Notices

Class Of October 2011 pt 6

Old 02-13-2012, 10:23 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Glad to see this thread so active again!

@Sadsoul I'm just back to not drinking for now... I know I should look at what else I can do but at the moment I'm so slammed with work that I barely have time to think about anything except sleep, work, food, and the occasional swim. In a few weeks this crunch time should be over and then I'll have some more time to reflect...
Old 02-14-2012, 01:27 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Tanja,
If you pick a piece of music you find especially relaxing at home, it might be worth driving whilst listening to the same music. Hopefully, the relaxation would carry over to the driving - as long as you didn't fall asleep.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hello to All!!!

Deserto - Hey - You're accomplishing the most important thing so you're doing great . Hope work doesn't get too crazy.

Tanja - Wow - Way to go on the driving. You should feel very proud of our accomplishment And, your weekend sounds lovely. Lucky you!

Honeypie - Hugs! Sorry you're having such a hard time with your arm. Sure hope they get some results soon! Having to wait is the worst. Sounds neat that you can remove the smaller cast.....bathing was always the biggest pain in the butt when I had a cast on... And - I'm nibbling on dark chocolate M&Ms this morning. Yummy.

(((((LittleSparrow))))) - So sorry to hear of your losses/bad news and so happy to hear the good. You're right - what a roller coaster of emotions. Staying sober to handle it all is definitely the way to go. Make sure to let us know how you're doing if you get a moment... Don't you love new babies? So cuddly...what a miracle. You're really getting to experience the circle of life right now. Hang in there!

General - Love the suggestion about the music while driving. I *always* have my ipod in the car for rush hour traffic. It does help a lot!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Tuesday (even though it's Valentine's Day - ugh!). I must confess that I don't like this holiday from a couples point of view.. I always do special things for my kids and we send valentines etc.. to family and friends. I make it special for them. It's just that my husband is NOT romantic/attentive *at all* and all the emphasis society puts on the "holiday" makes me sad unless I remind myself not to "give a hoot". It is definitely easier to handle all the emotions while sober. Past years of drowning my sorrows in booze were never pretty.

Sending special hugs to everyone who is struggling today!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hi Folks,

I don't really visit anymore but I've been doing fine and still sober. Well, I guess it depends on who you and your views on sobriety. Last week I went two days with about 2-3 hours of sleep total and absolutely nothing was working. Melatonin, Sleepy Time tea, Nyquil cold medicine pills (no-alcohol).. So as my last resort I picked up Nyquil liquid cold and flu medicine that, yes, contained 10% alcohol in it. It knocked me out cold and I got a great nights sleep. I personally do not see it as a relapse, because it helped me and not hurt me - plus the obvious - it wasn't a beer bottle / can. I have no withdrawals. Plus it tasted about as good as a monkey's butt... don't ask me how I know how those taste.

I remember having this debate awhile back, about being sick and taking medicine that contained alcohol, and my stance was neutral.. and still is. If it's going to HELP you, I don't see a problem with it. It helped me and I stick by that I'm still sober, damn it .

Take care folks.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad it worked for you Gerb and that it didn't trigger any relapses

I've read about it happening here tho, and more than just a few times, so it's not a bogeyman tale or anything.

I was pretty cavalier when I started off too - and then, after a few months, I noticed when I bought alcoholic mouthwash I'd always finish it sooner than non alcoholic mouthwash.

I wasn't drinking it, I wasn't aware of obsessing over it or even of using it more- and that last fact set me back on my heels a little - it gave me pause for thought.

I looked at the new life I had and the appreciation I had for it and myself, and I wondered why I needed alcohol in any form in my life.

I decided then to go for the non alcoholic options wherever possible and that's worked for me ever since

D
Old 02-15-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Boy .... I can hear the echo in here ... everyone is busy again ....

Gerbosko - Good to hear from you! I completely get what you're saying and I don't think that you relapsed taking Nyquil if you took it because you didn't feel good. For *me* taking Nyquil (with the alcohol) wouldn't be a trigger for me right now. I think it depends on the person and the reasons for taking. It is very individual. I would have never even thought about taking Nyquil to get drunk because I'd end up in the hospital overdosed on the meds in it. Yuck!

However, I *definitely* do see what Dee is talking about - caution needs to be used. And I do choose to use non-alcoholic whenever possible just because it is healthier... i.e., mouthwash.

p.s. I didn't even think you could get Nyquil with the alcohol in it anymore? I used to swear by it before having kids. Sleep really helps when you're sick.... but I quit using it more than 10 years ago because I slept too sound and was afraid I wouldn't hear them. Of course.....duh - when I was drunk I wasn't going to hear them either.... "if I only had a brain..."
Old 02-15-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Definitely contains alcohol, sadsoul. Click image for larger.

I was looking at the selection for about 20 minutes trying to find a non-alcohol cold and flu medicine, and I could only find that in pill form. Those did not help at all, so I went with the liquid kind. I was mad at myself that I did, but I was seriously left with little choice. It was either buy the Nyquil that contained alcohol, or go a third day with little to no sleep.

After taking the medicine and sleeping, the following day I discovered videos on YouTube that had sounds of rain. When it's raining out, I sleep like a baby - So now every night I've been putting on my earphones and loading up the video and I've had the best sleep I've had in weeks.

So, not to worry, the medicine is sitting in my medicine cabinet, and it would be my last resort, even if I did have the flu. Let me say that I was not sick when I took the medicine, I bought these to knock me out cold so I could sleep. It was a desperate move and while it might not of been the smartest, I'll still stand by it.

As far as your comment goes Dee, I understand what you're saying. However, I don't see myself using this medicine because it contains alcohol or because it knocked me out once. If I cannot sleep, again, it would be my very last option and I couldn't see myself upping my dose every time I used it (or using it more often) just to sleep. It tastes utterly disgusting and it made me feel crummy the next day for awhile, but I slept LOL.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

Gerbosko - I can relate to taking nyquil. It does have a pretty disgusting taste. I've suffered from insomnia for some time and it seems to have gotten worse as I've gotten older. I would take sudafed, bendaryl, just about anything to try and get some sleep in order to function. I have increased my exercise to walking about 40+ miles a week in an effort to feel better. I also take frequent naps. Not everyone has these options. I do have gum surgery scheduled for next saturday and the rinse they gave me to prevent infection has alcohol in it. I did use it when my one tooth was bothering me. It didn't seem to trigger me. But, I don't like tempting fate. I am hoping it will be alright if I am cognizant of that possibility.

Sadsoul - I hope your cold is getting better.

Wishing everyone a happy, sober Thursday
Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Gum surgery?! I don't like the sound of that at all - good luck, hope all goes well and pain free.

For insomnia try the Mindful "Body Scan". If you don't manage to get to sleep, you will at least find a deep relaxation (at least it works for me!).
Old 02-16-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

For fun, let's pretend that I was drinking the medicine on a daily basis to sleep, and became addicted to it.

Even if I was drinking it on a nightly basis, the effects, in my opinion are worse than drinking a standard alcoholic drink. The reason for my thinking on this is because it contains medicine to fight off the virus along with alcohol. I felt sick till around noon the next day, along with the standard alcohol effects, dizzyness etc, but the effects were more severe than just having a "standard" hangover. So if I were to drink it daily, I'd be more miserable in a week than I was in the entire 6 years of me drinking.

Secondly the taste is far beyond putrid, I wasn't expecting it to be THAT bad, but it was. I'd question my entire life if I could swallow that with pride LOL. I'm very thankful that I rarely ever get sick.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Tanja, I hope your gum surgery goes well.

Birchgreen, I love the mindful body scan. I always start meditating that way and I've found that it's the quickest way to relax.

Speaking of meditating, I listened to the 30-minute meditation that Philb linked. Well, I tried to listen but dozed off. I'll give it another try when I'm not so sleepy. I've come down with a cold, so I took the day off work to relax. My cold isn't that bad but I really needed a "mental health day" and, apparently, 3 naps. I still feel crummy and I'll probably end up taking Nyquil before I go to sleep. I agree with Gerbosko, it tastes horrible and I only take it when absolutely necessary. I've never noticed any kind of hangover feeling the next day after taking it, but I suppose I always felt that way from drinking. Now that I don't have a "real" hangover every day, I'm curious to see what happens.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:27 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hey all! Sober date 10/9/2011! Joining the octoberians!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:37 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome jrsmama

D
Old 02-18-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Welcome jrsmama! Congratulations on over 4 months
Old 02-19-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

welcome jrsmama
Old 02-19-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Welcome, jrsmama!

How is everyone doing? Hopefully the weekend's been okay for everyone. I'm feeling much better, like the wind is back in my sails for now. I've been napping quite a bit and spending a lot of time reading ("My Life in Paris" by Julia Child---it's fascinating), so I'll be ready to start the week.

I tried to see how I felt after taking Nyquil the other day. I didn't feel great, but I was still sick and had to take Dayquil. The Dayquil had an even worse taste, but at least it got me through the day.

Have a great, sober week, everyone.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Welcome jrsmama11!!! Glad to have you with us!

LittleSparrow - So glad to hear that you're feeling better!!! Your book sounds cool. I loved the movie "Julie and Julia" about Julia Child. What an interesting life she led. Please let me know how it turns out. I also bought the "Art of French Cooking" after seeing the movie and one of these days I'm going to start cooking something out of it once a week or at least once a month. Watching the movie always inspires me to cook - go figure .

I just finished reading "Lost in Shangra Lai" about a plane that went down in New Guinea at the very end of WWII. I learned a lot - it was a fast, exciting read.

My next book is "We Die Alone." Below is the description:

"Here is one of the most exciting escape narratives to emerge from the challenges and miseries of WWII. In March 1943, a team of expatriate Norwegian commandos sailed from northern England for Nazi-occupied arctic Norway to organize and supply the Norwegian resistance. But they were betrayed, and the Nazis ambushed them. Only one man survived -- Jan Baalsrud. This is the incredible and gripping story of his escape.

Frostbitten, blinded by the snow, and pursued by the Nazis, Jan dragged himself forward until he reached a small arctic village. He was near death, delirious, and a virtual cripple. But the villagers, at mortal risk to themselves, were determined to save him, and -- through impossible feats -- they did."

How does that grab ya? Sounds really good to me. It is said to be an astonishing true story of heroism and resilience. Love books like this - they inspire me. I'll keep everyone posted on if it is as good as it sounds.

General - you may have already read this?? I know you like books about the Arctic.....

However, it may take me a few weeks to read ....I'm extremely busy at work and home. Whew!

I'm slowly adjusting to sober life. Each week brings new challenges and new "glad I'm sober" moments. It is hard sometimes to separate everything - what is just normal up/down time...what is really hard....what is my AV.....

Sometimes it is a little frustrating but, even then it is better than drunk, sick, hungover, fuzzy-brained, and every other yucky adjective I can think of.

I am really trying to remain ever vigilant and working on my recovery. I read every day on SR and post when I can -- lately there have been so many posts (at least it seems so) where someone has drank after several months of sobriety. They seem to relapse for many different reasons (including the "trying to moderate" plan) -- so I'm trying to really watch my thinking and keep a strong lock on my AV...

At this point I know that if I were to have one I would have many...deep inside my AV doesn't want to just have one -- my AV would not be satisfied until it was smashed. And *I* want absolutely nothing to do with the feelings of regret, shame etc... the next morning.

Each night before I fall asleep I thank God that I'm sober and able to remember getting into bed and falling asleep. What a sense of peace that gives (even at the end of the most stressful days).

to anyone who is having struggling right now. Make sure to let us know how you're doing!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Sad - That sounds like a fascinating read! I used to read a lot of books on the holocaust (escape from Sobibor, Treblinka, etc.) Lately, my reading has been focused on biographies of famous addicts (Carre Otis, Duff McKagan). They make for interesting reading and clearly I am trying to find out how they kicked their addictions. I did like one quote in the Carre Otis book about feelings of joy or sadness and how they are fleetig and don't last. I think that is so important for us to learn. That feelings do pass and to not run from them (easier said than done). I ordered quite a few books for my recuperation from gum surgery this saturday. I am really not looking forward to it. I also pray every night and give special thanks to God for another sober day. I may not get done all I would like to do, but being sober is my full-time job right now. I haven't been posting or reading as much as I did in the past. I think that perhaps I have been a bit depressed by my failures and not feeling that I have much to offer. Tomorrow is day 30 for me. I REALLY, REALLY want to go to an AA meeting and get my 30 day chip. I am often exhausted and get awful headaches.

Wishing everyone a happy Tuesday!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

lately there have been so many posts (at least it seems so) where someone has drank after several months of sobriety.
I've been thinking about it also to be honest, but this has been going on for about a month now. I think it's with my living situation with the roommates, I cannot stand them, and it's just getting worse. I've been looking for my own place, so I'll be back in my positive mood once I get out of here!

Going outside has been my savior, and I'm not even joking! The beautiful weather, views, and nature itself has been really putting me in great moods. Just being home is the hard part lol.

-----

On 2-15 I posted this

the following day I discovered videos on YouTube that had sounds of rain. When it's raining out, I sleep like a baby - So now every night I've been putting on my earphones and loading up the video and I've had the best sleep I've had in weeks.
I'm still going to bed listening to these rain videos, I've been getting good sleep =). I usually wake up around midnight or 1 am every night for some reason, but I just take the earphones off and I'm back to sleep within a few minutes.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:43 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Gerbosko;3290712
Going outside has been my savior, and I'm not even joking! The beautiful weather, views, and nature itself has been really putting me in great moods. Just being home is the hard part lol.
[/QUOTE]

I try to get outside for a walk everyday. Sometimes I have to really drag myself out, but once I'm walking I am so glad that I had made the effort. On days when the weather is too bad, or days like today when I have too much to do, I really miss the walk & my mood is much lower as a result. As you say being stuck at home is not good.