Administrator

Class of January 2012 Part 4

The next part of the journey

we continue from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-20.html

D
Old 02-13-2012, 02:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations to everyone! I Havnt posted in awhile but I Just got through Day 36!

Been going to meetings and decided to actually take some medication for anxiety which I actually have to deal with now. Never faced my anxiety sober, always ran away from the thoughts and numbed it with alcohol. Its time to grow and learn new ways to deal with it. Tonight was hard dealing with my social awkwardness, but Im about ready to go to bed alcohol free which definitely out weighs anything else Im feeling.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whew!! Made it through the weekend. Now on day 15, longest time I've had. I wasn't feeling well, laying around the house a lot and getting nothing done but at least I'm sober!

I do hope the weekends get easier. Weekdays are fine so far. But on weekends the thoughts are always there.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dazee, it got easier after 2 weeks for me. I realized I could get through the weekend w/out it. The further away from alcohol I got, the more steam I had to keep going.
I did feel pretty lazy, up & down emotionally. Had alot to face sober for the first time. But I learned to take care of me. One day at a time.
You need time to let your body & mind heal. Be good to yourself. If that means doing nothing, do nothing. Don't stress yourself. Just relax & enjoy today.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Just now noticed this thread, i quit drinking a few days before new years so I'll count that as being january. I am up to day 46.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Meow

Welcome FlyerFan!

Signed, RedWingFan aka PurpleCat :P
Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello January class have not been on alot, I got a cold that is kicking my butt! Take care class
Old 02-13-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

Good afternoon everyone.
Just doing my daily check in. Everything is the same as yesterday except I am one day older. Been busy kicking asphalt.
I am walking my way to sobriety one day and one step at a time.
Have a great day.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Strytone,

I wish you the best with the anxiety! It can be a beast.

My quitting drinking has increased my smoking... but I'm thinking this is just temporary & maybe a way to escape a dinner or birthday party and get away from the booze for a minute. I'll focus on whats important for now & quit the tobacco later.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Class,
I've not been on in a while. Today's been really busy, but a good day too. Was talking to someone today however and it kind of brought home to me the fact that since I've given up drinking and started attending regular meetings, its been a kind of robotic existence. Work, exercise, go to meetings, a regimental routine.
It's like I'm saving myself from myself. Keeping busy because I can't sit with myself, exercising to tire myself, meetings to maintain sobriety. It's like these activities act as a means of releasing all that is built up inside me. I need to try and find what it is I'm running from, what it is I'm chasing. Then again maybe it's nothing. I probably need to vent sometimes and that's ok too. I do find AA meetings are helping me but at times I just feel that is all that I've got going in my life. It's all about keeping a lid on things and that's not very enjoyable.
I want sobriety and have not had it in my adult life so for me, change is not easy. It's not easy but I intend digging in and giving it my best shot. I didn't pick up today, I'm a winner.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Living sober really is a skill Dill....not to put anyone off, but I'd drank for years - I was in a deep hole and it took me time to climb out of that.

I spent most of my first 6 months wondering whether this was all there is, and then most of my first year working things out

I found it takes time to stop drinking, it takes time to learn to stay stopped, and it takes time to be happy and comfortable with that.

Needless to say, it was all worth it though

D
Old 02-13-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Meow

Sometimes at night I get this kind of "what do I do now?" kind of feeling - like there's too much time on my hands. Especially watching my husband fill his time like I used to - with beer. Doesn't make for exciting conversations, I can tell you that, because the drunker he gets the more annoyed I get (although he has cut back quite a bit recently).

I have to go pick up my son tonight at 8:30, which in the past would really have annoyed me because I would not be able to have my usual amount to drink. Now it's kind of good, because at least it gives me something to do tonight.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dill, maybe its normal to have some degree of "nervious energy" that seeks an outlet like exercise, work, writing, painting, etc.? Maybe its all good, if you don't drown it...

Day 29 for me, i'm still with it and have no intention of giving up.

Thanks guys~~~!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

dill-The first two weeks after I decided to become sober I found myself asking the same question over and over again....I'm sober and that's a good thing but what the hell do I do now? The answer I like best is "anything I want" (as long as I'm sober) and I'm still working on what those things can be but I'm having way more fun the last two weeks than I ever did the last 25 years. Living life can be a rut don't be affraid to change up the routine.
purplecat and flyerfan I love seeing hockey fans here and go 'Hawks!!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 44

Hi Everyone. Great weekend. We had a 50th b-day party for my sister. I organized everything and it was a blast. Strange thing was being sober around a bunch of drunk people is funny but not much fun. No one made any sense, but it was sooooo much fun to see everyone so hungover yesterday when I had my coffee and felt like a million bucks!!! I'm still smiling
Old 02-13-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi class-mates!

Day 30 for me and going strong! Its not easy as life still throws me the same old curveballs, only now, I deal with them head on and promptly. Man it feels good to pay my bills on time!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good evening classmates! I had a great Monday but did have some strong cravings (still, after 43 days) this afternoon which is strange because I never drank on Mondays. I don't give in to them and they don't last long anymore. Tomorrow is Valentines Day and I'm going to have to stay away from all the sweets that will be around my workplace. God give me strength!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations lifeanew and gippy

D
Old 02-13-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Just checking in Friends...After a pretty scary experience with my husband's hospitalization, I am really feeling pretty proud of myself that I dealt with the experience without my old crutch. I had a rough moment, while sitting in the hospital room by my husband's bed...my AV whispered in my ear "time to leave now, so you can grab some beer and go home and relax". I was quite surprised by it, and found myself telling my husband. It felt so good to say it out loud, and to laugh about it later as of course I didn't act on it!
Other than that moment, overall I have been feeling much calmer and more level-headed. I feel a lot less overwhelmed by things that would normally have me running to the bottle, and certainly much less anxious and fearful.
Who would have known that, just by no longer drinking, I would have such a better outlook on life!
Hope everyone had a good day, and an even better tomorrow
Old 02-13-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi all... today is day 20? Did have a few thoughts in my head about drinking today. I overheard some of my classmates talking about getting a beer after class got out. I really wanted to go, but didn't. I can tell that this is going to be hard for awhile. I don't quite trust myself yet. Other than situations like that, I've been doing great. No cravings at home or work, or anywhere else that alcohol isn't present. I only seem to get cravings when others around me are drinking (my friend's boyfriend was over here drinking the other day, my fiance told my friend not to let that happen again). Anyhow... can't wait for my 1 month - coming up soon