Class Of October 2011 pt 6

Old 09-23-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fine here General - how's yourself?

D
Old 09-24-2012, 12:00 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

It's been a really weird year, Dee. Good but weird. In 14 days it'll be a year for me so I guess I'm over the cravings etc. However, I feel a bit ostracised from the rest of society - it seems everyone drinks. Even my oldest friend invited me over to his place for an evening and then quickly said "Oh, but you don't drink now, do you?"

Besides not drinking, I never watch television (Worse than drinking, in my opinion!) so I don't really have much in common with the rest of humanity...
Still, I'm proud of my greatest personal achievement and looking forward to a year.

Must be 5 years for you now, is it?
Old 09-24-2012, 01:10 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah it's well into 5 now

I can't say I feel ostracised anymore - I'm just Dee again, Dee who doesn't drink.
It's not an issue for me, and I assume it's not for anyone else either

I can't say I go to many things tho, not like I used to when I drank - I tend to stay home - I don't mind that tho

D
Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

Today marks 60 days sober for me! This is the longest period of sobriety that I have had in four years.

I am very grateful to be alive and sober today
Old 09-26-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Congrats, Tanja - 60 days has that good, solid feel to it - a firm base for the rest of your sobriety. Are you doing anything differently this time that's helping?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

General,

I am still attending AA and really believe that support is essential for me. I simply cannot do it on my own. I also was very ill for a month and that helped me establish more sober time and with that clarity on how much I really do not want to drink. Putting my sobriety first, realizing that cravings are part of the disease and recognizing that doing things differently doesn't just entail not drinking.

Thank you for all your kind support
Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Another huge change has been practicing patience and the way I deal with my chronic insomnia. The insomnia has been my nemesis in dealing with my alcoholism. I am trying hard to change the way I think about the insomnia. Even if I can't do anything that day and feel pretty miserable - the most important thing is just to not drink over it. It may be very unpleasant, but it does not have the horrible feelings that accompany drinking. The mental and physical agony, depression, shame, remorse and self-loathing.

I hope everyone else is doing well. Please post when you can and have a very happy, sober day
Old 09-27-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Tanja,

You've had about 6.3 million sober heartbeats!
Old 09-28-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

Tanja W-A-Y to go! I remember that 60 day milestone when it happened it nearly felt beyond belief! I'm sorry physically things haven't been so great for you and hope you're back 100% soon in that regard. Great to see you General....1 year! Man what a milestone. Dee I'm morphing into Phil who doesn't drink except I drank for so long I'm not exactly sure who that is :-)....can't believe we are creeping towards the holidays soon! Hello to everyone else.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have every confidence you'll find out Phil!

have a great weekend everyone
D
Old 09-29-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

General - Congratulations on almost reaching a year That is a tremendous accomplishment!

Phil - "Bound and Determined" how very true! I heard in a meeting last night people discussing that very same topic. That they didn't know themselves at all in early sobriety. My thoughts are that it is a blessing that we get the opportunity to work on ourselves and experience greater spiritual and emotional growth. Some people never receive this gift. I know this - you are a very kind, caring and emphathetic man
Old 09-29-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Thanks, Guys - I can relate to your posts as I'm starting to discover my real self. It honestly feels as if I've been ill for a long time and I'm slowly getting back to full strength. This must be why it's called recovery. I used to think it was a bit of a dramatic term to describe stopping drinking, but it's true.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

Those were really nice words Tanja thanks....you haven't "seen" me on a really really bad day of which there are still many :-)....yet at least now I can feel them rather than attempting to numb them out of my brain. You're right, we are lucky to get this chance. You're right about that General I used to think the same thing about the word "recovery" that it was kind of soap opera sounding for the long term. Its actually pretty sound and sane sounding and pretty correct. Besides, we get to experience that sober euphoria you described so well some time back when you were feeling really great. Hope that feeling stays with you. Have a good weekend all.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

Its funny how even on an internet forum certain people cross our minds. I know Gerbosko mentioned it awhile back and I seconded it. I just again hope Miela is doing well and send good thoughts to her that she is feeling like that happy child in her avatar embracing the sky from a tree.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread

we continue here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...11-pt-7-a.html

D