Notices

Class of April 2011 pt2

Old 06-22-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Talking

I too have had days that were very difficult and the thought to drink was there. Instead, I went to bed and did what Bakogal did, I focused on what the next day would be like. Press on April 2011

I am so proud of myself. Day 83....Just 7 days out from 3 months. WOW! Sunday, I went over a former drinking buddie's house and didn't drink. I was soooo proud of myself. They had a HUGE bottle of Sutter Homes Moscato sitting on the counter. The bottle looked at me and I looked at it. My friends and other drinking buddies had margaritas but I just sipped on water. They were soooo amazed at my will power. I still was funny and silly without the wine, beer or alcohol
Old 06-23-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Congrats indakut! I'm right behind you. Starting day 81 today. Have a great day all.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Congrats indakut! That was definitely a test of your willpower and you won!
Old 06-23-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

great going guys!

D
Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Yeah--great job indakut, ttgttfg and bakogal!

I'm on Day Five this round but very, very strong. Honestly, though, if it was just me I wouldn't be worried. But I'm stopping Phil's entire social life by stopping drinking and that is honestly the problem. We didn't do karaoke two nights this week, and I just hope we can avoid it tonight. I don't want to drink at home, but I can't decline when out. Yet. I do think I will be able to eventually though.

I'm bolstering my chances by exercising really hard and I feel just stunningly good. I've gotten an extra fifty pounds on over the years, and it won't come off immediately, but even after just four days of serious effort, I feel so much slimmer. The nice thing is that my face comes right back into line right away. So I have cheekbones already and I look into the mirror and there's that girl I used to know--and maybe even love. This just makes me cry. The jutting out hip bones aren't back yet, but I'll take the face.

It's serious working out for a 50 year old woman who works at a desk. Yesterday I did 40 minutes on my elliptical and walked 3 miles. Lost one pound. Kind of a raw deal really.

So guys, If you feel like it, help root me on to a simple, tangible goal on which everything literally "rides."

I'm 5'7" tall and carry an extra 50 lbs. I'm a pretty weak-willed alcoholic (as you know) but I'm intellectually very strong. Here's what I want to be able to do:

I want to be able to get on my horse from the ground.

He's 15.3 hands tall (his shoulder is right about at my scalp). I use a mounting block to get on and I can and do ride. I barrel race and hope to enter my first rodeo (not a joke) this August. What I need to be able to get on from the ground so I don't look silly.

In order to achieve this goal, I will need to:

Be physically quite strong -- which means staying sober to protect my muscles
Lose weight -- which means staying sober to avoid calories and day after carbs
Be confident -- which means staying sober to avoid anxiety and dismal attitude

I may not be able to actually achieve this, but I do hope to make it one day!

Thanks for being here Aprillers. And thanks for being patient with me. I do believe I'm on the boat with y'all. I do.

Kisses.

Melody
Old 06-24-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm new here. Sorry, I don't speak english very good. I guess this thread is for those who quit drinking in april 2011, isn't it? I have been sober since april 14 2011, so I'm also an "apriler". with 71 days sober now, my largest time ever. I'm feeling quite good, no depression, no anxiety... beginning to enjoy a sober life, after many years.

Come on, aprilers! We can do it.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've found the right place Mariano - welcome

D
Old 06-24-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Welcome Mariano.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

welcome mariano!

have to post and run...just want to wish all a great weekend!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thank you.

I see some of you are having a hard time. I hope you will feel better as we advance together in sobriety and achieve some more time sober. For those of you who suffer depression: running, swimming or other sports are wonderful.

Now I'm feeling OK but I have had some difficult days. I have had some memory and concentration problems, and moods swings. But I love waking up sober. I love counting my days sober: 71, now actually 72 because here in my country (Spain) it's 0.45 hrs 25 june. Come on aprilers, we are going to succeed! In spanish, the translation of "apriler" is "abrileņo", a very beautiful word.

I used to drink aprox. 3 liters of beer three or four days a week. Sometimes more.

PS: Feel free to correct my english: I will learn a little more.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Welcome Mariano and congrats on your 71 days
Old 06-25-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thank you, Indakut. I'm day 72 now, my longest time ever, and feeling great, like 15 years younger,.

I hope those of you that are having hard time will feel better soon. Surely, when we reach the three months mark, we will be much better. We have a very nice day here in Spain. Holydays are approaching and all seems ok.

I'm recovering my old hobbies: music, reading, sports...

Enjoy your new sober life and please don't drink. If we have reached this point, we can go further.

Come on, aprilers, we can do it!
Old 06-25-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Had been out this night with some non-alcoholic friends. It has been a little difficult for me. I had coke, but the others drank gin-tonic. But that was not the problem.

I was euphoric this night, dont know why. Perhaps it was because I have more than 70 days of sobriety, perhaps because my neurotransmitters are not yet working properly. I was tempted to drink alone some beers, when everybody went home, but I didn't. The euphoria is a kind of trigger for me. I used to be a lonely drinker of beer --plenty of beer, of course.

Now I'm sober and going to sleep. Tomorrow I will wake with no hangover. Thanks God.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Member - sober since 4-22-11

still sober on day 67

Hi folks. I was out of town on a much needed vacation last week. Took the family down to Virginia Beach and stayed at my Dad's house. All-in-all a fairly pleasant trip with little temptation. Went over to my brother's house for an evening dinner and nobody was drinking which is not unusual for them. My sister-in-law offered me a beer and I just said no-thank-you without getting into the reason why. Went out to dinner, and while my stepmother and I almost always split a bottle of red wine, she didn't even bring up the subject of wine and neither did I. Odd since I didn't tell her or Dad that I had quit drinking. Makes me wonder how much I was influencing others around me to drink because I was promoting it so much.

I was glad that my dark mood passed the day or so after my last post. Boozing is an easy out and covers up other things that don't automatically go away or get better because you're sober. So it makes sense that now that I'm sober and able to deal with more of these issues that they will be in mind to deal with. But I'm gradually learning to let things go without the need to shut down all thinking with alcohol.

On the positive side, I finally got around to checking by blood pressure again, and after quitting drinking it is almost normal. Before quitting, it was around 125/82 to 135/86. Now it is back down to 120/81.

Glad to hear that others are keeping straight and finding ways to better cope. Thanks for your comments and consideration.

Be well.

Lee
Old 06-27-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sos22032 View Post
Makes me wonder how much I was influencing others around me to drink because I was promoting it so much.
Welcome back sos...this is something I have wondered about too...

Glad you're feeling better -- both mood and especially blood pressure. That's a great gift of sobriety right there!

I'm on day 64 and hanging in there...today is a good day, even though my anxiety level is high. Not thinking about drinking, which is progress for me.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Glad to hear the updates. Welcome Mariano.

Had a busy weekend. Glad it's over.

Got a nice little surprise this morning. I haven't stepped on a scale in a few weeks because I'm disgusted that I haven't been losing any weight. Although I haven't actively been trying to lose any. But this morning I weighed myself and I've lost 3 pounds.

I think my fruit snack "addiction" is starting to fade and I find myself not eating everything in sight. So that's a good thing on many levels. Gives me a little motivation to try and lose more.

Hope everyone is having a great, sober Monday. Have a great week as well.

T
Old 06-27-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hello, aprilers, how are you doing? This thread is not very active. I'm feeling OK, but for some insomnia. How many aprilers are in this forum?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Excellent on the weight loss ttqttfg -- I put on a few pounds and I am SO not happy with myself. If I had a three pound loss, I'd want to celebrate...the question would be how/with what?.....

hmmmm...maybe an dunkin' donuts iced hazelnut decaf with splenda and skim milk......better than booze or more chocolate!

Keep up the good work -- I hope to catch up with you both in sobriety days and weight loss pounds
Old 06-28-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi Mariano....I'm doing good, I occasionally have the insomnia too, but last night I got a good night's sleep for a change and I feel fantastic today! What a difference it makes!

I don't know the exact number of aprilers we have, and we've dwindled down in terms of regular posters, but hopefully we will all hang in there and eventually celebrate our first anniversary month together!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

What you won't miss?

Yeah we're a slow bunch in this group. But we're staying sober so that's all that counts.

So to generate some "chatter" I thought I'd post this question. I know it's been done in other treads but it's good every once in a while to go over it again and remember.

What I won't miss now that I'm sober:

The obvious: not waking up with a hangover & headache, being dehydrated and not able to remember what happened the night before.

The lack of energy and sleepless nights.

I won't miss the lying and sneaking around, wondering where I'll get enough money for the next 6-pack or bottle of cheap whiskey.

I won't miss my kids asking to me play with them or spend time with them and promising that I will but then am to drunk or tired or so wrapped up in myself that I never do anything with them.

The look and feeling of disgust that I'd get from my wife.

The feeling that I'm a worthless piece of **** drunken loser.

I could go on but I'll leave it at that for now.

Definitely enjoying my sober life!!!