Notices

Class of October 2010 Sobriety Group Part 2

Old 11-17-2010, 07:46 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

Hi everyone, been a while since I checked in so just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm still here and still sober! I got laid off unexpectedly last week, and all I can think about is how grateful I am that I am not drinking, because what a mess that would have been. I would have fallen into a bottle, mixed with self-pity, self-doubt, and other selfishness -- instead, thanks to my last 1.5 months of recovery, I not only know that I am going to be OK but I have a huge network of support through AA to give me all kinds of perspectives on my situation. I am incredibly thankful.

Wishing you all well -- congrats, deeCelt, on staying sober over the weekend! Mick, so sorry for your loss. Everyone else, great to hear from you. It's inspiring to read your posts.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:32 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by Alldoneagain View Post
Still here and really just cant believe it! I cant believe how strong I can be when I want to. Thanks again to all of you who give me the inspiration to keep going, I log on most days just to read all of your posts. I still after all these weeks fight the urge to drink every day, I spend a lot of time thinking about drinking still, more than I would like but I'm doing my best to find things to distract myself from those thoughts as best as I can. Myself and my family are better off when I am sober, I know this to be true now, and am determined to stay sober, even if just for today...................I'll start all over agin tomorrow.
Good to hear from you All. This is exactly my sentiment. We are in the same boat. Got to keep moving forward. I just want to get to a place in my life where I don't have to think about alcohol. The obsession not to drink can be very debilitating, but nowhere as much as nursing a hangover day in and day out. I know the day will come.

Sorry about your parrot, Mik. I don't know anything about birds, but after 20 some years, I am sure it has created a void in your home.

Hang in there Carib. I am self employed and two years ago I was on top of the world financially. It all has come crashing down on me these past two years. But I will take a day sober over one of riches if I have to depend on booze. Just got to keep your mind occupied.

Got to run, but just wanted to wish everyone a great day. Back to "normalcy" for me, sober and in control.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:29 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you find employment again soon Caribbean

D
Old 11-17-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Evening, all. Thanks for all the condolence messages.... I know it seems like a small thing, but having an animal in your life for 20+ years, well, animal people out there, you know what I'm talking about.

AllDoneAgain - Good to hear from you, and that you're doing well... You said "I cant believe how strong I can be when I want to," and I am totally with you on that sentiment.... there is no limit to the things a person can do when s/he puts her/his mind to a task.

Caribbean - so sorry to hear about your sudden lay-off, but you've got a great attitude and a great support network, and I hope that will go a long way toward getting you a new job soon. Also, I think you said your birthday was on the 20th or thereabouts, so here's wishing you a happy, healthy, and sober birthday.

deeCelt - I was so caught up in your birthday battle against the bottle post that I forgot to wish you a happy birthday.... so, belated Happy Birthday!

24 Days and counting, and I'm feeling pretty good about that ;-)

By your thoughts you are daily, even hourly, building your life; you are carving your destiny.
~ Ruth Barrick Golden
Old 11-18-2010, 04:06 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

I drank last night so I'm out of the October group.

I'll check in to lend some encouragement from time to time.

Congrats to all of you. Be well!
Old 11-18-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your misstep, TJP. Good luck going forward.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

oh folks, I am having a terrible time with my computer and it wouldnt let me post this week. Gonna test this and then post again.....pls work...I need and miss you all....still sober...46 days
Old 11-18-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

That worked. Congrats on 46 Days, Moo Moos. I can't wait to get there.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

ok computer seems to be working now. I was starting to panic as wanted you all to know I was ok but had system problems so here I go....

Hi everyone...I am really well, bit tired though. Got back from my weekend in Oslo, Norway which was lovely and great fun with my friends. It was however another TEST which I passed but I was surrounded by meals, airport bars and a good bit of alcohol....but THANK GOD I stayed strong and never flinched from sobrierty. Funny how many non-alcohol drinks they have on offer over there, so it wasnt as bad as I thought. Funny though as alcohol is soooooooooooooooo expensive over there which was even better for me

I was upset on Saturday night and phoned home almost in tears. I have made a decision NEVER to have alcohol. As I am only 38 I realise that this is a really big commitment but one I am ready to commit to. My problem was that during the desserts on Saturday night I took a taste of my pals tiramasu dessert, which unknown to me was laced with alcohol....I was so angry with myself for being caught off guard. I had two spoons before I noticed. I know it is not the same as having wine but ALCOHOL IS ALCOHOL to me and I was really fed up!! I wondered what your thoughts were on this?? My husband told me not to worry and stop being so hard on myself as he knew how hard I am trying which was comforting.

Anyway Deecelt I really felt for you with your weekend post, fair play to you for remaing true to yourself. I am sure it was not an easy path but well done to you!!!

Carribean...thats terrible about the job, such a difficult time and you are in my thoughts.

Mick....I am so so sorry to hear about your Parrot. As you can see from previous posts most of us are real animal lovers and empathise with you. We had our last dog for 16 years and myself and my husband were really gutted when she died.

TJP...what happened,,,,why why why?? It is so disappointing for you

Isaiah...glad to see you doing well

Really4real, eaglesfan and alldoneagain and anyone I have missed...pls keep posting as at times I am sure we all need to hear how it is going for everyone. I really love logging on to catch up and I need your positivity. Anyway thats all for now. Talk tomorrow
Old 11-18-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by Moo Moos View Post
I had two spoons before I noticed. I know it is not the same as having wine but ALCOHOL IS ALCOHOL to me and I was really fed up!! I wondered what your thoughts were on this?? My husband told me not to worry and stop being so hard on myself as he knew how hard I am trying which was comforting.
Hi Moo,

Glad you got your computer working. Same thing happened to my Dad. He died a recovering alcoholic and he was once served a cake with rum in it and he went through the roof. At the time I thought he was being a little bit theatrical. Kind of like looking for attention.

Since you asked us, I tend to agree with your husband. You did not deliberate flushed alcohol in your mouth to get high. In my book, as long as you are doing everything within your power so stay on a sober path you should be OK. Just keep pointing your compass in the right direction and keep moving onward.

And stay away from those desserts, especially if you don't know what is in them. I happen to be allergic to desserts..... they make me fat.... so I stay away from them. Now a tinny piece of dark chocolate, different story.

Good to hear from you.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:23 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry tjp. No need to be a stranger tho - we don't check sobriety IDs at the door here

Good to see you back Moo Moo...if you didn't know there was alcohol in the tiramisu, I think you can stop being hard on yourself 46 days is awesome

It might be an idea to ask about food dishes and things in future if this is important to you tho?

D
Old 11-18-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Evening, friends. Feeling really good today at the end of Day 25.

tjp - You started this thread, and from that one little message you posted on October 3rd, just look at all the like-minded people who've joined up and supported, cajoled, encouraged, and inspired one another through this very thread, that YOU started. Really, just go back to the beginning and re-read all of the posts, all there because you started this thread. You set the spark that got this whole thing moving....Please don't drop out.... we're all pulling for you.

Moo Moos - glad to see you back.... I miss your posts ;-) As for the tiramisu, well, I agree with your husband, quite frankly... you're being way too hard on yourself. You didn't know, and you didn't eat it once you discovered it. Over and done with.

Wishing all of you a very pleasant and sober evening.

If you fail, learn, and move on, you're growing.
~Sylvie
Old 11-18-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Yea Moo Moos on that 46 days... and counting! I'm right behind you with 42 as of midnight! Since I don't plan on going out in the next two hours... I think I can safely say it's in the bag. I wouldn't worry about the laced dessert - you didn't know and then you stopped (as opposed to a drink in which case you probably wouldn't have stopped?!?). In my book, it doesn't count.

Eagles Fan -- you're getting there! You're around three weeks aren't you? Between this thread and another I'm starting to have a hard time keeping up!

TJP - We all love ya and are still here for you. Don't stay away just because you slipped up - we all slip up (just in different areas).

Have a good Friday everyone -- off to Michigan for the day... my job requires a monthly visit to make sure they're doing what they're supposed to be doing!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Off subject

Originally Posted by Really4Real View Post

Have a good Friday everyone -- off to Michigan for the day... my job requires a monthly
Fellow members of this group, please excuse this post as it is totally off subject, but I don't know how else to ask. (Is there a way to pers. message?)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
R4R,

I noticed you are from Ohio and you are going someplace in Michigan for the day. I have traveled a lot, but I have never been to either state. Very ironically, both states are fresh in our minds.

My son has applied to 8 schools all over the country and so far he has three acceptances. Two of the 3 have not only chimed in with acceptance letters but they have offered him scholarships.

They are University of Toledo, Ohio and Eastern Michigan U. Ann Arbor. Do you know anything about either school? Once we hear from all the other schools we will look at it in more detail but he is very exited that he will be leaving home soon. The letter from Toledo came in yesterday's mail so this is all too new for us.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Again, if there is a way to communicate "off-board" please let me know.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 08:01 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Administrator

Up at the top right hand side of every page - under where it will say 'Welcome DeeCelt' - click the private messages link.

Scroll down the left hand side of the page that opens, and you'll find 'send new message'. Enter the member name you want

D
Old 11-19-2010, 01:50 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

deeCelt - If R4R has no info, shoot me a private msg. I grew up in northern Ohio and graduated from Ohio State University.
Mick
Old 11-19-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Really4Real View Post
Eagles Fan -- you're getting there! You're around three weeks aren't you? Between this thread and another I'm starting to have a hard time keeping up!
I'm 25 days sober now, rapidly approaching a whole month!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:51 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

DC - I send you a private message on the school thing (you can retrieve it from the upper right corner also where you sign in).

Eagles Fan - way to go -- 25 and counting -- whooo hooo!!! Awesome.

I guess I did find a squeeze of time to get on here after all -- better get to work though, so I can get home at a decent hour!

Happy (sober) Friday!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Nearly 25 days here. A pretty miserable Friday night for me, so tonight has been hard - but I'm still hanging in there.

Sorry to read of your slip, tjp - I guess you've heard all the advice, so I won't try to give you any: but I hope it works out well next time.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

Hi everyone,

Thanks to all for the best wishes about my job situation. I have a little bit of time to decide what I want to be doing, and I know that however it turns out will be fine. Even if it's hard, it's still fine.

tjp -- I echo everyone else's thoughts. If it helps you to continue posting here (and I know it would be great for us to continue to hear about your experiences) -- please do! You are very welcome here. I hope you're doing OK.

MooMoos -- I had that experience just the other day, where I tasted a free sample at a gourmet chocolate shop -- yep, it had liqueur in it. I felt an immediate sense of "oh my god! Did I blow it? Does this mean I am going to start drinking again?!" -- but those weren't rational thoughts. It was just how I learned that, in this new sober life of mine, I need to have strong vigilance for foods that might contain alcohol, which I never had to think about before. In your shoes, I would chalk it up to a learning experience and give myself permission to let it go.

I changed my physical location recently and am again among the people and places where I did the worst of my drinking. Choppier seas ahead? Remains to be seen; will keep you all posted. Thanks so much for being here.