Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 15

Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Such wonderful news at home and work and life PBC! So glad to hear all about it!

Happy good work Dave, you go get 'em! When can you go fishing again to recharge?

Good morning over here. My running buddy has the day off so we hit the gym at the decent hour of 7:15. Such luxury!

Getting excited about running my 4th half marathon Sunday....which is also my 45th birthday. My shirt will say, "This is What 45 Looks Like." It's a women-only event sponsored by More Magazine, which is a fashion mag for women over 40. Women of all ages run it but this race attracts some seriously strong, fit older women. Whoot!

I'm feeling shy about the attention because a bunch of people are coming to see me run. It's about me, and it's not about me, if you know what I mean. It's about celebrating health and happiness in my running community. All I have to do it start running at the beginning and not stop until the end.

Husband was in the City last night late with a team dinner with his co-workers. It's so wonderful that he LIKES his co-workers enough to WANT to do that. I'm grateful he's part of a professional community that respects his talents and contributions.

TO WORK! Sending sunny spring energy to all.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Editor

frances---I hope that you realized that was a joke last night. As in I was being the pompous jerk telling you what to do....get it.

PBC- that is outstanding news!!!!!I have been trying to get into a 4 day work week for years.....the hospital just will not go for it......something about being here and patient care and all that stuff.Good on you!

mirage-I have your boy on my prayer list as well as you.
Now break on through to the other side!( mystical keyboards overtake the words and life seems so simple)

Bryan glad that you had a wonderful Easter.

Dee- you have my boys on your avi.......Well you know what I mean. S&G.

Aussie- I hope that all is well

Lofty- I think that I will be going to the night games for a while until I get use to the whole idea of the day games and no beer. I know that sounds silly to many people, but hey....it is what it is. Hope the Kids and fam are doing good.

Peace
Dave
Old 04-11-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Thanks for the shout outs, Dave!

Awesome progress, PBC! I'm striving for a 4 day weekend, but I've found it doesn't pay as well.

I think I found a back office person today. I've been talking to a friend who has spent almost his whole career as an admin for executives. He's in my men's breakfast, and is having a real tough time getting employment. But, I think he's got a lot of skills that I can utilize to expand my biz. We are talking turkey tomorrow a.m. I hope he's willing to accept turkey as his pay...

Busy day today. Big appt at 1. Lots to do to get ready.

Got a great deal on a whiteboard for my office yesterday on Craigslist. It's at least a $500 unit for $50. Has doors, corkboard, the whole nine yards. And, it fits on the wall. Nice. I love great deals. Plus, it wasn't being sold due to a shutdown, but an expansion and upgrade, which makes me feel much better about it.

Have a great one, everybody!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Editor

frances I am trying to set up a trip for friday.!
Dave
Old 04-11-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Dave, your banana clearly has the best moves of the bunch.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

GREAT day today at WW. Have I mentioned that I love my job?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad things are going so well PBC

D
Old 04-12-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers! Busy day ahead for me ... I'm on tv in a couple hours, then my therapist appointment, then filling in at the boutique for a while before going to Grand Haven to coach a leader there tonight. And then tomorrow I have OFF.

I told the boutique owner yesterday that I'm dropping weekends. I told her there's no hurry, though ... I can keep them until she's able to find someone else. I'm just so amazingly excited to have weekends off soon!

How are you all today? How about a qotd: Did you play any sports growing up? Do you still play any? What activity would you like to learn to do?

I did not. Well, I played powderpuff football, but that's not really a sport. I am coordinationally-challenged. A few years ago I took belly dancing, though, which was really fun. I'd LOVE to take more of that one day! (and everything is more fun when you're wearing a jingly scarf around your hips!)
Old 04-12-2012, 03:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

And line dancing. That would be fun, too!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I was rather sports challenged as well. I didn't grow up in a sports household, so I had no pre-acclimation to the games and had to learn them from scratch. That became very obvious when I stole the ball and ran downcourt unchallenged to make a beautiful layup...in the other teams basket! So, I played baseball, and was good, but lacked confidence, and eventually dropped out. I wasn't allowed to play football, and am now glad. I gravitated to individual sports, and was fairly competitive at swimming. My strokes were butterfly and freestyle; sometimes back stroke. I also developed a mean game of racquetball, which I loved, and played, casually, in college. Once out of college, I got a boat and started waterskiing. I was getting good enough for trick skis when I broke my leg and dislocated it at the knee in a water skiing accident. I almost lost it, as the artery was crushed and leaking and it took hours to get to the hospital. But, they saved the artery and thus the leg, but not the orthopaedic damage. My sports days were over. Now, 4 surgeries later, I need a new knee, and am staving it off until I'm at least 50. I can swim and cycle, both of which are good for my knee, but any impact activity is out, as I have severe laxity and arthritis. That injury was a life changer for me, as I had previously been indestructable, and lost a lot of activities, and some friends from those activities in the process. Instead of mourning the event like the passing of a friend, which I should have done, I let it send me to a depression, resentment, and darkness that interplayed with the development of my addictions. My loss. I know now that its true that 90% of life is not what happens to us, but how we react/respond to it. Its taken 25 yrs to learn that lesson, but better late than never!

Don't mean this to be such a downer, but I am glad you asked. I needed to articulate all that!

And....I only wear my jingly scarf once a year at the airport after I've had my summer haircut!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey folks...glad to hear everyone's doing well! Congrats on the job, PBC. To answer your question about the Legos...just the younger one does them, and yes he's always wanting a kit. He does the Lego Star Wars ones. He sets up wars with the storm troopers and had a bunch of different weapons, and then video tapes it with a digital camera. Believe it or not there's a ton of Lego Star Wars videos on Youtube. He likes to watch those.

I played tennis in high school, doubles. I was pretty good..played Varsity my first year and was seeded 6th at State my senior year. Haven't played in a long time cuz I needed a third arm to play, as my other two were busy with a cigarette and a beer.

Wow Lofty..sorry to hear about that accident and all that went with it. Sad.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I had a 'poor me, I can't party anymore' moment today in the car. Stupid Bruce's Born to Run. Brought back memories from the dorm days. ~sigh~ I actually teared up. Little frustration bubbling up there, I guess.

T's getting his tooth pulled tomorrow morning. I'm nervous. Dh is out of town. Did I mention I'm nervous?

(LOL@ your jingly scarf comment, Lofty.)
Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((mirage)))

dorm days are gone..and drinking wouldn't bring them back.
We're older - and wiser - and we have great lives...right now

Don't listen to that sneaky little booger

D
Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee...that's all true. It's like I'll be cruising right along and something will just pop up like that and smack me in the face and it reminds me that I'm not who I'm so used to being. At times that's overwhelming. Sometimes I don't know what to do with that.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you'll get to a point you're kinda glad you're who you are now - you're Mirage version 2.0 - the upgrade

D
Old 04-13-2012, 01:29 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Dee's right. Hang in there Mirage. I've had those moments as well, but they'll pass. Sometimes, we just have to change the station. It's not that we are denying that part of our past forever, we just need to see through it for now. I had a beautiful stroll down memory lane yesterday morning that involved great memories without any triggers. So, try to recall the positive moments without the booze when triggers like that happen. I can work out nicely!
Old 04-13-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good morning, all!

((((Mirage))))) I love your tender heart.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Morning! Happy Friday! And happy day off PBC! (Will call you a bit later, sorry I missed your calls yesterday.)

Mirage, I'm glad you shared about your moment with Bruce. Crazy how those sneaky Triggers try to get us, right? I think Dee & Lofty are right on target. Those moments are a part of our past, and they helped us get to this better place today. Hope today is sunshiny for you.

Sports: I swam on a swim team until I was 13. I've always loved to swim. Then.....nothing, nada until I was 33 and fell head-over-heels in love with sea kayaking. That's been such an amazing blessing in my life, to be able to be one with the ocean. And then....18 months ago, discovering that my legs can take me running!

Did you all see Lofty's awesome post yesterday? So inspiring and spoke right to the Newcomers with hope. I loved that link someone posted about brain function bouncing back. I agree that my brain is much better in 13 months. I can recall names & words things quickly that were lost in a fog before. Lofty, I'm PSYCHED for you that you are rediscovering all your brain's amazing abilities!

We went to our 9 year old friend's science fair last night, so fun being Auntie and Uncle to "our" kid.

Rest day today for my legs with lots of stretching....then an easy 3 tomorrow to shake out the kinks.....then 13.1 miles on Sunday!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Good morning, all! Tax day, today. Ugh. But, I'll feel much better when its all done, right?!

Thanks for your feedback, Frances! I liked that link as well. There's hope for replacing many of those brain cells I flushed!

My twins are both working at the snack shack at the Y pool this summer, which means a free family membership for the summer again. I can't wait to get back to daily swimming! I had worked up to 1.25 miles, and that took about 40 min, so that's my new "norm". Then, I'll join the other gym for the winter months, and get my son the membership he's been wanting. I called the Y this a.m. I think I'm about a month from being able to join. Why not reap the rewards of my kids job? We've spent thousands over the years on their sports programs.

Had a pretty good week. Got my professional mug shot yesterday for my marketing and social media advertising. Had to buy the copyright too, as companies are getting funny about that. Good thing, too, with a $250K fine and/or 5 yr prison penalty at stake!

Have a great day, Marchers!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

That's right, Lofty..I remember you swimming last year. My dh swims a lot on his lunch hour, he loves it, too. Yep, that was a great post, and I, too, read that link about the brain. I was always pretty sure my kids made me stupid and not the alcohol.

Sea kayaking..that's so cool, frances. I've been toying with the idea of a kayak for a couple years now. I should just pull the trigger and do it. We've got a ton of lakes around here.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think for the most part I AM happy about my "upgrade". lol. Just sometimes something'll pop up and I'll think "dammit!! I want to be able to do that again!!" Sometimes it's not even as much about physically drinking, it's about going back to that comfort of who I was. Sometimes this still sobriety still feels kinda new to me and I want the comfort of my old habits, to identify with myself again. I know that person, I don't know this person as well. Sounds stupid..they're only habits. I'm not sure why I even have a bug up my skirt about this right now. Part of it might be cuz I have a girls day/night in a week and whenever we discuss the plans on fb, they can't help but talk about drinking all day. I thought I was fine with it, but maybe it's bothering me on a level I wasn't aware of.