Notices

Class of October 2010 Sobriety Group Part 2

Old 12-20-2010, 12:38 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Alldoneagain View Post
Hi All,
thanks for making me feel so welcome here, great comfort can be found in like minded people, especially when u feel like u've been out on the edge alone for such a long time. I have a feeling that myself and my family may end up oweing a lot to you guys when all is said and done. while i know whole heartedly that i am better off sober and should not ever drink again i still find myself asking those pathetic questions on a daily basis about why i cant just drink like others? why life is the way it is? why we do what we do? how did i get here? all very very frustrating stuff. I feel like i have lost control over so much of my life and still am trying to figure out the whole "chicken and the egg" thing about which came first? the problems that led to the drinking or the drinking that created the problems? a little of both i suspect. its so hard to be working so hard at not drinking and still have to face so much pain everyday because of bad decisions that were made by myself and others while i was drunk. Thanks everyone for all the insight and encouragement i find in your posts here. it really makes me feel less alone.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:43 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Its ironic how you spoke of the problems which we have to face even after we stop,i had posted on my face book status that i was very thankful to be clean although it is a damn trigger having to deal with the active using _uck ups,on a great note this is where the turning our will and out life over to the care of a god of our understanding is simplified ,ya know!!!it helps so much just to be able to relate,wouldn't everyone agree???
Old 12-20-2010, 04:03 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Hiya everyone. Hope you're all ok. Greetings from snowy Ireland. Day 77 for me but sick with a nasty cold or flu so it will be a short post but i will write more tomorrow night as i am dying to tell you all about my sober works christmas party at the weekend. I was so proud of myself as i walked across the reception of this fantastic hotel, still in my heels at 3.30am sober on my way to bed, while all around me was like a drunken battleground after the war where alcohol seemed to be the winner in most cases but thank god not with me!! So pleased. Talk tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:26 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Very Cool, Moo Moos! And very happy for your victory over the weekend party! I can just imagine the scene as around you as your heading to your room - all those people doing what we used to do - seeing the insanity of it all.
Sorry you're sick though - hope you feel better soon...

Hope everyone else is well!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:29 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words R4R!

Moo, way to effin' go!!!! That's gotta be a great feeling strolling the lobby in your heals SOBER! I'm proud of you!!

TDC, Isa, dee74, and the rest of you guys/gals- I hope you are all doing well!

I had the Wonderful pleasure of Christmas shopping over the weekend, spending as much time in the hallmark store picking out just the right cards for each family member as I did finding their gifts, then coming home on Sunday after working with my sponsor and doing my meetings to just sit down, relax, and write a nice one or two paragraphs in each family members card so that this year when they open them it won't be just 'Merry Christmas, Love me' - I opened my heart up and wrote something real, honest, and meaningful to each one of them and tried my best to let them all know how much each one of them is uniquely special to me and very much a part of who I am today. What a joyous feeling.

Of course, as soon as I put the package of gifts and cards in the hands of Fedex, I started to panic thinking I got all 'alcoholic' and wrote too much, or the wrong things, or whatever......then I just told my head it needs to go sit in the corner cuz it's on timeout!

Amazing how quickly we can doubt ourselves....of course, I'm a firm believer that the alcohol was just a symptom and so I have to discard these first thoughts, not own them, and constructively create my 2nd or 3rd thoughts and call them my own!

Happy that everyone seems to be here and still posting and sober and seemingly in a good place. I was speaking to a new comer to AA the other day on the phone, he said to me 'gosh, I just didn't accomplish much of anything today...' - and so I suggested to him as was suggest to me that he consider a day without using or drinking, especially in early sobriety, a day of enormous accomplishment and not be so hard on himself. I think we owe it to ourselves even after we get 30, 60, 90 days or a handful of years to remember that...Good night guys.

Ps. TomD hope you are well mate!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Ps. TomD hope you are well mate!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heck yeah... I am doing great. Thanks for asking. I am self employed (one man architectural office) and I am down to just a couple of projects that need to be done this week. After working 12 to 14 hour days in my office, doing computer drawings, I just don't have it in me to come home at night and sit in front of my home computer and write so more. I do lurk several times a day to check up on you guys.

After Friday, I hope to have more time to regroup. Right now I just going on auto-pilot for the next couple of days.

Looking forward to a very happy and soberly weekend visiting my daughter in Los Angeles.

I even stopped counting days, but I know it is over 80. I have been sober before for long periods of time, but I always had the feeling that I was not done for good.

This time, I really feel like I have embrace a new sober "mind set" and there is absolutely no reason for me to pick up a bottle again. I have a new outlook this time around and I thank each and every one of you here in SR and especially in this thread, for helping see that.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

On the way out to work, but TDC great post! I like the new "mind set" perspective/attitude/personality change- whatever you wanna call it, it rocks! Way to go! Have a great day all!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:42 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Hey Forwardlooking.....How are you doing?

Mik? you still out there? How about you Alldoneagain?

I worry about you guys when you don't post in a while.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:29 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm going out of town from tomorrow so Merry Christmas to all you guys
have a safe and happy holidays

D
Old 12-23-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas and happy new year to you too dee74! We'll do our best to behave in your absence....(maybe!) j/k Cheers mate!
Old 12-23-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Holy effin Sh!t......it's day SIXTY!!!!!! Yes!!!! Woot!!!!

Alright....almost forgot to share that with my SR peeps!!! Gotta run to work, you all have a beautiful day.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:05 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by SwanSong View Post
Holy effin Sh!t......it's day SIXTY!!!!!! Yes!!!! Woot!!!!
Language please..... this is a family show, right? Just kidding. That is great news. Let me be the first one to congratulate you.

If I remember right from your first posts, you have been around and tried this sobriety thing a couple of times before.

I have too, and I know that this time is different for me, and it is because my internal desire to live sober is so much stronger than the one that drove me to get in-TOXIC-ated at every one of life's turns (good, bad, indifferent or just for the heck of it).

I have the sense that you are on the same page. Congratulations to you Swansong, and lets keep looking forward to healthy sobriety.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

Hi everyone! I haven't had computer access for a little bit, and also BUSY!

For some reason, now that I'm sober and solid in my recovery, I am in the thick of it with helping other people in my life who are coming out of their own drunks. Three other people close to me are dealing with a wide variety of recovery issues, soup to nuts, and I'm sure it's no accident of the universe that I've been available to help them. Everything seems to be going according to some grander plan; I'm just following along....

I guess I'm 2 months and 3 weeks sober now. I am still involved with AA although not as much as before having that weird exchange with my ex-sponsor... I'm not going to be so quick to trust another AA again on that level. But, I am not drinking and have almost no desire to do so. My only remaining desire for a drink is about the flavor experience, not about wanting the effect of alcohol. As in, "ooh, I'd really like to try that wine with this meal." I doubt that will ever leave me entirely. Just like my body can't tolerate cheese anymore; I still think about it even though I can't eat it -- but I'm not going to put my health at risk just because I think something will taste good.

I'm looking forward to a more settled life in the new year! Hope you are all doing well; it's good to see everyone's posts. I'm sorry I'm not contributing much here these days; seems I've been handed much to do to help other alcoholics in the offline world. Carry on the great work, y'all!
Old 12-23-2010, 06:55 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomdecelt View Post
I have the sense that you are on the same page. Congratulations to you Swansong, and lets keep looking forward to healthy sobriety.
Indeed TDC we are. I've zero plans of going back to the insanity, and lots of plans about progressing forward!

Heading out, will try to write something tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing well. Carribean glad to see you posting and to know that you're still sober even if you're spending more time IRL than online! Sober is Sober!!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Hi tomdecelt and all. I'm doing fine and still off the booze. Will be two months Boxing Day and feels good. The demons are getting less noisome, but I will always look out for them every day; today and always. I will never forget.

Although I don't post much here I do still keep in touch with the thread.

Wishing you all a Happy Christmas!
Old 12-24-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hello, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, pleasant sobriety and all that to all of you.

Been more of a lurker lately. I think for a couple weeks I might have over-did it on SR so I've slowed down to put a little moderation back in place, but still peeking in just about everyday.

Things are going well here. Just Christmas stuff. In the tradition I come from Christmas Eve is a little more celebrated/involved than Christmas itself so my holiday starts winding down now.

Next week is going to be scary/exciting. A three year plan is going to come to fruition, I am going to start working on a move. I need to start organizing my stuff, get my new residence set up formally, and I could be relocated in less than a month!
Old 12-25-2010, 12:25 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Isa. Just got in from a meeting and realized it is technically Christmas day now. Sorry Merry (SOBER) Christmas to everyone here on SR!!!!

I am going to a detox center tomorrow to try and carry the message so I need to unwind and crawl into bed so I'll try to post tomorrow but if not for I'll try to on Sunday (pretty busy schedule tomorrow).

I wish you all the best, may you all have a very blessed, safe and sober Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hi Everyone - Merry Christmas!

I haven't been feeling well the past couple days... head cold / sinus thing going on, but it's wiping me out. BUT it's well into the holidays and I'M SOBER!!! THAT is a miracle, ladies and gentlemen! And I have SR and God to credit for that... so Thanks

Thanks for the post Caribbean - glad you're doing ok!

Swan - HUGE congrats on the sixty days! Way to go! Doesn't it actually feel good being sober and telling others about it.... great job

Isaiah - Glad things are coming together. Change is always challenging and sometimes scarey, but necessary for growth. A new season in your life... Fresh and clean. Just a thought that passed through my mind

Anyway, going to go lay down on the couch... this is day 80 for me (just had to count)!

Have a great night!
Old 12-25-2010, 10:09 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 80 Really!

Yes, it totally feels great to share what we have with others who want it!

What a wonderful Christmas this was today! Absolutely amazing, very tired from a day full of events and going to call it a night now but I hope everyone made it through today sober and is doing great!
Old 12-25-2010, 10:09 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Oh, and thanks for the grats Really. It's just another day sober, but it 'does' feel good to hit certain milestones.