Notices

Class Of October 2011 pt 6

Old 02-08-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tanja View Post
1. Warm beverages (hot chocolate, tasty teas)
2. Grattitude that I am in a nice warm home
3. Great opportunity to spend more time on SR, read, watch a good movie
4. When is snows, admiring the beauty
Good Ones!!! It is pretty to watch snow falling. Very peaceful! And my hot cup of coffee is never out of arm's reach in the winter.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Winter's nice in the car, too - putting the demister and heater on full blast with a steaming cup of real coffee in your hand.

Last week I got fed-up with myself having given up pretty much everything (Cigarettes, booze, caffeine, - what else is there?) so, in an outrageous act of defiance, I bought some proper caffeinated coffee and made a big jug and drank the lot. I'm sorry, Sobertobes, but it's true - I really did it.

Anyway, this went on for a few days, but I kept getting the jitters and feeling strange with headaches and I never get headaches, so, I've gone back to decaf. I was just wondering if this is a class effect and any attempt to return to my old red wine ways would be similarly short-lived. Probably not, but you can all imagine the experience gave my AV a new lease of life.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by General View Post
Last week I got fed-up with myself having given up pretty much everything (Cigarettes, booze, caffeine, - what else is there?) so, in an outrageous act of defiance, I bought some proper caffeinated coffee and made a big jug and drank the lot. I'm sorry, Sobertobes, but it's true - I really did it.
My goodness - you went all out giving everything up! I'm impressed! I have to admit too - I *LOVE* my coffee. I've tried quitting before but quitting does nothing for me. LOL It is my beverage of choice ... all day long ... sipping

You deserve a HUGE pat on the back for giving up booze *and* cigs. That is really amazing. How did you do it? Did you just make up your mind? I've never tried cigs but they seem like a very hard habit to break judging by some of my relatives.

As for coffee - bummer that it makes you jittery etc... For me - my body finds it oh-so-relaxing. Puts me right to sleep in the evening - and I'm not joking. I'll get all set up to read/knit/watch movie - comfy chair, blanket and a big, fresh cup of coffee -- zzzzzzzzzzzz. When driving on long trips I can't drink coffee - I have to chew ice. That works like a charm.

Now, I must confess that I've developed an occassional crush on Red Bull. Augh! I'll go ages not having any and then I'll go two weeks having them daily on top of my regular coffee. *That* is *NOT* good for me! Starting to make me feel like crap. Got some last weekend and still have some in the fridge at home. They didn't help my mood last weekend so I may not even drink them. It would also be good if I quit buying them because they're quite expensive.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by General View Post
I love winter - never could understand why people don't.
In many ways I love winter too - but I do struggle if the weather is bad and there is little sunlight. I do have a sun/daylight lamp which can help. I know many people who really suffer from S.A.D. in the winter months here in northern Europe - it's dark.

I've given up the cigs too - after 35 years! I still can't quite believe it. I have tried and failed so many times but this time it was like with the alcohol - I realised I was not "giving up" anything, rather I was gaining something....life. Caffeine on the other hand is a necessity!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome retread - I must have missed your post yesterday

D
Old 02-08-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, and thanks for the welcome. I have a lot of catching up to do to try to get up to speed with everyone's stories. As for me, I've been struggling a lot because I'm finding myself filled with emotions, and later in the day is hard for me, because that's when I used to drink. I'm meeting with my sponsor tonight to go over some of my fourth step, which I think will help me. I know I have little choice in the matter, so just keep doing the next right thing.

Last edited by Retread59; 02-08-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: hit send too soon
Old 02-08-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's pretty emotional time for sure retread, but you're amongst friends here

D
Old 02-08-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

hi guys, i broke my left arm on monday night, out running with my dog. so mad at myself.

there i was trying to be fit, healthy, and all of a sudden i tripped, went flying, and bam, landed on my outstretched left wrist/forearm...went to e.r...xrays, blah blah...broken distal radius for those of you who want the exact fracture spot...

anyway, typing one handed is hard, and everything one handed is hard, things i never considered, toothbrushing, dishes, cutting food with knife, zipping up zipper...sigh everything - you name it!! - -and the pity party has been going, but i did go to AA meeting today that was sooo great, womens group, it helped so much.

reading all your posts helps so much too. i may not post much in the next weeks but i am here, i will keep coming back.

one more thing, sadsoul the world needs balance and winter is a balance to summer, nature is balanced and she has her reasons, so maybe you can find some solace in thinking about balance. anyway i try to when my emotions are down, i figure well, its a seesaw so its down now but with patience it will go up for sure again. balance.

welcome retread and hi everyone, lots of one armed hugs!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry you did that honeypie - but I'm glad you're not hurt worse

D
Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I went to visit my sponsor and we talked about my fourth step. I asked her how I will know when I am finished with it and she said that I would decide when I'm ready to move to my fifth step. Since I worked a lot on my fourth step yesterday, I started to get excited at the prospect of moving forward again. It was a good night, with few cravings, and I'm feeling glad that I went.

Just reading back a little, I see that Tanja just went to a meeting recently. I'm glad for you that you did and that you found it helpful, and I hope you'll stick with it. I'm finding great support in AA this time around. I've been there before, but this time when I quit I was so broken that I just said, okay, I'm just going to do everything they tell me. I've really opened myself up to the program, and it does seem to help.

Honeypie, I am sorry to hear that you broke an arm. I can imagine that must have hurt like hell I hope your healing time will not be too terribly long.

Well, happy sobriety, everyone. I'm off to surf around a bit and then get some sleep.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone!!!!

(((((Honeypie))))) Sure hope you're feeling better this morning. How horrible about your arm. Everything is harder when you don't have both hands. How long will you be in a cast? Hang in there!!

Birchgreen - Job Well Done!! Quitting cigs is a HUGE accomplishment!! Gaining life is a great way to look at quitting. *And* I definitely agree - have to have the caffeine!! Interesting about your lamp....I've wondered about them. This year I've upped my Vitamin D and it seems to be helping my mood... Still can't wait for longer days though

Retread - Glad that AA is working for you! I don't have experience with them myself, but they seem to be most helpful for alot of people. It's great that you have a good sponsor and are working the steps. What do you do in the evenings to help with the emotions etc...? Do you have hobbies or have you changed up your routine?

Tanja - Let us know how your meeting goes tonight. I bet you're able to find a really nice temporary sponsor!

Well...After General's post about the coffee making him feel bad I started thinking about drinking Red Bull and how I thought it was making me feel bad. So I conducted an experiment last night (definitely not scientific LOL). I was feeling pretty good when I got home from work - productive and relaxed. I had a simple dinner and Red Bull and just relaxed (no work or stress) -- by 9:00p I felt bad - anxious, agitated, sleepy, uneasy - just plain bad. I think it is something they put in the Red Bull - not the caffeine but the other stuff. I can drink coffee all day and never feel that way. Needless to say, not having anymore. I hated that I ruined a perfectly nice evening last night.

Interesting how our body's reaction to things changes. I really think some of it has to do with quitting alcohol. More sensitive to chemicals etc..??? Who knows. I do know I won't be having any more. Now that I've been sober a while I'm getting used to feeling good and I *like* it

Now if I could workout on a regular basis..... Haha!

Hope everyone is having a good day!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Honeypie - God bess you! The fact that you broke your arm, remained sober and even went to an AA meeting is proof that you are far stronger than you know. I am having issues with my teeth and know that they have to be pulled. So, the pity party starts and try to challenge it with positive thoughts. Some people can't even afford dental work and I am lucky in that respect. I am fearful of the pain, but drinking over it will change nothing and just make me miserable. Thanks to PhilB I did call the intergroup yesterday and they referred me to the specific club. I wasn't feeling so I did not call. In terms of tonight's meeting it is held in a church. I am not sure how I am going to get there. My husband's hours vary and he never knows what time he will get off. My plan is to call him in evening and try to figure out if he can take me. I was going to call a taxi (expensive) or I call try and call my sober friend and ask.

Wishing everyone a happy sober thursday
Old 02-09-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your arm Honeypie - can you get out of chores? Getting out of the chores around here would be almost worth breaking my arm for.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

((Tanja)) - Sure hope your teeth feel better. Dental pain can be pretty hard to deal with - kudos to you!!!!!! Hope it works out for tonight
Old 02-09-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

hope you feel better soon teethwise Tanja

D
Old 02-09-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

ah tanja we are a pair, eh! i would love to drive you to your aa meeting. i am going to get my sad arse over to one myself tonight. i need it. i hope, hope hope you get there.

hey i listened to philb's meditation last night and it was great, and i nodded off whilst listening - good sign i think!! i will try it again later and see if i can just stay with it, meditating, and not fall asleep. the guy's voice is so serene :-)

sadsoul thanks for being so good about posting, you are a very social and kind person, it comes through so strongly - - actually all you guys are, now i think of it -- general, geralt, miela, retread our new family member, birch, littlesparrow, gerb, philb, deserto, bozboz, rocco, debinaweb, and dear goodcheer wherever she may be....sniff... lol.

DEE how are you these days? your back ok?

bye for now...
Old 02-09-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL it was ok honeypie - then I messed it up again...I tripped as well...didn't break anything tho - years of practice lol

D
Old 02-10-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

Dee - So sorry to hear about your back. I hope you are feeing better soon. Honeypie - I am so proud of you! Did you make it to your AA meeting? My husband got home early and I asked him to take me, but he didn't want to as he wasn't feeling well. I asked him if he would take me to another all women's meeting on Sunday. He said he would. I am going to the dentist today to get my teeth checked out. I have to take a taxi. Taking taxis gets pretty costly. I am on a fixed income - so I am reluctant to do that on a regular basis. I will call the club today and see if I can line up a ride. I also have gum surgery scheduled in two weeks and I don't know how that will play out with the teeth situation. I may have to cancel the surgery (have done so on numerous occasions) and get my teeth pulled and let them heal. On another note, I do now have a support system. Phil, another SR member and my real estate agent have all offered their support and that is wonderful. I know if I need immediate help that I have people I can turn to in a pinch.

TGIF everyone
Old 02-10-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everybody - Happy , Sober Friday!! Whoo Hoo we made it!

I just realized typing the line above that I *don't* "dread" the weekends anymore - wow! For quite a while, after I quit drinking, the weekends were a source of "dread/stress" (didn't know how I was going to make it through... ya know). It *just* dawned on me that I'm looking forward to having some time off. Another reason to be grateful! I have a feeling that we'll all be experiencing these little "ah ha" moments for a while.... Can't wait to see what the next one will be!

Well...I didn't have any Red Bull yesterday and woke up calm this morning. Don't know if it was a coincidence or not - time will tell I suppose. But I don't have the anxious, skin-crawling feeling that I've been having. It will be great if it was just the change in the way the RB was affecting me since quitting drinking. Not drinking RB would be such an easy fix - I'll take it happily!

How is everyone else this morning?? Does anybody have big or fun plans for the weekend? We're just hanging around the house this weekend - no activities except for church. Just planning a bunch of cooking and laundry!

I like to cook and watch the DIY network. For those not familiar with DIY (Do-It-Yourself) - the DIY network has lots of fun-looking house projects on all day. I enjoy watching and chuckling at it. They make everything look soooo easy - HA! - there is nothing easy about most of it. BTDT and now I find it nice just to watch other people do the projects. My kids now think it is fun to keep an eye out at Lowe's for the "crash" people. << The "crash" people are from DIY - they wander home improvement stores looking for people who need their bathroom, kitchen, family room etc. redone.>> I'm sure we'll never see them in our little town but it makes the boring trips a bit more pleasant for the kids. Wonder how long that will last.......

Tanja - I'm glad you have an appointment to get your teeth checked. I sure hope they can do something for the pain and still let you be able to get your surgury out of the way in a couple of weeks... Hope your hubby feels better soon, too, so that he can take you to the meeting on Sunday. It would be great if you could work out a driving arrangement with someone from AA on a regular basis. By the way... your doggie in your picture is very cute (I've been meaning to tell you that all week).

Honeypie - I like General's take on your arm....are you getting out of chores?? Sure hope so. Sounds like a good reason to sit, rest and read a good book while sipping nice, hot tea. Aaaahhhh I do hope the pain is better now. When I broke my ankle eons ago I remember that once the swelling went down the pain got much, much better. Did you make it to your AA meeting?

Good Morning to all the other Sobertobers and Dee, too!! If you get a moment, check in and let us know how you are. It has been nice having the thread hopping this week. You guys are all so inspirational to me and being able to check in during the day and "see" everyone is really helpful! Keeps me going on the hard days. I never stop learning from everyone

<<Where is Gerbosko by the way..... no one has been complaining about the big emoticons lately.... .>>
Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Hope all's well at the start of this weekend - 4 months today for me!