Notices

Class of October 2010 Sobriety Group Part 2

Old 12-05-2010, 09:27 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Dismember

Day 35, passed.

Still can hear the voice of many in AA who told me never to say I've made it through a day without drinking until I wake up the next morning. But at this point I would have to get dressed, steal a car and hurry to a store. That or smash through a window. I'm insane but I'm not that insane.

Up and down day. Still planning my trip. Tried to print out my flight conformation and had a bitter fight with my family's printer. Realized that I forgot a friend was going to be in town next week and she's pretty miffed I have to cancel my plans to hang out with her. Still, all is going according to plan. Glad I found a small pair of scissors tucked away in my carry-on bag, after reading that apparently to even try to bring such a thing through airport security is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail (seriously?!) Just the thought that in 48 hours I get to see my girl again is just fanflippintastic.

On my trip I'm going to be hitting up an opera, which I haven't done in years. I'm promised to be treated to lots of great food. Also get to see several friends I haven't seen in years, two of whom are going to introduce me to some AA meetings. And I'm meeting with a couple non-profits I might come work for when I move out there in a month or so.

I'll be around tomorrow night I'm sure, but after that I wont be taking my laptop with me so I'll be off SR for a week. Hope all of you have had a pleasant weekend and a good week to come.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Nice Isa- Sounds like you're excited and ready to go for you trip! Good for you!

Enjoy the time with your GF and friends. Most of all be safe, sober, happy.

Off to work now....peace!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Congrats on 60 days Gr8ful42tday (a little late - but at least I got it in!)...

Today will be 60 for me or two months -- not sure which I want to count - or maybe both!!

Isaiah - yeah, be careful out there - especially on Friday nights... whew - that's just cwazy!! When the weather is nice out and it's daylight, I still don't like to run on the streets - in the best of conditions, but I understand not being able to get around it - when there aren't any sidewalks around... then again, drivers have been known to drive on sidewalks too...hmmmmmm....
Hey, have fun on your trip - you sound excited about it... it's cool to get excited about things -- gets those endorphins and serotonin levels up there. Keep safe and sober, my friend.

I don't really have much of an issue on sleeping anymore -- but I do workout / run almost every night, so that helps immensely.

Hi Alldone, Raindaince, Dee, Swan, Grateful -- Great Job Everyone! Let's keep it going
Old 12-06-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by Really4Real View Post
Today will be 60 for me or two months -- not sure which I want to count - or maybe both!!
Got to run out the door, but could not do it without first giving you a great CONGRATS on the 60 days. Later....
Old 12-06-2010, 12:53 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Really

Swan, we put all the monthly threads in this Daily Support Forum when they get to 500 posts and a part 2...we used to have everything in one forum and newcomers to SR were being buried by the volume of group threads...

it was all very confusing to someone coming here for the first time

D
Old 12-06-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Dismember

Congrats on 60, Really4Real and Great!

My instinct, I don't know if this is how AA meetings go everywhere, is to clap and want to ask you "how did you do it?"

Still excited about my trip. The thought that I'll be on a plane this time tomorrow is pretty cool. And as for a sober trip, that's already in the bag. I asked a very old and very awesome friend in recovery out there if she can take me to a meeting Wednesday. She wrote back asking what type of meeting I'd prefer. Type of meeting? I don't know. Literally like 95-99% of my meetings have been at the same location with the same people in my three years of AA.

And I told a few more of my friends/co-drunks in AA that I am planning to move come January. They all wished me well, but honestly, deep down, I'm really, really going to miss all them so much. Saying good-bye is hard enough, but how do you say "good-bye and thanks for helping save my life?"
Old 12-06-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Belated contracts Really on the 60 days. Such a brilliant achiement.

Greetings everyone else. Just tucked up in bed sending this from my phone. Oh how fantastic is technology. Had a good sober weekend. Had lots of laughter and also lots of stress but thank god i didn't have any urges to drink. Isaiah mentioned something about knowing how to change the self destruct thoughts so i am trying this. I have also been more active and generally back on the positive buzz. I was reading posts about sleep and I'm the same, i could sleep for Ireland, as they say over here. Love the dreams too, like peter pan, never know where I'll end up ha ha

I also have been listening to aa speakers recordings before i sleep which are nice. Thinking of going to the meetings now as before i didn't feel ready and because of the voluntary work i do (not my day job) & the fact where live is quite small, i felt i needed to make sure i would remain anonymous, don't care now...must be recovering

Anyway. Night night night. Stay sober my friends
Old 12-06-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
And I told a few more of my friends/co-drunks in AA that I am planning to move come January. They all wished me well, but honestly, deep down, I'm really, really going to miss all them so much. Saying good-bye is hard enough, but how do you say "good-bye and thanks for helping save my life?"
I am not into goodbye's either. I like "see you later" better. It is tough especially when you are making wholesale environmental changes. New home, new job, etc. Can you keep up with them through e-mails or phone calls?

The other question is what are WE going to do without a week of Isaiah? Can you pop into an internet cafe and send us a note to make sure you are doing OK?

On the other hand you mentioned old friends good food and the Opera. That should be something to look forward to. Which Opera are you going to?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Dismember

I had the idea that I could send a letter to the church my homegroup meets at. They're an awesome bunch and would definitely forward it to my AA crew. Even if I move I will come back to the city I'm in a lot. I love Michigan and Ann Arbor dearly; this place will always be my home.

I might be able to log on to SR this week. I am going to be doing a lot of wandering and I might find an internet cafe. My girlfriend has a computer with internet access but I really don't want her to know about this site, so I wouldn't log in on her machine.

I'm going to see Turandot. Ought to be lots of fun. Apparently this performance will be a modernized version of the story, which is pretty cool just as long as they don't mess too much with Puccini's music.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:08 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Michigan and Ann Arbor dearly; this place will always be my home.
When you get back maybe we can PM about Ann Arbor. One of the school my son has been accepted to is Eastern Michigan University, but he has three other acceptances plus we are waiting to hear from a couple of other schools so I believe EMU is low on the totem pole right now.

My girlfriend has a computer with internet access but I really don't want her to know about this site, so I wouldn't log in on her machine.
Gee, thanks..... guys, we have been delegated to some obscure closet in Isaiah's life.....Talk about gratitude.....Just joking, I understand the issues with anonymity completely. I have mentioned to my wife a couple of times that the web page I spend some much time at (SR) is just a fitness and "self help" portal but I always switch windows, when she or anyone else walks into the room until it is safe.

Have a great trip.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:35 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Congrats Really and Gr8ful!!

Shout out to Alldone, Raindaince, Dee, tom, Grateful, Isa, (anyone I missed)..!!

Let's keep this class going!

Really- My plan is to start working out again by next week. I was really fit this last year, I already started cutting back on the cigs (which I picked back up when my drinking came crashing back into my life along with all kinds of trouble), cooking instead of eating frozen food, etc. - so I'm taking some baby steps and some scissor steps and while my body is aching for a good night at the gym I feel it is more important for me to stay immersed in my recovery program as my sobriety needs to be first. Next week I'm planning to change it up and do 1-3 'lunch' time meetings so I can workout at night and still get some face-to-face group recovery in on those days. This week I've already got lunch plans and evening meeting commitments - but one more week won't kill me. I am looking forward to getting in shape again though!!!! And yeah, I'm sure it'll help with my sleep too, thanks for the pointer!

Hope everyone had a great day. I'm slowly starting to feel better 'on the inside' which is exactly what I remember from the last time I got sober....However I plan to make it stick this time! Happy SR is here to come and read and post on after my AA meetings and before work, such a great compliment to my AA program! You guys/gals rock!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:41 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I missed Moo Moos! Shout out Probably someone else, tired...

Isa- sounds like you've got a solid plan for doing your trip and staying sober, right on brother!

Really tired...g'nite all!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:33 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Administrator

sleep well SwanSong
Hope you can at least keep us updated Isaiah - but regardless, enjoy yourself, man

D
Old 12-07-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by SwanSong View Post
Congrats Really and Gr8ful!!

Shout out to Alldone, Raindaince, Dee, tom, Grateful, Isa, (anyone I missed)..!!

Let's keep this class going!
We haven't heard from Mick and Caribbean in a while....you guys are out there?

My plan is to start working out again by next week. I was really fit this last year,
I tell you... the quest to live a fit, active and healthy lifestyle leaves absolutely no room in my life for booze. I have been doing some much more lately and have been blessed with such a positive outlook, why would I ever want to pick up a bottle again?

However I plan to make it stick this time! Happy SR is here to come and read and post on after my AA meetings and before work, such a great compliment to my AA program! You guys/gals rock!
Same here. I don't do AA, but I read and post a lot here instead. I get up every morning, and first thing I do is go online to check up the headlines to make sure WW3 someplace, then check my e-mail and log in to SR. I am reading and posting here even before my first cup of coffee!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Good Morning Everyone!

Crazy busy right now with work, exercising and making buckeyes (those peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate).... kind of a side job this time of year.

Little better emotionally, things are slowly getting resolved. Just need to allow myself to 'feel' and that it's ok to let it all go -- getting somewhat settled into the idea that I really need to do just that. Just let it all come up and out...

TDC - yeah, not much room in my life for booze either - but it still sends a bit of a tickle once in a while... just enough to let me know it's there and crouching at the door... but 'I'm NOT listening'!!!

SwanSong - You can touch on the Kickin Asphalt (part 2) thread under Fitness if you want to for some encouragement on the whole fitness thing...

Hope you all have a great day.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:28 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by Really4Real View Post
TDC - yeah, not much room in my life for booze either - but it still sends a bit of a tickle once in a while... just enough to let me know it's there and crouching at the door... but 'I'm NOT listening'!!!
Please don't misunderstand this.... I am a happily married man...... but if I see a pretty lady walking down the street, I look. Does that make me want to chase after her.... not if I want to continue living like a happily married man... but I do look.

Same with booze. I don't really get cravings anymore, but the "idea" of being able to have a drink sometimes shows up in my head out of nowhere, but I know that I can not live with the consequences of getting intoxicated if I want to remain a happily sober person....Cheers.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:15 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

TDC - cool analogy...

Had to work on a talk for something I'm doing tomorrow night, so I'm off to bed. It's great to be able to think straight for a change. Except my stupidness kicked in today. Had some Melatonin that I thought would help on those nights I can't sleep - although it seemed to have the opposite affect on me. I took it to work intending to give them to whoever actually took it and someone asked if it worked. I took one to prove what it does to me -- stupid move. Got pretty darn sleepy. Good thing it only lasted a few hours. Silly, silly me... won't be doing that again... like, EVER!

Now I'm going to bed, because I am actually tired :^)
Old 12-07-2010, 10:10 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Oh my god Really, I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read your post, it might have shot out my nose! I'm laughing with you, not at you! That sounds like something I'd do too....hey, at least you proved your point!

TDC- I like the analogy too. And I'll check out the fitness thread this weekend/next week.

Acceptance has been my companion lately, I'm happy to be able to feel it and just be with it.

And I hear ya, TDC, I'm on SR right after I get up (I try to remember to pray first, that's my thing tho) and then bam SR while coffee is brewing. I'm usually trying to figure out how much time I can get in on SR without being 'too' late for work haha! But I just stay late to make up for it if I am....plus I'm sober and thankfully my head is starting to clear. Well I just walked in from a meeting so time for some food then bed.

Thanks for the kind words mr. dee74.

hopefully we'll hear from mick and carribean soon..
Old 12-08-2010, 07:56 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Good morning class!

YES! Starting last Thursday the dreams have (maybe only temporarily but I'll take what I can get) stopped!!!!!! 5 nights in a row of peaceful sleep!!!

Well, I am off to work. I hope everyone has a sane, sober, happy & productive day. I'll try to drop in later tonight and say hi.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Evening, all. Poof! As quick as that, I gave up after 45 days of sobriety. About 4 hours ago, after seeing an ad for "Guiness Extra Stout" in a magazine, I talked myself into stopping for a 6-pack on my way home. I drank four and poured the last two down the drain. I could blame stress or marital strife or all kinds of things, but it was my decision. I did not want to do that, and I literally talked myself into it. Feeling pretty crappy right this minute, but I do not want to quit. I'm going to try to get back to my regular schedule of checking in here before and after work, at the very least. Sorry.