Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 13

Old 02-17-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
orangutan

CBT is a great tool if you can master it . Not medical advice but if you can do something to get well without sticking more chemicals in your body all the better.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Morning!

SO Grateful for the wisdom, the honesty, the STRENGTH in our Marcher Family. I am humbled by the opportunity to be in such wonderful company. Thank you.

Have to be quick, because am running. I am certainly fitter than I used to be, and am looking to be healthier.

Honesty. My family relationships are a mess. The best I can do right now, to inflict the least harm on myself, is to be pretty much disconnected. It's non-lethally toxic. The old family behavior patterns tear and eat at me a little bit at a time. My OCD issues with caring for my skin are a literal manifestation of my inner struggles. I am getting better, one day at a time.

CONGRATS ROSIE ON 11 MONTHS!!!

More later my dearest Marchers.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

I'm off to the gym, too! Well, at least I will be when the coffee's ready and I've had my first cup ...

Then I coach a leader at noon, then go to GR for volleyball tournaments all day/night.

Hugs all around!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

2 mile run! Woot!
Old 02-18-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL just reading your posts is making me tired PBC

D
Old 02-18-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
orangutan

Originally Posted by PeanutButterCup View Post
2 mile run! Woot!
I could manage a 2 mile walk.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I could manage a 2 minute stroll, maybe
Old 02-18-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Don't worry, Dee ... I was just an OBSERVER at the volleyball tournament. And they took silver in the silver bracket, which is their best so far this year. (not the most winning-est team she's played on)

QOTD: Do you and your husband/wife have a song? If so, what it it and is there a story behind it?

Jim's and my song was always "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel, because it was the first song we ever danced together to.

A year or two after that, we adopted "Danny's Song" ("even though we ain't got money, I'm so in love with you Honey"). I was thinking about that one on Valentine's Day, and remembering our first year of marriage, celebrating Valentine's at the teensy table in our rented furnished trailer that had gunshot holes in the walls. That song said it all for us, and I'm thankful for those days.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Morning Marchers!

Woot woot on your 2 mile run PBC! Well done! Stroll and walks are good too, especially if they are out in the sunshine.

REST DAY for me. The last 7 days pushed me physically and mentally, and I'm going to regroup and recover and refuel today.

Thinking about the vodka/wine/WeightWatchers connection. LOL, I thought I'd hit on a singularly BRILLIANT scheme whereby I moved to vodka to get more punch for the calories, more drunk with less points. Madness! But that's where I was at the time.

I'm exercising enough that I could eat junk this week, namely dark chocolate covered malt balls. This week, just for this week, I decided I won't eat them and plan better for the nutrients I need. I just got a big container of vegan protein powder and I'm going to supplement my after=workout meal with a shake. Lots of good meals this week, which dark green leafy foods being the focus of either lunch or dinner.

My trainer says, "You can out-train a bad diet forever." <--wisdom.

Husband and I called my parents together last night. They won't call me, because it's a codependent game. "YOU should call US because we are the Old Parents Who Deserve to Be Called and we are MISERABLE and SO VERY VERY SICK." So if I don't call them for 2-3 days, when I do, the first words are about guilt and "WHY HAVEN'T YOU CALLED US?" Um, because when I do, I get THIS?

Anyhoo, when husband is on the phone too they don't play games like that and are cordial and civil.

This sounds like moaning, but it's really not. It's just how things are, and how I can cope better. I can't change them, but I can control how I react and protect myself.

As to struggling with alcohol, I feel so much better because of my AntiD meds, SUCH relief from the dread and worry and DOOM, that I would do anything my doctor said to keep feeling this way. If she told me to stand on my head and dress in feathers, I would. Since alcohol is contraindicated with the meds, I simply don't have alcohol in the picture.

Anyhoo x 2, it's sunny and beautiful today!

We get our friend's little doggie today for 2 days, she's our doggie's buddy. Will be fun!

Hope today is lovely for all of us! XOXOX
Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Frances, I think calling them together is a GREAT plan! Maybe having the majority (or even all) of your communications include him is exactly the boundary that will protect your heart.

Have fun with your extra pooch!

And with the new program, a shot of hard stuff is usually 4, and a 4 oz glass of most wine is 3. The trick for most people is to own up to those actual portion sizes, compared to what they'd been calling a "shot" or a "glass" ... many live in the land of denial (not JUST a river in Egypt ... drum accent, please). :rotfxko But the hard stuff is certainly not a bargain!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeanutButterCup View Post
own up to those actual portion sizes, compared to what they'd been calling a "shot" or a "glass"
This! One thing that's brilliant about WW, imo, is the idea of tracking and owning concrete written responsibility for eating well and healthfully and moderately.

Little visitor doggie is on the couch and my doggie is sniffing noses with her. So sweet! She's allowed on the couch because she doesn't shed, he's not. That's just the rule, it's not about fairness, it's just the rule.

Life is like that. Being abstinent from alcohol is not about fairness, it's just the Rule for me.

More laundry!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

PBC, I agree about portion sizes - I was SHOCKED when I actually measured my intake!

However, if I were on WW and still drinking, I would still take the shot of vodka over 4 oz of wine, the shot has more of a kick to it, IMO, making it worth that extra point. Of course, I'd actually have 3 - 4 shots (or more) and just skip dinner. It is still (an alcoholic) points win over the 6 - 8 or more 4 oz portions of wine I'd have to log in.

Can't have alcohol with my meds either. Never used to stop me, but should have. Does now! I was blessed to actually live through it AND have my organs intact. When I think how easily it could have been me in that tub instead of Whitney, it gives me shudders! God rest her soul.

Rosie
Old 02-19-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Dee, I used to tidy up before the cleaners came as well!

Working on finding it in the budget for someone to come in every other week, but have to do some serious decluttering first. Mainly want someone to clean bathrooms, do the floors, change the beds, the stuff that is harder physically for me to do. Then I will be free to do some other stuff as I am up to it.

Rosie
making pennies squeal ala Dave Ramsey
Old 02-19-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Striving for Balance

Today has not started on good footing. I've been scrambling to get as much done as I possibly can to get my new office (former dining room) functional for next week. I don't have the new doors up, as they won't come in for a couple weeks. But, I've moved in most of the office furniture, and moved out the dining room furniture. I've been cleaning the carpet, mostly from the dog's messes, and getting very frustrated.

This past week I became overwhelmingly disgusted by the stench in our home produced by the dog. Not just normal dog smell, but very heavy ammoniated urine. The basement, which I poured my blood, sweat and tears (as well as umpteen gallons of alcohol) into over the last two years or more. In the last six months to a year, since our dog has become sick, the urination has created a stench that keeps me out of my masterpiece. I have consistently complained when I find pee spots, or sometimes poop spots that no one has taken the time to clean up. Consequently, our house needs new carpet throughout, even some that is only 2 yrs old.

This morning, as I put the third cleaning on the dining room, and was overwhelmed by the renewed urine spell that cleaning brought on, I lost it. I again expressed my awareness that our dog is sick, we can't do anything about it, we can't afford to treat it, and we don't have or take the time to properly care for the dog, or the house it is destroying. This is all on top of the allergies most of us have of dogs. I blew my top, and asked why we are keeping this dog, without proper upkeep.

My wife had heard this for the last time, and after much yelling, cursing, screaming, shouting, blaming, she decided to take the dog and leave for the pound. Don't get me wrong, I am very okay with that as I think its the right thing to do. But, she made such a scene, and blamed me for the whole event, and made sure the kids heard her that this was my thing. The thing is, that I did yell about having had enough of the dog, I didn't say, "get rid of it now or else". I was thinking we should inquire of potential homes, etc. this week. She just looked up a local spca and took the dog to be dropped off. If euthanasia is in the future, they will assess and decide, or try to find it a home.

I am feeling very selfish right now, and very blamed. Of course, I feel like escaping.

I think where my confusion lies is with my wife, not with the dog decision. We both handle our differences SO immaturely that I am certain we've scarred our children about relationships with our modeled behavior. And that sucks. Right now, I'm questioning whether I've just become a dry drunk. I've really made a concerted effort to get my life together this week, and I've been more adamant than usual. I need to be for myself. I've been here before, but I was the one in our relationship that always backed off to keep momma happy. Eventually, I just gave up and gave in, and just drank. Now, I am trying to reclaim my ground in life and in this marriage. And I have to go through hell to do so. This is hard, and I have to remember my resolve to heal AT ANY COST.

Anyway, sorry to be a downer on this Sunday morning, but I needed to get this out. I don't expect everyone to be on board with me. I am an animal lover, but I've learned that I have to be a self lover first.

Peace to all.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Hugs to you Lofty. Hard hard hard stuff you are dealing with today.

My opinion for me is that is a pet isn't working out for the family, and is causing extreme distress and upset and destruction, then it's better all around for the family if the pet is removed from the home. It is my further opinion that for me, humane euthanasia would be the kindest, simplest choice. There's no shame or blame in not being able to afford expensive medical treatment for a pet. Husband and I have discussed what we would and wouldn't be willing/able to do for our dog if he was sick.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Rosie, I am SO glad you are here. God rest Ms. Houston's soul.

I don't know what would happen if I drank alcohol with my medicine but I don't want to find out. I count myself INCREDIBLY FORTUNATE that I was 6 months sober first and desperately eager to feel better.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Lofty, I completely understand about the dog situation.

We have a cat, rescued as a kitten from one of those adoption agencies that work out of Petco, that has been sick all his life. I can't remember exactly right now, but he is between 5.5 and 6.5 yrs old. I have had him to the vet more times than I can count. He is now obese, cannot clean his own bottom, and if I do not keep on top of him with wet wipes and Preperation H, he stinks. He WANTS to clean himself, as evidenced by the patches he has licked clean, as low as he can get.

He ruined the carpet in our living room in our last house, but has gotten much worse in this one: he has ruined the old barn wood floor in our office/library, two sofas, one matching chair, countless area rugs, urinates and deficates all over the house (even on my son's bed, he cannot climb up onto ours). The stench coming out of the office is intense, it nearly knocks me over when I come into the house after being out for a while. We no longer have people, even family, over for dinner. I am seriously ill, and most days just cannot keep up with him, or his hiney, without getting really dizzy or a headache from the bending over.

Anyway, we have been wanting to put him to sleep for the last several years, but we feel so guilty. He is a really sweet, loving cat, not too bright, but the best mouser I have ever seen (we live in the woods, they get in), which is a riot to watch when you see how big he is. He weighs over 20 lbs, part of it seems to be from his breed (mixed, I am sure, but he has strong features of a big cat breed, maybe Maine Coon cat? can't remember), and part is from the deprivation he suffered before we got him. Anyway, picture an elephant or hippo dancing en pointe (on tippy toes), catching mice.

I wish we could get over out guilt and put him and us out of our misery! It needs to be done, he is clearly in pain most of the time, passing BMs makes him cry. I have IBS and can just imagine what his suffering is like.

Honestly, there is a part of me that is embarrassed to take him in and have him put to sleep (hate that expression!), I think about going to a different vet to have it done, in a nearby town.

Somehow, time has just floated by, years of it, and he is still with us. It would help if one of us was allergic, or if we didn't love him so, or if the other cats weren't so attached to him, and if it didn't make my son and I so sad to even contemplate it!

Before you give up on your carpets, try this product, it has helped with our tile and wood floors, but we haven't put serious effort in because he is still here undoing our progress. You will have to really saturate the carpets, as the urine is likely on the subfloor, but it might be worth trying before paying to replace! I have tried all the enzyme things, many different products, this has been the best so far, quite remarkable, really.
Stain Solver Oxygen Bleach

Another thing that is AMAZING - an ozonator. I borrowed one from a friend to get the stench of mouse urine out of a minivan we had sold (buyer saw all the mouse droppings, I told him the dangers, where a mask when vacuuming, etc. Anyway, a friend has an ozone generating box, I put it in the van overnight, the smell was completely gone! Prior to that, the stench was so bad that all the doors had to be opened for a few minutes before putting head inside the van or instant headache. When the man picked the van up, it was closed and sitting in full summer sun, and had been at least a couple weeks since I had used that machine - no odor still! I reminded him that we had not vacuumed, it was going to need something much stronger than what we had, and that he would need something covering his nose and mouth when he did it. He called about a month later and said the van was great. A miracle!

I hope to borrow that machine for the office, combined with several saturations of the Stain Solver solution, and rescue that floor. Will have to sand and restain, however, because it is stained in a bunch of places from the cat urine.

Oh! A blacklite can help you find where the urine spots are. I think it is because of phosphorus, not sure, but it really works.

I am sorry to say that my husband and I fight and behave very immaturely, and I, too, worry about the effect this has had on our son. The good news is that he recognizes it (though quickly learned to keep his mouth shut in the moment), so that gives me hope that he will choose another path. We did not model for him how to deal with stress either, except that we both became alcoholics. He is such an amazing person, though, I think all the prayers helped! I hope so.

Prayers for you and your family,
Rosie
Old 02-19-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Thank you all for the kind support. It's been a rough day, and I have to admit my present relief, and sadness. I just made a big dinner and didn't have the beggar at my feet. It was near her end, but not right at the end, so it made the judgment call that much more difficult. But, tempers have settled all the way around. Sure would like a beer or glass of wine, though. Definitely hitting a meeting tonight.

Thanks again. Glad you are here!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Good morning and wishing everyone a good new start to the Monday (a little late for Dee & Aussie but pretend these wishes are 12 hours ago)

REST DAY! No workouts, no runs.

Rosie just have to say how totally shocked I was too to find out what a single portion of brown rice really is.

Husband leaves today for a Monday-Wed trip. He is traveling a fair bit but I'm going well staying busy.

Setting work goals for this week, I'm going to make them happen!

Our Song: "Our House" by Crosby, Stills and Young

I'll light the fire
You put the flowers in the vase
That you bought today

Staring at the fire
For hours and hours
While I listen to you
Play your love songs
All night long for me
Only for me

Come to me now
And rest your head for just five minutes
Everything is good
Such a cosy room
The windows are illuminated
By the sunshine through them
Fiery gems for you
Only for you

Our house is a very, very fine house
With two cats in the yard
Life used to be so hard
Now everything is easy
'Cause of you
And our la,la,la, la,la, la, la, la, la, la, la.....

Our house is a very, very fine house
With two cats in the yard
Life used to be so hard
Now everything is easy
'Cause of you
And Our

I'll light the fire
And you place the flowers in the jar
That you bought today
Old 02-20-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Editor

Awesome song frances!!!!!
Lofty- When a pets quality of life is to the point were it is a burden on itself and the care taker....it is time to let the pet go. This was advice from my vet many years ago. It never makes the decision easy...but it is a decision we all have to make as pet owners at one point or another.
I hope that everyone is doing fine today.
I am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel...I hope it aint another train coming.
Peace
Dave