Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 13

Old 02-20-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Dave! That light is the rescue bus coming to pick you up and take you to Well-Ville. Hoping you are completely back to health SOON.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Glad you are seeing the light, Dave!

Today has been a busy day! I finished moving the furniture for my new office, and started in on the files. The house is a wreck, but I'm seeing the light as well! I can't believe I got such nice quality stuff for such a steal. I'll take a picture of it when I'm done, and post it.

Meeting was good last night. Glad I went. Life is a little more settled today than yesterday. Glad the kids will be back in school tomorrow.

Have a great night all!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:31 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Morning marchers! How is everyone today? Chime in!

Run then class for me.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:35 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Administrator

off to bed for me - have a good day everyone

D
Old 02-21-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Good morning, Marchers! You hafta get up pretty early to beat Frances to the boards!

I was finally sound asleep by that hour. Excited about the day. Have a buyer for my beer brewing eqpt, and found p90x on craigslist for a fraction of orog cost. Kids do it at school and want it at home. And, who knows, maybe there are some I can do too. Wife is also interested. Hope Mirage is enjoying her cruise. This board is quiet this week.

Caught my mouse last night! Bait? Snickers! Yep, it was a fat one.

Cant wait to get to work in my new office!

Dave Ramsey class was a bit disturbing. It was on debt. Lots of candid fact to consider. Its always been a fact of life for us, but a necessary evil. No longer. Now its just evil. A poor soul there was very distraught, and I was able to help pead her in the right direction. I like this class more and more each week. More budget work coming this week.

Hope evreyone has a great day lavishing in sobriety!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Bye bye Mousie! (SUCH an animal love but not in the house.)

Love your energy Lofty woot woot!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Ok, sorry about the typos. Darn droid and fat fingers...a lethal combo. Also I didn't "pead" her, but helped to "lead" her. LOL.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Editor

WOOT! I am here. Very busy! Playing catch up after walking in a coma for a couple of weeks.
Dave
Old 02-21-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Welcome back to the world of the living. Sounds like you were a walking-dead zombie. Sorry!

At some point, you may just have to sweat it all out! I've been lucky so far this season, but I've lost ground on my weight goals. Going the wrong direction!

BTW...if anyone is searching for a snickers, be careful of the ones on my kitchen floor...they bite back!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Editor

I have been in survival mode.....if I gained weight...that means I am still alive....I hate being behind in work...said and did some stupid stuff last week. It was like I was drunk and out of control again....I aint never goin back there.... That was awful.
Now I am in back track mode trying to clean my tracks and get ahead of everyone else again. If this sneezing would slow down for a minute I swear I could make some progress. At least I know my name and can hear this week.

Note to self...there is no 3 second rule at lofty's

I hope all is well and that mirage didnt get abducted by her on line friend. That would make me sad. We miss you mirage.

back to it
Dave
Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

One of the things that irritate me most about not having my health is that I miss out on joining DH on some great business trips. Just in the last few months I have missed four trips to DC, three or four trips to NYC, and next week, a trip to Atlanta. The first two cities I love for the museums, mostly, and the restaurants in NYC (we always stay at the same place, Marriott Marquis in Times Square/theatre district, so I always get discount tickets to shows when there as well, plus I know the restaurants in the area). I make sure to explore all over, DC's metro is so easy and clean, love both cities.

Atlanta, in years past DS and I accompanied DH tons of times on business trips, explored many places in the area, even the fantastic Kangaroo Rescue place - fantastic. BUT, I also have a group of family down that way, and can use DH's provided rental car to go visit. Haven't seen some of them in a few years, really want to go next week, feeling sorry for myself.

Over the years DS and I have had the privilege to visit all over Europe, and many great cities in the US. Since we home educated right through high school, we always made the most of our trips, visiting museums, historic locations, Cathedrals, etc., it was fantastic!

We have TONS of airline points for me to do all this travel, so it only costs us my food. Grrrrr! Enough of rant.

Happy to report that the craving for wine has subsided a bit. Helps that I haven't spoken to my sis in about 1.5 weeks, also that DH has been working in the upstairs office for most of the day (converted spare room, he needed more quiet and separation than downstairs office provides), so he is not talking at me constantly, or ranting about the latest political shenanigans, or whatever.

Rosie
Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Dave! Glad to see you rejoining the land of the living!!!

Lofty, your office sounds like it is coming along nicely, so glad for you! Snickers, huh?! Better the mouse than you Oh! Do you know about the online DR MTMMO forum? It is a paid site, but fantastic knowlege and support, well worth it.

PBC, my DH has put on about 25 lbs since he changed jobs (I think in Nov, might have been Oct, I have timeline memory issues). He used to work out nearly daily at the fantastic, on-site, professionally staffed gym that the company provided AND encouraged usage of, so he began eating much better, and by the time he left there he was in the best shape that I have seen him in ages, he looked and felt great. Anyway, today I mentioned to him about the WW online program (he has been talking about little things he has been doing to try to eat better when travelling, so I took it as an opening), and, now that he has an iPhone, told him about the app to help him when on the road. He is thinking about it. I am hoping, within a few weeks, it will have become his idea, he embraces it and signs up! We'll see. I told him it was the best program for long term success, how great the online features are, and what a help the website is for figuring out best practices for eating out, which he does frequently. Also, figuring out portion sizes, and understanding where the hidden calories are in restaurant food. We'll see!

I am 3 - 8 pounds from my goal weight (will have to determine when I get there!) I think seeing me look so good is inspiring DH, I hope so! This is the LAST time I am losing this weight, I have finally found a way of eating that my body responds well to and that I can maintain for the rest of my life and not feel the least bit deprived

Oh, funny story. Last week DH was in NYC, at the Marriott Marquis, he went to use the gym and it was filled with Secret Service and Mitt Romney was working out. They let him in, he did his thing and left. he told me about it, the next day I saw the tail end of something on the news about Romney having Secret Service, but missed why. Anyway, glad DH is starting to make the time to take advantage of gyms in the places he stays. He teaches all day, grabs a bit, then spends the evening prepping for the next day. He is finally realizing that he needs to make some time for himself.

Dee, I hope all is well with you!!!

Frances and PBC, I continue to be so inspired and in awe of both of you amazing women!

I pray Mirage is having a great vaca!!! Must be hard to be a non-drinker on a cruise.

Aussie, you are in my thoughts and prayers, I know this is a really tough time for you with the party coming, and people staying, etc. Sending you love and strength and hugs and all else God knows you need! Just think of a beautiful, light weight (you are in summer, right?) Marchers love shawl just wrapped about you, and acting as a deflector of all things that might hinder your sobriety, and know we are here for you. Hope you'll check in soon!

Hope I didn't miss anyone!

Love and prayers for you all,
Rosie
Old 02-21-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I'm glad things are looking up, Rosie! But I'm confused why you can't travel; maybe you've said but I don't remember. I think trips away are part of health; for me, a big part of mental health. I can feel the layers peel away with every mile of distance I put between the homestead and myself on those trips. Then, after a suitable time, I can come back with a properly adjusted attitude. I've expecially enjoyed them sans alcohol; they've been more critically needed.

Well, I got the P90X for the kids, and maybe for myself. I'll take a before shot, and if I do it, an after shot in 90 days, and post both for all to see. Don't worry, I'll have at least my scivvy's on. LOL.

My son is psyched, and I am for him. He's been asking for this for a while. I'll just be glad to see our gym get used.

Dave, there must've been something in the air, or maybe it's February cabin fever, but I fell like I was having a dry drunk last week as well. It's better now. For me, a couple meetings helps tremendously. Also, our fellow classmate, who's name escapes me, came on and posted his 6 months anniv., and mentioned two books he read. The first is called "The Addiction Solution" by David Kipper, MD. I'm reading it now. Turns out he's a Hollywood doctor, so I didn't think I'd be impressed, but I am. It's definitely more on the physical side than the spiritual, but that's okay.

I also recommend "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo. I'm reading both on my Kindle and enjoying them immensely.

Has anyone else been getting into "Smash"? I enjoy Debra Messing, and Katherine McPhee. Good show.

Oh well, break's over. Back to it. G'day all!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Rosie, we posted at the same time. Really cool about Romney and your DH. I heard a week or two ago that Romney now has Secret Service 'cause he's raised enough campaign money to earn it. Apparently, there's a threshold.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Lofty, I am enjoying SMASH, the format is interesting, flipping from rehearsal to costumed performance, and the show has some great talent! Hope, before it ends, we get to actually see Marilyn from beginning to end, performed, that would be so cool :-)

Reason I cannot travel is that my health has deteriorated substantially in the last three years, but especially the last 1.5 years. I live with near constant pain in my legs, cannot walk or stand for more than a few minutes, have VERY frequent headaches, and a whole bunch of other fun symptoms. The walking part is what keeps me from travelling. I have to use my walker, which has a seat built in, just to go the four hundred feet down to my mailbox and then make the return trip. Used to be able to do it with just my cane, but now I must sit 3 or 4 times during that little trip.

I am also very weak, all over, and need assistance even bathing, while seated (I have long hair and cannot hold my arms up long enough to wash it, can barely comb it each morning and brush my teeth). One of these days I'll have my hair cut up to around my shoulders! Some days the weakness is much greater than others, just like I have periods of extreme fatigue which require me to nap for hours, and I also have periods of extreme dizziness (can last weeks!). All of these things make it impossible to commit to a plan, as I literally do not know how I will feel in an hour or two, let alone next week. The airlines now charge lots of money to get your points back if you cancel a trip, we have done that twice, don't want to do it again.

I actually have a handicapped placard for my truck now, which I hate but am grateful for. I have missed church at least 3 times in the last month, as a Catholic, you have to have a really good reason, as Sunday Mass is a day of obligation. I was too weak to stand and get dressed, no way I could make it through Mass.

On the rare occasion DH manages to get me to go anywhere, I either have to use the motorized cart provided or be pushed in a wheelchair (I don't have the strength to push myself, plus I damaged my left shoulder seriously years ago, so even if I had the strength I couldn't push my own wheelchair.

It also upsets me because for years I was a daily Mass attendee, and I had to stop a couple of years ago (mornings are my worst most of the time), and also had to give up my volunteer work at our Food Pantry, which I really loved and was one of the assistant managers.

Also hard on DH, he does all the laundry and grocery shopping now, had for at least a year, maybe longer.

Sorry so long! I know that Dee has serious issues, and many people have it much worse than I do. But, I am sick of living in my recliner, that is the size of my world, and has been for over a year.

Anyway,
Rosie
Old 02-21-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Home from class and jumping on a conference call.

LOVE the gentle lightweight Marchers Shawl that Aussie can wrap herself up in if she wants.

Rosie, I'm sorry that your health isn't better and sending vibes for you to feel relief and strength today. ********}}}} I am not a practicing Catholic but I remember from childhood that receiving Communion is a blessing and a sacrament. Is it possible for someone from your congregation to help you receive Communion at home regularly?

Just wrapped up a phone meeting, going to do something else productive.

So far today I have been mindful of using moisturizer on my fingers to keep my cuticles neat so I won't badger them. I have eaten healthfully today and intend to eat well the rest of the day. Yesterday I had a less-healthful eating day that involved a pint of pistachio gelato. I didn't feel well afterwards, so that's how I know it wasn't a good choice. Just for today, I will eat healthfully and take care of my body.

Onward Marchers!
Old 02-21-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

MMmmmm....pistachio gelato. Love it. We have a shop on our bike trails that serves it. So happy for the positivism you exude, Frances! Sounds like a productive day for you.

Me? In my new office organization, I found all the docs that should be at the safe deposit box and took them there. Picked up Rx's shopped for this Saturday's chili cookoff, and picked up my son from school. Let him drive home...oh well, I guess I've jumped a few curbs as well.

Rosie...I am so sorry to hear of your debilitating pain. I had no idea it was as severe as it is. Do you know the cause of it? I will place you into my regular prayer list. I usually pray for my SR friends, but will remember you especially. I have fought pain for the last 25 years of my life, but on a much lesser scale than either you or Dee. I'm so glad you have SR and DR MTMMO, which I will likely join. Didn't you say it's included in the 90 day program? I'll have to check. The program is changing me for the better. I used to work for a Lutheran fraternal organization similar to Knights of Columbus, and miss very much the aspect of helping others without expecting a return. I am looking into how I can become an ELP.

Ok...I've been breaking my new rules of twice a day checks on SR, but today has been a day that I've needed this. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the stacks of files. So, I'm sort of procrastinating, but in a good way.

See y'all later!

Hang in there Aussie! Let us know what we can do to help!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry to read you're dealing with all of that Rosie.
Do the Drs have any idea of treatment?

I know the feeling of having your world shrink on you - that was what got me into my 'end stage' drinking...I'm glad we both sprung ourselves from that trap

How I deal now is...some days are better than others, but I'm never less than grateful - however much of a prison my body might feel like, my mind and soul are free.

I always try and stay connected with other people...even if it is just online a lot of the time

I really hope you'll find some answers soon Rosie

I have many blessings - and friends like you, like all you guys, are one of them Rosie

On the Catholic issue: I used to get a lift to Mass, and like Frances said I've known of people who get home communion - are any of those an option?

D
Old 02-21-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
orangutan

Originally Posted by RosieTheRiveter View Post
Can't have alcohol with my meds either. Never used to stop me, but should have. Does now! I was blessed to actually live through it AND have my organs intact. When I think how easily it could have been me in that tub instead of Whitney, it gives me shudders! God rest her soul.

Rosie
This really worries me about giving meds to alcaholics , I was taking Effexor and it is listed in the side effects that it can cause alcahol abuse it also says you should not drink while taking it , but my alcahol use went of the chart and I should also be with Whitney right now. I wish I had done some research before I had started .
Old 02-21-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
orangutan

Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals View Post
Hang in there Aussie! Let us know what we can do to help!
You could make the potato salad .LOL.
Hey lofty so glad you finally caught that mouse.

Dave glad your feeling better.

****{Rosie}}} sorry about your health .

Frances * I am secretly happy that the super fit one of us has a moment of weakness with eating gelato*

Miss you Mirage I hope your having a good time.

PBC and Dee *Hi*