Notices

Class of October 2011 pt 2

Old 10-24-2011, 04:10 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Go Stevie!! You can do it!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

I'm off to work! I'll check in with you guys after work/before outpatient.

Looks like there's a few Octobers in the 1-4 day range right now: I say take it slow and keep things as simple as you can.... we alcoholics aren't exactly known for our patience. But like it's been noted in above posts: the strength of the cravings CAN be ignored and WILL die down - but you might need the help of some distraction(s) that really hold your attention. I'm wishing you all the very very best take care, and drink a bunch of water! There's a good chance you'll be a little dehydrated even a few days after you stop drinking, and being dehyrdrated makes anything more difficult, but especially anything that you need to put your mind to (even reading!)
/end rambling well-wishes and advice

Everyone else: I wish you a stress-free day!

Now... out into the 38 degree weather for about a mile walk to work

Take care,
ZenJen
Old 10-24-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Good morning all,
Day 3 here and on my way to work hangover free.think I will do it again tomorrow .
Nice to read everyone's posts. So much strength and inspiration! I'll be back on SR tonight as lonely MOndays tend to be difficult and it would be nice to have the support of all of you.

Hang in there!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

I'm on my phone but just wanted to say I woke up happy and feeling great! My mood at work is outstanding..usually I'd be groggy and just waiting to get the day over with. Great job everyone on staying sober and best of luck Stevie.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Good luck today everyone!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Happy Monday everyone! Let's hear a big hurray for the weekend being over! I have to laugh at how totally opposite I felt about Mondays two weeks ago. It is just so much easier for me during the week. Nothing really new going on here. I have a busy couple of weeks ahead of me, pretty stressful, moving, going back to work(I've been laid off for two months while the start upI worked for was being bought by a big corporation) but busy is good right now.

Honeypie..I love pacman. Of course as of late I only played it after drinking...I bet I am much better now. Good for you for getting through that craving. My husband and I used to call those symptoms Sunday-itis.

Stevie88..I am so glad you are trying again instead of just letting go.

Today I am going with my kids (19, 17) to see paranormal activity 3 and then tomorrow I have got to get this sugar binging under control. I should probably start today but who can so no to movie theater popcorn...and perhaps a bunch of crunch?

Have a good day everyone!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Hi goalofsobriety, nice name! Way to go! Day 2 counts during the week just as much! and next weekend when you are already on day, hmm, 5 I guess, you won't want to throw it all away, and we will be here supporting you and each other. God knows I just made it thru a very rough weekend and I am SO GLAD I have awoken this Monday morning sober and hangover free.

Because hangovers are not just physical - mine always have emotional and mental anguish attached as well. So it's like this triple hangover whammy. You feel like garbage, your thoughts are racing and your self-disappointment is worse than any other person's disappointment in you.

Today is a NEW DAY!!

My best wishes and lots of hugs go out to you, in no particular order, Sadsoul, goodcheer, microbio, cardio, debinaweb, General, Deserto, seethroughblue,iwantmeback, boozefree, nvrbeentospain, goalofsobriety, stevie, birchgreen, Gerbosko, Sigma, alaskasun, zenjen and Kuroi (keep it chill), little sparrow, samwitch - - Dee of course -- who have I left out!? You too if I left you out!!

Old 10-24-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Hello - I don't know if I am posting in the right place? Just wanted to say hi - I am an Oct. 2011 sober baby- my day is Oct. 16 so today is my 9th day.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Welcome copperfield! You're in the right place.

Monday's n tues are always hard for me to get on here bc I'm gone from 7am till about 10:30pm but if I made time to drink than I can squeeze in time for a quick post. When I don't post daily on here is when I start to slip every time. Felt nice waking up with a little more energy today. Going into today with a positive attitude and I just hope it lasts once my co worker shows up who is always so negative. Prayin for good vibes today!

Stevie welcome back. Don't give up!

And a big hi to everyone else here and hope all of you have a good today today!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Monday to All the Octobers!!!

Wow - I got busy yesterday and now I have lots of reading to do to catch up! We *are* a great group - what support from everyone!! Welcome to all our newcomers!!

It was encouraging to see so many sober successes! To all those struggling much strength and peace; make sure to check in here often! You can beat this!

I had a good, sober weekend! Spent a lot of time with my kids actually doing fun things It was a nice break after a crazy, busy week at work.

Ahhh, the weekends are never long enough (I agree with the others ... 3-4 days off in a row would be great... LOL ...how many days in a row would we have to work then? 5 is already a bunch....

Didn't have trouble with cravings this weekend. Just irritability - lots at times. I've been trying to ease the irritability because I think it eventually becomes a craving for me - "see I deserve to drink ... blah blah".

It is interesting to me to observe my changing emotions and reactions to things/situations. I've been calmer in a lot of situations that were driving me bonkers (traffic; kids bickering etc.), and I've been moved more easily to tears about things that touch my heart or worry me. And other things that didn't use to bother me I now find irritating. Weird - I think it is going to take a while until my emotions even out.

All-in-all though - wouldn't change anything. So love being sober!!!!

Last edited by sadsoul2011; 10-24-2011 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Grammar/spelling mistakes; I'm in too much of a hurry today :).
Old 10-24-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

hello to everyone. love to check in and see so many honest and supportive posts.

Gerbosko...i feel the same at work. for so long i have been groggy and unfocused at work. since i stopped drinking i get to work with so much more energy and i am catching up on so much that i have procrastinated on. i would always distract everyone by being good at a few things, meanwhile lots of other stuff piling up on my desk. i am finding stuff i missed entirely and catching up on that. trying to face the mess i have created around me and take care of something i have avoided every day. at work, and at home too.

welcome copperfield! you will find a lot of great support among the Octobers.

everyone in your first few days...hang in there, you are doing an awesome job! it was just a few days back for me, but the health and energy i felt when i finally rehydrated and my years-long hangover cleared...it was awesome. i still feel so much better, better quality sleep and more energy during the days.

stevie and samwitch...come on back...you can do it...we are here for you.

sadsoul...i hear you on the irritability. you are so insightful to realize that it is a dangerous voice that leads inevitably to wanting a drink. remember HALT...hungry, angry, lonely, tired...all triggers that make us want to pick up. we need to be mindful and manage these feelings.

Day 15 for me. i cannot believe i have made it this far. the cravings and obsession are still strong. it is difficult to face the hard edges in my life without my dear wine to soften them. even so, my life has completely changed in the course of two weeks. attending daily AA meetings, and finding much support there, and a loving sponsor who is there for me at all times. wonderful friends here from around the world, all brought together to help one another. sniff sniff, makes me dewey eyed. i feel healthier and have more energy and am already more productive at work and home. my daughters are so happy to see me more engaged and smiling. they each keep saying i love you...i think they are feeling the difference. sniff sniff again. it is so worth it to rescue ourselves from alcohol and re-join life. i feel like dorothy waking up in kansas again.

have a good day everyone. sending peace and strength.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Day 18

Good Morning All!! Good to see we made it through another weekend!! I am still feeling a little blue, lonley. I think it's because my son is back with his dad. I miss him. He keeps me so busy when we are together.
So I am wearing a new outfit I bought this weekend and it's amazing how I feel so much better about myself!! And I think I can handle my job today. No whining, no complaining, just get-er-done!!
I am still embaressed about crying at my AA meeting on Saturday. I want to go back today, but I still have mixed feelings.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Anyone else got 'Brain fog'? - I keep forgetting things or break off in mid-conversation. I'm really clumsy too, keep breaking things, spilling things, walking into things. Making loads of mistakes on my computer when I'm typing.

Mad craving for sweet things, too - eating 5 or 6 chocolate bars a day - never used to eat any. Still wouldn't go back, though - 15 days today. My all-time record is 57 days I did last year; can't wait till I've broken it.

Notice a few people here into exercise - may I ask if being sober has affected your running/cycling/swimming or whatever?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypie View Post

Because hangovers are not just physical - mine always have emotional and mental anguish attached as well. So it's like this triple hangover whammy. You feel like garbage, your thoughts are racing and your self-disappointment is worse than any other person's disappointment in you.

Today is a NEW DAY!!

My FEELINGS exactly on my hangover experiences. At least in the last 6 months.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

General, I have that same mad craving for sweets as well. I was dying for a chocolate bar all weekend.

Ironically I think I've been less diligent about the swimming since becoming sober, though that probably has more to do with travel than anything else. But I haven't felt that the swimming has improved one way or another with sobriety. If anything, to be honest, I felt more committed to it when I was drinking, to work off the effects of beer etc. around the old waistline.

That said, there are some effects of sweets around the waistline that need a bit of working off now....
Old 10-24-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

General-yep major brain fog, and MAJOR sugar cravings as well. I also don't really eat sugar, and I give in all the time now. Agreed, it's worth it.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Copperfield we share the same day

I actually find that giving in to the sugar cravings helps tremendously. Since my drink of choice was chardonnay, I substitute with lemon tea and an enormous dollop of honey. Thankfully this works for me.

Of course, while at the movies on Saturday night I chowed down on Sourpatch kids AND Milkduds. But I always do that at the theatre. A splurge that I feel fine about It's the only time I have candy (we never have any in the house and it's just never been an indulgence of mine).
Old 10-24-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

yes, sugar cravings here too. needing coffee often too. i have very little appetite for real food. most of my evening nourishment was wine and whatever i snacked on to go with it. now i have no idea what to eat. many of the foods i like seem tasteless to me without the wine. also feeling a bit down at around dinnertime, and am not the best cook, so am not eager for a big meal. i am hoping that a healthy appetite returns soon.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Just a quick break from my office at work (shh!) - Alaska you know, when you posted the other day about not wanting to go back to that AA group who you felt was judging you as not sober, even though you were...I felt mixed feelings when I read that, on your behalf.

I was thinking you should go back and clear the air, just tell the truth, tell the group that you were sober and emotional the other day but left feeling misjudged. God knows all the women in the group have all been there. I cried at AA last week and even though I felt silly, I took heart knowing that as women, all of those others must also have gone through it..ya know?

I wish we could go to the meeting with you physically but please know that if you do go back to that group, all us Octobers will be with you in spirit, cheering you on and standing up for you. We know you were sober at that meeting!!

Try not to be embarrassed is all I am trying to say. We've all been there. Enjoy your new clothes!!
Old 10-24-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Thank you

Originally Posted by honeypie View Post
Just a quick break from my office at work (shh!) - Alaska you know, when you posted the other day about not wanting to go back to that AA group who you felt was judging you as not sober, even though you were...I felt mixed feelings when I read that, on your behalf.

I was thinking you should go back and clear the air, just tell the truth, tell the group that you were sober and emotional the other day but left feeling misjudged. God knows all the women in the group have all been there. I cried at AA last week and even though I felt silly, I took heart knowing that as women, all of those others must also have gone through it..ya know?

I wish we could go to the meeting with you physically but please know that if you do go back to that group, all us Octobers will be with you in spirit, cheering you on and standing up for you. We know you were sober at that meeting!!

Try not to be embarrassed is all I am trying to say. We've all been there. Enjoy your new clothes!!

Thank you for that!!! I appreciate your enourgament!! I am probably going to go to the meeting. If I dont, then I'll need to go to one tonight, but that takes away from the time alone with my b/f (since both are kids are not home at the moment). I know I should put meetings and sobriety before my relationship with my b/f, but I don't think he gets that.
As far as sweets, YES! I actually bought a candy bar and a mocha yesterday before my nail appointment and enjoyed them both while having my nails done. And tonight I am baking up a storm, cookies and brownies, batches and batches and then tomorow will deliver to friends who could use some home baked goodies!