I believe that those with that kind of trouble are trying to recapture the child like sense of wonder, and threw it out so long ago they not only have trouble finding it again, heck many can't even name what is missing.

Then there are folks like Manz, who are actively getting that gift back again. She sees it. Many will skip right over that and not retain the lessons of a child. Be like us with your own inner child. It has nothing with childhood, and everything to do with self forgiveness. We can each cultivate our inner child, because we know what each one needs so well, and alcohol is not one of them.

I hope Y'all have a great weekend, I know I will. I just ordered a new desktop computer and am not looking forward to the changeover as it is for my main system replacement, so I have to redo the whole home networks and shares and permissions. Everyone says they would like to get one but for me it takes weeks until I am happy with one so it is always a big effort and for a week takes most of my time. So around the first week in May I may be AWOL.
:thanks

Manz 04-20-2012 02:02 PM

Is that what I am doing Itchy? Bahahaha :nana:

Lotus.... Hugs firstly, it is never easy to face past challenges that we have kept hidden. I can totally sit with you on that. I did find though that once I had truly looked those difficult times in the past directly in the face and could honestly explore my feelings...I came to a place of forgiveness(of myself which was silly but thats the way it rolls sometimes) and a place of peace...finally! I hope you find the candles to be glimmers of light & hope guiding into a future filled with some peace.

Akasha.....reeses bunnies??? Oh dear I have sooo much to learn.

Itchy.... I have a few plants of capsicum(bell pepper to you I think) that have lovely huge big green peppers waiting to be picked, but I am waiting to see if it is true that if you leave em on long enough they do in fact turn red. I prefer red as they are less bitter! We shall see.

Dee.....don't you guys say courgette over the the ditch there? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I think I might make banana bread today(Dont know what that is really but have heard about it so will give it a go). Also Weeman has a mate coming for a sleep over tonight so there will be testosterone flowing......yep even at the ripe age of 5. I also need to do the shopping...yuk. It is sunny too, can't understand where our autumn is.......but I'm soooooooo not complaining!

Have a lovely Saturday when you get to it folks. :shine8pl:

Dee74 04-20-2012 02:15 PM

nope never heard of a courgette before I met a kiwi :)

D

Itchy 04-20-2012 04:21 PM

Zucchini is the Italian word for it but all squash originally came from . . . The Americas. According to wiki it was exported to the old world in the 1800s. Courgette is the French word for it. OMG! I felt a kinship towards the UK and its old colonies, especially down there, but were the Kiwis unduly French????
:gaah

Manz I don't know if she is growing peppers this season. No we don't call them capsicum however we do use a lot of oleo resin capsicum up here!
:c021:

Akasha I do hope your MRI shows your docs what you need, and hopefully it is what you want, as well. I have had both the open and the closed MRIs and neither is fun. Glad you got through it OK. They offer drugs here for us if we want them to make us snooze through it but we have to have a driver home. I always forgot the driver but that was before I quit drinking alcohol so I sure could have.

least 04-20-2012 04:48 PM

Nothing new to report here from the wilds of Ohio. Enjoying the peace and quiet of my home now that dk is moved out for good.:) Just me and the dogs and that's just how I like it.:)

Happy that we're in the middle of spring here and things are blooming. Makes my mood go up when I can be outside. Dog walks in the sunshine are very theraputic for me.

Tickled pink to know I'm coming up on two and a half years in June.:) Didn't think I had it in me... Glad I was wrong.:)

Rusty Zipper 04-20-2012 06:11 PM

wow least, time does fly!