Notices

Class Of October 2011 pt 6

Old 02-10-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Hi all, doing well, busy with work, also helping a friend with setting up an accounting system for his transport company, so I have only a few moments to react, but I read everything

@General congrats on 4 months! Well done!

@sadsoul the stuff in Red Bull is taurine. It's a harmless aminoacid, necessary for our body, but in high amounts and in combination with sugar and caffeine it's harmful. The daily dose of Taurine should be between 100-500mg, and one can of a popular energy drink, for example, has 1000 milligrams of synthetically produced Taurine. Some people are drinking up to eight cans a day (8000mg of Taurine), an amount that can have drug-like effects on the body and cause damage. Here is an interesting link about the dangers.

I see 8-10 year olds with energy drinks now. It's crazy that parents allow that.

Have a great sober weekend!
Old 02-10-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

General - Congrats on 4 months!!! (Me, too ) Hope you enjoyed!!

Geralt - Wow - Thanks for the info. I followed the link you provided and taurine sounds pretty scary. No wonder I've been feeling like crap. I had several of the "side effects/feelings" that some had from a bad reaction. Weird how it didn't bother me previously.... I won't be drinking it anymore!!! It's funny because I don't drink diet sodas because of the sweetners, but I was drinking RB. Sometimes I don't use my head.... I agree about it being nuts letting kids drink it. We don't let our kids even have regular soda very often (still kinda young) and *definitely* not diet or a RB. Yikes! Me - on the other hand..still don't take good enough care of me. Gotta work on that!

Hope everyone is having a great evening!
Old 02-11-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Good Morning! It's quiet around here again... Hopefully, everyone is off enjoying and living their real life!

Best wishes for a nice, sober, happy day

Hugs to anyone who is struggling!!
Old 02-11-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Wow, lots of injured people around these days. Hope everyone starts feeling better.

I've been in a not wanting to come to SR place, and I don't know why. I'm just not in a place where I relate to most of the stuff in the New to Recovery forum, and I'm just not very good at these check-in threads. Never have been, so I don't know why I'm surprised that that's the same. I just don't fit into the cadence in some way. I've been feeling generally social awkward lately, and these situations always kind of reinforce that.

Oh well, enough for the maudlin stuff. Just getting ready to make some coffee, and we're heading out of town for the weekend. It's been a long, long week at work. I honestly love what I do, but it takes a toll. I haven't been able to work out this week either, which isn't cool.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!
Old 02-11-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

feeling good again today guys - hope everyone else is too

D
Old 02-11-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Hi guys,

Something I wanted to share, I went out to a pub! Pub story

Oh and now I have a cold too! Wow so many sick people here!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

Just read about the death of Whitney Houston. It really shocked and saddened me. It also serves as a powerful reminder that this is a life and death struggle. My intention is to go to the women's meeting today even if I have to pay for a cab. Just feeling really scared right now.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Congrats, Sad, on 4 months
Old 02-12-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Congrats Geralt, on 4 months Witcherman!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

hi guys, sober sunday here.

i am going for xrays in the morning which are supposed to determine whether i need surgery or not. pleeeease let me not need surgery.

my mom had to put her old beloved cocker spaniel down yesterday, end of an era, she is grief stricken, we all know how that is...i feel helpless from afar. we are all so fragile, we love and we cry, blustering along through this life.

i realized today that 0.0 people checked on me this weekend - as in people where i live, or co-workers, or friends! and i thought, i really need AA badly because i need the support and i need to stay sober - and you know, i really need some friends, badly, sober ones.

glad you are hitting your 4 month marks, those of you who have!! you are inspirational.

Dee i am glad you are feeling better!!!!

ciao for now all. Tanja lets keep hitting those AA meetings sweetie!!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really hope you won't need surgery honeypie - best wishes

D
Old 02-13-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Good Morning Sobertobers!! Hope everyone had a good weekend! Just a couple of quick notes then I gotta run - very busy at work and sick on top of that (ugh! what a Monday ).

NvrbeentoSpain - Hello! So good to hear from you! I sure hope this week is better and you get to workout. Did you have a good trip over the weekend? Hopefully, the social aspect of recovery will get easier for all of us. I know I still struggle in real-life. Over the years I've let all my friends go and I seem to have forgotten how to find new ones. Interactions can be very awkward in person - I do much better on-line for now. Hang in there!

Tanja - How was your AA meeting? Don't feel scared..... you're truly working on your life and sobriety. Your on the living side of life and doing better all the time

Geralt - Way to Go! It is so interesting to hear about other people venturing back into life. Sounds like your night out was a success! Thanks for sharing your story with us - it helps me. AND - Good Job on 4 Months!! You're doing great!

General - Hi! Thanks for the congrats. We're trucking along..... I wonder how Goodcheer is?

Honeypie - Hugs! Sure hope you get a good report from the doctor. I'll say a prayer for you and your arm. Make sure to let us know what you find out! Did you get to an AA meeting? How was it? Hope it made you feel better. It isn't a consolation I know - but, just so you know - you're not the only one who feels alone in the world. Hopefully that will change for all of us as we continue on....

Dee - I'm so glad you're better - we miss you when you're gone!

Well.... gotta get moving (even though I just want to curl up in my bed sigh!) Is it Friday yet? LOL
Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Just wanted to check in and let everyone know that reaching out a week or so ago made a huge difference in stopping the spiral before it really got started.

It was pretty predictable in retrospect. A drink at dinner on the weekends became a few drinks at dinner on the weekends became quite a few more on the weekends and then a few nights a week and then nearly every day. Took about three weeks to go from sober intention to that old place. Good to know, I guess, but not particularly useful information.

What was most surprising was how quickly the despair and sense of powerlessness came back, as though I couldn't stop drinking even though just a few weeks before I'd been sober as a church mouse.

But of course I could stop, and have, and so wanted to check in and say thanks to everyone for their support. Viewing the process as a slip rather than a fall made all the difference -- when I felt I had to start over at zero I felt there was no way I could do that again. But when I realized that I'd learned a lot over the last four months, and a few weeks off the rails was just that -- a few weeks off the rails -- well, then it was just a matter of stopping the spiral and getting back on the horse (and mixing metaphors with impunity, apparently).

Hope everyone is doing well, and congrats for those hitting four months!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Deserto

So good to see you!!! Glad to hear that you're doing better - I was worried when we didn't hear from you after your last post.

Those couple of weeks *were* just a little slip on your journey - nothing you can't (and obviously have ) overcome. Are you doing anything different now or are you back to what you know works for you?

Keep us posted!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Deserto View Post
.....Viewing the process as a slip rather than a fall made all the difference.....
Great way of looking at it Deserto - I'm right with you on that one (& mixing metaphors is alright by me too!).
Old 02-13-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Deserto - Great to see you back! We've missed you. I agree that it is a process and what we tell ourselves is essential to recovery.

Although, I didn't make it to an AA meeting this week-end - I did manage to drive! Not far - about 4 miles, but I was so thrilled I might be even able to tackle the freeway My week-end was pretty wonderful. My husband and I had a couples massage on saturday and went out to dinner on Sunday. The only reason I could enjoy these activies was because I was sober! My intent now is to attend a meeting tomorrow and drive myself Hope everyone has a good sober Monday!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Deserto

D
Old 02-13-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

hi all, hi deserto, i am *very* empathetic and think i went the same slippery slope.

am glad to be back to the sober mouse part. sure am nibbling a lot anyway! lol.

my xrays today were positive but then the dr. wanted a CT scan as well! sheesh.

so i will hear back, i think, tomorrow. at least the huge big cast is off now, and a smaller one is on which i can even remove if i need for bathing! huge improvement.

i wish i could address everyone personally - it takes me ages to type this out one handed though. i am reading all your posts and am here with you guys all the way.

cheers, monday is almost tuesday. happy valentine's in advance to every single one of you!

hugs!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I'm still here and still sober. I've had so much going on the past few days that I haven't been able to muster the energy to write anything. Over the weekend I got to meet my good friends' newborn. I'm so happy for them. The next day, I found out that an old friend has cancer. Then while in the middle of typing a post here last night, I found out that someone I know had died---it was a shock, and I'm really shaken up by it even though I hadn't yet had a chance to get to know him well. Tonight, my best friend told me that she's pregnant. I'm excited and happy for her. I can hardly keep up with all this news and all these emotions. If I were drinking, I'd probably be a complete mess right now.

But through it all, I've been reading everyone's posts to keep me focused on what I need to do. Honeypie, I'm sorry to hear about your arm and I hope you won't need surgery. I've been running with my dog, and I've been thinking about you and being extra careful! Tanja, I hope your teeth/gum situation works out okay, and way to go on driving! Deserto, I'm so glad you're doing better. Thanks for sharing how the switch in perspective helped you.

Have a good week, everyone.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Oops, it posted twice so I deleted one. Time to put my brain to bed for the night.

Last edited by LittleSparrow; 02-13-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Double post