Notices

Whiners Anonymous Part 52

Old 02-26-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sometimes I wish I could be a more regular part of this forum, but I don't usually have that much to whine about.

Wait! That's a whine, right?!!
Old 02-26-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

no whine is too small Suki....your coffee can get cold, you don't want to cook, the ice cream is the wrong flavor...the light turned red too fast, gas prices went up 20 cents a gallon, ice cream went up $2.00 a pint....

i had leftover eggplant rolletini for dinner, but i hate the cheese filling...good thing Sammy likes it..just a couple of tsp for him...little dog, little tummy.

Bam for some reason i like more salt after being ill, good old Lipton chix. noodle the neon yellow is somehow comforting....this is also my go-to "snack" with baby spinach thrown in...i try for extra veggies however i can get them down.

i'm still washing clothes...at 9PM.

least, stay awake!
Old 02-26-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Fandy I find the neon yellow soothing myself. I switched to Lipton chicken noodle because I can't identify the little sponges that float around in the Oriental Ramen Noodles..wtf. I ate them..they are like sponge soaked in broth.
I really want to know why smoked oysters (in the can) are black light green? I noticed that eating them on crackers at work. Checked the date on the can..good to go. Oysters are one of those things you eat in private. Especially green oysters.
And why is it that coffee mate cream never expires? Check it out..no dates to be found.
By the way..I bought the Ramen Noodles at Sams club..institutional case of them. I will be eating sponge for a looooong time.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Bigger whine (Suki et al small whines are great too!):

Tonight I went for dinner and movie with my friend who has recently been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. For those that don't know: this is one of the worst cancers. Even though his was caught very early - he could well have many good years - the prognosis is usually very grim.

He is having a very hard time with this, very emotionally fragile. No wonder.

I've even googled "what do you say when..." type information and I'm pretty spot-on so far; I speak to him from my heart and acknowledge that really I have no clue what it's like to get a diagnosis like this. Along with a friend of his from work, I'm getting all mommy-ish and cooking him meals, but beyond that and listening I am not sure what else to do. I've suggested talking to his onc-doc about anti depressants (he did and just started) and joining f2f or online forums for cancer patients (I don't think he has) but I feel both concerned and like a horrible person because I am the closest friend he has and I am worried that I'm the only person he is really leaning on. His only other friends are work-only friends, and friends of mine that he's gotten to know. He is a very intelligent, but shy and socially awkward person. He says he can't relate to strangers (I point out that six years ago I was a stranger, everyone is until you get to know them) and he is not a joiner-type person.

In other words, I worry that he invests a lot more in me than the other way around; I do not feel equipped to be his only close friend in this journey, and feeling that way makes me feel crappy and selfish. But I really like him (we are platonic, not romantic, friends) and think the best thing for him is to develop a wider network of support. Especially for down the road - and it may be a few years - when he's going to need possibly more help and support than just someone listening to him and allowing him to cry.

On a lighter note...MsCooter, I try never to eat anything that doesn't have an expiry date.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

(Stevie)

While not having a personal association with a loved one who had pancreatic cancer, I've personally had skin cancer myself, have recently supported my sister through thyroid cancer, saw my dad through lung cancer and took care of my mom through emphysema during her end of life.

My experience has been that my loved ones didn't like to be coddled while they were sick, esp if it was terminal...and many of them worry more about us than themselves...even while they're learning to deal with their own disease and mortality and worrying that we haven't or can't or don't know how or never will understand it.

I learned not to add to my loved ones' burden because of this. They don't need to be worried more about us than what they're going through.

What I did (and still do since there unfortunately seems to be no letting up on diseases that afflict our loved ones) is to keep things as "normal" as possible.

It's awesome that you went to dinner and a movie with your friend; keeping on this track of living day-by-day is the best thing you can do in my experience.

It doesn't mean you don't care. Your friend knows this.

Envisioning "the worst" that has yet to come now is not living; your friend also knows this.

I don't mean to simplify this, Stevie.

This has just been my experience

Also, sometimes listening - even in the best of health - is all a friend really needs.

You're a good person and friend.

Best wishes and prayers to you and your friend.

All any of us have is today.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  
Strive to be alive!

rusty - it's all white I'm a little slow. Frontal lobe is not yet completely revived

fandy - now that you're just about finished with cleaning there, you ready to come to my house?

bam - did you really post a whine about this?
I forgot...I had a headache too...and now it's gone.
Or was that supposed to go into the gratitude thread? The important thing is you're on the mend. Pleased to hear you're feeling better.

I still don't have any whines here! What the heck's going on! Maybe I can come up with one tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have the same ol' whine I've had for the last two nights... did it again...woke up at midnight... Might as well start feeding the dogs at noon and midnight...

Other than that, I'm ready to go back to bed for the night. Still tired. Nighty night whiners.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:05 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

I will whine, but not wine
Old 02-27-2011, 02:25 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

yep suki, thats an official whine

stevie

HB said a lot

i work with a sponcee having terminal cancer,

and IMO,

a support group is very helpful.

just lost a dear friend from cancer last week,

and she was the outgoing type,

that lived rightly, and enjoyed her live to the end.

an ear is great, it's still up to the individual what they do with their time spent left on earth.

your a good friend, just try not to get too engulfed in it.

whine on kids
Old 02-27-2011, 03:22 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by TotallyOverIt View Post
I will whine, but not wine
Same here. Welcome. And welcome to everyone who recently stepped aboard. The more whiners the better.

My intestines are still messed up...but I haven't puked in over 24 hours. That's good. And my stomach was growling this morning. Also good. I'm not sure I'll eat much today (that's really saying something)...at least pictures of heavy foods are no longer making me ill at sight. I'll probably keep it easy today: yogurt, bananas, rice, soup...stuff like that.

(((Stevie)))

Don't know what to say...wishing the best for your friend and you.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:32 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

We are almost packed and planning to leave tomorrow morning sometime. Knowing Bubba, he could decide to leave later today "to get a few hours under our belts"

Not only do I not know for certain, but last night he suggested taking a totally different route home...one that is about 3 hours longer and very boring scenery and absolutely NOT what CAA/AAA or Mapquest or anyone that knows anything suggests.

Queeny says...we are sticking to the route we came down with, "north" hasn't moved since we came, and Bubba needs to listen to Queeny's directions.

Aside from all that, it should be a nice whiny Sunday here.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:33 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((Stevie)))

D
Old 02-27-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Humble, thank you (PM'd you)...this is what I've been trying to do - keep it normal, tell him he is not his disease, he's still him, we text or call every day, I've encouraged mutual acquaintances to contact him and encouraged him to keep those lines of communication open. I've also asked him for advice on other mundane things so he feels useful.

Last night I suggested a class in something fun and non-work related an evening per week, because he holds it together for work then falls apart every night. I've also suggested a cancer support group so he can have (and give) support to people going through it but I don't think he'll do that.

I guess my biggest concern is that I am the ONLY person he really has as a friend outside of work friends and his 19 year old son (who doesn't live with him). About a week ago I misplaced my phone for most of a Saturday and when I found it he'd been calling/texting me every 15 minutes, for hours.

Not only do I think it will be healthier for him to have a wider circle of people he can feel vulnerable with, at some point he'll need more support and help than just one friendly shoulder to cry on. Luckily he has a good salaried job with excellent benefits so he'll get all the medical care he needs.

Rusty, true words....in the end, we all own our own lives, right.

Happy Sunday whines, not wines, everyone!
Old 02-27-2011, 04:41 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stevie YOu're doing the right thing. Bless you both.

Welcome to whiners, Totallyoverit.

I have no whines as I got to sleep in a a bit, Jack didn't wake me up at six like he usually does. I'm having my first cuppa and Jack is lying on my rug so all's right with my world.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Not only do I think it will be healthier for him to have a wider circle of people he can feel vulnerable with, at some point he'll need more support and help than just one friendly shoulder to cry on. Luckily he has a good salaried job with excellent benefits so he'll get all the medical care he needs.
Stevie, this is healthy thinking...for him and for you.

As a recovering codependent I know how hard it is to be thought of as "the one", the one they can always count on, the one they can lean on, the one to make them happy or wipe their tears when they are sad. We don't hold the key to their happiness, they do. The sooner we allow them to find a healthier way to live, the happier they and we become.

Your friend is in my prayers, this must be a terrible emotional time for him and living in fear is not living at all.

Hopefully he will surround himself with healthy support groups and learn to live well...regardless of how much time he may or may not have.

Hugs
Old 02-27-2011, 05:44 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Stevie you are being a really good friend and i think you have suggested very helpful activities where he can relate....pancreatic cancer has a very low survival rate...look at Patrick Swazee who got a lengthy amount of time and then I look at Mr. Fandy's dentist who collapsed in his office, got the prognosis and died 10 days later...at least he got his affairs in order.

my brother was dx'd with parotid cancer in 2006...the survival rate for 10 years is under 25%...he is a miracle...5 years later his scans continue to be clean...but the treatment was extremely aggressive....2 major, lengthy surgeries in 4 days...daily chemo/radiation for 6? weeks with all the drugs that I thought he would need a methadone program to get over them.....oral thrush, we were not allowed to say "feeding tube", we repeatedly asked him how the "PIC-line" was working out.

when your friend is undergoing his regimen...hydration therapy every week (done at the oncologists office) will help a lot.

back to whining selfishly.....i have to go to work today...i am tired and grumpy, i need an IV dose of coffee.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  
Strive to be alive!

Ask and ye shall receive. I have a whine today!

I had a dream last night (or should I say nightmare) that I was drinking and partying I swear I woke up with a hang over! I have the headache from H-E-double hockey sticks this morning! Waiting for the Tylenol to kick in now so I can have a successful productive day.

Whine on Whiney Iney's!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

ooooh, you just reminded me, I had a nightmare last night too.....Mr. Fandy was humming in my bed!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just had a terrible scare!! Was taking my morning meds and heard one bounce and couldn't find it!!! Looked all over with a flashlight and couldn't find it. Didn't want the dogs finding and eating it, didn't know which one it was, tho any of them could be very bad for the dogs. Finally took the vacuum to my den and vac'd all over hoping to get it.... then found it sitting on the edge of my keyboard! It was the small dose aspirin, which could have been very bad for the dogs... so glad I found it... and now my den rug is clean!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Whewww, Least, well done!!

I am packed, bedding and towels changed, fridge cleaned and groceries distributed to worthy neighbour who made me cookies...and maps all organized in my "travel" bag of stuff for the road.

If you don't see me here...I am somewhere else...trying to get Bubba to pay attention to directions...heading home.